Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I tried it recently again and couldn't remember most of the buttons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Evil Eagle posted:

Arrow keys? :dogbutton:

obv o is the superior movement key but do you use numpad or hjkl for fine tuning?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Evil Eagle posted:

Nice. No Swamp is always cool imo.

Swamp > Shoals for sure

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Average Bear posted:

Level 24 now, 2 runes and in the Vaults... I'm on a roll. I'm playing on the Georgia server if anyone wants to watch

I joined and you died 30 seconds later.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'm off the wagon. Taking this HOBe all the way to D:6

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Average Bear posted:

Haha I never fought the slime boss so I didn't expect that kind of rear end whooping. Always carry at least one blink scroll

it crushed me my first time as well. He's still one of the enemies I'm most scared of.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

beogh is bae

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I really need to play more of this game, it’s good but I’m incredibly bad at it and can never get more than a few levels in. I’ve been playing a lot of ToME but having to go through the same boring early dungeons every time is starting to p*ss me off so it’s time for a change.

There's a few simple things you can do to improve quickly, namely make sure you fight in areas that have been explored and kite enemies towards them when you discover them; use O for movement as that will stop you as soon as you find an enemy; use exclusions on dangerous enemies (I think the command is Shift+X, then move the cursor over them and press X) and that makes sure you won't wander into their line of sight by mistake; make sure you're manually training skills in the way someone said earlier (first main damage source, then survivability is a good rule of thumb); and if you're in a dangerous situation make sure you take all the time you need and consider all options and moves carefully.

Some races and classes are much easier than others as well - Hill Orc or Gargoyle Berserker is a good straightforward combination and has the benefit of starting with a god so you don't need to worry about choosing one later on.

e: I find the game's difficulty curve is strange in that most of the time it's pretty easy with sudden extreme spikes that can arise very unexpectedly.

Aston fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Crimson Harvest posted:

Anyone have some 'get better at the early game' advice? Most of my characters get to the Lair or Orcish Mines but generally die to simply being overwhelmed. I hate fiddling with fiddly things so I haven't played any casters yet, but I feel like that might give me some escape options.

Aston posted:

There's a few simple things you can do to improve quickly, namely make sure you fight in areas that have been explored and kite enemies towards them when you discover them; use O for movement as that will stop you as soon as you find an enemy; use exclusions on dangerous enemies (I think the command is Shift+X, then move the cursor over them and press X) and that makes sure you won't wander into their line of sight by mistake; make sure you're manually training skills in the way someone said earlier (first main damage source, then survivability is a good rule of thumb); and if you're in a dangerous situation make sure you take all the time you need and consider all options and moves carefully.

Some races and classes are much easier than others as well - Hill Orc or Gargoyle Berserker is a good straightforward combination and has the benefit of starting with a god so you don't need to worry about choosing one later on.

e: I find the game's difficulty curve is strange in that most of the time it's pretty easy with sudden extreme spikes that can arise very unexpectedly.

• Locked thread