Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Retconning how Homer met Marge.

Elf Jockeys.

Tony loving Blair

Going from believable dysfunctional family to holy poo poo we better copy Family Guy, more zanyness!

Visiting other countries and being lazy racist stereotype versions.

Being loving poo poo after running out of family situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Tom Gorman posted:

The other ones were bad but this is probably the worst Simpsons clip I've ever seen. Jesus christ.

This is the first modern Simpsons clip I have watched in about 5 years or more.
HOLY gently caress what happened!
The animation style, its its just WRONG.
And the movement speeds. Or is it the yt video itself, it's like a dream sequence. Slowed down a tad, making it unsettling. Like David Lynch shot it.

Its a Dad joke in cartoon form. No, even a Dad joke Dad would cringe at this.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Yeardley Smith only does Lisa and she gets the same amount as real voice actors like Dan Castellenetta who can do many chracters

She must be thanking God daily after getting into the Simpsons.
She was always the 'frumpy quirky' one in her roles before, and with her looks only destined to play a female Ferengi on Star Trek at some point.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Piss de Bundy posted:

"SIMPSON, Homer SIMPSON, hes the greatest guy in his-to-ryyy, from the, town of springfield, hes about to hit a chestnut treeee"

If that scene was made today, he would hit the tree, and out would pop Kanye from the tree complaining that you disturbed his recording session.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Drink-Mix Man posted:

About 1/3 of it, yeah.

Those are called ads.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I want to think this is when the cast members started doing lines over the phone.

That was when they were in the pay dispute.
The voice actress for Maude left for 4 years, she does Mrs Lovejoy and Milhouse's mothers too, and they killed off Maude the next season.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

SEX BURRITO posted:

British TV has people in ridiculously oversized homes too. Eastenders is full of market traders and shop assistants living in Victorian terraces in East London.

There’s a big class gap in TV in the UK. It tends to be either really poor or really wealthy people on TV. Most attempts at showing the middle class tend to be smug and bland. Which makes sense.

Victorian terraces aren't that good really.
They may look good from the outside, but inside unless renovated are just rotting slum houses.
I never thought any Eastenders house was big, they are always cluttered dingy rooms.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

get that OUT of my face posted:

the funniest people tend to be crazy or self-loathing

So where's my sitcom?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Saw about 5 minutes of a future one where Bart has two kids.
It had 20000000 'current tech but will be outdated then' jokes, not one plot point.

This show needs to die.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

That's because they legally can't refer to it as the Super Bowl, without paying a fee, so "the big game" it is

One of the first Godzilla/Gameron movies was dubbed that the kids wanted to see the 'World Championship'.
World Championship of what sport? Never mentioned.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

CodfishCartographer posted:

but the idea of someone thinking the early years are a low point is loving decaying my brain.

Can only assume that some people think the early seasons are boring as there isn't 30 gags a minute.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
What was the last good Treehouse of Horror?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Wirth1000 posted:

Number 1 is easily 4 with me. The gremlin, Mr. Burns Vampire, and Flanders Devil all in one episode like god drat.

Sure.
Didn't like the Gremlin one, other two are definitely the best.
For me its definitely 6. The Shining and the Cafeteria canibalism one.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

PinheadSlim posted:

I like to play a game when I'm drunk where I see how far I can get into a new episode of the Simpsons. Not even completely smashed can I make it past around the 7 minute mark for any of them.

This is especially alarming to me because I like a lot of bad stuff. How can I possibly read not just one but several Warhammer novels, but I can't get through even one episode of the modern simpsons even with the aid of tons of booze?

:iiam:

Same.
I was surfing channels a few weeks ago and saw Simpsons, and hoped it was an oldie.
But it wasn't. Now I like bad films and such, but this was just 'bland'.
Thinking on it now, take their old parody cartoon "Worker and Parasite", dub it to sound more english, insert a 2010 pop cultural reference, and its the Simpsons.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Empty Sandwich posted:

My first "holy poo poo, the Simpsons predicted this" moment was after watching S01E06, "Moaning Lisa." In the B-plot video game, Bart does a finishing move that knocks off the other player's head. In early 1990, we found that joke hilarious and absurd.

Then, two years later, Mortal Kombat was released.

The satire on the Simpsons used to be so cutting-edge it was predictive.

I always thought that was just a copy of an Amiga game called Moonstone.
Here is the gif:

Don't remember the exact Bart scene though.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Detective No. 27 posted:

At this point, the show is just marketing for a mobile game. Supereyepatch Wolf had a great video last year about how The Simpsons these days makes the majority of it's money through Tapped Out and how the real Simpsons content these days have been the various fan works made throughout the years.

That game is still going?
Wow, I stopped playing it when it was so overloading my crappy phone making it run 1fps.
Ripoff game too. Thankfully never spent a cent on it. Their donut prices for items is insane.
gently caress that game.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

Y'all should watch the recent THOH segment where Homer develops a taste for human flesh and starts eating himself. It was the first time in like 20 years they've done a warning about the disturbing content and the first time they did one specifically for a single segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua7dN2mKyMs

Because it's nu Simpsons, it's loving horrible though.

gently caress, that is terrible.
I was thinking while watching it all it needs now is a celeb walk on......and on walks a random celeb.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Homer make funny noise at end!!!!!

"There is still 2 seconds left we need to fill."
"Hmmm. Just fill it with Homer_Scream_3."
"We've already used it 10 times this episode."
"Use 4 then."
"GENIUS!"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Gremlin on the side of the bus.
Possibly the only character in the Simpsons that has one sole purpose to kill.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Never seen this before, thanks.
It's like that Lexx episode of the TV planet.
Or SCP Laugh is Fun.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Das Boo posted:

Aren't 90% of Family Guy songs rehashes from old musicals? Like a LOT of Bing Crosby stuff. I ran into that Shapoopie song in its original form not too long ago.

MacFarlane is a big musical fan, he has often said so.

Musicals suck.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFFJQeS5SIs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxS9S36ZsyA

Sky advertising at the time was HEAVILY Simpsons laden back then.

FIVE WHOLE CHANNELS!

Star Trek was another big boost for Sky, the later TNG seasons and DS9 were on Sky first, then on BBC a year later.
You would be reading issues of Starlog about season 6 while only seeing season 5 for the first time.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

They had a good inkling for a good joke here.
Instead of the song, just have the NPR guy haggle the price down of the statue with an indifferent Homer.
NPR still scans and see its $30k, but haggles it down from $30 to $3.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

I should include clips so you stop getting ideas that The Simpsons might be OK now

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1368785075907792898

This was not made by any human. This was made by some AI designed for something completely else.
Yeardley Smith is totally tired doing her lines in this, no energy at all.

And it has two scratch sound effects for no reason at all.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

There is an SCP called 'Laugh is Fun' which is some sort of extra dimensional entity making a comedy tape that appears in our universe, but it doesn't get the comedy right.
Its either hosed up disturbing, bizarre weird, or nonsensical.

This Simpsons clip strongly vibes the same bizarreness.
The uncanny valley effect but for comedy, editing, and timing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Cemetry Gator posted:

Take the stuff with JJ's assistants - what's the joke?

No really, what's the joke?

They're just acting weirdly. That's not a joke.

Where's the joke?

There's a joke, right?

Old Simpsons satired Hollywood by portraying them as weasels.
Zombie Simpsons idolizes Hollywood by not satiring any part of it at all.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

YeahTubaMike posted:

I've never seen the movie Precious but as a Black person, that "blaccent" poo poo gave me visceral anger-chills.

Never heard of the movie, but just watched the trailer for it, and holy poo poo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

You Are A Elf posted:

Three episodes later was the Kim Basinger/Alec Baldwin episode

Simpsons will probably be the first show in existence to have fans of the whatever is the latest series go back and watch the earlier seasons and go 'who the gently caress are they?' to the celeb cameos.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
The best ever animated show was from the UK, and it was called Monkey Dust.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Maguro posted:

something must have broke me, because I was able to watch this entire clip.

that was funny "enough", i would probably watch the entire episode

what the gently caress

There was one good joke imo, the vote next time one. Buried among the kerbillion other poo poo attempts.
They do like firing out zingers after zingers every few seconds, no lead up or letting a joke land for a few seconds after.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

bitterandtwisted posted:

s8 was the lowest point of Red Dwarf. I assume. Never did watch the revival seasons where everyone is so old and tired looking.

Oh god no. Season 9 is worse.
10+ are alright, some decent episodes, they at least try to go back to the winning formula of early seasons and do get a few funny ones.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Calaveron posted:

This shot looks like dogshit, I mean look at it. Lisa is three, maybe four colors if you count black and flat textures while everything around her is overdesigned and overtextured, she stands out so bad, like a cartoon character photoshopped into a real photo

The scales are all wrong. The guy is too large for that chair, looks like hes floating not sitting on it, and if he stood up his head would be up to the top of the window.
The hat on the wall on the left is closer to the camera than the guy, but its still too small for the guy.
The table between them looks like it is floating. The bottom of it is touching the wall, but it gets bigger as you go up, so the far side of it should be clipping into the wall itself.
They forgot to trace the wall bits inbetween the table spaces

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Star Trek TNG accurately predicted tablets but not wireless connectivity or networked file sharing. So people carry around stacks of tablets with notes for different subjects.

Wasn't the reason was that it was for security reasons and they were so limited to only for the use of whatever section you were working in.
As you could probably do anything to any other part of the ship from anywhere.
Meaning Wesley would destroy the ship every 30 minutes if they were limitless.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Never been banned watching TV, but for The Simpsons it was about how rich you were.
Here in Ireland/UK, you could only watch it on Satellite TV, Sky 1.
Which was really expensive at the start.
Same with Star Trek TNG, we would be years behind everyone when it appeared on terrestrial TV later.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
TIL Martin is a 36 year old undercover cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Das Boo posted:

100%! I have very distinct memories of disappointment from being 4 years old and seeing the start of the next Tom and Jerry short was one of those ugly ones. (Reooowr! Fft! Fft!) Also being absolutely mesmerized by the multiplane camera shots in early Popeye despite having no clue what was going on. I didn't understand the whys, but even to a toddler the theatrical shorts were the "good" ones.

Sort of had the same.
I hated the animation style where you could tell when the next bit of body was going to move or do something as it was a bit brighter than everything else.
This really made me hate on Scooby Doo for a long while. There were just certain ones where it was very obvious.