Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I hope they keep those Trios belts for awhile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

fun undercard if nothing totally memorable and all three singles matches should be excellent.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Yeah, undercard wasn't as good as Sapporo's undercard, but it was still pretty fun. Really looking forward to the next few matches, anyway.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

I'm watching with English commentary, and they have Okada and Gedo muted during the interview. It doesn't make much of a difference since I don't speak Japanese, but it's still amusing.

Edit since I'm the last post: I didn't think much of Shibata when I first started watching NJPW, but jesus christ the dude really is a human WMD.

Mr. Swoon fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 11, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That suplex was fantastic, I think partly because he was positioned lower down Ospreay's body than usual and it made it look more impressive somehow.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I hope they both win :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stanfield posted:

I hope they both win :allears:

Oh well v:shobon:v

That ring-out spot where Ospreay got Shibata back into the ring before the 20 count was done fantastically.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
That was everything I wanted from those two and more.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Yeah, that was a great match with the right ending. Props to Shibata and Ospreay there.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

Iizuka is going to literally eat one of these people, probably Yano. Cyrus was smart to run away.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I am enjoying the other two teams not wanting to have anything to do with Iizuka.

This commentary team really seems to lack chemistry :(

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I am enjoying the other two teams not wanting to have anything to do with Iizuka.

This commentary team really seems to lack chemistry :(

Why are you still watching in English?

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

I'm putting a lot of the not great commentary on Cyrus having the flu and being out of the business for over a decade. That and Kevin Kelly was never very good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Venomous posted:

Why are you still watching in English?

Was saving the Japanese for the last two matches, switching over now.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

shibata/ospreay was basically exactly what I expected and that's cool.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Well this already rules.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Like a loving missile :stare:

Edit: I've counted at least 3 deaths so far.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 11, 2017

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

At least one of those two will actually die in a match with the other one day, and that match will get seven stars.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn these two have amazing chemistry :munch:

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

This Naito/Elgin match is pretty great too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That match was excellent, goddamn

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

one of the best B shows I've ever seen.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

eh, Sapporo was better on the whole, but yeah, that was good

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
the best wrestling theme is currently dragon lee's dub theme for njpw

let the world know

it contains both a guy asking a girl if she wants to know how he keeps it hot, and a reference to montezuma

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Holy gods, that Takahashi/Lee match was spectacular.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
Just caught up. All the championship matches were excellent. But the thing I really loved was how Ospreay's gimmick has evolved to "giant Okada mark."

I identify. :allears:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Needs More Jazz posted:

Just caught up. All the championship matches were excellent. But the thing I really loved was how Ospreay's gimmick has evolved to "giant Okada mark."

I identify. :allears:

Chris Charlton said that Okada called him "Rainmaker Jr" during intermission. I do think a Naito/Hiromu vs. Okada/Ospreay match would make sense esp since Ospreay could job to Naito without really being negatively affected.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Yeah, I love how Ospreay's gimmick is pretty much "I hope Okada-senpai notices me!"

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Naito/Elgin was incredible. Really enjoyed it.

As someone who, before WK11 last watched NJPW around 2005/2006, it's incredible the amount of talent they have on board now they aren't solely relying on old guys to hold the straps.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Thrifting Day! posted:

Naito/Elgin was incredible. Really enjoyed it.

As someone who, before WK11 last watched NJPW around 2005/2006, it's incredible the amount of talent they have on board now they aren't solely relying on old guys to hold the straps.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing how much they've turned around. It's like the opposite of WWE where all I see is constant burial of current talent to push part timers and old guys. In an alternate universe, I'm sure that Tenryu won his retirement match and held the IWGP title for like a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Finally got to watch the show.

The trios titles continue to deliver matches that are way more fun than they have any right to be. Nakanishi owns despite his huge limitations.

All three singles matches were MOTYC for me.

Shibata/Ospreay was everything I hoped for and Ospreay constantly pulls something out to surprise me. The countout tease was such a cool twist on that trope. I also liked the story of Shibata finding a counter to the constant flips out of suplexes. Holding the choke through the flip looked especially gruesome.

Takahashi/Dragon Lee was maybe the single most reckless non-death match I've ever seen. Those two have zero regard for their own bodies. Combine that with ther chemistry and it's straight magic.

The main event was so perfectly matched to the venue. Osaka is always out for some Naito blood and Elgin really did seem hellbent on killing him. I bit on a few of the nearfalls, especially the Elgin Bomb. What a brutal pace for a match that was around 40 minutes.

Definitely preferred this show to Sapporo like I thought I would.

• Locked thread