Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

54 40 or gently caress posted:

The bigger question is how could they afford the house mortgage on a house with all that space when homers cheque in the bear patrol episode is like, less than $400

Don't ask me how the economy works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

the only thing I remember about South Park in recent memory was how the creators were getting scared of doing satire once Trump got into office and then were going to try doing something else with their new season, and it's been a few months since then.

Lmao seriously? Bunch of loving pussies

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I think so, but keep in mind my memory may be cheating.

Either way if they're completely staying away from trump it's pretty laughable considering they're the show that visibly and sharply went from crude fart and murder jokes to the weekly Stone and Parker soapbox where-there-are-no-safe-targets

Granted I stopped watching ten years ago so I have no idea if they pivoted away from that but if now is the time they decided to stick their tails between their legs just lol

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Apple Computers

WHAT computers?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

pooch516 posted:

Some of my favorite jokes from when I was younger were references to things I didn't even know about at the time. I figured it was just a weird thing in the Simpsons world and years later realized the joke.

Now it's way too obvious when it's just a fan of some show or movie making a joke for fellow fans.

They were so good at it that I only just found out recently that Mel Zetz isn't a name I was supposed to have recognized

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Frog Act posted:

Lisa's singing in that clip is unbelievably bad, I can honestly say at this point the voices would sound more authentic if they hired fan impersonators

Does anyone do a truly on point impersonation of any simpsons character? I feel like I've never heard a perfect impression of any character in the same way I've heard perfect impressions of distinctive sounding celebrities. It always sounds off.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

womb with a view posted:

Also, the imagination sequence where he pictures Flanders' misfortune. It goes to a shot of Ned's grave, and he says to himself "mmm no, too far" then backs it up. Modern Simpsons doesn't have the restraint to do that, they'd just keep pushing it further with horrible dismemberment or something.

Am I misremembering a weird fever dream or wasnt there an episode in one of the lovely seasons where homer gleefully imagines rod and todd dead

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

See, while I'd save entire episodes from S11, the only things I'd save from S12 are:

- Yvan Eht Nioj / the subliminal vs superliminal joke
- "Linguo... dead?!" "Linguo IS dead."
- The Christmas That Almost Wasn't But Then Was
- Homer constantly calling the wrong area code and getting pissed off

Not even the surrounding episodes just those gags.

Can we throw "That's right
.. Liutenant LT Smash" in that pile of gags worth saving too

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Cookie Kwan posted:

I'm a massive simpsons fan, but I feel like I'm in the minority because I actually like up to season 20. The only season I didn't like is 17. None of the episodes really grabbed me. But there's some great late season episodes. 28 has the 24 rip off, 20 has the Wavery Hills episode, 16 has Future Drama, a serious rival for Lisa gets Married.

Why is it cool to hate on anything past season 10? "You're not a real fan unless your favourite season is 8. You also don't understand the complex....:viggo:

It's a loving cartoon, not war and peace.

shut up idiot

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's such a good episode

Lisa busting in at a moments notice with you're a grand old flag is severely underrated, the comedic timing is amazing

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

I didn't realize I was supposed to hate principal and the pauper until the internet told me it was the worst thing produced in the history of mankind, over and over and over again

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Eh! Frank posted:

This reminds me, what's the general opinion on the episode where Homer becomes a local celebrity after bowling a perfect game? I think it was season 11 or 12, but I remember loving it when I was a teen. I haven't seen it in years though so I don't know how it holds up.

Unless I'm mixing it up with another episode, it has the "Spare me your gutter mouth!" exchange, as well as "Not Lenny!!!", which I find myself quoting even to this day.

I still find myself saying "did someone say a PERFECT GAME?" whenever I get a strike so it definitely imprinted part of itself on my psyche

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Applewhite posted:

And yet EVEN THAT episode had some memorable quotes compared to now.

“You can’t lose the pie, the pie’s your heart!” Still comes up, believe it or not.

Anything involving Ron Howard in that episode is gold even though the rest is unbelievable trash

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

~There was nothing in Al Capone's vault
But it wasn't Geraldo's fault~

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

i didn't understand this line for like the first 20 years that i was familiar with it, but i still thought it was funny, lol

Same here. I also love the growing progression of homer only being able to write lyrics about stuff on TV and even he realizes that one sucked

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Frog Act posted:

The intonation in Homer's singing of the word "sugar" cracks me up every time I see this part. it's just so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBOTCWMhPJs

I shudder to imagine them trying to do this joke, including the part afterwards where he throws away the walkman, today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkcYU4w0UEo

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Data Graham posted:

When I saw this scene premiered brand-new I thought it was way off tone and bad.

The back-and-forth dialogue is too cartoony (“That means you’re terrible!”), and the animation just seemed... well, cartoony too, in a way that felt “un-Simpsons” somehow.

It was just a few episodes after the “frogurt” scene which was the same joke but felt a lot more natural

I dunno, at the time it seemed to me like the animators were trying too hard or something. At least that’s what I distinctly remember thinking.

Were you a regular on Usenet

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

it's cool how america is so bad at sports that they have invented their own two sports that the entire rest of the planet thinks are stupid as gently caress. And those sports have to stop every two minutes for commercials, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjp1Zrvn8VQ

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

I mean it's way more likely Groening just wouldn't know it's the sex plane rather than him not knowing what "lolita" means.

Sex plane? I thought they closed that place down

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I made a gif of Marge attempting to murder Lindsey Naegle.

It was just such a weird moment. It's very Daffy Duck, but also she's so realistically hosed up and in pain by the end of it.

This feels like someone took Homer falling into the gorge and fed it into an AI that didn't understand why that was funny

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Data Graham posted:

I'm not sure I'd agree that it's tied up with them moving away from a realistic, down-to-earth show to one that's completely off-the-wall and swarming with magic robots, or whatever. Some of the golden era's best and most memorable episodes are built on totally zany plots. Homer going to space? loving gold. And that even had celeb cameos. Which were some of the best parts.

I think it's more just that they stopped working so hard and so diligently at being funny. Once I found myself not thinking back over an episode and giggling again at all the things that had made me burst out laughing in the moment, it stopped being special.

Success just made them complacent, and then there was no getting that energy back because why bother if the paychecks and renewals keep coming?

I can't believe they got former president James Taylor for that episode

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

At least spaceballs is better than police academy

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

multijoe posted:

Imagine this moralistic scolding over global warming stopping a comet destroying Springfield or Homer befriending a cheery supervillain

Yeah neither of these episodes are implicitly and repeatedly saying global warming and supervillainy are actually great and should be emulated so no one did that nor will they ever

You'd probably have a better point if you compared it to the endless moralistic scolding over Bart's behavior in the early 90s

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 13, 2021

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

multijoe posted:

Global warming literally saves the city in Bart's Comet. But the concept that Rick N Morty is creating a generation of Reddit science guys and not just, y'know, attracting them is ridiculous and loving comic code poo poo, people are capable of consuming media without internalising it as part of their moral ideology.

Well as you seem to realise, it's literally the same stuff: moral guardians fretting over the degenerate cartoon which doesn't portray the Good Values that should be engendered within society and will corrupt the impressionable youth with its wicked immorality

I was more pointing out between your rapidly edited post and follow up post that if you'd taken like 2 seconds in your fervor to comment on the video you'd probably been able to come up with a better comparison than "one thing happened on an episode that literally no one complained about for a good reason"

Tbh I'm on the fence if media like this more influences or attracts shitlords, probably more the latter but if it was remotely quantifiable I would be curious about just how much stuff like Manbearpig shifted public discourse on global warming

Also the video does a pretty decent job breaking down why r&m/South Park rub me the wrong way and the simpsons and always sunny don't so eh? I'm not judging anyone for liking those shows but the underlying vibe he points out is what kinda makes them unenjoyable to me

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

It's ok not to find a comedy show funny. People don't have to invent complicated takes to justify it, it's fine to not find something funny

??

No one ever said they aren't funny? Something can be funny and unpleasant simultaneously, I personally find r&m/South Park to be more unpleasant for the reasons presented compared to how funny I think they are but I've found both of them funny

If someone told me Always Sunny wasn't enjoyable for them for its history of ironic blackface or transphobic slurs I don't think my immediate take would be "they're making that up, they just don't think the funny show is funny"

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Applewhite posted:

I like when Rick turned himself into a piclkle

you son of a bitch

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

iamsosmrt posted:

I almost can't believe that of all things, they chose a Whitey Bulger reference to introduce candlepin bowling. Like yeah he was a really infamous name in the city's crime history, but the name isn't common nor particularly tied to Boston's culture as a city. It's pretty tasteless and gross considering who he is.

I'm so dumb that whenever Whitey Bulger's name comes up I think of the guy that was knocked unconscious by pretzels and I've never bothered to learn more

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

You Are A Elf posted:

Original idea!! DO NOT STEAL!!!!

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

You gotta check out this video of Bozo dubbed over.

what is this reggie

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

You oughta watch I Think You Should Leave.

I'm literally quoting it at you

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

The new one really goes off the rails in the end.

Grandpa gets scammed out of $10,000 with the ol' "Your grandson is in jail, you have to give me money to bail him out."

Homer is super pissed about it and says Abe is dumb as hell for falling for any scam. But then it's revealed Homer has filled the garage with pyramid scheme knives.

The family uses Grandpa's ability to prattle on for forever to keep a scammer on the line long enough to trace the call. They find out the call center is local and go bust it. The cops break it up but refuse to actually charge anyone, which makes Marge freak out and start trashing the place, revealing a huge stash of stolen gift cards.

The family uses the gift cards on a blowout feast.

Then the whole thing is revealed to have been orchestrated by Loki, the trickster god.

https://twitter.com/TheMysteryofGF/status/1444823409872064512

This is not a fantasy sequence or undercut in any way.

They do take a shot at Disney, as Loki says he's going to add more blackout dates to the Disney season passes and turns into Mickey Mouse and runs off. I thought Disney would be too thin-skinned to let them razz on them like they used to do for Fox.

Honestly this sounded like it could've been a potentially great golden age plot until that 180 at the end, what the hell

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

I always thought Bart Gets an F was significantly more emotional and impactful than Lisa's Substitute but nobody else seems to agree with me so I just keep my mouth shut, except for when I don't (such as now)

I agree with you but I'm not 100% sure why that is the case. I think it might be easier to relate to Bart's situation at any stage of your life against a variety of life events so as an adult it hits harder

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Emrikol posted:

This morning I dreamed an episode in which for some reason Lisa thought she should be into MASCAR, so she was forcing herself to watch and attend races she clearly hated, until she was freed when a Moogle algorithm analyzed her social media accounts and revealed that she was actually a mood person, at which point I woke up mad.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Similar to some podcasts complaining about A Star is Burns because of Groening not liking it.

Who are these toadies trying to saddle up to known pissbaby Matt Groening who whined to no end about one of the funniest episodes of the series that also threw one of his close friends a bone, but thought the futurama and family guy crossovers were a-okay

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

It only just occurred to me that last year was dickety dickety

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

And his NAME, I think it was the first time I truly felt like they phoned it in, like some wannabe writer pulled "Tamzarian" out of the air and everyone lied to themselves that it didn't sound like a poo poo, made-up name pulled from a low-grade sci-fi.
Only matched by the sheer, cringing laziness of "Jeff Albertson".

The way Bart reacted I thought armin tamzarian was some double entrendre that I just didn't get and not just a silly name for the longest time

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I suppose you could also count Mr Lisa Goes to Washington as a good "THE SIMPSONS ARE GOING TO ___" episode too. Maybe Bart in France too though that seems a bit more pedantic. New York is good, but idk there are bits that don't quite work for me, and I'm not talking about them putting all of the jerks in Tower 1. I definitely found it funnier once I went to NYC though.

I'm not sure if I've ever read any Australian opinions on Bart vs Australia. I think it's a good episode, but I'm British so of course I would think that. Some of the jokes might seem a bit lazy from an Australian perspective, though that said at least referencing things like the cane toad infestation is a bit more unusual. People were asking for a UK episode for YEARS here and when we finally got one it was horrible, so I feel like Australia got lucky.

I follow a simpsons shitposting page with a large amount of Australian followers and best I can gather fans of the show treat that episode like it's part of the national identity

They're particularly enamored with Tobias and dollary-doos

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Definitely a low point for cringey sexual assault humor. Tied with steroid Marge raping Homer. Same season, if I'm not mistaken.

Was this also the season the writers became obsessed with the word "wang"

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

As much as I love the poochie episode I feel like I can see the decline happening in real time when they set up bart and comic book guy to have the proxy argument of "the show is free to watch (with ads, on the most coveted time slot, on a network that will actively try to bring about the collapse of modern society, ps buy our merchandise) so who are you to complain"

They may have had a point given that it was during season 8 before things had even started declining, but that seemed like a sudden jump from "CBG is an unpleasable whiner" to "you should accept whatever we fart out as gold" and given what the next 20+ years look like it's embarrassing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Bruce Willis "phoning it in" still has to show up and put in long hours on the set vs. a few Skype calls a week for a few weeks.

No, it wasn't in this thread.

There's no way Bruce is spending more than 2 days on set or even bothering to memorize his lines for some of the trash he's been headlining lately