Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Season 12 is when I stopped giving a gently caress about The Simpsons because some truly wretched episodes were happening. Like the panda rape episode that ended with Mr Burns tossing fish guts onto a parade crowd.

I just really don't care anymore; the show is going to make it to Season 30 and once a voice actor dies or finally quits for reals this time Fox will end it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
All I have to say is somehow, someway Fox kept this show running for 30 years and even the voice actors are in it for the money holding the show up under the guise of "artistic credibility".

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

SeANMcBAY posted:

The show didn’t really hit its stride until season 3 but season 1 and 2 are much better than some give it credit for. There’s a lot of heart in some of those episodes.

It’s because people look at the crappy animation and Black Smithers and fail to see the show was really sweet and charming it was at times. Bleeding Gums Murphy, Homer having true faults and not “SMRT” absurdness and even the Christmas episode holds up. I mean, nothing beats mid 90s Simpsons but you see a foundation there.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

SEX BURRITO posted:

I didn’t even get some of the jokes in that episode and I’m English. Like Bart and Lisa getting high off really sugary candy. That was so pointless.

Also they must have recorded it before Tony Blair became a figure of total hatred.

The episode aired post-Iraq Tony Blair so he was totally hated at the time.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Sotar posted:

I think the last Simpsons episode I watched and truly enjoyed was Homer to the Max whixh was in S12, otherwise there isn't any one episode that drove me pff, just the fact that there were less funny episodes over time until around S14 when I just gave up the ghost.

S12 is where I stopped watching because there were some truly horrible episodes in that stretch. This is the season that had the infamous panda rape episode.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I really think we are going to see the cancellation of The Simpsons in the next few years with the Disney purchase. I mean, the show's future basically hinges on the contracts of the VAs and they signed a new one only a few years ago. Whenever it comes due its always an ugly battle between Fox and the VAs who are like a mini-union of themselves. Now that it's Disney at the table instead I can see them just go "we don't need The Simpsons as badly as Fox did" and let the show end.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

This looks like a Newgrounds animation (not something from an animation studio with vast money and resources), I am not kidding.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The SNL Trump thing was pretty funny at first but you can tell the hate for him is genuine instead of "lol politicians" that fuels true political satire.

I mean, they got it with Sean Spicer because even though the guy was a blowhard they went after his antics than anything.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

khwarezm posted:

That's stupid though.

Like here in the Simpsons, they constantly portrayed the Republicans as the embodiment of evil in all its forms, it went way beyond 'lol politicians'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkuDzSB4gN0

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
edit: nvm

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I’m going to say what I think everyone is hesitant to say and that current Family Guy is better than current Simpsons. I mean, at the very least they toned down the annoying monkeycheese cutaways the 13 year olds in 2007 liked

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

PostNouveau posted:

Caught up on the last couple weeks.

Flashback episode where Homer and Marge lived in Capitol City along with every secondary character for some reason. Baby Bart cost Homer a job where he had a piece of a tooth whitening strip company that was destined to make billions, and then he cost Marge her job as a nightlife reporter.

It was pretty bland, but it did have a Bill Plympton couch gag that I guess was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEuT9sePcI4

It seems like they learned not to put a year on the flashback episodes, but the episode did look like a late 2000s pastiche. Also, Marge was impregnated by a homer sperm wearing a sweater, glasses and playing the saxophone.

The next one Skinner retires. Ralph does a rap song. I dunno somehow the episode was about creepy clown sightings. Bart goes to rehab for pranks. For some reason, Ranier Wolfcastle is doing community theater. It sucked.

I think you included the wrong link unless The Simpsons got really loving interesting and I should check it out again.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Krusty being Jewish is usually treated fairly respectfully, if I remember right. Smithers being gay is pretty bad looking back on it, many times the joke is just “Smithers is attracted to men, isn’t that weird?” but luckily it’s mostly a background aspect to his character and not the sole defining trait. I suppose people probably could get mad about Luigi and the Klav Kalash guy but they’re fairly minor characters at best, and there are multiple jokes about just how stereotypical they are. (I think Luigi even calls himself “an old Italian stereotype” at some point?)

The only other stereotype that sticks out to me as blatantly as Apu is Willie. I guess you could say Cletus but lol

If anything the whole "Smithers being gay" thing is a true product of its time because homosexuality was still taboo in media in the 90s. How they handled it is actually pretty drat progressive when it comes to 90s comedy and GLAAD thanked them for things like the Homer Sexual episode with John the gay.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
With regards to talk of a major VA dying ending the show.

Disney is going to be getting control of The Simpsons in 2019 and, mark my words, the show will die by their hand. The question is if its the result of another pay dispute.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I bet this will definitely happen.

As for a Springfield show, I have a hard time envisioning how that would be actually different from just doing the Simpsons in most respects. You still need most of the same voice actors and the side characters have all become so ridiculously 1-dimensional I don't know what you'd do with them in their current form that would be interesting.

15-20 years ago, though, I could definitely envision something like a show about the elementary school, though I'm content with the spinoff showcase episode.

We might have discussed this but there was serious talk in the mid 90s of doing a Springfield spin-off. It never took off for whatever reason and they made the idea into the 22 Short Films episode (Steamed Hams). Mike Weiss (I think) said from that point on they realized they could make episodes about any supporting character.

So, yeah, I can’t see a Springfield spinoff because it kinda already happened.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

fish and chips and dip posted:

I stopped watching South Park right after season 16, should I catch up on S17-S21? Y/N.

It has its moments like when PC Principal was introduced but, yeah, just tune out when they go political.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 28, 2018

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

City of New York vs. Homer Simpson was the first episode that stood out to me back then as being more mean spirited, but its actually still a really good episode.

I was reading Mike Reiss' book not too long ago and when he came back to the show around this time he said the first thing that stuck out to him was how different the writing process was compared to the early 90s. When he started the writing room was basically like a college dorm where everyone got along and when he came back it felt like a cliquey high school with gossip and "enemies" that leaked into the show. The one joke he cited as really bothering him was when Kirk Van Houten's arm gets cut off by piano wire from that season ("I told that idiot to cut my sandwich...ouch").

So, yeah, it wasn't just you that thought the show was getting more mean-spirited with its jokes. It's why I had to stop watching because feeling dirty after watching The Simpsons is not a good feeling.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Data Graham posted:

Who-all remembers those weird cranks who tried for years to petition the TV industry and Hollywood to ban letterboxing (which they called "letterschlocking") and widescreen-formatted movies because they considered it a form of censorship

They would come into Usenet groups and rabble-rouse and get into arguments that I think they thrived on. Twenty years later and I still don't know whether it was a genuine mental illness at work or someone doing "jokes on them I was only pretending" for like years on end

E: Either way I'm still thinking about this long after he probably died, so I guess he wins

I recall these people and I think they were being serious too. I still remember the dark days of working retail and hearing people complain about "the black bars" until Hollywood put their foot down and just dropped the Fullscreen Editions all together.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

DropsySufferer posted:

The one question I want answered is who is watching this show? I’ve never met anyone who still watches the Simpsons.

Who are the current Simpsons viewers and where do they come from?

I'm convinced Fox just keeps it around to keep their merchandise and licensed theme park attractions relevant. The only people viewing it are probably the ones watching the other shows in the animated line-up and figure "why not?".

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Though I can't say I'm totally surprised about Marge's voice. You do that voice for a living for 30 years and see how your throat turns out.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

galagazombie posted:

Hell the fact the Simpsons even attend church is kinda outdated. Only like 30% of Americans still regularly attend and they are mostly evangelicals.

Springfield is basically small town America so it would fit for them, even in 2018.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

brugroffil posted:

Could just be a syndication cut. Lots of times they'll cut little bits for reruns to squeeze in extra commercials.

They did it all the time in Canada. There was one channel (A-Channel for anyone who lived out West in the 90s) that aired the episodes with no syndication cuts which was passed around the playground fast.

I know SNPP would show which scenes were cut from syndication in their episode capsules if anyone wants a reference.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Original run Family Guy (first three seasons) actually holds up pretty well from what I've seen on YouTube anyways. The humor is so different from everything that came after because it lacks a lot of the mean-spiritedness and writers jerking themselves off that plagued the show later.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Speaking of series finales, back in 2011 when there was a contract dispute between Fox and the main voice actors there was a serious belief the show could end. So much so that this episode was written as a potential series finale if that ever happened (it ended up being the Christmas episode that season).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holidays_of_Future_Passed

It makes me wonder exactly how this show is going to end when it eventually does and if they do a "X years later" style story which seems logical at this point.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Well, they did show Bart Simpson's dick in the movie as a shock joke so I'm not terribly surprised they went that low.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Which podcasts, out of curiosity? I want to hear about this.

I also kinda want to listen to the audio commentary for the new seasons. The insights in the audio commentary for the 1-8 DVDs were usually interesting and funny, but what would they even have to say about the newer ones?

Mike Reiss wrote a book and did some podcasts where he talked about this. Well, the book for sure I don’t know about podcasts. He says he noticed it in the late 90s when he came back and saw the studio was like a drat high school with gossip, drama and pettiness everywhere that seeped into the show. He believed back then that was the source of the more mean spirited humor (like Jerkass Homer) that started around this time.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Probably for the best, honestly. The show was already bad by the time of W and we were already deep in lovely lazy “W=chimp lol” jokes.

Even South Park was really restrained when it came to "lol Dubya lol" jokes and I noticed it even at the time.

Family Guy was the show that went hog-wild with those jokes.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Alan_Shore posted:

I was gonna say, it's weird how no-one seemed to care after all the trials (acquitted) and the tabloid gossip, but a documentary comes out and now everyone is like MONSTER!

Michael Jackson and R Kelly were already meme'd as perverts and molesters and it only stopped with MJ because he died and his cult is really strong. The trials really did nothing other than ensure no jail time even though they should have gotten a them.

How Mike Tyson saw 3 years of prison time in the same era is really a miracle.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

The Moon Monster posted:

Have you been to an old person's home in the last 10-15 years? They tend to play Fox news 18 hours a day and get radicalized. Maybe she always sucked but a lot of people in that age range have gotten markedly shittier since the 90s.

One thing I've noticed about hardcore GOP/Trump celebrities is they always kept it under their hat (because, let's face it, Hollywood doesn't take kindly to them) and only come out with it when old and have their money.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

I. M. Gei posted:

Family Guy is not a woke show, and hasn’t been for years and years.

It makes a woke comment every now and then, but for every one woke thing it does there’s at least another 50 extremely unwoke ones.

Family Guy has always been the show with the shock humor that teenagers (including me back in the day) find hilarious but adults like me now just go "huh". It works for them and makes them money because teenagers will forever be around and at 34 I just let it be instead of being the guy that talks about "the children being wrong".

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Trump getting elected absolutely broke Colbert lol. (same)

It really did because his source of strength was his ability to use irony and weave it with conservative thinking.

Then Trump happened and he just can't do that so it's just "gently caress you, Trump" style jokes said plainly to the camera.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Last Chance posted:

Yep, if you ever hear someone recommend an episode of new simpsons and/or refer to it as “not that bad” do not listen. I used to try new simps episodes once in a while when people would say that, but it’s actually a dirty dirty trick and I will not be fooled again!!

It's a life lesson to know that "it's not that bad" is a nice way to say "it is that bad".

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Daikloktos posted:

Like once a year I remember one of Stripperella, Gary the Rat, or the Ren & Stimpy reboot and google what the fourth cartoon was that aired alongside them on Spike's Adult Swim competitor, yet the next year I have to look it up again.

What I will always remember about the Ren & Stimpy reboot is that it was so aggressively bad it actually killed off John K's fanbase once and for all.

Then he was outed as a pedo with CP on his computer that groomed his young fans so gently caress him.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
South Park was also in its prime in the early aughts. Just ignore the episodes with blatant social commentary that have not aged well. Actually, maybe I just defeated my own point there.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
That's why episodes like the LOTR spoof are timeless, no commentary just dumb and silly comedy.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I just hope they keep the mockery of hipsters going in any Mission Hill reboot at the very least. I'll watch it for what it is which is my stance on any and all reboots being made today.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
As I mentioned before Mission Hill's source of comedy was pretty much mocking hipsters (even in 1999). Every big city has their "hipster section" regardless of what coast they are on hence the shared experiences for people who live in one.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think the effect is supposed to be like their mouths froze mid-word.

Which is normally how you convey shock but in a comedic context.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I don't either. I mean the Nazis took a rather benign image from artists and made it their own despite the artists (well, just Pepe's creator) fighting back. The ADL has to report hate images and, sadly, those are being used as such so it's not wrong of them but clearly pains the people who made it. Then you have the whole Streisand Effect thing and there are no easy answers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Another one of those where after reading this it's easy to say "I can see why this got cut". Maybe it could've been good with actual performances and some rewrites, but as written this just doesn't feel nearly as good or tight as the rest of the episode.

Though I will say "We make an extra point of touchdown safety!" is a great line.