Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The Rick and Morty opening is the best thing the show has done in like 10 years. And I'm guessing they weren't involved in that at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Nah the funniest thing they've ever done is

My eyes! The goggles do NOTHING!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I really like Burns Baby Burns cos it introduced me to Rodney Dangerfield and Anyway You Want It.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

OK I'll defend Futurama by saying at its best it's funnier than Simpsons, is more rewatchable and has the best audio commentaries of all time.

Amazon Women in the Mood is just amazing start to finish.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Zapp Brannigan: Oh god, you're killing me! Oh GOD, you're KILLING me!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Junk posted:

i'm not going to watch read or listen to any of those things, can you just give us the rundown?

You should, Harmontown (both the doc and podcast) is amazing and funny and honest and just a good time you know?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Junk posted:

but that other guy said it was "utterly depressing" so one of you is lying

I would never lie to you. It's funny as gently caress

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Razorwired posted:

From what I learned in the Community TVIV thread:

Dan Harmon can't shut the gently caress up about his D&D Game. Years before Harmon Quest or whatever he would bring it up in every episode of his podcast. At one point his DM was hanging out with the crew like all the time.

He drinks all the loving time.

He's kind of a self loathing dick in general.

Honestly he's probably one of the goons defending Rick and Morty.

He can't shut up about D&D because they play it on the podcast, he enjoys it and it's segued into a successful TV show. The DM was just a dude from the audience who he became good friends with because he's funny and creative who eventually became an employee.

He does.

He'd be the first one to say this.

He's a millionaire with several successful TV shows. I don't get the hate.

inb4 Dan Harmon account spotted

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Christ, all you people who were banned from watching the loving Simpsons as kids, you must have been in America, right? I'm sure there was no outrage over it in the UK. There was no outrage over drat South Park, in fact I remember them hyping it up in the morning on early morning family show The Big Breakfast ahead of its premier.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Did anyone actually watch The Problem with Apu? The Indian comedians mention that The Simpsons have racist caricatures of everyone, but their problem was that there were no other Indians on American TV, only Apu, so he became the de facto standard of an Indian to many Americans. That's why they all had people quoting "thank you, come again" at them. Plus of course the guy doing it is white.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I watched some of the Conan writer's roundtable and Al Jean comes across like he's confused, with the least interesting stories. When he's talking I swear Conan is mentally going "oh stop TALKING"

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Disco Stu doesn't advertise

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The cross over was pretty decent and funnier than anything The Simpsons has done in... Maybe decades at this point?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It seems to me that the problem wasn't necessarily Apu, the problem was the fact that Apu was the ONLY Indian portrayed on American TV for decades, hence he became the go-to stereotype to make fun of American-Indian kids. If there had been a healthier abundance of Indian characters and shows on TV, maybe Apu wouldn't be so problematic

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

south park hasn't had a really great episode since 2014, although it's definitely been on a downward slide in recent seasons. simpsons hasn't had a great episode since 1997.

That's not true, the Tweek x Craig episode was more recent than that surely

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Right, in the UK all us school kids were watching Bottom, Red Dwarf, Blackadder. We had Carry On... on TV, with the boobies. We had Queen's I Want To Break Free, where men... *gulp* dressed as *whispers* ladies (banned in the US, too naughty).

The Simpsons being risque was mindboggling

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Not a Children posted:

Keep in mind that parents in the US, from 1981 through approximately 1994, were absolutely terrified of their children seeing womens' nipples

Then Friends came about and changed the game completely

Oh sure, I get it now, but even still, it's just so crazy how different our cultures are (one of my favourite things that points this out is in Evil Dead 2, where the only thing that the BBFC cut out was Ash being kicked on the floor, because in Blighty we don't kick a man when he's down. And at the same time MTV was loving terrified of men in dresses)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Is "Saddlesore Galactica" the elf jockey one? Because that's the first episode I remember watching and thinking "this is just awful. Nonsensical. Embarrassing"

Edit: I was 15. Christ I remember it like it was yesterday. The trauma

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 9, 2018

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

They should have put Lois in Hustler

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It's funny either way. That's why it's a good joke

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The funniest line in all of Simpsons, which had me laugh for 5 minutes the first time I heard it, is

MY EYES! THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I was gonna say, it's weird how no-one seemed to care after all the trials (acquitted) and the tabloid gossip, but a documentary comes out and now everyone is like MONSTER!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Best episodes:

Larry Burns (love me some Rodney Dangerfield, also introduced me to Anyway You Want It)

Scorpio

Viva Ned Flanders (can the poems, it's arse whooping time)

Homer and Mr Burns stuck in a log cabin (who knows, maybe I'll be the unlucky one to be fired! Not bloody likely)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I literally watched Homie the Clown just now because of this thread and yes it's absolutely hilarious from start to finish. What a difference passionate voice acting makes

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Whitlam posted:

What's the deal with Moe's ear/collar merge at 1:15?

Also The Fall of The Simpsons by Super Eyepatch Wolf which has been posted here previously has something of a follow-up that's worth checking out if you've got half an hour to spare.

This is great. Gonna have to check out Bartkira, and I highly recommend Simponswave especially at night

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Stop! Stop! He's already dead!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Plan Z posted:

Like, John Dimaggio made Futurama, but all you can give him in The Simpsons is one episode with Bender and a role in one of the video games?

John Dimaggio is an incredible human being but Billy West made Futurama. Bender is awesome but Fry, Farnsworth and Zoidberg?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I watched "Radioactive Man" last night and that's a classic episode, good to introduce people to The Simpsons with.

I already knew it had my all-time favourite line, "My eyes, the goggles do nothing!" but I completely forgot about Skinner's "Strange, I shouldn't have been able to hear that" that made me laugh for like 5 minutes.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Aight, new question

What is the MOST TYPICAL episode of The Simpsons

Radioactive Man

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'd put the peak of Futurama against the peak of Simpsons. Simpsons can't touch Futurama when it comes to emotion. When they're on the top of their game both are hilarious.

The Futurama movies are.... fine, but you should definitely watch the episodes that come after. You'll get one sorta bad one and a bunch of average to good stuff. Loads of good jokes. You'll be alright.

Why is no one talking about Disenchantment-- oh

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The Family Guy crossover is definitely a "classic" compared to the the recent... 15 years worth of poo poo flung at the wall. It was written by the FG crew and even if everything didn't land there were some good gags in there and you could tell they genuinely loved classic Simpsoons (like we all do)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The first 20 seconds are this thread summed up

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The thing is it's not a bad idea, Homer being drunk doing a Singing in the Rain parody, then getting put into a cop car. It's just the execution is so bad and lazy. Why is Kirk dancing on the pier with a basket of money? Why is Homer walking home along a pier? Him falling into the pier isn't funny? In classic Simpsons with the right effort that could have been up there with the Flintstones "about to hit a chestnut tree".

The voice acting is so phoned in. A lot of classic jokes in Simpsons, it's not even what's written, it's how the amazing cast say the lines that get the huge laughs. "I wasn't dangerous, just a disgrace" is actually a good line, but the delivery, and everything around it...

It's piss. What I'm saying is it's piss

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

well, he is a loser, you see, and has been reduced to dancing for money at the pier. it's not as though they'd make up a funny one-shot character to dance for money at the pier.

But his basket is full of money! He must be really good at dancing! People are throwing money at him! No no, this doesn't add up at all!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I just watched Bart's Inner Child. It's hilarious of course (had to Google how to fix the goddamn aspect ratio first though) but really struck me after half a bottle of ginger wine is the ending theme song. So nostalgic, yet so odd. SO odd. It's this bombastic, busy, yet quite eerie song. It doesn't scream cartoon comedy at all. But it's magical. I want to watch a half hour youtube video dissecting it while drunk, immediately.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Seth is cool. Al Jean... is absolutely not cool

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The episode that marked the show's downfall wasn't Grimes or Up Yours, Children! It was the loving magical jockey episode. Completely unfunny and universe breaking and the first episode I watched that I just remember thinking man that sucked! What season was that?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Post cancellation Futurama has some great episodes and gags and is better than the last 23 years of The Simpsons

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I was going to put something about how yes my old dog's white turds were also better than the last 23 years of The Simpsons, but there was some great stuff in those newer Futurama episodes you have to believe me! I'm technically correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I think you'll find all of Rick and Morty is amazing. Say what you want about that show, but they clearly put a ton of work and passion into it. Unlike say The loving Simpsons