Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
A name- Bonur Ruknamal, though he finds humans refer to him as “Bo”

A Picture -

Description - The Youngest son of a minor Dwarven House Bo has dedicated the first third of his life to his own education. Anything in writing he could get his hands on from contacts with the Merchants to the South, old legends from storytellers far and wide. News from travelers. In the end, he decided the place to be was to go to the Merchant Republics. At home, he had no power and leverage. Perhaps, if he did well enough, there was a slim chance he could return home and take by wealth and cunning that which birth had dispossessed him.

Mortal Qualities -

Literacy +2 : Having been a fly on the wall at so many functions and taking to chatting up the scribes Bo knows several languages in writing and can speak them well enough to get his point across.

Confident +2 : A positive outlook can be an important thing, and people tend to follow someone who seems to know what they’re doing.

Business Acumen +2 : The House of Ruknamal has been doing progressively better the past two decades, making better use of its assets, its people, and its trade connections. Of course no one gives any credit for this to their youngest scion.

Inconsiderable Wealth +2 : Between a slight control of the family’s business in the Merchant lands and what he carries with him, Bo has a tiny amount of goods and money to swing around.

Drawbacks -

Stranger in a Strange Land -2 : Outside of his House’s holdings Bo tends to be outside his comfort zone as well. Whether the issue is cultural or due to his being a virtual nobody sometimes he just has a really hard time of things.

Altruistic -2 : When someone is in need, and Bo can use what he has to help them, he finds it difficult to resist doing so even if it might hurt his own interests here and now.

Starting Location - Southport - A more Cosmopolitan city with transfers of goods and information from all over the continent.

What do you want out of the game? Build a business, build an empire. God-Emperor, maybe? As long as I can be humorous and clever.

JamezBfod fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
He can also pass as a polyglot, though his pronunciation needs work.

The Minor House of Ruknamal has a handful of mines and a smattering of timber and other reserves. Their holdings are not especially great, but when well-managed they suffice to make Ruknamal one of the more prosperous Minor Houses. They tend to be fecund, leading to Bo's Dilemma. The vying between houses is at times rivaled only by the machinations within them. With so few titles to inherit and such a prodigy for a younger brother the current generation is all too eager to have him leave. The Elder generation was somewhat appalled by the notion of actually leaving the lands of their ancestors, but mostly understood that this was better than joining them early.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

quote:

Question: What sort of business has Bo come to Southport to run?

The understaffed and still-flagging House Ruknamal outpost by the docks. It is pretty much a clerk and whoever is on the ship's crew, but Bo believes that he can build it into something far more while the rest of his family and the other Houses are distracted by the Tsar's failing health. Whether it be by exporting some goods found(byproxy) in the republics, or resources that he can import fr his Houses' holdings he is determined to get a foothold in "the market".

Edit: And I imagine the clerk's first act is to jump on the ship and gtfo back to dwarfland, in keeping with the nobody and alone angle.

Edit2: Feeling better, and I know you would ask:

House Ruknamal

Crest: A coiled, serpentine dragon on an orange crest with a silver edge gilding.

Motto: Tellus et Verbum (Earth and Word)

While never wielding major political power, House Ruknamal has been known since its founding by the glorious ancestor Ruk as one who honors its commitments and whose mines are always producing. In the current political climate its leader Ruk IX is seeking to join in an alliance of minor houses to consolidate their power in the potentially bloody time to come. Dwarves have long lives, and longer histories, and many of the honored ancestors have fallen in inter-dynastic conflicts.

Notables:

Ruk I is storied to have slain a dragon
Known for having a surplus of daughters(many houses have maternal ties to Ruknamal)
No real guile or stomach for politics. Known for general inability to bluff.

JamezBfod fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 12, 2017

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
House Ruknamal

Crest: A coiled, serpentine dragon on an orange crest with a silver edge gilding.

Motto: Tellus et Verbum (Earth and Word)

While never wielding major political power, House Ruknamal has been known since its founding by the glorious ancestor Ruk as one who honors its commitments, whose forges are never idle, and whose mines are always producing. In the current political climate its leader Ruk IX is seeking to join in an alliance of minor houses to consolidate their power in hopes of helping smooth the peaceful transition of power after the Tsar dies. Failing that, the House Council might still prove useful in the potentially bloody time to come. Dwarves have long lives, and longer histories, and many of the honored ancestors have fallen in inter-dynastic conflicts. The smaller houses face even greater dangers during such times for even if they are sworn to the service of one of the Great Houses they still could be stripped of home and hearth.

They are considered moderates, and generally by the time House Ruknamal has accepted a new thing it is no longer taboo, but progressive. A saying of Ruk's applies here, "The way of the Honored Ancestors must make way for the needs of the Living Descendants."

Notables:

Ruk I is storied to have slain a dragon
Known for having a surplus of daughters(many houses have maternal ties to Ruknamal)
No real guile or stomach for politics. Known for general inability to bluff.

OOC I would have to say I'm figuring for the reputation of Ned Stark, but not anywhere near in line for Tsardom but savvy enough to not be Red Wedding'd

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

quote:

Bo Ruknamal - You've managed to sniff out a potentially lucrative trading opportunity in Southport, what is it?

Bo Ruknamal - Southport

Bo was having a hard time explaining the plan to the ship's captain, for several reasons. "Yes, realgar and orpiment. I know they're toxic! That is the entire point! The grain stores here and in Ceriston were overrun by rats last winter and they are desperate to ward them off by any means necessary."

The Captain huffed.

"The barrels will be sealed. Our miners know how to handle it. I have no fear for them. Handle the cargo carefully, take twice as long to get here if the sea gets choppy, just get here with it before the harvest and we will have enough grain to feed the whole House this winter on this deal alone."

The Captain said nothing, but stared at the sea. This was the eighth round trip this year, and it was a few moons to go.

"Hazard pay, then? If you follow through I'll let you and your boys have a barrel each of the House Beer I'm having brought in."

The Captain gave a slight smirk. The beer had been much improved by the ingredients this last-born had been bringing in from the South. But it was still taxing, he rubbed his arm thinking about how much rowing had been done.

Bo finally picked up on the reason for Captain and Crew's discontent. "And I'll put your crew up for the Harvest Festival this year - *if* everything goes as I expect it to."

The extra negotiation settled, Bo began to think on hiring on a second ship.

I'm starting in Southport, Merchant Republics. Ruknamal House Imports. Big red "R" on the sign.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Can I add double-secret Tsar bastard to my backstory?

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

I can see how that might be a bit much.

Love the pogs.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Am I the only one that isn't grimdark and bloodthirsty? Am I missing a theme here?

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Is it named Osito?

No you are the grimdarkiest. Your teddy bear is a terrorbear. I assume they exist in this world.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Hey my internet has been out or terribly unreliable for a week or so. Once I get Taxes and Toothaches taken care of I should be ready to go.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Now that I have conducted a business transaction in-game I was wondering under what context or circumstances I could make use of my temporary political information trait?

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
I was rushed for time. I assume Bo knows even less than I do about the nature of magic so he is doing something that is one part Frankensteinian cobbled together anima focusing ritual, one part meditation, and one part power of positive thinking.

Shot in the dark because I went through three drafts of something else. We can call it fluff/filler if you don't consider it action-worthy.

I can't be the only one that needs to pep talk themself to tackle big tasks, right? Right? :(

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Are they literal demons from the hell realms?

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
I figured if any timelines dont match up it was the Time Archon dicking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Valhawk posted:

Update delayed due to writer's block.

Is it me? Did I go too far afield?

• Locked thread