Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Fre: +1 | Dan: +2 | Sav: +1 | Sup: -1 | Mun: 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None

--We could be watching My Totally Irresponsible Ninja Past right now--

'Shut it. This is important'

I flick the sword's hilt with my finger, shaking my head slightly. Despite that, I'm not feeling much more patient than Snicker-snack. I really don't like waiting. It wasn't like this before, I used to love just spending time daydreaming, or napping, stuff like that. But now, it feels like every second we're wasting sitting here waiting for our Supervisor is one of the few I have left before I die. Each silent moment is filled with the sound of my life ticking away. The longer we wait, the more depressing my thoughts get, in a similar vein to the previous ones, until eventually The Amazing Arcanist finally arrives. I'm not in a particularly receptive mood by then, but I'm lifted somewhat from the sour, dark contemplation by the news that they (almost) all voted for me to be the leader. I'm not... I don't entirely know how to feel about that, but it is... heartening, to know that they trust me. I give the team a faint smile, and Psychosoma a slightly brighter one.

At least they're giving me something important to do. I didn't agree to join the Hero Academy because I wanted to sit in class all day and not be doing heroics as well. I'd rather be doing just the heroics, but... --A dull mind is a dull blade-- 'Your wise mentor shtick worked a lot better before you started quoting anime characters, but I get your point.' Doesn't stop having to waste time on an education I won't use from being a pain though. In any case, I'm leading the team now, and apparently I'm leading them up against the bank robbers The Golden King and Gigant.

"Well, no, not in the sense that they should be doing it. But we're the only ones who can stop them." This team was going to be trouble, given some of the people on it. How to organize this team... Meeba could take care of herself, as could Sanguine, Black Rabbit probably needed someone to fight with but would handle himself fine once going, Sammi almost certainly needed someone to watch her back, and Psychosoma was a bit of a mystery as of yet. An appealing mystery. "Okay team-Sammi what are you doing." Oh no.

"Meeba, Sami, they know what they're doing is illegal, you don't need to tell them!" Wait, did they? Was that in the Superheroic Law book somewhere? She couldn't remember reading that. "Probably." Okay, you've got to think fast Claire. Split this group up. Sammi and Sanguine were the obvious pair, but she wanted Sanguine on Gigant, and that seemed a little too risky to put Sammi, but... ugh. "Sammi, Sanguine, go after The Golden King and his Knights, Meeba, Psychosoma, you're with me on Gigant. Black Rabbit, start with Sammi and Sanguine, if either of these guys have powers you might need to switch to focus them specifically, but for now make sure none of the knights get out of here with the money. Alright, All-New Alliance, let's move!"

My executive decision was that I wasn't going to risk anyone else on Gigant just yet, he seemed the most dangerous by far. Meeba can probably absorb the blows by being gooy, and Psychosoma should be able to hang back to support from a distance. Narrowing my eyes at Gigant, I step forward, hand falling to the hilt of Snicker-snack, the other already holding his sheath. I step forward, and blur, appearing in front of him in a very fast movement. "Stop." And then my blade lashes out in a gleaming black streak, cutting for his chest armor.

[19:48:42] <GodFish> directly engage Gigant
[19:48:51] <GodFish> !r 2d6+2
[19:48:51] <Krysmbot> GodFish, 5+2 = 7
Going to take his armor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None

I step forward, and blur ---------- and appear one step forward from where I was, looking over at Psychosoma with a puzzled expression, my blade an inch out of my sheath. "...Really?" Gigant looks way more threatening... I can feel my blade humming with impatience in my hand, eager to be unleashed and to bite into these villain's. But if she's right... I reach out to Snicker-snack, questioningly. 'Is she right? Whose the bigger threat here?'

[16:34:01] <GodFish> assess the situation
[16:34:04] <GodFish> !r 2d6-1
[16:34:04] <Krysmbot> GodFish, 7-1 = 6
if someone spends a team to make that a 7, I'll ask "what here is the biggest threat?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

I glance over at Psychosoma again as Snicker-snack finishes his analysis. Why'd she mess that up? Hmm... she can read emotions, right? So maybe she just picked up on how giant his ego is? You'd have to have a giant ego to walk around in a suit of armor like that... "You're just picking up on his ego I think, we need to focus on Gigant!" I call back to her, turning to look at the fight again. And I let out a sigh. Meeba and Black Rabbit have been listening, but Sammi AND Sanguine are both fighting Gigant instead of The Golden King... At least they're doing a good job.

After this fight we're going to have to talk about what being the leader actually means, but for now... "Oh well, I guess I'll go after him anyway. Psychosoma, provide support for both fights whenever you spot a chance." With that I rattle Snicker-snack in its sheath to loosen its blade, and step forward again, vanishing from my spot to appear in front of The Golden King, sword nearly an invisible blur as it slices his armored breastplate into pieces.

[19:48:42] <GodFish> directly engage GigantThe Golden King
[19:48:51] <GodFish> !r 2d6+2
[19:48:51] <Krysmbot> GodFish, 5+2 = 7
Going to take away his armor!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

That first exchange went well enough that I even felt comfortable enough to let out a laugh, that was a great first round! We've really got Golden King riled up, he's going to keep making mistakes, and he probably won't even remember he just wanted to take the money and run. That satisfaction fades fairly quickly though, as cries from my teammates and an alert from Snicker-snack make it clear that the plan is falling to pieces rapidly. Sanguine was under attack by some kind of kung-fu master, Psychosoma was running after the illusive Phantom for some reason -why is she even here?- leaving just Meeba and Sammi to deal with Gigant. Crap crap crap.

I leap upwards, soaring into the air above the fight for a moment and stare down at the scene, trying to figure out what to do. By the time I land, I think I've got a plan. "Black Rabbit, you keep the King busy, okay? You're doing great so far!" I'm sure I can count on him for this, with any luck he won't have to for long. Sheathing my sword as I land, I fall into a low crouch, leaning forward, and push off hard. Blurring forward, I come to a stop at Gigant's side, arcing the blade out in a fast slice towards the meat of his leg. Taking it off would be ideal, but a cut is all I need to get ready to bring him down. As the sword bites in, I bring my empty hand up, holding it palm open towards the cut, and start to pull. Life force, visible as floating lines of transparent wavering, like very small heat hazes, and blood together start coiling out from the wound, pouring through the air in a small spiral like water down a drain, as it gets sucked in towards me, filling me and my blade with energy. No matter how bad the cut is, this leg shouldn't be working too well at all now.

[15:28:01] <godfish> directly engage Gigant (assess bonus)
[15:28:04] <godfish> !r 2d6+3
[15:28:05] <Krysmbot> godfish, 9+3 = 12
Taking mobility, creating an opportunity

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Potential: 1/5 | Doom: 0/5 | Conditions: None

Ahh... I can feel Gigant's life force running through me like an energy drink, refueling my tired body. The drain of Snicker-snack's constant feeding on me doesn't wear me out, or weaken me exactly, but whenever I'm full of someone else's energy, I can feel the difference, like waking up after a very restful night's sleep. It's a good feeling. What's less good is the humming, deadly blade in my hand, calling out for Gigant's blood. I squeeze the hilt hard, my hand getting sweaty now. 'We can just lock him up, right? He won't be able to...' The moral debate gets cut short early, as Sammi darts forward with a golden van and starts wailing on him. I leap backwards, blurring to land in a crouch on the hood of a car to watch the show.

That was... surprising. If she could do that normally... why did she act so scared and mousy all the time? As if to demonstrate that point, Sammi is back to sobbing again, until Sanguine -finished with his fight I guess?- carries her away. As the scene plays out, Snicker-snack speaks up again, the slick quality of his mental contact slicing its way into my mind. Kill him. Is this right though? He's a criminal. But human. Who knows how many people he's hurt, how many he's killed. Is that justification? I can't quite tell how much of this is my thoughts and how much is Snicker-snacks right now. All the arguments sound both right and wrong. I blur again, standing next to his fallen body, my hand steady on my blade, having drawn it half out of my sheath. No. DO IT. He's a -murderer-. I can feel it thrumming in my hand, practically dancing, pulling itself towards him, eager to taste his blood, and rid the world of one more evil soul. I've never had to do this before. It's always been... hypothetical, a discussion of ethics, never a practical choice. Kill him. But I'm looking at him, unconscious, if he was awake... fighting back... A threat. Isn't this just as bad? Well no, even I know that's a false equivalence. Even so, I can't do it. I slam the blade back up to it's hilt in the sheath and turn away. Snicker-snacks voice cries out in rage in my mind, but I try not to listen. I'm not killing him like this.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Potential: 1/5 | Doom: 1/5 | Conditions: None

I harden my face, forcing myself not to show the ripple of pain running through me, or the weakness it's left behind. Starting to sway, I steady myself on some nearby rubble with one hand as subtly as I can before I start moving again. I need to see if Black Rabbit is doing alright. Walking that direction slowly, I force myself to take deep breathes, I'm not showing this weakness to anyone, not the team, and not the crowd starting to swarm around. This was... I think it was the right choice. Snicker-snack might have his moral ground, but so do I. If only he'd asked while it was still a fight, and not an execution...

Still, it looks like Black Rabbit managed to talk down the knights and take out Golden King mostly on his own. I give him a smile as I return to the fight and take it in. It's good to see I judged something in the fight right, that I could safely leave him to handle all of them. For all the damage Sammi did to Gigant, I doubt she'd have done as well here. "Good work Black Rabbit." I look around at the knights. "Jail for these guys then?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"No. No deals." That came out harsher than I wanted, my head is still aching from Snicker-snacks anger, my body still exhausted at it's toll. I soften my expression slightly, and my voice. "Sorry. Look, if the police put them on a ... good behavior plan, or whatever, that's fine. But we are not letting them off, we're turning them in. No mercy for criminals." I reach up, rubbing my forehead hard, trying to force this headache away with sheer physical pressure. Mercy takes different forms, I suppose. No mercy here means getting them locked up, no mercy for Gigant meant killing him. Snicker-snack seems to think so, at least he isn't yelling at me to kill them, and I can feel a faint sense of agreement with my words themselves.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"Looks like they handled it." Hopefully they handled it well, it's hard to tell from here. But either way, the press is leaving, which is good. I don't like them much. Looking down at Snicker-snack with a small frown, I run my finger absently along the hilt. I'm not really angry with it, more... puzzled. That is odd. I suppose Phantom being behind it makes the most sense, but, why, and how? Is there some connection between her and my sword? I don't understand it, but I suppose that means I'll need to talk to Soma about whatever Phantom was up to.

With a small sigh, I turn back to face the team. It looks like we're about done, the cops are here to take the knights in, and everyone is being friendly and talking. Except me. It feels like I've been stuck at the outside looking in ever since I was bound to this blade, and being made the leader didn't do anything to help. Running my fingers through my hair, I step forward and put a smile on my face. "Alright team, good work everybody!" And there I go, separating myself a little more, the leader. "We should be heading back to report then." I can feel myself getting locked further away, but... I can do something about this, can't I? I don't need to let it happen. "After that, we're going out to get pizza and celebrate our first mission - my treat." Does that help? I hope so.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Potential: 2/5 | Doom: 1/5 | Conditions: None

"You're in for a treat then, pizza is one of the wonders of the world." I can feel warmth spreading through me the moment Psychosoma takes my hand, and I squeeze it back happily as she leads me to the others. Maybe I'm not an outsider, at least not to her. Or we're both outsiders together or something. I don't know. It feels good holding her hand, and it feels good that someone brought me in. She's an empath, right? I hope she can feel my gratitude - and I REALLY hope she can't feel what's under that. Though I kind of do

...I don't let go of her hand, either.

Marking potential

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Getting close to people ...isn't a good thing, really. I'm going to die, and that'll just hurt them, the people I care about. But... I'm giving up my life to fight a world destroying demon. I'm allowed to be a little selfish, even if it hurts people, I'm going to get close them if I can. Which is also why I'm going to put off talking to Soma about Phantom until tomorrow at least. And the rest of the team about their things. Tonight is pizza night!

Whoomp. "Huh? Oh, hey Sammi." Looking down I reach out and rustle her hair lightly. "Don't worry about it." It's hard not to think of her like a little kid, I wouldn't normally have done that with someone my age, but it looks like it worked, since she actually started looking me in the face. She seems to talk to everyone else's feet. "Thanks, you did a good job too." And here's Sanguine, never seems to be far away. The two of them are like a shark and a moray eel or something. "It all worked out, Golden King was even weaker than I thought so I was able to take your place." I AM going to have to talk to him about this Dragon Fang character too, but... Later. "Alright, it's a little earlier than I thought since we got left off, but lets go get that pizza! Sanguine, can you take Sammi, find Black Rabbit and head to the arcade? I'll go look for Meeba and Soma."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Judging from the way everyone (except Black Rabbit) is acting towards the pizza... this was possibly the best idea I've ever had. Though it is kind of weirding me out. Like, it's just pizza? Even Sanguine who seems almost as normal as Black Rabbit is acting like it's this great temptation and pure bliss, or something. Trying to ignore the extremes everyone is going to, I just sit down and eat a couple slices and drink a nice large cup of root beer normally, looking up from my meal a slice later when Soma invites someone over. I don't really mind, one more person isn't going to break my pizza budget, but I'm not made of money either (just made of a college fund I'll never be using), even so, I smile at Bunny Bane, giving her a welcoming wave to confirm Soma's invitation, and then catch Sanguine's eye. "Red Leaves? The only way your round will be going is down." Grinning, I head over to the machine, floating a slice of pizza and my half-full Rootbeer along with me. "I hope you know what you're doing, I play in here a lot."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"You're on." Settling into position at the controls, hands shifting into a practiced grip. Something about Sanguine seems a little off though - on edge. A little too serious for a friendly match of Red Leaves. Well, probably Pyroclasm. Everyone's heard about how they have some stupid rivalry going. Leaving the buttons alone for a moment, I pluck my root beer out of the air to take a sip while I navigate around the character selection screen considering my options. If Sanguine's gonna go for The King of Red Leaves, I'm not going to be ashamed about making a counter pick. That's why you don't pick first! Floating my drink back into the air, I select Right Hand of the Dragon Fang, my new avatar doing a flip and then a flurry of claw-like strikes at the air in his direction. "Ready?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"Huh?" I start to squint as the characters to try and figure out what he meant, but the match is starting, no time for that now, going in for the attack! And if you think I could focus on that AND the match, you'd be wrong - but not because of the obvious reason. The real reason is that as soon as we start playing, Snicker-snack chimes up again, butting in constantly with 'advice'. It's like having the worlds most annoying backseat video-game driver talking directly into your head where it's impossible to ignore. After completely bombing the first round in a spectacular enough manner that I'm sure Sanguine is convinced I've never played this before I glare down at it, "oh my god, just shut up for a round, PLEASE!" ...I just said that out loud. "Er, not you Sanguine." Detaching the sheath from my side, I set it down on an unused arcade box a few feet away, which doesn't actually do anything to stop it talking to me, but it's the gesture that counts - and as we start round two, I think it got the message. "Sorry, I'll do a decent job this time." And this time, I'm actually free to focus on something that's been bugging me since we started. As the round ends, I look over at him suspiciously. "Alright, what's going on here? That was definitely your moves in there."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Alright, this is enough of this.

Leaving the console I walk over to the group again - now centered around a dog (why is there a dog) - giving Sanguine's arm a light squeeze as I pass by, as a substitute for actually talking to him about his backstory, because before I could the whole party exploded into strange dramabombs. It's not nearly as heavy as mine, but this isn't really a contest, and it's definitely a close run thing! His should be easier to fix though, all we need to do is have other people fight his Patriarch and then we don't need to worry about it. Anyway, I'll talk to him about it later.

Holding onto this label shift until it makes any sense fiction-wise

"No. Any 'practice' wouldn't be, there's obviously too much bad blood there, just try and avoid them. If you want practice against other powered people, you can train with each other or other teams, but not them." I give them all a stern look - except Meeba. "I mean it. No fights, 'training' or otherwise."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"Dooooon't even worry about it Rabbit." I clap him on the back. That prank sounds pretty funny honestly! "Meeba's got the right idea, we'll just go somewhere else tomorrow and it won't come up. She'll forget about it after awhile." Since that might not be comforting enough, since he looks pretty down, I add in a confident smile. "And if she still tries to make trouble, I'll have a talk with her." Pretty sure I can scare her enough to back off.

[01:36:52] <GodFish> comfort/support Black Rabbit
[01:36:54] <GodFish> !r 2d6
[01:36:55] <Krysmbot> GodFish, 9 = 9
Potential, label shift, clear condition

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Potential: 2/5 | Doom: 1/5 | Conditions: Insecure

I give Bunny a nudge with my elbow, grinning when Bunny Bane asks him out, barely restraining myself from going 'ooooooooh' or something similarly childish. Still, good for him! I can't help but feel a little jealous though, having someone who wants to go out with him. And speaking of someone who I want to want to go with me... "We're not supposed to have 'superior teams' though, this isn't a contest. Anyway, if they actually wanted to be rivals that'd be one thing, but Shrike obviously just wanted a chance to hurt Black Rabbit. Besides that, us winning would just make them more angry." And I wouldn't be able to fight any of them.

Why is she questioning me on this? Everyone else thought it was a good idea - but she's am empath, can she tell something I can't? I frown back at her, thinking. No... even if there is, this is right. We shouldn't be fighting other heroes, even if they are assholes. Even if fighting them would stop the stupid rivalries. Which it wouldn't. I think. I shake my head, look into her eyes and open my mouth - I want to ask her to prom, but... this isn't the time. Shutting it, I turn back to Sanguine. "Over here, if you've got a minute?" I gesture back to the arcade machine we were playing at.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Potential: 2/5 | Doom: 1/5 | Conditions: Insecure

Back at the arcade machine with Sanguine, I settle my hands on the controls to make it vaguely look like we're playing and not discussing heavy topics about cult indoctrination and stuff. That said... I don't really know what to say. "Hey... well... Sorry you had that happen to you." We both know what a fat lot of good sympathy does for anyone. "We both got a bunch of poo poo heaped on us weather we like it not, huh? But hey- you see that Patriarch guy around, if he's here, just let me know. You might not be able to fight him, but no reason I can't, right?" Reaching over, I pat the hilt of Snicker-snack where it lays on a nearby booth. "Just like how you'll help me with my demon, I'll help you with yours. But we're going to have to train together so I can handle your schools style." Removing my hand from my sword, I pat him on the back instead, giving it a couple good solid supportive slaps, and smile. We'll take care of our problems together, that's what teams are for!

[22:32:13] <GodFish> comfort support Sanguine
[22:32:15] <GodFish> !r 2d6
[22:32:16] <Krysmbot> GodFish, 7 = 7
The usual

Also: Label Shift!

Freak Down, Mundane up!

GodFish fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

That's... a bit of a relief to hear. I thought I'd been doing a good job, but Soma's reaction back there had been making me doubt it. My smile probably looks a bit relieved now. "Really? *phew* That's good to hear. It's not nearly as stressful as I thought it'd be, but it kinda feels like I'm stuck being a bit distant, not seeing it quite the way you all are, you know? So I'm glad to know I'm doing a good job." Grinning now, I glance around the place, he's right! "Well... one more game of Red Leaves and then we'll head out." Turning to the others I raise my voice a bit, "Alright everybody, one more game then it's about time to leave!" Turning back to the console, I crack my knuckles theatrically and get back on the controls. "Ready... to DIE?"

Clearing Insecure

• Locked thread