Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

OwlFancier posted:

If you have the technology to make off-the-shelf guided missiles you have the technology to make computer-targetted laser anti-missile systems and put them on every rooftop.

Also the computer-guided cannonball is covered in mirrors

Main Paineframe posted:

Having a missile that can change targets in mid-air isn't all that hard - the technology's been around for decades. The hard part is teaching the missile to identify one particular human being without human intervention of some sort and hit that person rather than any of the other people around them - even top-of-the-line military hardware can't do that, and you certainly can't just download that off the internet.

Facial recognition is now hailed as a mostly solved problem. That's only recently. Computer vision software is now taking off after decades of stagnancy and we don't know how far it will be in a decade or so. Rooms can already be reconstructed from a single video. Finding the correct target using 20-years-future technology is going to be easy and the eventually free software that does it is exactly what I'm anticipating. Otherwise I think this is an example of linear extrapolation of how fast the software is improving that's coloring our expectations, whereas invention has been really non-linear and exponential for the last century.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OwlFancier posted:

I somehow doubt that most western nations are equipped for or inclined towards employing counter-battery fire in their cities.

If people start dropping mortars on politicians, they'd do it in a second, and be absolutely justified in doing so. The reason people don't do it is it would work well exactly once, and after that i would be your rear end too at a minimum.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Blockade posted:

For a pentest thing I did for work once, a coworker and i taped a raspberry pi with 2 wifi nics and a data-sim (GSM) nic to a quadcopter, landed it on the roof of a hospital, intercepted a few handshakes from a wireless drug pump, cracked the psk in a few minutes using a relatively low-spec cluster, and were able to tell the drug pump to administer alternate dosages, then flew the quadcopter back.

The conclusion is you can definitely murder people that way, and that the wireless drug pump system wasnt fit for use at the company I was working for. The drug pump system in question is widely used in the US and Canada.

I'm really surprised nobody has been directly, intentionally murdered as a result of a hack against a medical device yet.

edit: I should say, the total cost of all equipment involved was maybe 2000 USD.

I work at the FBI and I am investigating a case where a hospital patient's drug pump was hacked and made to deliver the wrong amounts of drug, thus causing the patient's death. Your are hereby advised to go home and wait there, a federal agent is already on his way to have a chat with you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

rkajdi posted:

If people start dropping mortars on politicians, they'd do it in a second, and be absolutely justified in doing so. The reason people don't do it is it would work well exactly once, and after that i would be your rear end too at a minimum.

I'm not... enormously sure that a government response to an assassination attempt being to indiscriminately fire artillery into urban areas would really be a solution to the problem of people trying to assassinate government officials.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blockade posted:

For a pentest thing I did for work once, a coworker and i taped a raspberry pi with 2 wifi nics and a data-sim (GSM) nic to a quadcopter, landed it on the roof of a hospital, intercepted a few handshakes from a wireless drug pump, cracked the psk in a few minutes using a relatively low-spec cluster, and were able to tell the drug pump to administer alternate dosages, then flew the quadcopter back.

The conclusion is you can definitely murder people that way, and that the wireless drug pump system wasnt fit for use at the company I was working for. The drug pump system in question is widely used in the US and Canada.

I'm really surprised nobody has been directly, intentionally murdered as a result of a hack against a medical device yet.

I imagine part of it is that the sort of wealthy/powerful individuals who people would want to assassinate aren't usually in the hospital with wireless drug pumps hooked up to them (and I'm not even sure how feasible it is to get information on how an individual is being treated and which drug pump is theirs?)

The other part is that the sort of people with enough knowledge to pull this sort of thing off, even if it's relatively simple if you have the requisite skill-set, are probably not a significant portion of people willing to commit such a crime in the first place.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I constructed a robot out of raspberry pies that can take control of your car, so watch out for that

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I work at the FBI and I am investigating a case where a hospital patient's drug pump was hacked and made to deliver the wrong amounts of drug, thus causing the patient's death. Your are hereby advised to go home and wait there, a federal agent is already on his way to have a chat with you.

Can we just do a teleconference? I'm not in a pants wearing kind of mood right now (if they're cool with me being pantsless and a bit drunk the whole time thats fine too, but probably not because iirc fbi are 90% underpaid mormons).

To contribute to the thread, our elderly are becoming increasingly reliant on various medical gadgets such as pacemakers, insulin pumps, Dick Cheney's robo-heart, that are increasingly being networked in some way. Many of the companies producing these devices consider security a secondary concern and probably won't do anything about that until the FDA really starts punishing people for not securing their products.

The current administration has a lot of funny ideas about government regulations and spending on investigations though.

Ytlaya posted:

I imagine part of it is that the sort of wealthy/powerful individuals who people would want to assassinate aren't usually in the hospital with wireless drug pumps hooked up to them (and I'm not even sure how feasible it is to get information on how an individual is being treated and which drug pump is theirs?)

The other part is that the sort of people with enough knowledge to pull this sort of thing off, even if it's relatively simple if you have the requisite skill-set, are probably not a significant portion of people willing to commit such a crime in the first place.

To the first point, no probably not, though it is feasible to identify which pumps go to which patient in my case, the pumps handled dicom files which contained the patient name. To the second point, 'Anonymous' recently ddos'ed a partner hospital over some social issue involving a patient and disrupted services. Not as sophisticated as carrying out a wireless attack like that, but there are knowledgeable people out there who are unhinged enough to try things like that.

Blockade fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 6, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Windfall posted:

Also the computer-guided cannonball is covered in mirrors

Facial recognition is now hailed as a mostly solved problem. Computer vision software is now taking off after decades of stagnancy and we don't know how far it will be in a decade or so. Rooms can already be reconstructed from a single video. Finding the correct target using 20-years-future technology is going to be easy and the eventually free software that does it is exactly what I'm anticipating. Otherwise I think this is an example of linear extrapolation of how fast the software is improving that's coloring our expectations, whereas invention has been really non-linear and exponential for the last century.

Try finding software that'll do facial recognition on the top of someone's head from five hundred feet in the air using a smartphone-quality camera while moving at terminal velocity on a ballistic trajectory, and then tell me how much of a "solved problem" it is. Better hurry - at that height, your missile is probably less than a second from impact! Let's hope your target is facing the direction the missile came from, or else you're going to find it mighty hard to find their face.

It's commonly asserted by tech missionaries that technological progress has now become exponential and that such exponential growth will continue forever and all physical limitations are merely temporary obstacles, but that's quite a misconception. The speed of invention hasn't increased, it's just that we happened to invent some incredibly versatile basic technologies and materials, and are still exploring the uses and limitations of those technologies, while still working on incremental improvements that continue to broaden the field of potential uses, and also bringing back inventions that had been previously theorized but whose implementation was handicapped by the technology and resources available at the time. Sooner or later, we'll start to bump up against fundamental limitations of the underlying technologies, run out of low-hanging fruit to harvest, or experience changes in resource availability that narrow the field of what's practical, and as a result the pace of inventions will slow.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Try finding software that'll do facial recognition on the top of someone's head from five hundred feet in the air using a smartphone-quality camera while moving at terminal velocity on a ballistic trajectory, and then tell me how much of a "solved problem" it is. Better hurry - at that height, your missile is probably less than a second from impact! Let's hope your target is facing the direction the missile came from, or else you're going to find it mighty hard to find their face.

You could just target their phone like the US military already does. Might need some help from the carrier, or at least a nearby femtocell for that though.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
There's a similar situation already - Israel. The politicians there live next to a non-negligible number of very heavily armed people who really want them dead. If they're not being assassinated on a regular basis, what is it about the future-tech scenario that makes things different?

I mean, the other question to ask is that what in this scenario makes it more likely for a politician to be assassinated than for the use of targeted assassinations to spread back the the US? Hail Hydra

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Main Paineframe posted:

Dude... The flying projectile doesn't exist in a vacuum, you're constantly sending guidance data from the outside. You use your other cameras. The rest of your camera network. The ones you've easily littered at the scene tracking the flow of people in real time and triangulate their position from that. You send that remote data across the network to guide your target, you don't try to sense from the sky. Networked security cameras already get littered around and studied for crowd experiments at my own school. By the way no terminal velocity either, the machine's job is to slow down and coast into place using its own sensors to help, while ejecting material.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Windfall posted:

Dude... The flying projectile doesn't exist in a vacuum, you're constantly sending guidance data from the outside. You use your other cameras. The rest of your camera network. The ones you've easily littered at the scene tracking the flow of people in real time and triangulate their position from that. You send that remote data across the network to guide your target, you don't try to sense from the sky. Networked security cameras already get littered around and studied for crowd experiments at my own school. By the way no terminal velocity either, the machine's job is to slow down and coast into place using its own sensors to help, while ejecting material.

If you have cameras already in place with sufficient numbers, view, image quality, and geographic dispersion to precisely pinpoint the target's location without relying on data from the projectile itself, then you don't need a guided munition in the first place - all you need is a little math. Hitting a precise, known location you don't have direct line-of-sight to has been a solved problem for over a hundred years. It feels like you're trying to come up with overcomplicated Rube Goldberg assassination methods solely to justify needing technology for them, despite the fact that they could be done far more simply without the roundabout extra bits tacked on solely as an excuse to add technology for the sake of technology.

Indigofreak
Jul 30, 2013

:siren:BAD POSTER ALERT!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
My mythical death machine has no counter! It's coming soon! Everyone who holds any amount of power will die...

No. You created a scenario out of thin air. You expect that the ruling class will continue on like they always have. Even if we are able to start 3D printing rocket launchers and AI driven killing machine robots, the ruling class will have a counter. You forget that they are the ones that originally created them in the first place. You only think you are powerful because you have a free model created 2 years ago that they allowed you to have. With its flaws all completely fleshed out. It will fail to their better version, or maybe not even a better version but a completely different tech that you can only dream of.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Blockade posted:

Why would the drug dispensing thing not have some sort of secondary authentication to login and control it? Just getting on the same wireless so you can talk to it is trivial.

Such devices should also presumably have built in limits to prevent fatal dosing, and any suspicious out of normal range changes causing an alert to staff and requiring higher level approval.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Main Paineframe posted:

Someday man will invent a technology where people look at missles flying into crowds

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Butcher posted:

Why would the drug dispensing thing not have some sort of secondary authentication to login and control it? Just getting on the same wireless so you can talk to it is trivial.

Such devices should also presumably have built in limits to prevent fatal dosing, and any suspicious out of normal range changes causing an alert to staff and requiring higher level approval.

The medical device industry doesn't really bother with security, hospitals don't particularly care, doctors like that they don't have to deal with annoying passwords and restrictions, and the government doesn't force them. It's a problem in most embedded devices. Nobody really cares about security, and no one requires it, so no one implements it. It's probably going to stay like this until there's a high-profile case of people exploiting insecure devices to commit mass-murder. Fortunately, the fact that it hasn't happened yet despite the incredible vulnerability of most embedded devices suggests that there aren't too many people interested in actually doing it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Over the internet stuff would be different but I think a big part of it is that once you have physical access to medical equipment you already have the keys to the kingdom and the digital part is pretty irrelevant. Like yeah, doing it through a wall with a helicopter adds a little bit of an additional vulnerability that didn't exist before but I think the general idea is that if you can physically get near medical equipment you can probably gently caress it up with or without computers.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Indigofreak posted:

My mythical death machine has no counter! It's coming soon! Everyone who holds any amount of power will die...

No. You created a scenario out of thin air. You expect that the ruling class will continue on like they always have. Even if we are able to start 3D printing rocket launchers and AI driven killing machine robots, the ruling class will have a counter. You forget that they are the ones that originally created them in the first place. You only think you are powerful because you have a free model created 2 years ago that they allowed you to have. With its flaws all completely fleshed out. It will fail to their better version, or maybe not even a better version but a completely different tech that you can only dream of.
the ruling class doesn't create poo poo, comrade

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kilroy posted:

They create misery and golf courses.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Kilroy posted:

Bingo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
"Normal" by Warren Ellis is a great book on this topic and also where the OP needs to go.

quote:

Some people call it "abyss gaze." Gaze into the abyss all day and the abyss will gaze into you.
There are two types of people who think professionally about the future: foresight strategists are civil futurists who think about geo-engineering and smart cities and ways to evade Our Coming Doom; strategic forecasters are spook futurists, who think about geopolitical upheaval and drone warfare and ways to prepare clients for Our Coming Doom. The former are paid by nonprofits and charities, the latter by global security groups and corporate think tanks.

For both types, if you're good at it, and you spend your days and nights doing it, then it's something you can't do for long. Depression sets in. Mental illness festers. And if the "abyss gaze" takes hold there's only one place to recover: Normal Head, in the wilds of Oregon, within the secure perimeter of an experimental forest.

• Locked thread