Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Problem description: So I've got myself a second GTX 970 (the first is a Zotac and the second is a Gigabyte, I'm told this shouldn't be an issue), hooked it up bridge and all, yet I can't enable SLI because Nvidia control panel is still saying I need to connect the cards with a bridge.

As you can see, both cards are detected but it just doesn't think they're bridged.

Attempted fixes: I've updated drivers and double checked that both have up to date drivers. I flipped the bridge around, and also tried using the inner ports instead of the outer ones. I bought a new bridge and nothing changed; tried both at the same time too. I've swapped the cards into each other's places. I've looked in the BIOS and found nothing about SLI (as far as I can tell). All the SLI ports look clean and intact.

Recent changes: Nope

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64 bit

System specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150
CPU: i7 4790
GPU1: Zotac GTX 970 4GB
GPU2: Gigabyte G1 Windforce GTX 970 4GB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Check for a BIOS update maybe?

I don't have much experience with dual cards (support or use at home), but BIOS update might be a good place to start.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

MF_James posted:

Check for a BIOS update maybe?

I don't have much experience with dual cards (support or use at home), but BIOS update might be a good place to start.

Ok my BIOS version is from 2014, so I went here to update it, but upon trying to run the .exe it just says it's not compatible with my computer. Trying to run the .bat, it says it's not compatible with a 64bit OS. I tried the latest 2 BIOS versions on there. There is no option to filter by OS.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Your motherboard probably has a feature to update from a USB drive. Make sure you've got the BIOS for your model, throw it on a USB drive (usually it wants it formatted FAT32) and see if there's an upgrade option from there.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

DOOMocrat posted:

Your motherboard probably has a feature to update from a USB drive. Make sure you've got the BIOS for your model, throw it on a USB drive (usually it wants it formatted FAT32) and see if there's an upgrade option from there.

Yeah I managed to do this and unfortunately it had no effect. Probably just gonna replace the new card with one of the exact same model as the old one.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Ok now I have 2 Zotacs, exact same model. Still doesn't work. I tried switching out the original card with the new one to remove it from the equation. No luck. What is going on here?

To summarize:
- Problem persists no matter what 2 cards I'm using, out of 3. All have no problem being detected and working on their own, but nvidia control panel thinks there's no connector.
- All have updated drivers.
- BIOS has been updated.
- I've tried 2 different SLI connectors, even both at the same time, flipping them around too. Tried both inner and outer ports as well.

:confused:

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 14, 2017

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Page 19 of the manual: Do you have the cards in the x16/x8 slots, with the cables plugged into the x16 card?

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z97x-sli_e.pdf

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

DOOMocrat posted:

Page 19 of the manual: Do you have the cards in the x16/x8 slots, with the cables plugged into the x16 card?

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z97x-sli_e.pdf

Yes to both.

e: looks like a new driver released yesterday. I'll see if that does anything, not getting my hopes up though.

e2: nope

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 14, 2017

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I give up. I'm selling the cards and getting a 1080.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

El Jeffe posted:

I give up. I'm selling the cards and getting a 1080.

This is probably a better choice. Dual cards present another point of failure (actually multiple) and depending on what you're actually doing, you might not see a lot of benefit.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

MF_James posted:

This is probably a better choice. Dual cards present another point of failure (actually multiple) and depending on what you're actually doing, you might not see a lot of benefit.

I'm seeing several different types of the 1080. Any reason I shouldn't go with the Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0, which appears to be the cheapest one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

El Jeffe posted:

I'm seeing several different types of the 1080. Any reason I shouldn't go with the Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0, which appears to be the cheapest one?

That's the MSI one, right? I have a version of that. They're all the same chips, with different clocks and coolers. I like MSI's coolers myself.

• Locked thread