Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CommissarMega posted:

Anyway, for me practically anything from The Men Drinkin' Coffee are top-notch. Special mention goes to LPs of Raven's Cry and Ride to Hell: Retribution, the latter of which is... NWS? I think? I also like CJacobs' work, especially his Bubsy LP.

I particularly love the Raven's Cry LP, because that version of the game doesn't exist any more. Also that cutscene near the end where the QA team hosed up and there's a pretty long expository conversation entirely in German.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ein cooler Typ posted:

slowbeef's Metal Gear 2 was hilarious and one of the only I've ever read

I think it's deleted from the internet now

Oh man I really hope it hasn't gone, I loved that :(

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
Popped into this thread and saw that the Freelance Astronauts have been recommended a few times already.

Their rapport, as others have mentioned, is really, really great. For me, their only contender was Giant Bomb back when Ryan Davis was still kicking around. Of the Astronauts, I love/hate pipes! the most. His antics get the biggest laughs out of me but his tendency to shout can get grating at times.

The group covers a really wide variety of games. All their videos are great, but here's a selection of my favorites:

At this point I realize that I'm going to end up listing every video they have that are still up so really you should just go and watch all their videos, especially the older ones where only the core 4-member crew are present. Their whole run as Lunk/Lonk through the Zelda series is awesome.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I loved when they did Mass Effect and spawned a tank in the elevator at the Citadel.

Maxwell: Hang on, I can fix it... *Spawns more tanks on top of the original tank trying to knock them out like a penny falls arcade game - game crashes*

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Oh, I almost forgot. Mrs. Spackage, Davidspackage's mum, did a really touching thing and released the LP that was found with his body to the forums.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Literally the LP that convinced me to do an LP.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BioEnchanted posted:

I loved when they did Mass Effect and spawned a tank in the elevator at the Citadel.

Maxwell: Hang on, I can fix it... *Spawns more tanks on top of the original tank trying to knock them out like a penny falls arcade game - game crashes*

No, the best part was when they confused Shepard so much the character model pretended to be a plane.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bitterandtwisted posted:

Definitely the best one I've ever seen.

My roommate's 8 year old brother was over last weekend and when I walked into the living room he was watching this on my xbox youtube and I was like "oh poo poo you know what this is??" And he looked at me like I was an idiot and said "no but it looks dumb" and that's not the only time I've been owned by a child but it's the most recent

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

huhwhat posted:

Popped into this thread and saw that the Freelance Astronauts have been recommended a few times already.

Tossing a couple unmentioned favs of my own on the pile (and phone posting so search on your own folks):

- The Kickboat Saga, in which a Half-Life physics engine is taken to powerful extremes via kicking.
- We Love Katamari: Maxwell states they need to set ground rules for the music, to which pipes! (I think) responds "AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE FOR THE ENITRE GAME" and they proceed to botch the theme
- Adventure for Atari. "I only have one foot."
- OoT Master Quest *was* mentioned, but of note they played this along to Lord of the Rings special edition. They riff on "nobody tosses a dwarf" and it escalates into one of the funniest exhaustion/inappropriate laughter breakdowns I've heard in an LP to this day

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Lt. Danger's Neverwinter Nights 2 LP, and more importantly, the LP of the expansion, which is a fascinating jaunt into Campbellian monomyth theory, storytelling in an inherently interactive medium, and the implementation of moral choice in a context far beyond "feeds orphans/drowns puppies".

If you enjoyed actually listening to what Kreia is talking about in KOTOR2, this is extremely your poo poo.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh man I really hope it hasn't gone, I loved that :(

he did a new LP on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1moR8p5f62U

and he says he lost a lot of the original images from the first LP but is working on restoring it. so a lost piece of history is saved :)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Blind LPs are usually bad, but Voidburgers LP of Undertake was pretty great.

Helloitsdan did one as well, but it wasn't as good. His LP of Mercenaries 2 + Lost Planet with Lithuanian Dad were great. Shame that Lost Planet 1 LP was lost to the aether. I'll never be able to listen to the 'Floral Dance' without thinking of minigunning aliens to shreds with Terry Wogan's dulcet tones.

On a non-S.A. front, Laurentheflute does some... endearing LPs. She's not a good player by any means, but her earnestness carries her through.

Sorry about no links, also on phone.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Another classic I forgot about : The Super Best Friends' "Sadness Quadrilogy".

Two guys play Heavy Rain, Indigo Prophecy, Beyond Two Souls and Omikron: The Nomad Soul back-to-back and realize just how much of a complete hack David Cage is.

It's a BIG watch but it's worth it just to see how their current despair can be topped.

Gyro Zeppeli has a new favorite as of 13:31 on Feb 10, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

[*]Dazzling Addar thought they liked Donkey Kong 64 as a child. Watch as this fondness crumbles into frustration and despair in REAL TIME.
Got my favorite one right off the bat. It didn't help that Vicas and Brother Entropy kept egging on Addar about how much the game sucks and is poorly designed.

Speaking of Vicas, his Super Mario 64 LP with his feet was an amazing work of gameplay. That Koopa the Quick star in Tiny/Huge Island was filled with deaths.

TieTuesday's Sonic Boom LP is listed as "abandoned" in the LP Archive master list, but it was finished. It's similar to the pokecapn crew's playthrough of Sonic 2006, in that he played it the whole way through- unpatched, no less- in one sitting while other commenters chimed in on how much it sucked. By the end of it all, Vicas was incredibly drunk.

Psychedelic Eyeball's Prince of Persia 3D LP was one of my first favorite LPs. He can now pronounce words like "sword" and "lower" correctly.

Maple Leaf did a valuable service by suffering through Metroid: Other M. Watch this so you don't have to play through. Yes, it is that bad. Bonus: he's currently going through the similarly panned Metroid Prime Federation Force.

I like everything FutureFriend does, he and his crew are always funny. Here's his Kingdom Hearts LP.

Diabeetus did a good, face pun-filled LP of Super Mario Galaxy 2. Slowbeef was the most frequent guest but he had others join in.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I miss the days of screenshot LPs. They worked great for jrpgs I never got around to playing and I just can't get into watching someone play a jrpg.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
You're in luck. Those days are now. People still do screenshot LPs of RPGs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Blind Sally posted:

You're in luck. Those days are now. People still do screenshot LPs of RPGs.

I normally go through the archive where it feels like vlps have overtaken ss.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

get that OUT of my face posted:

Got my favorite one right off the bat. It didn't help that Vicas and Brother Entropy kept egging on Addar about how much the game sucks and is poorly designed.

Speaking of Vicas, his Super Mario 64 LP with his feet was an amazing work of gameplay. That Koopa the Quick star in Tiny/Huge Island was filled with deaths.

Whatever happened to them anyway? I liked their LPs and I think their two Yoshi game LPs kind of sank under a whole bunch of goony drama bullshit. Did Vicas just vanish or something after that?

Anyway, to contribute with something not already posted;
The old Monster Rancher LP and its sequel are some of my favorites. The humor in them can be a bit dated like a lot of old LPs but they're games I love and I often get a chuckle out of them. As dumb as it is, the doodle section of the first one never fails to make me laugh like a moron.

Len posted:

Screenshot LPs can take a lot of time and effort to put together and being able to be funny over text is sometimes harder than being able to say funny things with other people.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nuebot posted:

Whatever happened to them anyway? I liked their LPs and I think their two Yoshi game LPs kind of sank under a whole bunch of goony drama bullshit. Did Vicas just vanish or something after that?

Vicas is part of Geop's group now. He's the first co-comentator on Dark Souls and sticks with the run as it builds out and joins in on Dark Souls 2 and Wind Waker as well.

I know Adder was doing an LP of Dark Souls 3 a few months ago, but it looks discontinued.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Zore posted:

Vicas is part of Geop's group now. He's the first co-comentator on Dark Souls and sticks with the run as it builds out and joins in on Dark Souls 2 and Wind Waker as well.

I know Adder was doing an LP of Dark Souls 3 a few months ago, but it looks discontinued.

Oh, I never watched Geop's stuff so maybe I'll check that out one day. But I'm pretty uninterested in Dark Souls LPs so I dunno.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I vaguely remember a lot of people being lovely to Addar for having a weird voice, and later for coming out as trans? It'd be nice to know how she was doing honestly

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nuebot posted:

Screenshot LPs can take a lot of time and effort to put together and being able to be funny over text is sometimes harder than being able to say funny things with other people.

Pretty much, sadly. The amount of effort it takes to put up a Screenshot LP should not be understated. And there's no good platform for it (you're essentially limited to the LP forum in terms of readers with a few outliers), no real possibility of monetization over what amounts to be an enormous effort. The end result to a reader looks like it took a lot less effort than it actually did.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

someone awful. posted:

I vaguely remember a lot of people being lovely to Addar for having a weird voice, and later for coming out as trans? It'd be nice to know how she was doing honestly

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what killed the Yoshi's Story LP. People were just being weird and stupid about it non-stop.

Anyway, Boatmurdered is the only Dwarf Fortress LP I've ever liked. It's pretty worth it if just for the elephant war.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

someone awful. posted:

That wouldn't surprise me, unfortunately.

Addar did do a good Dark Souls 2 LP.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elentor posted:

Pretty much, sadly. The amount of effort it takes to put up a Screenshot LP should not be understated. And there's no good platform for it (you're essentially limited to the LP forum in terms of readers with a few outliers), no real possibility of monetization over what amounts to be an enormous effort. The end result to a reader looks like it took a lot less effort than it actually did.

At the same time, people are probably less interested in a screenshot LP, because it's something you have to actively pay attention to, while you can put on a video LP in the background and do something else or just zone out.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Nuebot posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what killed the Yoshi's Story LP. People were just being weird and stupid about it non-stop.

Anyway, Boatmurdered is the only Dwarf Fortress LP I've ever liked. It's pretty worth it if just for the elephant war.

Seconding Boatmurdered. A good example of a screenshot LP done right.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I said this exact thing in the original recommendations thread and I'll say it again now six or whatever years later- I think RChimpCola and his friends were probably most naturally funny people in LP.

RE5 bro-op
Luigi's Mansion
MGS: Twin Snakes

I recommend starting with the RE5 videos even though they don't have Ladderface.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Nuebot posted:

Happily, with the ongoing "Let's Play all of Final Fantasy" megathread, one of the commentators, Claire is a transwoman who transitioned during the LP (When it first started in FF1 she was still going by her deadname Cody, came out I believe towards the end/middle of the first game) and noone gave her poo poo about it. She actually had a lot of interesting things to say about the process too, like how the voice wouldn't be changing because when puberty hits the larynx it's irreversible, and she'd need a bunch of speech therapy to do anything about it. People have generally been nothing but supportive, so it's good we've come that far since the DazzlingAddar debacle..

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

BioEnchanted posted:

Ferr as a Citadel maintenance man: "Yep... there's your problem..."

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Slowbeef and Diabeetus'sd playthrough of Sonic 2006 is amazing. It stops being a Let's Play partway through and turns into something close to a long-form psychological horror film.
Mass Rafter's w/ Hulkamatt LP of Sonic 06 is also quite good

My favorite LP's back in the day were Spoony's LPs of SWAT 4 and Phantasmagoria 2 which still hold up despite the horrible trainwreck that Spoony became

As for screen grab LP's who did that Civ V as MSF? That was really fun to read and loved how Metal Gear that story line got.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Elentor posted:

Flip side is for things like Ff13, which I couldn't be bothered to play because it was boring and I couldn't get into, why would I watch someone play it when I could read a page of a sslp during a poop break?

I want the world to cater to me drat it :911:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Len posted:

The archive only gets updated when (and if) they finish and only if they are submitted to Baldurk. The Master List is a bit better, but they only get updated as long as there's a random goon out there who feels it's worth their time to update it. The New LP thread is pretty good for keeping track of current LPs.

In the last month alone, the following SSLPs have started up (and most of them are JRPGS too):

So, yeah. You are in luck, those times are now.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Len posted:

Flip side is for things like Ff13, which I couldn't be bothered to play because it was boring and I couldn't get into, why would I watch someone play it when I could read a page of a sslp during a poop break?

I want the world to cater to me drat it :911:

Don't get me wrong, I love SSLPs. I'm just explaining why there aren't more of them. Honestly, there are more ongoing LPs than I would expect even.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I was always a huge fan of the Steampunk Abortionists stuff back when LPs were still just seeping out of SA. Only username I remember is CherryDoom. Are those still around anywhere?

Also Jerusalem's text San Andreas playthrough was pretty rad too

A whole bunch of that poo poo is still on the internet, weirdly enough.

The GTA 3 and GTA SA videos are still up on the internet archive, and Rirse has a bunch of their LPs archived on his playlists. I haven't really watched them recently, but I remember them all being pretty good.

Unfortunately I think all their Harry Potter LPs are just gone forever, which is a shame because those were some of my favorites.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

achillesforever6 posted:

As for screen grab LP's who did that Civ V as MSF? That was really fun to read and loved how Metal Gear that story line got.

That would be Speedball's Civ5: Peace Walker LP.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Tossing a couple unmentioned favs of my own on the pile (and phone posting so search on your own folks):

- The Kickboat Saga, in which a Half-Life physics engine is taken to powerful extremes via kicking.
- We Love Katamari: Maxwell states they need to set ground rules for the music, to which pipes! (I think) responds "AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE FOR THE ENITRE GAME" and they proceed to botch the theme
- Adventure for Atari. "I only have one foot."
- OoT Master Quest *was* mentioned, but of note they played this along to Lord of the Rings special edition. They riff on "nobody tosses a dwarf" and it escalates into one of the funniest exhaustion/inappropriate laughter breakdowns I've heard in an LP to this day

- Syrg skyping in to Oblivion while extremely high and flipping out about MOTHERFUCKING SPIKES
- Maxwell getting killed so hardcore in RE4 it broke his console (I caught that one live)
- "another success for the soviet space program"
- All of North vs South

Neb777's TIE Fighter was an early classic, from before the subforum.

Zoolooman's Civilization 4 LP written as a series of history lectures from the modern era of his civ is excellent.

Nakar's LPs, particularly Ultima, are still pretty much the gold standard for screenshot LPs.

Mercs 2 by helloitsdan and lithuanian dad and also their sadly gone-from-the-internet Lost Planet stuff.

I'm sure the proteus and suspicious Daikatana LP has been mentioned--slowbeef's tribute parody vlp of the Daikata gameboy adaption was also solid gold.

And the best Sonic 06 LP will always be the original-flavor 20 hour slow boat to hell with pokecapn, medibot, and kung fu jesus. Support esports.

HookedOnChthonics has a new favorite as of 06:21 on Feb 17, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Trick Question posted:

Unfortunately I think all their Harry Potter LPs are just gone forever, which is a shame because those were some of my favorites.

*sigh* Flipendo...

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

*sigh* Flipendo...

I was about to ask if it was those ones and now know without a doubt. It's a shame to have lost them.

The Tipping Forties had some really good LPs. My personal favourites are the Goldeneye one (with bizarre drinking conditions pulled out of a hat before each level) and Tales Of Symphonia (where drinking every time someone says World, Regeneration or Mana visibly takes its toll).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Brofessor Slayton posted:

I was about to ask if it was those ones and now know without a doubt. It's a shame to have lost them.

The Tipping Forties had some really good LPs. My personal favourites are the Goldeneye one (with bizarre drinking conditions pulled out of a hat before each level) and Tales Of Symphonia (where drinking every time someone says World, Regeneration or Mana visibly takes its toll).

Their FFX LP is probably the only video LP of a JRPG I can stand because it's just hours of them pissing on a game that's dumb. Their grab bag videos are pretty great too, I like that there's just one guy in the group who always gets really mad about mario party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

BioEnchanted posted:

Happily, with the ongoing "Let's Play all of Final Fantasy" megathread, one of the commentators, Claire is a transwoman who transitioned during the LP

And I'm gonna recommend that LP in general because it's great to see Claire and Ryan's sheer enthusiasm for the games, especially as they see the graphic and quality of life improvements from beginning to end. It's an excellent background LP because, you know, video of RPGs, but their off-topic and on-topic conversation is great. (Also their voice acting is hilarious, but fair warning if you would not enjoy the adventures of the Most Italian Paladin!)

• Locked thread