Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
When Homer got hosed by a panda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can I see your copy of "Swank", Armin?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Manchild King posted:

Is your username a reference to the bodybuilding episode?

Not sure, I got this name by posting in a "post here to have your username changed" thread. I thought it was from that PeeWee Herman movie.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i watched the simpsons all the time as a kid, but for some reason my mom didn't want me watching king of the hill. eventually i asked her about it and she couldn't remember why. two years of my young life without great comedy.

They advertised it as "From the creator of Beavis and Butthead" which is how it got banned by my parents.... until they actually saw it.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Empty Sandwich posted:

that's another hallmark of the earlier shows... the headline "Dick Cavett Born!" with a picture of Dick Cavett as an older adult is funny even if you don't know who Dick Cavett is (which I didn't at the time).

that's a really dumb example, but a lot of the early-season spoof stuff works even if you don't know reference.

the joke isn't in the corner.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Uh, Pa, I cut my finger on the screen door again

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

It's amazing how somewhat esoteric some of the jokes were in old episodes. Sideshow Bob's "Luv" and "Hat" tattoos is from Night of the Hunter (1955), which much like Glengarry Glen Ross, our younger selves probably hadn't seen at that time.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nutsngum posted:

So what's the general consensus for best episode to show someone who has never seen the Simpsons before?

$pringfield (or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Legalized Gambling)

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Doing a bad Jack Lemmon impression is a lot of fun, I can see why they kept bringing him back.

"Oh, this is bad. This is really bad! You work, and you slave, and you steal just enough for a sweet lick of that shiny brass ring... don't I get a lick? Doesn't Gil get a lick?"

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

That's what often makes me uncomfortable when it comes to American media, that laser focus on 'race'. It almost seems indecent somehow. It's like how white American goons on this site are constantly making supposedly self-deprecating jokes about them all smelling like dog and loving mayonnaise XD, and cringe remarks like that seem to come up all the time regardless of context. Whether punching up or down or sideways, it often just seems to loop right back around to essentialism.

Thing is, and I would say it's mostly thanks to those same goons that I've realized this, there are historical reasons for it. Racial background really does make a difference in the US (and elsewhere), and it really is important to examine, and ignoring it by proclaiming yourself to be colorblind isn't necessarily the solution. If pointing out reality makes you uncomfortable, that's the point. I personally think that reinforcing those arbitrary historical racial classifications is a mixed bag, even when you do it by chanting 'kill whitey' with varying degrees of irony, but I understand the reasoning. It makes sense.

Just last week I was having dinner with my European boomer parents and they were going on about how racist Americans are. I explained that that was dumb, it's just much more polarized over there, and being obsessed with race is not the same as being racist in the way that we would normally interpret that word. These same parents ironically also like to make 'un-PC' boomer remarks that would likely get them probated on here.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I hate Pai Gow!

Can't we just play Quang Jong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Larry Burns is designed really well. Instead of an outright caricature, he actually looks like half Mr Burns, half Rodney Dangerfield.