Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Ah, the standard tankie deflection tactic of "B-but these other people did bad things!" How does that make giving the UN more military power a good idea?

not everyone critical of US military power is a loving tankie you idiot.

the UN does good work and proper multi-lateral involvement in situations that need it would be the best approach.

there have been some notable instances where command and control, or rules of engagement failed to prevent bad things from happening.

as for child rape and rape. I think this is a fundamental problem with militaries in general, you train people to kill. they kill people, they also rape people. this has been true of war and of soldiers since the dawn of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

JFairfax posted:

not everyone critical of US military power is a loving tankie you idiot.

the UN does good work and proper multi-lateral involvement in situations that need it would be the best approach.

there have been some notable instances where command and control, or rules of engagement failed to prevent bad things from happening.

as for child rape and rape. I think this is a fundamental problem with militaries in general, you train people to kill. they kill people, they also rape people. this has been true of war and of soldiers since the dawn of time.

when are boys start throwing child rape parties in afghanistan they're AMERICAN child rape parties, much better than UN child rape parties

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

BattleMoose posted:

The middle east aside, the US maintains military assets in Europe, South Korea and in the west Pacific and Japan. These assets are to temper any aggressive moves or ambitions from Putin, North Korea and China. Its a good thing that there are military assets in these places to help keep the peace and limit expansion/aggression.

Europe in general has much more to lose from Russian shenanigans than the US does yet the US contributes much more of is GDP to military spending. I think its a reasonable position to take to suggest that Europe generally becomes more able to militarily defend itself. If I was in control of the US military, I would probably bring most of those assets back home and funnel that saved money into education and wish Europe the best of luck!

The US military presence in Europe, by allowing our allies to field minimal military assets while still presenting a credible opposition to Russia, might make peace and cooperation in Europe easier. A Germany that needs to have an independent military capable of defending itself from Russia needs a pretty hefty force. That force, even if defensive in nature, is going to be strong enough to invade Germany's neighbors. So France and Holland and Austria all start worrying about a possible threat from Germany if the alliance falls apart, and beef up their militaries too, and the process snowballs.

JFairfax posted:

there may well be instances where certain countries are happy to have US presence, but they are outweighed massively by the huge wars the US wages from time to time. (perpetually)

Sometimes waging those wars is a good thing.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

JeffersonClay posted:

So France and Holland and Austria all start worrying about a possible threat from Germany if the alliance falls apart, and beef up their militaries too, and the process snowballs.

The chances of all of these countries having pro-Moscow, anti-Atlanticist governments by 2020 is fair- maybe what will keep the peace among the European nouvelle droite is their shared hate for that distant liberal rat hole (or "degenerate homostate," or "headquarters of world Jewry-" they may disagree on terms).

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
Also, the UN already has a standing army- it's called the IAEA. Here it is on maneuvers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOnYs2IkE60&t=9396s

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

JeffersonClay posted:

The US military presence in Europe, by allowing our allies to field minimal military assets while still presenting a credible opposition to Russia, might make peace and cooperation in Europe easier. A Germany that needs to have an independent military capable of defending itself from Russia needs a pretty hefty force. That force, even if defensive in nature, is going to be strong enough to invade Germany's neighbors. So France and Holland and Austria all start worrying about a possible threat from Germany if the alliance falls apart, and beef up their militaries too, and the process snowballs.

Great. Make them pull their own weight. I'm tired of paying for them. How they balance their budgets to do it is their problem.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

DeusExMachinima posted:

Great. Make them pull their own weight. I'm tired of paying for them. How they balance their budgets to do it is their problem.

My point is you're not paying their share you're paying for peace in Europe. If they want to send us checks that's great but it's worth it even if they don't.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

My point is you're not paying their share you're paying for peace in Europe.

Peace in Europe is secured by their democracies. The idea that France, UK, Germany would go to war with each other for any reason in this day and age is just ludicrous. The governments don't want to, the people wouldn't stand for it and there is nothing to gain from it either.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Meanwhile Poland is forming paramilitary youth organisations and who the gently caress even knows what's going on in Hungary anymore.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

blowfish posted:

IMO we should give the UN a standing army with carriers and other force projection toys, and America should just have a token military for local defence like most other countries .

Of course, given that the UN mainly exists to provide an arena for superpowers to swing their dicks in without immediately starting WW3 rather than with enforcement authority of its own (against any country with more than a glorified goon squad in Toyotas and/or early Soviet leftover tanks), that won't happen.

What's this we poo poo? You want aircraft carriers build your own.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

JFairfax posted:

come on let's not act like the US doesn't have child and adult raping incompetent murderers.

global research is based out of Canada, I know v. little about it. have you got anything that shows it's kremlin propoganda?

let's not get too hung up on that particular article, you can argue about some bits, but the general point is true, there are huge amounts of deaths and countries destroyed by American foreign policy.

there may well be instances where certain countries are happy to have US presence, but they are outweighed massively by the huge wars the US wages from time to time. (perpetually)

Actually, consensus is that the American led postwar era has been the least violent and most peaceful in history.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It's probably for the best that Europeans don't contribute much to their own defense considering the last time they were allowed to have armies they set a new world standard for barbarity.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Too bad russia will never be part of the EU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Europe needs to pony up for actual armies so I get to watch either a) their taxes take up over 50% of their GDP or b) their snooty-rear end healthcare system de facto subsidized by me get raided. I can go either way on it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

The UN's existing peacekeeping forces have generally been incompetent at best and horrific bands of child rapists at the worst. And you want to hand them more power?

yes of course

then they will finally be able to rely on troops other than what amounts to penal battallions full of people so lovely even third world countries don't want them on their own streets

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

Europe needs to pony up for actual armies so I get to watch either a) their taxes take up over 50% of their GDP or b) their snooty-rear end healthcare system de facto subsidized by me get raided. I can go either way on it.

We thank you* for your service.

*we don't.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

LeoMarr posted:

Too bad russia will never be part of the EU

its not european.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

hakimashou posted:

its not european.

Oh good, I was hoping someone would start yelling about Asiatic Bolshevism.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

We thank you* for your service.

*we don't.

Nor should you. If Russia invaded your Pollyanna state tomorrow, I wouldn't sign up to defend poo poo until everyone in the U.N. agreed to shell out for their own logistical support network for their child prostitutingpeacekeeping ops instead of bumming off ours'.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's real refreshing to hear the whole "the UN is for pedophiles" deal again. It's like I've traveled back in time to 2005.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Brainiac Five posted:

Oh good, I was hoping someone would start yelling about Asiatic Bolshevism.

Culturally I think they belong with sub-Saharan Africa. Strongman government, virulent homophobia, rampant HIV/AIDS, terrible public health etc.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Brainiac Five posted:

It's real refreshing to hear the whole "the UN is for pedophiles" deal again. It's like I've traveled back in time to 2005.
I know right? Some of them are human traffickers.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

DeusExMachinima posted:

Are you actually mad your country still can't figure out nationalised health care?

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

DeusExMachinima posted:

As Europe we should be perfectly capable of countering any force bar the US in our region for 2% of gdp.

Iirc the Netherlands spent 4% of gdp during the cold war and we had universal healthcare back then as well.

Of course it could be done more efficiently by doing away with all the duplication currently going on. But that would also mean giving up sovereignty and the last bastions of protectionism.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

I don't know if the EU is going to really merge into one superstate, if that's what you mean. Wouldn't it be correct to identify the EU as a confederation? Seems like any member can leave if they really want (Brexit) whereas the U.S. obviously takes a dim view of its states trying the same.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Are you actually mad your country still can't figure out nationalised health care?

Medicaid is one thing but I'm actually not in favor of paying some middle-class dude's regular doctor bill so he can go on an extra cruise or whatever, so nah ya'll can keep that one. More like, if I'm gonna be mad, it'll be because I can't go on an extra cruise because of my taxes going into the NATO welfare train.

Brainiac Five posted:

No no that's the blue helmets specifically. The U.N. as a whole would be more like "free PR for dictators and busybodies."

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I thought NATO was the local auxilia for the US military? Like, that's why all the equipment is standardized and they do all the training together, so it's easier to link up with US forces.
It's like with the UN. They're both bargain priced for what we get out of them.

You'd have to be an idiot to drop out of either one, it's like killing the goose that lays golden eggs cause it pooped on your lawn.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

In the classic American conception of auxiliaries with the Minutemen, they were expected to buy their own guns, ammo, and train on their own to hit a certain level of competency. An army that has to have it and its supply train largely paid for by Americans or flown everywhere by the USAF or leapfrogged from one US base to another doesn't count by that definition. But feel free to go back through my posts and find out where I suggested *withdrawing* from NATO. I believe my exact words were "pull your own weight" and "get the popcorn."

Just think, if we're getting a great deal now, we'll get an even better deal when we have to pay for even less!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Good grief, why would you ever want them to think they could ever be anything other than completely dependent on us? We got a good thing going now, why gently caress it up? We don't want them to pull their weight.

No, you want to make a good change to our policy? Start handing out kit - we got while boneyards full of tanks we're not using, give them away. And when they need spare parts, where do they come calling? America :911:

• Locked thread