Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The principal and the pauper isn't bad, much like Homer's enemy is a pretty good ep as well, but neither episode tries to actually wrap up in a satisfactory way, and they are early examples of the laziness that would soon become the norm for the Simpsons. Pauper is especially bad because the premise is so flat out dumb, but it still has a bunch of great jokes and one-liners so it doesn't feel like the bottom has fallen out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Blind Pineapple posted:

Comedy Central split up the last 2 26-epidsode seasons into 4 13-episode seasons. Also, for some reason the first run had 5 seasons, but was released later as 4 seasons on DVD.

Futurama had 4 production seasons which were split into 5 broadcast seasons.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Bart dating girls would make sense if they had aged the characters, but they didn't so it doesn't.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

But the elephant parade and the rakes! Not to mention "Remember, you are Mr. Thompson."

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

It's also worth noting, that Homer's defense in that Episode, that he was grabbing a Gummi Venus de Milo off of her rear end, isn't really a good defense. It just makes him stupid instead of malicious.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The fact that the simpsons is stealing jokes that family guy already stole is hilarious, and utterly unsurprising.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

SeANMcBAY posted:

The chicken fights in Family Guy are better than this poo poo.

The joke about barts nuts in skinners face almost made me laugh, but then nothing even remotely funny happened for the resst of the video so the moment passed.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Old timey names are always funny.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Angelwolf posted:

I saw two episodes about 10 years ago and have up on post season 8 since.

I remember Bart goes to fat camp, and Frank Grimes Jr looking for revenge

"He happened to like hookers, okay?" was the low point for a long time.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember watching that episode live (I was drunk) and the whole time I was thinking "what the gently caress? Who is this and why do I care?"

Very few cartoons are broadcast live. It's a terrible strain on the animator's wrists.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Homer's Enemy pretty clearly has Homer being a jerk for reasons other than being laz or stupid. The people on the commentary even note that it's the episode where the Simpsons loses it's moral center.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The creators seemed to think that the show was winding down, so they were just trying stuff to see if it would stick.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

When You Dish Upon a Star still has a little of that spirit of mocking celebrities so it isn't a complete loss. It also has a Ray Bolger joke, and how often do you get to use those? Otherwise it's a forgettable episode

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

They have Lisa explain things to Homer so they can get move on to the next gag. It is altogether unbelievable that Homer would change his behavior at all unless prompted to by Lisa. He's just too stupid these days.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Data Graham posted:

Pro use of Apu for 2018-tuned “lol Indians sure are weird” points

The only thing that was slightly funny was the farmer who didn't know he was being broadcast. And it wasn't so funny that it made me laugh out loud either, more like a slight smile. And then I realized that it was a joke the Simpsons had done before.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Also, I'm not sure I buy into the notion that "jerk-rear end Homer" came later. I think people just misremember because they like the old episodes. Homer is a huge shithead in just about every episode I've watched.

It used to be because Homer was lazy or stupid though. He wasn't a jerk just to be a jerk, he just couldn't be bothered to do what was necessary to not be a jerk. Once Homer was motivated he usually did the right thing.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Not really. He's just straight up a jerk for no reason. See "When Flanders Failed".

That is an entire episode about Homer's moral dilemma. He isn't being a jerk for no reason, he wants to see Flanders fail because Flanders' previous success makes him insecure. Homer's hatred of Flanders being about his own jealousy is the foundation of that relationship. Also note that Homer is doing anything to directly harm Flanders, he just isn't mentioning the Leftorium to his friends and coworkers.

But most importantly, at the end of the episode he realizes that Flanders hasn't done anything to deserve his apathy and takes action to save Flanders' business. The end of the episode is basically the end to It's a Wonderful Life, and is just completely saccharine and re-establishes Homer's basic morality.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

He used to strangle Bart. He's always been a jerk. It's just that he used to have reasons for it, and he never went so far that we couldn't identify with him.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

season 9 really kind of sucked but there were still good episodes in 10 . homer the Edison was pretty funny and had a lot of memorable lines . The entire opening sequence was great .

“Dad , women won’t like being shot in the face”
“Women will like what I tell them to like”

I think that was the last great episode,at least in my opinion. No surprise, it was a John Schwartzwelder episode.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

What about the Australia episode? Did you get that one?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Last Chance posted:

Because it's loving awful. You're dead wrong, bucko

The joke is that it is supposed to be terrible. That being the case, it succeeded well beyond their wildest expectations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Actually each movie was designed to be split into four episodes, so they collectively form the fifth season. I agree that the second movie was really really bad. It had exactly one good joke, the joke with Bender's son.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

The second one was the best movie! You guys are thinking of the third one, which had a bunch of uninspired fantasy jokes and a plot that made no sense.

I liked the sections of Bender's Game that weren't in the fantasy world. Also I always love bloodthirsty, murderous Leela.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

bitterandtwisted posted:

Fry's dog episode

They have to practice hand to hand combat in case an enemy knocks the laser gun out of their hand and it slides way across the floor

It seems obvious from the fact that they thought to include that line that they were trying to make a joke about pointless fan service. It is also obvious from the length of time that they stayed in those costumes that the real point of it was pointless fan service.

I don't think it is a coincidence that Futurama came on TV at the same time the Simpsons was settling in to its decline. Futurama absolutely was better that the Simpsons episodes that were airing at that time. In terms of quality I'd say the original run compares well with say season 8 of the Simpsons where things were starting to get really wacky but they still had ideas to work with. It doesn't hold a candle to seasons 3-6 though.

I liked the Comedy Central run okay, it was still better than the Simpsons of the day, but it definitely had some stinkers.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

There isn't anything different about the animation, they just moved do the coloring with digital coloring instead of cell painting now. It is much cheaper actually and looks cleaner. Cleaner does not necessarily mean better unfortunately.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Sagebrush posted:

uhhhhhh no there is absolutely a difference in the quality of the animation beyond just the colors.

Well, yeah the animation is drawn a lot lazier than they used to be. I was talking technically, as in the tools they are using. No one on the Simpsons actually gives a poo poo anymore, I thought that was a given.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

The characters are also AT a musical, so it's funny if it sucks because musicals suck. The Streetcar Named Desire episode is also funny.

The joke there isn't that musicals are bad, it's that those movies aren't suited to being made into musicals. Musicals are in fact very good.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Last Chance posted:

it'll also be a re investigation into who shot mr. burns because why not revisit that.

It'll turn out that it was actually Lisa herself who did it, in a shocking twist!

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

Here's how the Simpsons handled the then-current political climate in Season 15

That was the episode where I realized good simpsons was never coming back and stopped watching.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Sonic 3 has plausible deniability, because the official line has always been that Michael left the project and they didn't use his stuff. But he definitely voiced Leon Kompowsky on the Simpsons, even if he didn't sing "Lisa it's your Birthday."

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cubone posted:

I'd rather watch Lisa vs. Malibu Stacey, Lisa the Iconoclast, Lisa's Wedding, The Old Man and the Lisa, Lisa's Substitute, Summer of 4'2", or My Sister My Sitter, than $pringfield, Scenes From the Class Struggle in Springfield, Marge in Chains, Marge Be Not Proud, or A Streetcar Named Marge
e: also Bart vs. Thanksgiving, which IS a Lisa episode, it's definitely not a loving Bart episode ok

BUT I'd rather watch Marge on the Lam, The Twisted World of Marge Simpson, or Marge vs. The Monorail, than Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington, I Love Lisa, Lisa the Vegetarian, or The Secret War of Lisa Simpson.
e2: and Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment is a Homer episode, but if it were a Lisa episode it would go here

I hope everybody's taking notes

I will fight you over A Streetcar Named Marge. It has Ayn Rands School for Tots, Maggie's Great Escape pacifier heist, the birds scene with all the babies, Marge threatening to stab Ned Flanders with a broken bottle, and "You can always depend on the kindness of strangers."

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Last Chance posted:

Barney's movie about drinking outweighs any negative aspects about that ep. Also I think Matt Groening hated this episode and took his name off of it? lol

Groening was just pissed cause it was a crossover episode. James L Brooks thought it would be a nice thing to do because Al Jean and Mike Reiss were the creators of the Critic, and everyone else on the Simpsons agreed, but Groening got really upset for some reason. Pretty much everyone involved has said it was a dick move on Groening's behalf.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I gave up on Disenchantment after the first couple episodes, but then came back and finished it about a month or two later. It does improve, but I'm not sure that it was worth it. A couple of the episodes had me laughing a lot, but I can't remember why now.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mr Interweb posted:

This makes me unreasonably angry.

Why is Marge looking depressed making cupcakes? She's almost always happy when she's baking. Is there a reason why she's not happy this time? There's no reason Marge has to be portrayed like this and this clip doesn't even attempt to offer any. Blue frosting cupcakes aren't by any means a clever reference for meth. Not in the least. What is Homer's purpose? He's clandestinely scouting the cupcakes from afar and does...nothing? Literally none of this is funny or clever in any sense. It's like when Stewie mocked Bill Cosby for thinking he was being funny by pretending he was skiing, when he was just showing what it looks like when you're skiing. Furthermore, the entire concept doesn't even make sense with what it's "parodying" because Homer is supposed to be portrayed as Walter White, BUT HE'S NOT THE ONE MAKING THE METH/CUPCAKES!

What the hell is the point of any of this? :argh:

I don't think that clip is very funny, but it's a couch gag. The moment you start talking about character motivation during a couch gag you're overthinking things. They just exist to fill time in a short episode. When you start complaining that Marge looks bored you might as well complain that it is out of character for the couch to turn into a monster and eat the Simpsons. None of it is supposed to actually be happening in the Simpsons universe.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mr Interweb posted:

Eh, I may have to dispute this. Like the Simpsons in general, couch gags were mostly funny and clever for a long time. May be not super funny or clever, but certainly worthy of chuckles at minimum. This one however is...nothing. The sole purpose of it is to remind people of Breaking Bad, while not incorporating it in a way that made either clever or coherent use of the source material. It's essentially what Family Guy became after it came back on Fox where many of the flashbacks had no underlying jokes or gags behind them, but simply existed to signal to the audience that they remember the thing they're referencing.

What are you disputing exactly? I said it wasn't funny. I was just saying that Marge behaving uncharacteristically isn't a very good criticism of a couch gag, because couch gags are designed to have characters behaving oddly.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Moe episodes are usually bad because they ask you to sympathize with Moe. But Moe is a terrible person who doesn't really deserve sympathy! Pity maybe, but not sympathy.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

Only Randy Jackson and none of the other American Idol judges is loving sad.

Uh, Simon Cowell is on that list.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

Catching a random Season 20+ episode on FXX. Homer's not around and Marge is laying in bed, says she misses him, goes into the nightstand, pulls out a dildo sized box, long pause, pulls knitting needles out of the box and starts knitting.

That's actually a joke with a set up and subverted expectations. There's no way that this is the lowest point of the Simpsons. It's miles better than "Homer gets horribly brutalized by _______"

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

Also, Homer wasn't there because he was hypnotized to believe he was 10 years old and spending the whole episode acting like a child.

Thaaaat's more like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

SeANMcBAY posted:

She has range but she really does do the same 3 voices for a lot of roles.

This is true of a lot of voice actors really. If you hire them special for a part, they can do some great things, but for most bit parts they're gonna do their generic voices because usually it's good enough and creating new voices is hard.