Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The worst episode is constantly which ever episode is on Sunday night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cobweb Heart posted:

gently caress outta here dude

No, Tom Goes to the Mayor was very bad

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm glad I never saw anything beyond the movies :)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
There was a time when I used to just put in my DVDs instead of suffer through a new episode on the way to American Dad. I should start doing that again since The Last Man on Earth takes a while to get to on Sunday nights

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Old Simpsons did a great job at making jokes that people would miss at different stages in life, and not explaining them. Explaining jokes is for people who can't actually make a joke.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I miss when June meant the end of the season and it was reruns all summer so you had an excuse to go outside unless it was an episode you missed on the first run

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

frytechnician posted:

The "Maude Death" episode played a few weeks back - caught it having breakfast at my girlfriend's place as I don't bother having a TV. Holy gently caress, that episode is way, WAY worse than I remembered. It is unbelievably clunky, ham-fisted and unnecessarily cruel & heartless. Most of all, it isn't funny. It just makes you groan and all the voice actors sound like they're reading their lines so slowly and obviously, it's like they're trying to make non-english speakers understand them.

Yeah, it's bad, and it's why I consider that the jumping of the shark.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cobweb Heart posted:

Having deliberate eras of the show with different flavors would have been an incredible idea (I'd still only watch the first couple but whatever). There's a British show that did that, Blackadder, right? It actually would have fixed every continuity problem and gave them a stupid but not insulting route for Homer to invent grunge and meet and fall in love with Marge eighty different times. And in fact, it would work forever, get everyone used to spinoffs and alternate shows with the Simpsons name, and even let them keep making episodes at reduced popularity if a major voice actor quits or dies. Almost seems like Ivy League writers should have been able to conceptualize and float it. Too late now lol

Yeah, they should have run with the Simpsons Spinoff Spectacular

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cobweb Heart posted:

Did they? (Really, I didn't watch it)

We all know the Simpsons hasn't been funny since 1999

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sout posted:

Homer's Enemy owns :colbert:

:yeah:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Riptor posted:

No that's Harry Shearer

:eyepop:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I often wonder how the Simpsons gets renewed every time

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Houle posted:

Or they would pull a Maude Flanders and just kill off every character he voices. Just have some long painfully unfunny sequence of a bunch of beloved characters dying in horrendously unfunny ways. Or just have half of Springfield be a smoking crater and have none of the characters acknowledge it or the missing characters who don't show up anymore.

It turns out that Bart's Comet really did hit Springfield, and every episode since then was Homer in a coma for 23 years.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

cool new Polack jokes posted:

When they stopped voicing incidental characters and starting playing themselves exclusively. Hey it's 50 Cent, maybe he'll help! Hey it's Tony Blair, maybe he'll help!

I miss when their incidental characters were like "Hey! It's.... Adam West?"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I'd have a very hard time picking a top 5 from seasons 3-8. It's so consistent that I'd say the worst episodes are maybe a B- at worst.

B- is about as bad as any episode gets from that era. I'd even throw in Season 2 at that point, you'd have to go back to season 1 to get down to C.

I miss the late 90's/early 2000's when after dinner I could watch reruns of the Simpsons, and the worst that could happen was it was the couple weeks where they were showing season 1.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The movie was bad, I don't understand how people can consider it good

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wizard Master posted:

You got to see Barts dick

I never asked for it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I mean really, what normal person wakes up and says "boy, what I really want to see today is the dick of a cartoon 12 year old!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Oh, the other thing about Marge Be Not Proud is it shows the bullies easily getting away with stealing over and over (although they are stealing useless crap), and the spoiled brat kid who demands and gets two copies of Bonestorm because he doesn't want to share (who's mom makes a comment about what bad parents Bart must have), Milhouse having it and bragging about it... it makes a point to show you why he would be driven toward stealing it and also that the other kids (besides Milhouse) are legit bad kids.

Not only that but Marge comes off as being genuinely hurt by all of it. It's been a little while but I remember the episode having a darker tone to it, probably because it was nailing the feeling of Marge being at her wit's end when it comes to trying to raise Bart well. The other thing about it is that ends well, and it's an earned ending where Bart does learn the error of his ways and it doesn't feel forced.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I RedBox'd it, and I still paid too much to see it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vookatos posted:

Also holy poo poo, really wouldn't though it would be real, but it sure loving is, was aired only a few month ago and has Big Bang Theory couch gag.

:barf: I can't comprehend how anyone finds that show funny

:same:

EDIT:
This popped up in my suggested videos, and I think it is a good representation of why The Principal and the Pauper is when The Golden years ended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-TS-92KVDA

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 27, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ein cooler Typ posted:

it's the same actor she's just 30 years older

Hell not by much if you've ever seen The Legend of Billie Jean

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

berth ell pup posted:

7 is the best season of the simpsons as almost every episode is gold. It starts to crack in 8, 9 is eh 10 it becomes bad.

I contend the Deep Space Homer (s5) is the first truly bad simpsons episode. The premise is contrived, and they guest voices (aldrin?) were poorly done. Some people just can't be voice actors. I bet it took 100 takes to get a suitable "Careful! They're rippled!" and the one they used is still pretty bad.

I bet you think Spider Pig is the peak of hilarity don't you?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The Principle and the Pauper is actually one of the good season 9 episodes.

I posted a video a while back that analyzes why that episode is the turning point for the Simpsons. The video says that it's not a bad episode in itself, but it's where the Simpsons turns the corner from the golden era to the decline.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think R&S gets tarnished by time, John K, and the gross out stuff. R&S definitely left a massive mark on what was acceptable for animation, and is forever part of animation history for it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Aesop Poprock posted:

...Turn of what century? Ren and Stimpy was like early-mid 90s I don't remember there being a cartoon aesthetic it fits from the early 1900s

yeah, but some of the art in R&S was definitely an intentional callback to Looney Tunes and the Hannah Barbara stuff.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Aesop Poprock posted:

Right but that's like 50s-70s stuff

it's prehistory to most goons

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

facebook jihad posted:

https://youtu.be/KqFNbCcyFkk

I found this video on YouTube and it's pretty good. Doesn't say too much we don't already know and apes a lot from zombie simpsons. I kind of thought his discussion about the beginnings of the show were pretty informative.

A good click though to summarize a lot of the points made in this thread and others, especially for people who haven't familiarized themselves with it

That video jogged loose a memory. Months before the Simpsons started airing, there was a bunch of merchandise hitting the market, and my elementary school banned it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

EnvyJ posted:

Principal and the pauper was great, gently caress you oval office otherwise

I honestly like the episode, but it is a pretty solid damnation about how the Simpsons would be from that point forward.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

OWLS! posted:

I rewatched the movie last night.
It was good for a few laughs.

You are a bad person

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Phlegmish posted:

There's usually a sort of Gauss curve with (worthwhile) entertainment products, where it starts out rough, they eventually hit their stride and enter a golden age (seasons 3-8/9 for the Simpsons), before inevitably running out of ideas and having the scenarios and writing become increasingly uninspired and self-referential.

The Simpsons is just unique in that the 'decline' period is now the vast majority of their run

Yeah, if it wasn't for that, it would be very fondly remembered as one of the greats

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

General Dog posted:

Guess it depends on how you feel about the post Larry David years. But yeah, a decade seems to be the absolute limit that you can sustain excellence, but that's like living to 120; you're talking 99th percentile at that point. Even an all-timer like 30 Rock, which was never bad, was showing some wear by seasons 5-7.

I remember when Seinfeld called it quits, at the time he said it was because he didn't want it to become a shell of what it was. Yeah, there was a drop in quality post-Larry David, but it was still decent. He was right though, he could have kept going.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Whatev posted:

No. It's the opposite. Simpsons Safari is a terrible negative one-off you exuberant virgins.

I hate, Hate, HATE, ~*HATE*~ that episode. I thought it was an ok episode the first time I watched it, but that was a time where Fox was preempting Futurama for "bonus" episodes of The Simpsons at the last minute. So I saw it again a few weeks later, then again, then the rerun cycle allowed for it to be played. I think I saw it like 6 times in 2 months.

As a bonus, a few years later I went to Turkey, and saw it there

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Whatev posted:

Randomly watched a bad episode on youtube yesterday so here is a really embarrassing bit from it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kknltynNco

Nope, I could not finish that

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

steinrokkan posted:

455 likes
24 dislikes

People can be very stupid, see also: The Big Bang Theory

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

54 40 or gently caress posted:

The Simpsons is still going to be funny if you're a kid. My nephews certainly do discriminate based on season.

Kids are very stupid too, I mean who would want to watch Cars once, let alone on repeat?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

General Dog posted:

I'm not sure what a Simpsons recovery would even look like. The show originally caught fire for how different it was from tv orthodoxy, but now it IS tv orthodoxy. Nearly every sitcom on tv, and certainly every animated sitcom use the Simpsons template as a jumping off point. Trying to "reinvigorate" the Simpsons would be like trying to remake I Love Lucy. It's a product of its time, it really can't be divorced from the cultural context of the 1990s.

The characters have reached the point that they're cultural icons on par with something like Mickey Mouse or the Looney Tunes, and like those characters, you reach a point where it's impossible to inject any kind of life into them anymore. Our vision of them is so solidified that they're not allowed to surprise us anymore.

I think the problem with the Simpsons is that it's been bad for so long that it's more like Wheel of Fortune, something to watch for 30 minutes because nothing else is on.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

General Dog posted:

I think if the Simpsons post-season 10 existed in a vacuum as its own show, the first ten seasons never existed, nobody would think it was the worst show on television or anything, it would generally just be though of as okay (questions of why it's so popular or why it's lasted so long set aside).

I think that if the first 10 seasons didn't exist, the Simpsons wouldn't have lasted more than 2 seasons.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The Simpsons can't recover, it has spawned too many bad seasons, and there are nearly twice as many bad seasons as there are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

54 40 or gently caress posted:

IIRC they were forced by Fox to do the clip shows, and fox wanted something like every fifth episode to be a clip show or something ridiculous like that.

Fox also wanted Futurama just to be The Simpsons 2, so they could reuse elements.