Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Humanity is finished.
A small group of survivors band together to make their way to one of the last bastions of man in hopes of finding solace at the end of the world.

All the while hunted by the monsters in the dark...
and in their midst..

Welcome to The Last Bastion, an open-setup paranoia-style mafia variant for 30 players!

I have endeavored to designed a large scale game that can be played quickly, with a simplistic rule-set, that does away with a large number of the standard pitfalls mafia games fall into.
This variant is designed for maximum inter-player paranoia, with constantly shifting allegiances, that should hopefully be engaging to ALL players.

Does the useful player survive?
What secrets are spilled when a knife is to your throat?
Where does your allegiance lie?

Lets find out together!

26x Skittish Town
1x Zombie (Cult Recruiter)
1x Vampire (Cult Recruiter)
1x Werewolf (Cult Recruiter)
1x The Cure

- No Voting. :siren:
- 24 hour days. 12 hour nights.

Day Phase
- Once per day 3x Skittish Town will be randomly granted the ability to ##EXECUTE a target. This is a public action in thread, and everybody will know who has been chosen.
- The day will end once all 3 shots have been taken, or deadline hits. Wasted shots will NOT carry over, but players are free to withhold the kill if they chose to.
- ONLY Skittish Town will be selected for the execute ability.
- Recruiters + Cult members are INELIGIBLE.
- Town can be selected MULTIPLE times to gain the execute ability.

Night Phase
- At night each Recruiter will chose a victim to ##BITE, infecting them and joining their respective Cultdocs
- Each Recruiter has special rules about who they can and cannot infect.
- If a Recruiter bites the wrong person, they die.

The Infected
- Infected individuals may potentially be biten multiple times, gaining access to multiple Cultdocs.
- Infected individuals must choose where their loyalty lie and may choose to out their Recruiter publicly, other Cultists, etc.
- You are no longer eligible to be chosen to recieve the ##EXECUTE ability

The Cure
- If this player can survive the journey to the stronghold, town wins regardless of how many infected are still in play.
- If this player is killed by a Recruiter, they will be granted a boon.
- The Cure will only flip as Skittish Town, so it is wise not to draw attention to yourself.

1. Anomalous Amalgam
  2. Bifauxnen
  3. CCKeane
  4. Enola Gay-For-Pay
  5. iajanus
  6. imgay
  7. Jordan7hm
  8. King Burgundy
  9. Lampsacus
  10. Little Mac
  11. MMM Whatchya Say
  12. Moatillata
  13. Poque
  14. Pussy Quipped
  15. Quidthulhu
  16. SLASHER HAWKE
  17. Somberbrero
  18. this is a stickup
  19. Tobbs Gnawed
  20. Tommunist
  21. Yorkshire Tea

Jonathan Fisk - Town - has died D1 at the hands of Bifauxnen
chaoslord - Town - has died D1 at the hands of Yorkshire Tea
bowmore - Town - has died D1 at the hands of Pussy Quipped
CapitalistPig - Town - has died D2 at the hands of Anomalous Amalgam
Kashuno - INFECTED (Vampire) - has died D2 at the hands of Quidthulhu
GulagDolls - Town - has died D2 at the hands of Lampsacus
Dugong - Vampire Cult Recruiter - has died D3 at the hands of iajanus
Murmur Twin - Town - has died D3 at the hands of Lampsacus
Absurd Revolver - Town - has died D3 at the hands of Enola Gay-For-Pay

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

Sure, this looks fun! /in.
Thanks!
questions
Town can be selected MULTIPLE times to gain the execute ability. <- does this mean multiple times in one day? or does this just mean multiple times over the course of the game?
they will be granted a boon. <- what is a boon? Is it a mafia term or does it simply mean a secret power/reward? or does it mean an extra 'life'?

Multiple times over the course of the game. I am an unbiased mod, so you have my guarantee that it will be truly random.

A boon is a reward in this context.
What the reward is... Well.. maybe we'll find out later!~

Also welcome! A fresh face I haven't seen before!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

We're halfway to :murder:time!

Thanks for signing up folks!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bifauxnen posted:

Is this supposed to be the only thing we know about wincons? It does still sound fun to just have everybody biting each other to turn into zombie werevampires for the hell of it, but I am mildly curious.

Yes that is intentionally the only public wincon made available.
Town win if The Cure makes it to the bastion.

There are multiple outcomes in this setup, which is what I designed it to do, so the remaining wincons are not made public.
Things could go hilariously tits up for one group or another, but that's part of the fun!

I would love to talk with everyone at length after the game about my design intentions, what worked, what didn't, etc.
I'm hoping that even though this is primarily a 'vanilla' setup, that regardless of your designated role, it is enjoyable for everybody.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Like I know I am a jackass in most games, but I have sat down and attempted to create a 'pure' variant of the mafia setup.

I think it will play quite well, and be a very very fun read once people start pointing the execute ability in peoples faces.

You can't claim Cop or Doc when the gun is pointed at you, so do you believe that persons claim? Are they useful to the group? Are they town? Are they a monster? Are they infected? Ohhhh they got the execute ability yesterday, but what if they were infected last night... Who do you trust? Where do your loyalties lie? Should you out the recruiter that brought you into your fold, even though you're already infected by another? Or do you bide your time and see what happens..

The only person you can really trust is yourself..

And that's why I've dubbed this the PARANOIA variant. :getin:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Alternative facts, like saying you're a good player?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

9 more and we're good to go.

So PM your friends, family, and frenemies to come join and have a good time.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

We are inching ever closer to being full folks! I'll keep asking for sign ups in the usual places until we're good to go.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

This is a medieval setting tyvm

If you're going to be shooting anyone it will be with a crossbow :colbert:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Quidthulhu posted:

I am terrible at big games but maybe this one will be different! Sign me up.

That is the cool thing about this game! It becomes a small game very quickly!

(Also thank you for signing up)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I have done some cross-forum promotional work to hopefully fill the ranks, so if you see some new players rock up please be nice to them.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Welcome!

I'm headin to bed shortly, so fingers crossed I wake up to 5 more sign ups and we'll get this thing happening asap!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

3 more and we can begin :toot:

But imma go to sleep :tootzzz:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

1 more and we're gtg!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tommunist posted:

hi need 1???

:hellyeah:

:siren: Game is now full! :siren:

Just working on a few things around the house, but game will open ASAP after that!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Roles are going out now!

If you have not recieved a PM, you are Skittish Town.

The shared role PM is as follows:

quote:

You are but one of many downtrodden souls that has joined a growing caravan of people heading towards The Last Bastion of Man, a rumoured stronghold against the monsters in the dark.

You know you are human, but you swear there were more people now than there were yesterday..

You are Skittish Town
You are Town Aligned and win when The Cure makes it the Bastion.

You have no abilities, but may be randomly selected to gain access to the ##EXECUTE ability once per day.

:siren: There is no voting. :siren:
- Votefinder is being used merely to track players still left alive, and provide reminders regarding the deadline.
- However do feel free to vote to use it as a way to track the most suspicious players via public opinion.

:siren: 24 hour days. 12 hour nights :siren:
- This is a strict limit to encourage a quick game, and to help maximise the paranoia.
- There is no extended D1, so 'jokephase' posting should be limited as much as possible.
- Actions not in before deadline will be IGNORED.
- If you are town and do not use your EXECUTE ability during the day, whether by choice or not being around, it will not carry over to the next day.

:siren: The ##EXECUTE ability will be granted at random :siren:
- I will be using a sequence generator each day to determine who will gain access to the ability
- The same person may be chosen to recieve the ability multiple times, but it will be purely by random chance. I will not massage rolls.
- ONLY SKITTISH TOWN will be able to be chosen to gain access to ##EXECUTE
- Cult Recuiters cannot be chosen
- Infected players cannot be chosen
- Once all 3 ##EXECUTEs are used the day will end immediately.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask, but I may choose not to answer from this point onwards!

The game starts... :murder: NOW! :murder:

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 10, 2017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Your village is finished.. constant raids by monsters have thinned out all but the tired, the sick, and the elderly.
There's nothing else to live for there.

Two week ago you joined a caravan heading towards a supposed stronghold of man, a last bastion against the terrors in the dark.

Every few days the caravan passes through another village just like yours. Decimated save all for a handful of peasants who seek to join the prosession.
Now as you trudge along through the mud, you swear that there are more people than there should be..

You grasp your dagger close to your chest, and pray the monsters still belong in the dark..

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Quidthulhu posted:

So, question: What happens if we all vote for someone and force Votefinder to fire and remove them from the game? Anyone wanna run a test and see how much this annoys inf? :v:

*removes Quid from the game*

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

http://i.imgur.com/hBnMWPH.mp4

The caravan makes camp for the evening. An uneasy air settles over the campfire as the dark takes hold, as the constant braying of the mules lets the band know that they are not alone in the woods.

One of your members stirs restly in their sleep, nightmarish visions of the raid that took their family from them jolts him awake.

"I... I swear he looked just like one of them.. and now he's marching with us to the bastion! I.. h-have to do something!"

With their dagger unsheathed, they rise from their bed in search of answers

:siren: Yorkshire Tea has been granted the ##EXECUTE ability! :siren:

- To use this ability you must make a public post in the thread with ##EXECUTE [Player Name]
- Non-bolded executes will not count
- PM'd usage of the ability will not count
- It is strongly recommended that you question the person you wish to slay, before using the ability as it is a one shot ability.
- You have until the deadline to use the ability, so there is no rush.
- If you do not use the ability, it will not carry over to the next Game Day and you will have wasted your shot.
- Flips will be made immediately

The game continues.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:munch:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yorkshire Tea posted:

That's the plan.

Edit: So Europe, who should I murder in hilarious fashion?

I should also mention standard mafia rules are in effect, so please do not edit posts.
That was my bad.

I'm pretty laid back about it, so quick edits are A-OK.
Just don't go back and edit posts.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*snap*

A sound in the dark stirs 2 more of the travelers, both far warier of the recent pickups than the others.

Thieves most likely, but the recent murmurs of more ancient beasts in these lands stirs them to action.

Tonight there would blood, but first.. questions of loyalty.

:siren: Bifauxen has been granted the ##EXECUTE ability! :siren:
:siren: Pussy Quipped has been granted the ##EXECUTE ability! :siren:

- To use this ability you must make a public post in the thread with ##EXECUTE [Player Name]
- It is strongly recommended that you question the person you wish to slay, before using the ability as it is a one shot ability.
- If you do not use the ability, it will not carry over to the next Game Day and you will have wasted your shot.

The game continues.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I am going to bed, if any executes happen I will flip them in the morning :toot:

Maybe use that time to point a blade at a persons throat before you slice it!~

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bifauxnen posted:

##EXECUTE Jonathan Fisk

:murder: Jonathan Fisk - Town has died D1 at the hands of Bifauxnen :murder:

The day continues

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yorkshire Tea posted:

##EXECUTE chaoslord

:murder: chaoslord - Town has died D1 at the hands of Yorkshire Tea :murder:

The day continues

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If the final lynch occurs while I'm asleep, feel free to continue discussing the day afterwards.

:tootzzz:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pussy Quipped posted:

##EXECUTE BOWMORE

:murder: Bowmore - Town has died D1 at the hands of Pussy Quipped :murder:

It is now Night 1!

Recruiters have :siren: 12 hours :siren: from time of this post to get their actions in.
The earlier actions are in, the earlier we will reopen!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren: D2 begins! :siren:
(I am tired and it is 45 degrees [120f or something] so you don't get a fancy flavour text and imma take a nap)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

this is a stickup posted:

give me an execute before you nap thanks!

OK

"Lotta murderin goin on round here.. may as well join in the festivities"

:siren: Anomalous Amalgam has been granted the ##EXECUTE ability! :siren:

The game continues.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:murder: CapitalistPig - Town has died D1 at the hands of Anomalous Amalgam :murder:

:siren: Quidthulhu has been granted the ##EXECUTE ability! :siren:
:siren: Lampsacus has been granted the ##EXECUTE ability! :siren:

The game continues.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:murder: Kashuno - Infected (Vampire) has died D1 at the hands of Quidthulhu :murder:

The game continues.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A true patriot of the arts

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

farts*

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

##execute GulagDolls

:murder: Gulagdolls - Town has died D1 at the hands of Lampsacus :murder:

Again it is strongly recommended that you question people before executing them.

It is now Night 2!

Recruiters have :siren: 12 hours :siren: from time of this post to get their actions in.
The earlier actions are in, the earlier we will reopen!

As an aside I know I suck at flavour, but I will try to have a nice little flavour post ready for the next day!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

As an aside I know I suck at flavour, but I will try to have a nice little flavour post ready for the next day!

:siren: D3 begins now! :siren:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I am really bad at flavour :shrug:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren: Enola Gay-For-Pay has been granted the ##EXECUTE ability! :siren:
:siren: iajanus has been granted the ##EXECUTE ability! :siren:
:siren: Lampsacus has been granted the ##EXECUTE ability! :siren:

The game continues.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Do me a favour and try to question people before you kill them this time =_=

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Poque posted:

Inf this game will get cool eventually but there needs to be something for non-scum non-executioners to do leading up to a deadline for the first several days

Agreed. Will talk post-game more about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

iajanus posted:

Fine, I'm going to just shoot with my heart.

##EXECUTE Dugong

:murder: Dugong - Vampire Cult Recruiter has died D3 at the hands of iajanus :murder:

You are the Vampire Cult Recruiter
Once per night you may ##BITE NAME to infect someone and change them into a Vampire

You win when your cult controls a majority percentage over the remaining playerbase.
You lose if The Cure makes it to the Bastion alive, and uninfected.

:siren: The Cure has been cleansed of his Infection :siren:

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 13, 2017

• Locked thread