Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

CodfishCartographer posted:

The point (that goons seem to be willfully ignoring) is that there are racist / stereotypical aspects of Apu’s character aside from just a white guy doing a voice. The convenience store owner character didn’t need to be Indian. The Indian character didn’t need to be a convenience store owner, or have an arranged marriage, or have 8 kids, or live in an apartment that looks like this:

But how would we, the regular viewers, know Apu and Manjula are different if they didn't install that Arabic doorway in their apartment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

TalkingBasically posted:

lisa's voiced by a guy you literally cannot continue past this point without knowing that for every time you watch simpsons and register a girl talking, that's a man's voice. On TV.

I don't watch FOX TV

but i think it should bother you that you think a girl sounds like a man basically

I know you already got sufficiently dunked on but

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Phlegmish posted:

I happen to be rewatching the early seasons right now, there's some good episodes there (including the aforementioned American Civil War one). On the other, and even though I'm no delicate flower, the casual/extreme violence is kind of unsettling. I've always wondered how many parents unwittingly traumatized their children letting them watch South Park, thinking it's a kids' show.

I was definitely a flower growing up, I found gore upsetting. I was somehow allowed to watch South Park with the caveat that I don't repeat what I hear (lol) but even at its goriest, I just found it funny. I didn't like it when they showed live action (real or fake) images of gory footage, like they did in the one where you see footage of what Cartman sees when he closes his eyes.

But South Park's gore was always just funny and silly to me. I even had a friend who would black out at the sight or descriptuous mentions of blood and was okay seeing people's kneecap/testicles explode in a bloody mess and was fine with it.

My problem is with the people who form their world or political views via South Park but that's a derail.

snack eater posted:

did you know Apu isn't actually voiced by an Indian man?

Hank Azaria became hindu to continue voicing Apu, though.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 28, 2018

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I can do a pretty good Aunt Patty and Selma so, if they want to give me money I will do it. I can't do marge. Marge is impossible.

I urge you all to try to do Marge's Hrrrrmmmmmgh sound.

Also try to do Otto's voice and you'll cough up blood for four weeks

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Warning marge calls someone a noob in the latest episode and her VA really needs to retire, her poor vocal chords sound like they're in tatters

E: Aunt Patty and Selma sound spot on still. Maybe have one of them swap places with Marge in future episodes?

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 8, 2018

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Gibbon posted:

Yeardley Smith had an AMA on reddit the other day and when asked which celeb was the most fun said Lady Gaga was awesome!

Was the context like "that episode is great!" or "Lady Gaga was fun working with"? Because no one liked that episode. The whole town (Mr. Large cheering for Lady Gaga was so jarring. Only good bit was Ms. Hoover posting "not so smart now, are you?" on the school message board to Lisa.

And now for no reason, a great lunch lady Doris bit: https://youtu.be/BCnIuZaZyd8

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

FilthyImp posted:

Bob's Burgers has done a few T2s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PBq8do9l1Q

There's also the straight T2 parody where Frond tries to get Louise and dies in creamed corn.

A consistently good show. It's starting to get up there in the season count but it's still (usually) excellent.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's really really really good and I don't consider it to have a bad episode. That being said I don't think it's got the satirical edge that made good simpsons so good. And unlike the other guy who said that modern simpsons is mean (he's right), it's pretty clear that the writers and creators really love their characters and it shows.

I love Bob's Burgers. You're right that it doesn't have any bad episodes but I prefer it when they avoid plots that are 'too zany' (like The Deepening) but even those ones are packed with good quips.

They clearly don't love Jimmy Pesto. No one should, though.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Gene and Louise will shout now and then but they are Gene and Louise. They have to! John H Benjamin has a delightful voice. And everyone wants a soothing ASMR tape recorded by Marshmallow deep down inside.

I don't like Teddy but that's mostly because he reminds me of the sad, needy "regulars" from my years working at a cafe. And the health inspector sucks but he's meant to suck.

Oh The Simpsons? Well the intro took place at Bob's Burgers so that was the best part, naturally.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Apu is lovely at being Hindu because he claimed a female statue to be Shiva. :colbert:

That would be like Ned loving Jesusette

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

504 posted:

So did any Indians complain about Apu before a blogger born and raised in the US and educated privately in England did?

Because it didn't come up once with anyone in my family, friends, school or internet groups. Seeing as how they ate predominately Indian and Pakistani you think it would have.

Wait, did you mean that they are predominantly Indian and Pakistani or that they ate predominantly Indian and Pakistani (cuisine).

One of these bears more weight in an argument than the other.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Chows posted:

my man did you know the t and r keys are next to each other

I was being silly, you silly goose!

I just thought of a scenario in which someone was like "me and my family eat indian food all the time and haven't heard any guff wrt apu ever" to be funny

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Guess the fake episode time

A) The dogs of Springfield take over
B) Homer coaches (Lacrosse)
C) Homer finds Smithers a date
D) The Simpsons take a trip to the Baltic States

A) Sanjay turns the kwik e mart into Whole Foods
B) Aunt Patti finds out she's adopted
C) Lisa doth require braces
D) The Simpsons are going to *reads note* Denmark

A) Björk comes to Springfield and kills everyone
B) Homer and Marge get Moe to make ammends with his father
C) Marge runs for mayor
D) Marge is mad at Homer and fears their marriage is on the ropes

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

D, B and A. [timg]https://i.imgur.com/6icLrXH.jpg[/timg] (she wants to kill them though)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Season 59

The Simpsons are going to Mali!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Oh, I've seen a lot of new episodes. You see, my housemates were from a freaky family that forbade the watching of The Simpsons. We all know people like that, right?

Awful people.

Anyway, one of them insists everything from seasons 1-25 is good, with seasons 1 all the way to 14 (and Im all like wtf 14?? I start shouting at him and i lunge at him, he breaks my spine and kills me) being the best. I don't know why he caps off at 25 when there isn't any dip in quality after 25 or anything, it's all sort of homogeneous around 14-15

I remember chuckling once in awhile during what I think may have been seasons 27/28, sometimes I'd even think "wow, if this episode was rendered in Old Simpsons graphics, this might actually pass for a Season 10 episode". But I'm afraid of actually revisiting any of those episodes incase they're poo poo. I was pretty drunk/high.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 29, 2018

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

A) Lisa, after finding every key in springfield, discovers a hidden room at the school
B) Lisa becomes Krusty's sidekick; usurps his popularity
C) After Santa's Little Helper causes a ruckus at a Doggy Yoga (Doga) class, the Simpsons family's love is pushed to its limits.
D) Mr. Burns becomes a superhero

A) Ned Flanders' parents decide they prefer Homer to their own son.
B) Lisa practices entomophagy
C) There's a feud in Springfield: Lenny and Carl. The rift puts a strain on Marge and Homer's marriage
D) Homer becomes Duffman

A) Homer has to guard a Nigerian princess whom Moe believes to be relative of a scammer
B) Lisa finds out her ancestors helped a black slave escape to freedom; presents this story for
history month
C) Marge takes up rose gardening; competes in a prestigious rose competition with a rare blue rose
D) Homer takes Bart to Boston to make a point of how awful the city is.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

the fake episodes are all C. Thank you for playing!!!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

My now abandoned thread called Marge Quest had better animation than new simpsons

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Summer of 4 ft. 2. That's my moms favorite episode. She hated The Simpsons but never barred me from watching it. Her reasons for not liking it were pretty sound, she was a social worker and Homer would strangle Bart. She was fine with cartoon violence but did not like seeing parent/child abuse, no matter how wacky and lurid the setting. (She also had a thing with male on female violence, so when we played Mortal Kombat, she said she honestly would prefer we picked same gendered characters but I only ever chose Kitana)

She would sometimes overhear the TV and would laugh once in awhile. Over time she started watching it with us sometimes, along with KotH. She thought Summer of 4 to be funny, relatable and Lisa's friends as genuinely sweet.

Sorry, I know this is a Wendy's drive-thru but that episode reminds me of mommy. :3:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Fried Watermelon posted:

Fartnite and it'll be about the last person to hold in their farts and Bart will lose in second place to the mysterious first place winner who ends up being Homer playing it on the Mintenbo Smitch.

Everyone ITT is a better simpsons writer than the simpsons writers :/

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

These read like when A Fancy Hat used to do those fake Trump spiels until one day Trump basically used one of his posts verbatim over multiple tweets and he was so freaked out that he stopped posting

He never stopped you big weirdo!!! He did one like yesterday.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Definitely watch Disenchantment over new simpsons please.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Captain star was an ugly show.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Data Graham posted:

I was about to say this. It’s deceptive on the surface with its flash-puppet adult swim looking aesthetic, but holy crap there’s real good art everywhere in it.

If you have any examples, I'd be interested in seeing. I've seen bits and pieces from it but was always turned away by the animation looking all stiff and rotoscoped, like someone put real footage of very very stiff people through a filter.

But the things they say are usually quick, witty and funny. I tried a Green Russian after overhearing that one bit.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Data Graham posted:

I don't know if this is the article I read or if it was just a similar one, but: https://www.awn.com/animationworld/minimalist-animation-archer

It's an interview and so naturally won't exactly present an unbiased reviewer's opinion or convince you that you really saw something you didn't see, but there's a lot going on underneath the flatness.

So there really is lot more to the animation and style than I thought. The backgrounds and how those spaces are built in 3D is really interesting.

Might have to watch Archer.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

In the new one, Lisa meets a new friend and lies about her family because, well, for obvious reasons.

I have very few complaints, it was easily the best episode of the season. It did have an annoying flourish of stupid title cards and french cafe music coming up at various story beats announcing the story beats. Also Lisa declares it her first happy ending, so someone there must have read that article about how Lisa stories always punish Lisa for no reason.

I watched it per your recommendation and it was a pretty enjoyable watch. If we were to compile 12-20 episodes for a single post-se14 "season" this would make it on the list.

And then all those episodes will be rerecorded to VHS and then digitally reuploaded, maybe give them some Sony Vegas filters to make it look somewhat old and crusty.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

That's a dumb thing that's been said.

Who could forget that classic Simpsons scene where Bart bludgeons Krabapple to death with a giant dick sculpture?

First place my mind went.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Snospmis Eht only gets better every season. Snrub is my favourite character.

Snospis eht already exists

https://youtu.be/UNhw-sHn5G4

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

Nah there's an episode where he accidentally saves the town so the mayor gives him a drivers license and he meets a 15-year-old in another town voiced by Natalie Portman and she assumes he's 16 and she later gets pregnant by someone else, but it's played for a minute like it might be Bart's.

Bobby got Luanne pregnant once and no one bats an eye!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Have all the Tracey Ullman Show shorts been compiled anywhere?

also i hate roger!!!!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

As per the recommendation of this thread and SA in general, I've decided to watch the latest full season of American Dad and I made a mistake earlier

Plant MONSTER. posted:

also i hate roger is funny!!!!

It seems like they know how to use the cast to its full extent. I swear there was a reference to Old Simpsons in one of the American Dad episodes I watched yesterday, I just can't remember what.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I like how they're poor but always seem to have new technology, barring the TV. Didn't Homer pull out a smartphone back when those weren't as common? He probably did. Unfortunately there's no frinkiac for vaguely describing things that may have happened on the simpsons.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

white people are yellow, black people should've been blue, brown people green because it's like halfway in between. Asian people are white.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's the deal with Al Jean anyway? He was influential early on with good poo poo and even left for a bit to make the also awesome critic but god drat simpsons sucks now

That really just makes me curious as to just how much of The Critic he was responsible for. Yeah I know his name's on it but that doesn't always mean everything. :colbert:

Maybe he was funny once upon a time before he became Al "jokes in the corner" Jean

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Cosmik Slop posted:

What the gently caress is this even

This is like B-reel test footage

it's actually scathing commentary on the emmys and the current state of hollywood. :smug:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

AstroWhale posted:

And the episode with Laddie sucked, too..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I935pBuwbXQ

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Bust Rodd posted:

John K and Justin Roiland are both great examples of some genius needing to be bridled and restrained so that we only get the gems and not an endless cascade of pedophilia

Whoawhoawhoa whoa hey heeey HEY. Can you substantiate this at all? Yeah John K is a piece of poo poo that needs a good flaying, we should all know this. But Justin Roiland? You can find him annoying but is he really a known creep?

Although as I was typing this out post, I suddenly remembered the short cartoon that Rick and Morty was based on. Now I'm not so sure if I want to go up to bat for him. I'd just be really upset if Roiland was any flavor of pedophile.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 12, 2020

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

gently caress. I had no idea.

Thank you for that. It's better knowing.

I liked some of his projects and guestwork outside of his cartoon as well. It's all loving trash now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

That's an earnest thank you, by the way. I would not have known anything about this had you not made that one post about John K and Justin earlier.