Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

JamezBfod posted:

Am I the only one that isn't grimdark and bloodthirsty? Am I missing a theme here?

Technically, Hildegard is neither dark nor bloodthirsty, and she'll happily take the nice and easy road if nothing/no one gets in her way. If you do though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Hajra is a fanatic, not a grimdark murderer :v:

Who knows what path the spirits have laid out for her.

(ra ra rasputin, lover of the Russian queen)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Magroth... hm. Certainly not bloodthirsty. Grimdark? Some grimness to his origins, certainly, The potential to go down dark paths, but by no means inevitably.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
It is me. I admit it it.

I am the grimdark.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I dunno, I think you're tied for grimdark with I am communist :v:

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

JamezBfod posted:

Am I the only one that isn't grimdark and bloodthirsty? Am I missing a theme here?

Teddy. Bear...

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
Is it named Osito?

No you are the grimdarkiest. Your teddy bear is a terrorbear. I assume they exist in this world.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Gamethread is up.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Hey, AJ_Impy. Your action is too broad. Restoring your business and coming up with new methods is not going to happen in a single roll. Also, the new methods thing is something you're going to have to do yourself.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I got the message. This is more laying the groundwork, if you will. Trying to parley that talent into a few days more supplies, enough to survive whilst working on how to thrive.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Making an app for it/when people flake or die horribly

Henrich vonStrozoven, 2nd in line for the County of Aails

Description:
Aails is a small county within the Kingdom of Halstad, relatively unworthy of note besides providing an above average number of volunteers during the Revolution. The vonStrozoven family has controlled the county for generations, building up a small keep and a network of mildly productive villagers that surround it. The father of the current Count, Bernhardt 'Book-Brurner' was one of the more rabid supporters of the Revolution, semi-famously ordering every single piece of parchment and vellum in his home to be tossed into the fire. His descendants have kept the same zeal, minus one. Henrich, second son and thus second to inherit, was born with a passion for knowledge. The rate at which he completed his studies astounded his tutors, surpassing his more traditional older brother at a young age. He became particularly enamored with both the old magic of the Lifebringers and the original texts of the Revolution, which generally held a more populous bent than the current rulers of Halstad would like to admit. He made no secret to his family that he thought he would be better suited to rule than his older brother, choosing the fact that he actually cared about the peasants as a salient point. His father eventually sent him away to the capital of Iristh to "learn the ways of the court", hoping his son would either die or retreat from his odious views. Instead Henrich is more passionate than ever, and intends to build that same zeal in anyone he meets.

Mortal Qualities:
Noble Education[+4]: Even in blissfully ignorant Halstad the noblity's children have to learn something. Henrich took to his studies with glee, learning everything he could as soon as possible. His education, though not focusing too much on any one topic, was broad. His lust for scholarship has lead Henrich to remember most of what was taught to him in his youth, and add more onto it. (Represents a broad base of knowledge about drat near everything. Language, liteature, science, religion; if it was written down Henrich can probably talk about it for five hours.)

Dueling Aficionado[+2]: The noble courtly duel holds a special place in Henrich's heart. Any challenge is usually met with a request for battle, though he very often only goes to first hit or first blood. He prefers the weapon of the Halstad upper class: a light bronze short sword called the Edelschwert

Noblesse Oblige[+2]: Henrich does genuinely care for the common people, and they return his care in kind. Due to his habit of charity to those lower than him the masses are often more likely to listen to the young lordling than other members of the nobility. He has a special gift for rousing the people, one that he helps keep up by protecting them to the best of his abilities

Drawbacks

Scholar among the ignorant[-2]: Henrich is a man devoted to knowledge in a country that burns libraries. If that were not bad enough he also has a interest in the Lifebringers and their more esoteric experiments. Even his habit of carrying books around marks him as a bit of an outsider among the people of Halstad

Family Issues[-2]: Henrich's family don't like him very much. His older brother despises him, his father is embarrassed by him and his mother considers him a dead man walking. The vonStrozoven's have cut off nearly all support to him besides what is nesscarry to keep up appearances. Needless to say that if he gains an ounce of fame his family will try and scheme against him.

Starting Location - Iristh, the capital of Halstad

What do you want out of the game? I'm taking a look at what a certain Count might have been like before he became a horrible abomination locked in a suit. I'm also trying to look at the theme of freedom and its relationship to power, something that I kinda wanted to do last game but didn't.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Hey my internet has been out or terribly unreliable for a week or so. Once I get Taxes and Toothaches taken care of I should be ready to go.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
That's ok. Take as long as you need. RL always comes first.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Now that I have conducted a business transaction in-game I was wondering under what context or circumstances I could make use of my temporary political information trait?

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

JamezBfod posted:

Now that I have conducted a business transaction in-game I was wondering under what context or circumstances I could make use of my temporary political information trait?

Well anything where knowing more about the political situation in the Tsarate than almost anyone outside of it would be useful.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Post incoming after work, so like 8pm central time u.s.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Hey Jamez, I'm not 100% on what your action is intended to accomplish?

EDIT: I'll process your action once you clarify a bit what you're doing.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 20, 2017

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
I was rushed for time. I assume Bo knows even less than I do about the nature of magic so he is doing something that is one part Frankensteinian cobbled together anima focusing ritual, one part meditation, and one part power of positive thinking.

Shot in the dark because I went through three drafts of something else. We can call it fluff/filler if you don't consider it action-worthy.

I can't be the only one that needs to pep talk themself to tackle big tasks, right? Right? :(

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
This evening's update is being postponed to tomorrow due to writer's block because it's like 90 degrees here and my roommates won't agree to turn on the AC.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Are they literal demons from the hell realms?

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
Really sorry about kind of forgetting about the game for a while there. I'd post right away, but it seems like Ingrid and Skadi should probably run into each other soon, and I'm unsure of how the timing of what Skadi is doing matches up with Ingrid, so I thought maybe we could figure it out OOC before I post.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
I figured if any timelines dont match up it was the Time Archon dicking around.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Sorry for the delay, will post right after work ~11 hours from this post.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

You missed one, Valhawk. :v:

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Rhjamiz posted:

You missed one, Valhawk. :v:

Edited in your bit.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Edited in Commie's part.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
I'll be out of town this weekend, so probably no update until next Wednesday.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Update delayed due to writer's block.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Valhawk posted:

Update delayed due to writer's block.

Is it me? Did I go too far afield?

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Update delayed due to me being really tired this evening.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
Sorry about disappearing; I've just had a lot of stuff happening in my life recently and I totally forgot about this. I'll try to catch up and post again as soon as I can.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Update delayed until the Sunday scheduled one. Both because I'm really tired from work today and drawing a creative blank, but also so I can have more time to not half-rear end the riot in Southport since it'll be a huge deal for the Southport PCs.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Nearly done with my update, but I need to go to bed now in order to not be a wreck at work. So updated delayed until I get home from work tomorrow.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Update delayed until Wednesday, as apparently everyone in Southport is going for a big climactic confrontation at the same place.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
After a lot of thought I've decided to close the game. It had a good run, and was definitely a learning experience for me, but I definitely have lost the energy to continue.

In hindsight I should've been more open about the advancement mechanic from prior to character creation. Also, I should have thrown in bigger risks up front to give you a chance to build fame.

Please leave whatever feedback you have here. I generally find it useful to look back on when I start to plan my next game, which will be God knows when.

Also, thanks to all my players, you've been top notch.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 18, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

It was a good game; a bit slow paced. My vision for advancement was probably not compatible with the mechanics of the game, though. Oh well.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I had fun. Magroth was an interesting blend of idealism and :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thanks for running it (even though I flaked out a couple times in the middle). It still managed to be the longest-lasting PbP game I've ever been in.

I am curious, though. I'm not sure exactly how much you had "planned" per se, but I am curious about anything you'd be willing to share about what might've happened had it continued.

• Locked thread