Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Echo Chamber posted:

24 Season 6 from memory (after the first four decent episodes):

Jack gets a lead where he learns his brother and dad might be connected to terrorists. Graem is retconned into being Jack's brother and also he has a wife and son. Dad is James Cromwell. Jack tortures Graem and Graem admits he was connected to Logan's conspiracy. James Cromwell then kills Graem when nobody is looking. Daddy Bauer then leads Jack to Logan and escapes. Logan leads Jack to the Russian Consulate. Jack cuts off the finger of the consul. Logan goes to Martha because she has a back channel to Mrs. Suvarov. Aaron Pierce appears for a moment. Logan gets stabbed by Martha. They learn from the consulate where Demitri Gredenko is. Gredenko sort of leads them to Abu Fayed. Gredenko has Fayed chop his arm off so they can both escape but then they turn on each other. Gredenko dies. Jack gets into a fight with Fayed and hangs him.

Meanwhile, Wayne Palmer reluctantly works with Dr. Bashir. Nothing really happens from the plot with Wayne's sister. A conspiracy is hatched to kill Palmer and Dr. Bashir. Bashir dies in the explosion. Powers Boothe whitewashes the story to make it look like Bashir tried to kill Palmer. Wayne sort of recovers from his injuries to stop Powers Boothe from starting World War III. Powers Booth tries to invoke the 25th. The vote is deadlocked because Karen Hayes sort of resigned but didn't. (Even though the National Security Advisor isn't a cabinet position...) Tom Lennox blackmails Powers Booth. Then Wayne launches a nuke, but it was all a bluff. Palmer has a press conference and collapses. Powers Boothe becomes acting president for real this time. And he does't want to start World War III anymore. Despite blackmailing him, Tom Lennox somehow becomes Powers Boothe's most trusted advisor.

Audrey is revealed to be dead. Cheng Zhi calls Jack and tells him Audrey is alive. Cheng Zhi is working with Zefram Cochrane who wants his grandson. A bunch of Chinese guys shoot their way into CTU to kidnap Josh. Milo gets shot in the loving face and it's amazing. Jack fights them off. Somehow Jack saves Audrey; I forgot how, but it's clear Audrey's mind got busted. Doyle's eyes explode. This all some how leads them to a set piece on an oil rig where World War III is averted. Jack saves his nephew. James Cromwell dies. Bill Buchanan captures Cheng Zhi. Powers Booth pardons Bill Buchanan and Karen Hayes for something; I forgot what. Jack goes to James Heller and whines a lot.

drat son.

Where do people fall about season 7? Cause I adored it, all of it. Including the absolute bananas storming of the White House.

Season 8 is all over the place too, with a terrible first half of the season stalling for time and some truly awful subplots. The back half where they basically make Jack Bauer the villain is great TV though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Narcissus1916 posted:

drat son.

Where do people fall about season 7? Cause I adored it, all of it. Including the absolute bananas storming of the White House.

Season 8 is all over the place too, with a terrible first half of the season stalling for time and some truly awful subplots. The back half where they basically make Jack Bauer the villain is great TV though.
The TVIV thread loved Season 7.

I liked season 8. The TVIV thread mostly didn't like Season 8, until Jack killed Starbuck. Then they loving loved everything that happened after that.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

drat son.

Season 7 was great up until Jon Voight died and we got Evil Tony (for real this time) and the bad guy who was apparently behind everything in day 5 despite never being mentioned or seen before. The white house attack was incredibly stupid and ridiculous in the best possible way though.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I liked Season 7, liked some parts of 8, and never saw LAD.

6 was the worst.

Echo Chamber posted:

Aaron Pierce appears for a moment.

Ah man, he was the best. Nothing will ever top his scenes in Season 5.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't care how bad it got, I liked every season of 24, even season 6 despite it being like, super terrible. Still not down on the new series yet, season 1 of the original was pretty mellow compared to where the show ended up.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I saw it all. Binged through it, including the movie. I didn't get into it until after the 9th season. Hell, that movie. Anyway, comparing this season to how it's been, I don't find it that bad in comparison other than the differences between the current protagonist and Jack Bauer. This is the first time I had to wait a week between episodes.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I don't care how bad it got, I liked every season of 24, even season 6 despite it being like, super terrible. Still not down on the new series yet, season 1 of the original was pretty mellow compared to where the show ended up.

Season 1 of 24 aired almost 16 years ago. Comparing the first season to the current one - I think we've been familiarized with its content and perhaps even its format in certain aspects over the years more than we might think, even if you never originally saw the show. It's not really "new" per say in said aspects. I guess we'll see how it goes and if they can maintain their current viewers.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
For all of Season 6's faults it gave us:

Jack vampiring a guy.
Jack acing Black Jack.
Nuke going off in LA.
Jack kneecapping his sister in-law.
Audrey in a role that the actress could actually pull off.
"drat, Jack."

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
You're confusing Henderson's wife with Graem's. Jack shot Robocop's wife in season 5.

Season 5 was good.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Day 8 gave us Logan screaming "It's Jack Bauer! Jack Bauer!" and making GBS threads himself as Jack turns into Jason Vorhees. So that's always a point in its favour.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Season 6 had Jack Bauer doing Jack Bauer things, which by definition makes it superior to Legacy.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Echo Chamber posted:

You're confusing Henderson's wife with Graem's. Jack shot Robocop's wife in season 5.

Season 5 was good.

And it was above the knee.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Season 7 and 8 were good because they had Renee and slowly turned her into female Jack.

Season 8 was bad because they killed Renee.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Echo Chamber posted:

Season 5 was good.

Oh that's right, Jack just straight interrogated Graem by injecting him with drugs.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Season 7 and 8 were good because they had Renee and slowly turned her into female Jack.

Season 8 was bad because they killed Renee.

God Renee was so awesome. I feel bad for her getting fridged but it lead to my avatar so I can't complain too much.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Renee really was awesome. I'm pretty sure they gave her a silent clock when Jack "shot" her and buried her alive and that's still one of my favorite scenes in the series.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 22, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

That reminds me that Day 6 also had the worst use of the silent clock as well.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I thought the end of season 8 was a good way of ending Jack's storyline.

Again, I never saw Live Another Day so I don't know how they hosed it up.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I thought the end of season 8 was a good way of ending Jack's storyline.

Again, I never saw Live Another Day so I don't know how they hosed it up.

They hosed it up be redoing the season 5 ending but with Russians.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
And turning Chloe into Lisbeth Salander.

And having Yorkshire 20 minutes' drive from Central London.

Apart from that, though, it was pretty decent!

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 22, 2017

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They hosed it up be redoing the season 5 ending but with Russians.

Oh poo poo, now it makes sense that Legacy is getting compared to Season 6.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Was there ever talk of Jack's nephew being his secret lovechild or something with his brother's wife? I haven't watched season 6 since it aired, but I remembered the kid resembling jack much more than Emil from robocop.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
The show is not great, but I'm going to stick with it until the end of the season, mostly because I want to see if they bring back any of the characters from the first season, or at least hint at them coming back. It's easy to think Jack just got offed by the Russians, but I like to think there's more going on. Here's hoping the next season starts with Tony and Eric busting him out of a gulag.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

3 A.M. Radio posted:

The show is not great, but I'm going to stick with it until the end of the season, mostly because I want to see if they bring back any of the characters from the first season, or at least hint at them coming back. It's easy to think Jack just got offed by the Russians, but I like to think there's more going on. Here's hoping the next season starts with Tony and Eric busting him out of a gulag.

Tony is going to come back with an eye patch that has "Chicago Cubs, 2016 World Champions" on it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Kingtheninja posted:

Was there ever talk of Jack's nephew being his secret lovechild or something with his brother's wife? I haven't watched season 6 since it aired, but I remembered the kid resembling jack much more than Emil from robocop.
The kid was supposed to be revealed to be Phillip's, until they realized that the idea was too bad even for season 6.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I do hate that the end of Season 9 ended with Jack getting screwed over. I know it was his choice to sacrifice himself (I think?), but come on, give your lead a better send-off that that. It was a slap in the face (if he doesn't make a cameo in this spin-off or other media in the future).

This season is "later season Sons of Anarchy" level bad so far, BTW. I kinda have to do something while I'm watching it just to not feel like I'm wasting my time. It doesn't feel like it earned the right to have the 24 name yet. Is there really an interesting plot in here that justifies its existence?

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 27, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They're bringing Tony back only to kill him with a lead pipe.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JazzFlight posted:

I do hate that the end of Season 9 ended with Jack getting screwed over. I know it was his choice to sacrifice himself (I think?), but come on, give your lead a better send-off that that. It was a slap in the face (if he doesn't make a cameo in this spin-off or other media in the future).

You know, I've been rewatching early seasons of 24 (just got finished with 2, 4 episodes into 3, I'm hesitating between doing 1 or 4 after that) and after reflecting a bit on it, it really fits well with how the main theme in the show is people getting demolished both physically and mentally :
- Jack goes from family man with a successful government career to a broken old man who gives himself for eternal siberian torture fun. Also like 5 of his love interest get killed.
- Tony throws everything away in a futile attempt at revenge
- Michelle dies
- David Palmer goes from idealist to authorizing torture within his first presidency and gets assassinated
- Chloe goes to prison, gets tortured and her child and husband die in a car crash
- Audrey gets sniped
- So does Renee
- Buchanan gets exploded.

The only people who survived 24 are those who knew when to walk away like Kim or Aaron Pierce (my favorite side character).

edit : so I guess my point is lol if you think half of the cast for Legacy is even gonna survive to the end of the day.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm guessing the terrorist cells are going to be activated and the US will fall into chaos / martial law to end the first act. That's when we'll have our first time skip if they're bothering with one.

LAD had a chance to do something fun with the 12 episode format and they wasted it. I'm hoping for something now and I can't wait to be disappointed once again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh since they're showing an older one, the final Kong Trailer is REALLY good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44LdLqgOpjo

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
This Chechnyan thing is getting weirder and weirder

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This may be the worst subplot. Actually dad fought the Russians so he's cool.

Like who the gently caress keeps duck tape on their kitchen.

I'm actively hating everything about this show.

It's not even a good hatewatch.

EDIT: If he kills him I'm back on board.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 28, 2017

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
Don't you remember [entire childhood here]???

This was a bad direction for this to go in

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ok that was a fun twist.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well the preview had no issues showing the bomb goes off.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I knew Chris Christie was behind it all.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Man Jack would have killed Ben so fast.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I recorded it; I don't know If I plan to watch it tomorrow, wait until the rest of the season is recorded, or just quit entirely. :geno:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Is this new 24 worth binging?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Your Taint posted:

Is this new 24 worth binging?

Maybe once the series ends and we know if it's good or bad. But right now it's super bad.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ben : "Hey bro did I tell you about my death flag collection?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Maybe once the series ends and we know if it's good or bad. But right now it's super bad.

Thank you. you just saved my afternoon.

• Locked thread