Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Framptonlive posted:

I have seen every episode and I have enjoyed watching all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

If Fox no longer makes any money from new Simpsons episodes, then why do they still make them?

Even if the episodes don’t make any money, they’re a loss-leader for the merchandising empire.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Ritznit posted:

It's super strange and unfun to see a show that used to offend particularly conservative mindsets the most make a full 180 and get praised by the internet edition of said particularly conservative mindsets.

The Simpsons failed to die a hero.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

They kinda did in that Homer was the cynical member of Generation X and played in a grunge band when he met Marge.

That's the official way they met until like, 3 years from now when they remake it for the early 2000s.

Homer and Marge meet in 2001, escaping from Tower 1 (which is where they put all the jerks).

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

No lath parger, you.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

There’s an episode where he opens either his 500th or 1000th Krusty Burger, but in any case Krusty just doesn’t make any sense.

No where in human history has a daytime cable access clown show ever topped ratings, and if Krusty were a national show he’d have to produce it from NYC or LA. He lives in a mansion with a private plane

:thejoke:

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Looks like those clowns in Congress did it again. What a bunch of clowns.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

I’m not popular enough to be different.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Flight of the Conchords, from New Zealand. I like them - shame they couldn’t have been used in a good episode of The Simpsons.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Frog Act posted:

Why can’t the Simpson’s writers even begin to match American Dad anymore, I wonder? They have similar repertoires of characters to work with and plenty of flexibility

The tradition of all dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the brains of the living.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Plan Z posted:

In the same season, there's an episode about Marge getting all buff.

This is also the episode where she rapes Homer.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Empty Sandwich posted:

They're on the church marquee as the Be Sharps, despite the fact that they haven't fired Wiggum and picked a name yet.

Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

“My barbershop quartet is also called The Be Sharps.”

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Tell me about how “cool” drunk driving is or what possible good reason there could be to have that in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vWHNwmzf1o

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

https://twitter.com/notjessewalker/status/1235687489828007936?s=21

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

https://twitter.com/visitKGZ/status/1244159005510991876?s=20

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

It’s clearly a borting accident.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Daikloktos posted:

I'd have sworn in the original airing of Martin's teenseason "Alone we are like these sticks, easily broken. But together, we form a mighty...", they didn't pop up the dictionary entry.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen it with a dictionary entry popping up.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

The end of WWII is where the U.S. is a Viking.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

brugroffil posted:

You need to listen to the jokes they AREN'T telling to really get it, man

I can do that with Seasons 10-32.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Last Chance posted:

Yeah and Woody Allen also just.. walks out of a drawn caricature of himself that an artist at an amusement park drew? I imagine there’s more to it than that, maybe some context in the episode, i don’t know. I do know for sure that the reason that drawing came to life is either really dumb or nonexistent.

Could be a Purple Rose of Cairo joke?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

FunkyAl posted:

I think someone on staff might like west side story, the trump thing was also a west side story parody. While this may feel out of character, I wager it makes perfect sense as the only remaining running show from a generation of animators that really liked Gilbert and Sullivan.

It's integrated marketing for the upcoming Spielberg remake of West Side Story, which is being distributed by Fox. :tinfoil:

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

dungeon cousin posted:

CHAVEZ: Hello Homer, I am the ghost of Ceasar Chavez.
HOMER: Huh! But why do you look like Cesar Romero?
CHAVEZ: Because you don't know what Ceasar Chavez looks like.

This is actually one of my favourite Simpsons jokes.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Thinking of golden age episodes that haven't aged well politically, I think I'd be more willing to criticise Mr Lisa Goes to Washington. I still like it, but it's hard not to call it naive at best.

The last part of that episode is clearly parodic, though.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

I think it's just that Irish jokes are considered to be fine now since the Irish are considered to be fully white.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

YeahTubaMike posted:

There's a movie out there called Loqueesha that was written, directed, and produced by the guy who also played the main character (Jimmy Saville)

The warning signs were all there.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Yeah, I think there are quite a few fun cameos in classic episodes: Leonard Nimoy, Bob Newhart, the baseball players, Mel Brooks, Sting, Aerosmith, the three surviving Beatles, Tom Jones, Linda Ronstadt, Adam West, Barry White, everyone in Krusty Gets Kancelled, The Ramones, Ernest Borgnine, Conan O'Brien, James Woods, James Taylor, Buzz Aldrin, Mickey Rooney, everyone in Homerpalooza, and there's probably more I'm forgetting. Some of these added very little to the episodes overall, but still had at least one good joke.

Joe Frazier arguing with Barney over who the greatest British Prime Minister was.

Rascar Capac fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 20, 2021

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Apparently I'm just putting my own jokes together out of pieces of episodes.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

You Are A Elf posted:

But The Simpsons was loooooooong loving dead and buried before the Disney buyout. That loving article :lmao:

The article repeatedly states this.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

bitterandtwisted posted:

The first half of the Mr X episode is good but I'd never heard of the Prisoner when I first saw it so I was left thinking "what the gently caress is this nonsense?"
Classic Simpsons was full of references too, but they were handled well and largely invisible if you didn't get it.

Yes, while I don't think the Mr. X episode is terrible, it leans very hard on the Prisoner stuff, in a way that's a forerunner of stuff like "this week we're just doing Game of Thrones".

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

The Prisoner is from 1967, and maybe is/was a bigger thing in the UK rather than the US? I think screenwriters really like it because it radically expanded what you could do in a TV show, particularly one that's ostensibly a genre show.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah

I'm not a huge fan of the UK office but that show understood that David Brent was a horrible person. The American had that for like one season before pivoting to make their Brent/Scott more of a awkward but loveable doofus. Like they were worried that having an unlike character front and center would confuse the audience.

Interestingly, this sentimentality then looped back to infect Ricky Gervais, who made the feature film David Brent: Life on the Road (2016) to say to us that actually, isn't David Brent a lovable hero?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Mantis42 posted:

That's not canon anymore, Homer was now in a screamo band in 2006.

*Billboard saying "Scream"*

[Homer screams]

*Wind moves bushes so that the billboard reads "Screamo"*

[Homer screams again]

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Fish of hemp posted:

2000's start with 9/11 and end with meltdown of the global economic system, so yeah.

Theoretically you could make a feel good sitcom set in 1930's Europe, but it's easy to see why nobody haven't.

I mean, we've got actually existing sitcoms set in the Korean War (but about Vietnam), and in France under Nazi occupation.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Mr Interweb posted:

even in this thread, how many times have you heard anyone wistfully recalling bart becoming a daredevil, or homer dancing with the stripper?

Homer jumping Springfield Gorge might be the first iconic moment of the series.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Halisnacks posted:

While we are explaining golden era jokes, I have a kinda basic one I don’t get: when Marge is fantasising about being with a pirate and asks if his earring means he’s a pirate, and he says “Kinda”, is it just a 90s gay joke? That’s what I assume, but then he goes on to speak to her implying sexual interest, so I’m not sure.

It is 100% the 90s gay joke.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Bart's gender reveal party starts the Springfield tire fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I do have an incredibly early memory (3 or 4 years old?) of feeling an incredible irritation at the thought of Marge Simpson. I threw an etch a sketch at my brother.

I think maybe I was barred from watching the show? Maybe it was her bizarre bizarre hair

It's worn only for shock value.