Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I see a lot of people on SA and other forums/chats having ongoing meltdowns over things they see on the internet. As some one who's been able to laugh at things like death threats and mean words on the internet I just don't understand the mind set of some one who gets emotional over words on the internet. Can some one explain it to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Aspergers

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ride The Gravitron posted:

I see a lot of people on SA and other forums/chats having ongoing meltdowns over things they see on the internet. As some one who's been able to laugh at things like death threats and mean words on the internet I just don't understand the mind set of some one who gets emotional over words on the internet. Can some one explain it to me?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=135876

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That's kind of what I mean. Some one links that in what I can only assume is some kind of "burn" attempt and I'm like meh but then some other people start getting furious and melting down. What goes through their mind when they do that?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
You'd be upset to if you had to read your lovely posts

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
op read QCS to see emotionally invested internet people

Caufman
May 7, 2007

That's kind of what I mean. Some one links that in what I can only assume is some kind of "burn" attempt and I'm like meh but then some other people start getting furious and melting down. What goes through their mind when they do that?

I'm not sure, but is this something you're curious about just on the Internet, or outside of this do you also feel like you can be more emotionally removed than other people you see?

Also it's pretty neat to be able to brush off a credible death threats if you're going to be a civil rights activist, but less commendable if you're just planning on being a gangster or a pharmaceutical CEO or something like that.

My two cents about why emotional investment, even over-investment, happens on the internet comes from at least two factor:

1) Despite the layers and distances of the Internet, we're still interacting with actual people, so attachments will happen, and folks will care about how they appear to others.
2) The distance and layers may actually provide a perceived safer place to "meltdown".

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

You spent 10 bux on a Doug avatar.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Having signed up for SA in the context of it being a comedy forum, it can seem ridiculous when people discuss politics seriously here and get upset about that, but SA has been around since, I think 1999, and the site is different things to different people.

There has been a couple of Ask/Tell threads about why people signed up for the forums, and what they like about them, and although it seems strange in the context of an on-line comedy forum, a lot of people have enjoyed more serious resources and support-networks that has developed on SA over the years. One of the things that people mention in previous topics about how they've used and enjoyed SA as a resource, is that a lot of people have managed to lose a whole lot of weight and live healthier with help from the fitness and cooking forums, as an example. That is a genuinely worthwhile and meaningful use of the forums, I think. My point being, that simply because something takes place on-line, it doesn't mean that it can be something that is a genuinely meaningful resource.

Developing an emotional attachment isn't just limited to the participation of more serious stuff like that, though. I'm not really into on-line gaming myself, but I don't think it is hard to imagine why people who have played video games with each others, with voice-communication, for literally years, develops an emotional connection to the people they interact with, and as an extension of that, the on-line community.

There also isn't necessarily a very clear divide between on-line and off-line stuff, as there can easily be cross-over.

There is definitely such a thing as over-reacting and being too emotionally invested in online bs, but the idea that any kind of emotional investment is an over-reaction is weird, too, imo.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

quote:

I had sex with a woman who wasn't my wife. She was my work wife when we worked together but we were both dating. She's recently single and she hit me up for a night of loving. I feel terrible about it because I really do love my wife, but it was an opportunity I couldn't pass up.
gently caress you

#26.1

quote:

This is 26 #1 (Banging his work wife) Are you saying gently caress you because I did something you want to do or because I cheated? Either answer is respectable because I do kind of feel like a piece of poo poo about it.
gently caress you

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Caufman posted:

2) The distance and layers may actually provide a perceived safer place to "meltdown".

This is actually an interesting concept. I know a lot of people tend to see the anonymity of the internet as permission to act like they wouldn't in real life. I mean that's why we see trolls being trolls. I never thought to compare that to meltdowns since I feel that the assholness is a deliberate action while the meltdown is uncontrolled. Are meltdowns actually deliberate then?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I get upset about stuff online because I get upset easily about things that happen in the real world. I'm insecure and probably a little narcissistic, so anything that might look negative gets to me easily. I don't have meltdowns though, I just slink off. Anyway, that's my being a little bitch story.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

This is actually an interesting concept. I know a lot of people tend to see the anonymity of the internet as permission to act like they wouldn't in real life. I mean that's why we see trolls being trolls. I never thought to compare that to meltdowns since I feel that the assholness is a deliberate action while the meltdown is uncontrolled. Are meltdowns actually deliberate then?

I myself would not go that far, mostly because to say something was done deliberately is to suggest motive, and 'meltdowns' are probably so idiosyncratic between the contexts and participants that it would be wrong to generalize on motives.

I was thinking more along the context of a flight-or-fight-(plus posture-or-submit) response, which I would not say is completely controlled.

But you're onto something even more important, which is that once a person has an awareness that they have real choices in reacting, they can no longer go back to believing they do not.

Grevling posted:

I get upset about stuff online because I get upset easily about things that happen in the real world. I'm insecure and probably a little narcissistic, so anything that might look negative gets to me easily. I don't have meltdowns though, I just slink off. Anyway, that's my being a little bitch story.

Good share, fellow little bitch. It's takes self-awareness to recognize even that much in yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
They're mentally ill

• Locked thread