Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Jimmy Carter posted:

Brother let me introduce you to Fastmail Dot FM

it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

whomupclicklike posted:

As if I can get my department to purchase it for me.

what kind of poor person o365 subscription do you have, the latest office apps are included in the good ones

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

mishaq posted:

what kind of poor person o365 subscription do you have, the latest office apps are included in the good ones

I didn't look closely enough and it turns out that all of our staff has the new apps available to them.
On the other hand, I think switching the email clients will cause grumbles in my office.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

whomupclicklike posted:

I didn't look closely enough and it turns out that all of our staff has the new apps available to them.
On the other hand, I think switching the email clients will cause grumbles in my office.

outlook 2011 is terrible, go to 2016

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

a large portion of my life is spent helping people who are shoehorning email into businesses processes where it doesn't belong. occasionally I just want to die.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

I liked eudora

literally 20 years ago

im glad i was not a computer toucher during the pop/imap transition

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Microsoft should add html5 push notifications to office 365 webmail

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qirex posted:

I liked eudora

literally 20 years ago

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

Lowtax should add html5 push notifications to something awful dot com.

:whoa:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

:yeah:

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

mishaq posted:

outlook 2011 is terrible, go to 2016

But I like 2011

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

graph posted:

im glad i was not a computer toucher during the pop/imap transition

I was a computer toucher during a consolidation of email services. . . we ran a mixed pop/imap server, and we moving to an exchange server.

I had a user on windows that used eudora.

Literally had to borrow another users Mac, buy a specific program, to move his eudora boxes to the exchange server.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

whomupclicklike posted:

But I like 2011

youre wrong

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
someone itt mentioned Spark for Mac and it seems real nice so far.

that's my email story of 2017

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

Shaggar posted:

microsoft would have to add push notification support to internet explorer first

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its in edge

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

thunderbird currently churning along at 2GB of memory

been thinkin about using a commandline one, but i doubt it'd change anything for the vast amount of email alerts and bullshit i receive and filter

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Share Bear posted:

been thinkin about using a commandline one, but i doubt it'd change anything for the vast amount of email alerts and bullshit i receive and filter

"been thinking about using something that's totally useless for its intended purposes"

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Last Chance posted:

"been thinking about using something that's totally useless for its intended purposes"

you never used pine or mutt? they work ok, generally

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

Shaggar posted:

its in edge

norp

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/platform/catalog/?q=specName%3Apush-api

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Share Bear posted:

you never used pine or mutt? they work ok, generally

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

that's not up to date cause it is.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh I'm talking about the notifications api

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/platform/catalog/?q=specName%3Anotifications

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Granbar posted:

someone itt mentioned Spark for Mac and it seems real nice so far.

that's my email story of 2017

it me

yeah it's v. nice, i have two work email addresses and the smart inbox feature is good as heck

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i use thunderbird with my gmail account at home. my workplace uses outlook with exchange. my needs are fully suited.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
if your email sucks, you must be using it wrong, or maybe your provider is a piece of poo poo. i'm sorry about about your lots

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

gmail web mail is actually pretty loving awful and both outlook.com and 365 webmail are way better.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Share Bear posted:

thunderbird currently churning along at 2GB of memory

gnus + mbsync

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
i finally decided to write my own email app in electron that stores everything in json flat files and smushes them into a local unprotected mongodb to make them searchable and searches using unsanitized queries and also downloads all linked assets automatically without prompt or warning and oh yeah it doesn't support ssl, tsl, or anything besides plaintext and also the mongodb with all my emails is on a public port that doesnt require authentication by default

it absorbs about 6GB RAM per message and automatically reboots my computer every 15-20 minutes

eh... might switch back to outlook. let's see how this plays out

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DaTroof posted:

i finally decided to write my own email app in electron that stores everything in json flat files and smushes them into a local unprotected mongodb to make them searchable and searches using unsanitized queries and also downloads all linked assets automatically without prompt or warning and oh yeah it doesn't support ssl, tsl, or anything besides plaintext and also the mongodb with all my emails is on a public port that doesnt require authentication by default

it absorbs about 6GB RAM per message and automatically reboots my computer every 15-20 minutes

loving Smooth

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
oh yeah forgot to mention it's impossible to mark messages as read. figured i'd save that feature for the star trek version

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
sparrow was the best email client ever

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i was on eudora from 1998 until 2005 or so, then went to mail.app. six months ago mail.app started crashing as soon as I clicked on anything in a window (some undefined variable that i sent apple some hate mail about) so now I'm on thunderbird, which is kinda lovely but runs my mailbox like i want it so i'll probably stick with it for a while. thanks for reading.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

DaTroof posted:

cool

burning swine
May 26, 2004

outlook 2016 status: accidentally pressed F1 and was transported back in time to IE 5

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

outlook 2016 status: accidentally pressed F1 and was transported back in time to IE 5

loving Smooth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

whomupclicklike posted:

But I like 2011

Finally installed 2016 because 2011 broke after updating to Sierra. It took 3 hours to import all my old mail, but the new application looks nice. I can't really tell the difference functionally though.

• Locked thread