Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I haven't seen it mentioned, but Elephantgun's Let's Break Final Fantasy VI is an interesting and entertaining read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Cybershell's Sonic LP was fantastic with his oval office-o-meter for the enemies.

Man, completely forgot about the Sonic 2 special edition videos. They were so great.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I was shitposting in another thread and it reminded me of a screenshot LP I liked, END ME SCOOB's Sailor Moon RPG thrad

Not only is it a kind of nice looking rpg that's too grindy to be enjoyable yourself, there's a LOT OF discussion in the thread, from how mistranslated and off the game's story is to in depth sailor moon LORE discussions to people getting addicted to the phone game, it's pretty fun.... I had no idea what went on in Sailor Moon and it's fun to read people who grew up with it describe the crazy poo poo that makes up the story.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Someday, someone will finish a Sword of Mana screenshot LP.

Nuebot posted:

Whatever happened to them anyway? I liked their LPs and I think their two Yoshi game LPs kind of sank under a whole bunch of goony drama bullshit. Did Vicas just vanish or something after that?
Vicas was also part of the Sonic Boom LP that I mentioned, and that was a more recent one. He got extremely drunk during it.

His Yoshi's Island LP had large gaps in between updates because he got cancer and was subsequently treated for it. Goons being stupid about Addar's voice didn't help, as did the fact that the GBA port is terrible due to the smaller screen size.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

jaclynhyde posted:

And I'm gonna recommend that LP in general because it's great to see Claire and Ryan's sheer enthusiasm for the games, especially as they see the graphic and quality of life improvements from beginning to end. It's an excellent background LP because, you know, video of RPGs, but their off-topic and on-topic conversation is great. (Also their voice acting is hilarious, but fair warning if you would not enjoy the adventures of the Most Italian Paladin!)

Yeah, I'd second that recommendation even if I wasn't the wacky neighbor costar level in that thread with Claire constantly shouting out to me as a running gag, and my eventual officially sponsored extra content of slowly screenshotting my way through the flashy modern remakes.

Why no, I'm not shamelessly self promoting, why do you ask?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Scruffy's Let's Play Monaco series was really enjoyable, and helped me get more out of the game. I didn't want to watch an LP as a walkthrough, and I didn't want to watch it as a substitute for playing, and so I found it fun to go back and watch his play of a particular level (Monaco allows for a lot of flexibility and improv) and get that ohhhhhhhh, I shoulda thought of that feeling.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
Deceased Crab's Let's Play Cave Story Was one of the first lets plays I ever watched, and I still find myself going back to it every now and then. Huzzah!

Oyster's lp's of Megaman 1-3 are a work of art, each stage he would take on a stupid challenge , fail at it a bunch of times, and then start screaming about it.
If you don't want to watch him get angry at video games he also translated and played though Super Adventure Rockman ,an obscure Japanese-only Saturn and PSX Megaman FMV game.

Mr.Flibble has a new favorite as of 02:13 on Feb 23, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Speaking of Mega Man LPs, I enjoy Simply Simon's LPs of every NES and Game Boy Mega Man game. His voice is very soothing and his love for the series shines through. It's especially apparent for Mega Man 3, his favorite game in the NES series.

Blind Sally and nine-gear crow's Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire LP doubled as a playthrough of the early N64 game and a look at the contradictions and outright lies about Dash Rendar as portrayed in the video game, book, and comic book.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Raocow is a goon, I think, and he does a lot of really relaxing videos of him playing Super Mario World hacks. (The VIP series, various smw central stone soup-type hacks, weird random japanese ones, etc) He basically does it every day so there's a huge backlog built up, and I like to put on some big playlist and fall asleep to it, since he's got a pleasant voice that is guaranteed to not do any embarrassing autistic screaming. Whenever he fucks up a lot he just swears in canadian french, which is still soothing-sounding.

He plays at an entertaining level of skill where he knows all the tricks and intricacies of the SMW engine and hacking it, so he can make even challenging obstacles look easy, but then he still frequently misses obvious stuff or dies in ridiculous ways that are usually funny. If they're not funny he just gets frustrated quietly, which imo is crucial to a bearable LP, and edits out the no-content spots. I'd say the only downside is that he has a lot of annoying teenage-brained fans, but it's easy enough to not read the comments.

Trespasser, Simply Simon for the whole drat classic Megaman series, and raocow for Mario hacks.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Pastry of the Year posted:

Scruffy's Let's Play Monaco series was really enjoyable, and helped me get more out of the game. I didn't want to watch an LP as a walkthrough, and I didn't want to watch it as a substitute for playing, and so I found it fun to go back and watch his play of a particular level (Monaco allows for a lot of flexibility and improv) and get that ohhhhhhhh, I shoulda thought of that feeling.

He's basically doing the same thing for Enter the Gungeon presently over in the sub-forum. I recommend it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Someone mentioned them on the first page, but I'm going to second Keep Et Classy, featuring Aaron Costello and Gabriel Morton, whom you might know as the guy opposite on the now-ended Let's Drown Out series with Yahtzee. A good starting point would be their Pepsiman Let's Play.

Both dudes are funny as poo poo; the only thing you might want to be warned about is that they sometimes venture into some phrases that are generally used by bigots. They are generally progressive in opinion; I chalk most of it up to being native Australians (where oval office isn't as negative it is elsewhere) and grew up in an era where gay/retarted was the term for certain things.

Because of them, my celebratory exclamation has become GET ROOTED.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 04:06 on Feb 28, 2017

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I want to lp, but i can't afford the royalties and patent license fees that go to sloebeef

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

MisterBibs posted:

Someone mentioned them on the first page, but I'm going to second Keep Et Classy, featuring Aaron Costello and Gabriel Morton, whom you might know as the guy opposite on the now-ended Let's Drown Out series with Yahtzee. A good starting point would be their Pepsiman Let's Play.

Both dudes are funny as poo poo; the only thing you might want to be warned about is that they sometimes venture into some phrases that are generally used by bigots. They are generally progressive in opinion; I chalk most of it up to being native Australians (where oval office isn't as negative it is elsewhere) and grew up in an era where gay/retarted was the term for certain things.

Because of them, my celebratory exclamation has become GET ROOTED.

I used to be one of those guys' roommate and can tell you that no, people who grew up around then aren't still speaking like that, they're just enormous immature fuckwits.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

I used to be one of those guys' roommate and can tell you that no, people who grew up around then aren't still speaking like that, they're just enormous immature fuckwits.
But the fact that "oval office" isn't always a negative term for people down under is true, right?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

get that OUT of my face posted:

But the fact that "oval office" isn't always a negative term for people down under is true, right?
It is true, but not nearly to the extent that people play it up. For most people, in most contexts, it's still one of the most offensive words you can say.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So this Fire Emblem mobile game has gotten me in the mood for some Fire Emblem, I know there's some LPs of like one and four in the archive but what about two and three?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Okay, seriously. This is one of the best LPs in recent history. If you're not following this, you should be.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Coolguye and TheLastRoboKy's LP of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is one of the funniest LP's to me. They show off a really janky but fun-looking game and break it in half. Special mention goes to Coolguye showing off how to save a particular NPC from his scripted death through unconventional methods.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah this is really, really good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Smokyprogg's Majora's Mask Three-Day Challenge was somehow able to be hilarious, technically impressive, and incredibly tense all at the same time. Definitely the best LP I've followed in the last couple of years, or at least the one I remember the best. Youtube playlist here, the LP Archive entry kinda spoils parts of the run.

VoiceofDog's LISA LP was also extremely good and already linked, and now you don't have to wait a month between updates! :v: The thread is still active, he also did a runthrough of the game's hard mode and is eventually gonna do the DLC campaign.

Also CJacob's blind runthrough of Resident Evil 4 (done as part of his The Evil Within thread) was really good because of how drat happy he seemed while playing it. Blind LPs can sometimes be super-aggravating to watch for a sperglord like me (especially RE4 which is one of my all-time favorites) but not here. Sadly it's not on the archive, but the thread might still be active.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One of the reasons I like doing LPs is because of a particular feeling I get, where early in recording a game I like I get hit with a flashback of when I first played the game to completion and remember a cool part or boss that I liked and I start thinking "Oh my god I can't wait to get to that part! I remember that being awesome!" Hasn't happened with much, only really with Ghosthunter so far, but it's a cool feeling.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

C-Euro posted:

Blind LPs can sometimes be super-aggravating to watch for a sperglord like me (especially RE4 which is one of my all-time favorites) but not here.

Laurentheflute's blind run of Undertale restored my faith in humanity

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah, Lauren, bless her heart, may not be the best gamer, but she is definitively one of the most... emotionally sincere, so she's perfect for Undertale.

Other great L.P.s of that include Voidburger's and Helloitsdan. Primarily because none of them read out the dialogue - which is quite, quite annoying when people do it in text video games.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Super Great Friend finally finished the Zero Escape Series, in retrospect against his better judgement. At the end he was talking about how it used to be a joke that he would stream vlr. Because only an idiot would stream a 50 hour visual novel. And then he did.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Geop is in the middle of a drat good LP of Metal Wolf Chaos. He's joined by Vicas, Kuvo, and TieTuesday, who apparently has never seen the game before and reacts to it exactly as you hope he would. (Note: Geop forgot to add the 7th video to the playlist.)

Speaking of Tie, these aren't technically LPs, but here's him and his friends poo poo-talking Watch_Dogs while chilling their way through Rogue Legacy, and here's him baiting racist idiots into embarrassing themselves on-stream while playing Rocket League.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Ooh, excuse the double post, didn't want anybody who might have already read the thread to miss this.

If you dug Didja Redo's Gazillionaire Deluxe LP, he also did one for an obscure JRPG called Avalon Code. I'm not going to mince words: it's practically fanfiction. Didja apparently picked up the game based entirely on its premise. He found the game charming, but thought the story was absolute toss and found himself rewriting it -- keeping to the original narrative outline, of course. If you loved the narrative he crafted for Gazillionaire, you'll love this.

By popular demand, he also included updates with the original game's script so there's a historical record of what the game actually is. It also further highlights the disparity between what it is and what it could have been.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Hi I'm one of those guys from the OP. Quovak is the best screenshot LPer. His Chrono Trigger LP is the best screenshot LP ever made.

And yes, one of those is named Jesus: Kyōfu No Bio Monster.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

In honor of Bernie Wrightson's recent passing, here's the second LP I ever read and it's still hilarious.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Probably the best thing that Retsupurae has done recently isn't actually game-related: slowbeef and TieTuesday discovering Dahir Insaat, a Turkish (I think?) patent-troll firm that releases their completely insane and unfeasible ideas in video form. My favorite was the bed that protects you from earthquakes by clamping down on you and your mattress like a Venus fly trap as soon as it detects even the slightest tremor, or the weird artery-cleaning drill that Tie, who works with medical machinery, immediately goes off about how much it would gently caress up your blood vessels. Unfortunately, they got DMCA'd by the company and I can't be bothered to look for backups. I spoilered that because you really should see the video first before ruining the surprise.

For actual LPs, I'd say my favorite is Orange Fluffy Sheep doing Digimon World, a PS1 game with a less-than-stellar monster-raising aspect. I believe OFS actually worked with someone who was proficient with a hex editor to discover the exact unlock methods for a couple of Digimon that no one could nail down for years. Their other LPs are also good if you like games where you can become absurdly OP and wreck everything. Their The World Ends With You LP convinced me to buy a copy of the game.

Scratch-O has a new favorite as of 00:32 on Mar 23, 2017

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Orange fluffy sheep is currently lp'ing Pokemon Uranium, which tietuesday did a stream of. It's terrible. Of course the thread is full of Pokémon obsessive and there's five pages of talk for every update but ofs is still pretty fun.

I also recommend highwang's current Odin sphere thread for talking about food. The co commentators are pretty funny. I know the game's story already and like it but it's fun to see the unitiated react to them.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

There was a let's play of Yu-Gi-Oh: Forbidden Memories a while back that I liked a bunch. It was the perfect game for an SSLP: a turn-based game that is both interesting and unplayable. What makes this particular game unplayable is that, in order to make the game longer, the developers decided to make it so that every card has an incredibly low drop rate and almost every new opponent is a huge difficulty spike that requires the latest and best cards. Fortunately, there is an in-game shop where you can unlock new cards by entering the code on the real-life version, and buy them using in-game currency! :dance: Unfortunately, every card that is even remotely useful costs upwards of 50000 units of currency, when the most you can earn from a single battle is 5 :supaburn:

It's fun to see just how ridiculous the game gets in terms of difficulty, and imagine exactly how long it would take to make a successful deck when even a single barely-half decent card represents 4 hours of grinding. Sadly, I don't remember who did the LP, and it is not in the LP Archive or the master list. Does anyone have a link to this one?

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Ariong posted:

Unfortunately, every card that is even remotely useful costs upwards of 50000 units of currency, when the most you can earn from a single battle is 5 :supaburn:

The weird thing about Forbidden Memories is that it isn't just the most useful or most powerful cards that get that price tag. As the LPer and some of the regular posters pointed out, there's a lot of trash cards that also cost that much. It gives the impression that the dev's reason for pricing them that high was less "you will never be able to use this awesome card" and more "we'll replace this number with something theoretically possible later on, oh wait poo poo the publisher wants the discs pressed and on shelves in two weeks." You know, the Sonic 06 problem where the programmers just sorta...ran out of time before getting to the polishing phase.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Scratch-O posted:

The weird thing about Forbidden Memories is that it isn't just the most useful or most powerful cards that get that price tag. As the LPer and some of the regular posters pointed out, there's a lot of trash cards that also cost that much. It gives the impression that the dev's reason for pricing them that high was less "you will never be able to use this awesome card" and more "we'll replace this number with something theoretically possible later on, oh wait poo poo the publisher wants the discs pressed and on shelves in two weeks." You know, the Sonic 06 problem where the programmers just sorta...ran out of time before getting to the polishing phase.

That makes sense for the ones that cost 999999, those are the ones that you're not supposed to be able to get. (Or the developers just didn't bother to put a price on them.) I'm talking about cards that, in order to get the resources required to unlock them, you would have to get a perfect rating on a duel ten thousand times.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Ariong posted:

There was a let's play of Yu-Gi-Oh: Forbidden Memories a while back that I liked a bunch. It was the perfect game for an SSLP: a turn-based game that is both interesting and unplayable. What makes this particular game unplayable is that, in order to make the game longer, the developers decided to make it so that every card has an incredibly low drop rate and almost every new opponent is a huge difficulty spike that requires the latest and best cards. Fortunately, there is an in-game shop where you can unlock new cards by entering the code on the real-life version, and buy them using in-game currency! :dance: Unfortunately, every card that is even remotely useful costs upwards of 50000 units of currency, when the most you can earn from a single battle is 5 :supaburn:

It's fun to see just how ridiculous the game gets in terms of difficulty, and imagine exactly how long it would take to make a successful deck when even a single barely-half decent card represents 4 hours of grinding. Sadly, I don't remember who did the LP, and it is not in the LP Archive or the master list. Does anyone have a link to this one?

I found it by googling "something awful forbidden memories".

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783156

It's pretty recent, and looks to be finished, so I'm not sure why it's not on the archive. I'm not really clear on how the lp archive works in general, though.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
If you want it in the archive, email Baldurk and ask for it to go in the archive. If you dont ask, it doesnt go. It's purely goon run. Baldurk provideals the service but relies on people like you to keep it current.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The Monster Rancher lps are good.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Tired Moritz posted:

The Monster Rancher lps are good.

Man, I loved those games on PS1.

Are there any games that you guys can think of that are really entertaining to watch people play blind? Off the bat, I think of games like Dark Souls or Undertale? I guess horror games fit this description, but it's not really the type I'm looking for.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Captain Lavender posted:

Man, I loved those games on PS1.

Are there any games that you guys can think of that are really entertaining to watch people play blind?

Metal Gear Rising: Revengance has a few moments that come to mind. Notably the bosses, especially the first and last, as well as the part with the Mariachi costume.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Time to dump a whole bunch of links!

My favourite LPer is medibot, who's most well-known for his part in pokecapn's Sonic '06 LP, but he's done a good number of LPs of his own, mostly of Kirby games. Has a lot of fun stuff, whether he's going for charming gentle comedy, grade-A absurdist bullshitting or even the occasional genuinely profound moment. His co-op LP of Kirby's Epic Yarn with MyNameIsKaz is pretty much perfect LP comfort food.

Re people talking about the Freelance Astronauts earlier, I think my favourite videos from them would probably be the Multiplayer Lemmings ones. Ferr's very rapid descent into madness as he tries to beat Maxwell is something to behold.

On a different tack, it's also always neat to see informative LPs of games "everyone knows about" that I'm not so familiar with myself, like Simply Simon's Mega Man LPs or Vicas' Dark Souls and Mario 64 (which was also very technically impressive, given he was playing with his feet) LPs. Or speaking of Vicas, Geop's Dark Souls LP (mentioned already by a ton of people) - blind player with informed co-commentators is another nice format. Faerie Fortune's LP of Ocarina of Time and her ongoing LP of Majora's Mask are other nice examples of this.

Phiggle is generally very entertaining, and is frequently being put through his paces by Dectilon in some fiendish Mega Man romhack or other. He also has nice solo LP of VVVVVV.

And well, there's a ton of other good stuff out there and this would be crazy long if I listed all of it. So let's switch to some screenshot LPs instead. Moon Slayer and Deryl's LP of SimCity 2000 is an ancient classic at this point, turning SimCity into a psychological thriller. The Deadly Hume did something similar with SimCity3000, although he plays along with SC3K's effortless charm a lot more.

Chorocojo/RedChocobo was pretty much the guy who got me into Pokemon with his LPs of the series, and it's no secret why he was the only guy allowed to LP the series on SA for a long time, because he does a very good job of it. I think my favourite of his Pokemon LPs is Pokemon Black. And while we're on the subject, his video LP of Man vs. Wild with Zorak is a great example of a deconstruction of a terrible game.

e: frozentreasure's LP of Fez is a very interesting in terms of its laserlike focus on structure and splitting the game into two halves. It's not how the average person would play Fez, but it is a very good way to show the game off, and it does a few neat tricks with editing. And if you want a more conventional run, the two Matts have done a nice one of it and a bunch of other puzzle platformers.

Paul.Power has a new favorite as of 17:57 on Apr 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

These guys have been decent for their blind sports game attempts:

https://youtu.be/htZoBfEWXxg#t=00m09s

Having virtually never touched a sports game myself it's kind of interesting to learn along with them. It's an entire genre that looks interesting sometimes but I could never justify buying one to see.

• Locked thread