Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Rotten Tomatoes: 95%
Metacritic: 81%
AVClub: A-
IMDb: 6.8

:siren: On VOD now :siren:

The Love Witch, Anna Biller's (writer, director, producer, editor, set design, costume design) sophomore feature length production is a black comedy that tells the story of Elaine (Samantha Robinson), the titular witch and her use of sex magick in the pursuit of true love.

To say more than that would be giving too much away. The Love Witch revels in its style, a throwback pastiche that simultaneously feels like 50s melodrama, giallo, grindhouse sexploitation, and Hammer all at once. However, it also commits to its substance: a fiercely feminist take both celebrating and calling out the fear of female sexuality in ways beyond what you would expect from a movie with this title. It's also extremely sharp and consistently funny (including without a doubt the best period gag in film history) without ever putting its tongue distractingly deep into its cheek.

If there are any complaints it would be that the film could use some stricter editing - especially during one or two scenes that go far longer than they should have - but in doing so you would lose a lot of the authentic era-inspired editing that works so well during the film's more climactic moments.

:witch: See this movie, dummies :witch:

weekly font fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I haven't seen this yet, but I love how wholeheartedly Biller and her production team threw themselves into recreating a past aesthetic. It looks shockingly authentic, and there's a great interview with Biller out there where she talks about how she lit the film and why the digital press photos they shot don't look right. I'm glad film is being kept alive, even if it is mostly for the purpose of throwback.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I haven't seen this yet, but I love how wholeheartedly Biller and her production team threw themselves into recreating a past aesthetic. It looks shockingly authentic, and there's a great interview with Biller out there where she talks about how she lit the film and why the digital press photos they shot don't look right. I'm glad film is being kept alive, even if it is mostly for the purpose of throwback.

One of the film's best jokes heavily leans on the authenticity of the setting.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I caught this in the theater last month. I think I'll probably be one of the only dissenting voices. Here's my review that I think I posted in the Rate the Latest... thread:

Anna Biller has crafted a loving visual tribute to Italian films of the 60s and 70s. The colors, art direction, lighting and camerawork are all spot on. She really nailed it. Samantha Robinson is the perfect talent for the kinds of glamorous closeups in line with this style.

But while the movie is visually top-notch, it has a lot of problems. First and foremost is the muddled script. The narrative is disastrously uneven. We jump from subplot to subplot, with some segments (such as the nightclub scene) feeling like something out of a different movie. The film's individual parts feel disparate from one another. The result is a rather tedious experience. With a running time of two hours, the film overstays its welcome. It's in desperate need of some serious edits.

The movie is ostensibly a satire, but there are problems with this aspect as well. The best way I can describe the satirical nature of the movie is unfocused. Sometimes it feels like it's poking fun at the stilted acting and gaudy styles of the films after which it's modeled, but other times it feels genuinely silly. The effect is disorienting. An example: the actress who plays Elaine's friend Barbara - her acting is atrocious; one might assume this is intentional, but I'm really not sure. It's just confusing.

While I love the ambition and passion that clearly went into this, I feel that Biller probably should have had some more chefs in the kitchen. Specifically a more meticulous screenwriter and a liberal editor. Tighter, leaner and more adept in its satire, this could have been something really great.

2.5/5

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's weird to call out the friends acting when everyone else is bad or worse. She's just a grounded character for most of the movie so maybe it stands out more? But I'm with you on the editor. Especially that Ren faire scene, christ.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
So this is what, a giallo Black Dynamite?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

weekly font posted:

It's weird to call out the friends acting when everyone else is bad or worse. She's just a grounded character for most of the movie so maybe it stands out more? But I'm with you on the editor. Especially that Ren faire scene, christ.

The friend was just an example. There was a lot of bad acting. Yeah, the fair scenes were excruciating.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Spatulater bro! posted:

The friend was just an example. There was a lot of bad acting. Yeah, the fair scenes were excruciating.

I think it's intentional especially when you look at the professor. His ham was perfect.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Spatulater bro! posted:

First and foremost is the muddled script. The narrative is disastrously uneven. We jump from subplot to subplot, with some segments (such as the nightclub scene) feeling like something out of a different movie. The film's individual parts feel disparate from one another. The result is a rather tedious experience. With a running time of two hours, the film overstays its welcome. It's in desperate need of some serious edits.

This describes so many lovely 70s movies like this that maybe this really is giallo Black Dynamite. Even in movies with not a lot of subplots I've seen so many scenes of "whelp let's just watch character drink a beer in a club for ten minutes straight, no reason." :laffo:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like the way the film uses the camp/comedy aspect- it's not so much a spoof as it is saying "okay this is absurd but accept it so we can tell this story." It's disarming.

There are a couple of plot issues near the end but nothing too huge. It is fairly clever, even sophisticated in its handling of the gender issues- everyone has these fantasies that can never quite be lived up to.

And related to this the camera really just worships Samantha Robinson in this way that even modern male gazey stuff doesn't reach. It's that old school "this is our star" approach and it works wonderfully.

The aesthetic alone would make me love this film- when did modern filmmakers go off on the color pink?- but fortunately there's some substance with it. It's a very pleasurable experience.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

The aesthetic alone would make me love this film- when did modern filmmakers go off on the color pink?- but fortunately there's some substance with it. It's a very pleasurable experience.

spring break...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
drat this movie is gorgeous. Its not a masterpiece overall but if you enjoy some of the Technicolor classics from the 50's and 60's(Hammer, Corman's Poe adaptations) then its such a treat. I've never seen a film that so meticulously and successfully recreates the look of a previous era, and Love Witch does it in a way that is aware of what made those movies great and celebrates it. Especially now with how prevalent high def restorations are, you could show The Love Witch to someone and fool them into thinking it was actually made in the early 60's.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Reading interviews with Anna Biller about this movie got me to finally watch Marnie by Hitchcock, which she names as a primary influence. Definitely check it out if you liked The Love Witch and haven't seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Reading interviews with Anna Biller about this movie got me to finally watch Marnie by Hitchcock, which she names as a primary influence. Definitely check it out if you liked The Love Witch and haven't seen it.

This makes so much sense that I can't believe I didn't see it.

• Locked thread