Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bored posted:

She is actually watching it. No questions, no texting people, just watching the show. I'm not sure I've ever seen her this rapt in a show.

Welp, that's my story. Bye.

It really is one of the most unique shows on TV. Definitely not like other genre shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The weakness of season 1 is that it starts much more off the rails than it ends and some of the “promises” set up in the pilot and ep. 1 just peter out. Daniel’s psychosis tapping into his mutant abilities and warping the world around them was more severe and psychedelic and as the show goes on he becomes more of a pew-pew super hero (culminating in like a literal Goku energy ball fight).

My biggest wish for S2 is they try to get back to weirder expressions of his ability.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Bust Rodd posted:

The weakness of season 1 is that it starts much more off the rails than it ends and some of the “promises” set up in the pilot and ep. 1 just peter out. Daniel’s psychosis tapping into his mutant abilities and warping the world around them was more severe and psychedelic and as the show goes on he becomes more of a pew-pew super hero (culminating in like a literal Goku energy ball fight).

My biggest wish for S2 is they try to get back to weirder expressions of his ability.

It was obvious that he still has the capacity based on what he did to those goons when Shadow King was in charge of his body for a bit. He just has to learn to get to it without losing control.

I'm also worried about the final minutes of the season finale. It seems like a setup for a different show or at least a completely different genre. It came out of nowhere. I guess that makes about as much sense as anything else that happened.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The end was definitely puzzling. I have no idea where they're going from here and I don't know it that's a good or bad thing.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Binged this show over the past week and just caught up on the thread. drat. That was some wild eight episode ride, holy hell.

I don't think I've seen it mentioned, but in addition to all the other subtle(ish) nods to the X-Men origins of the character (such as the various Is), in the forest fight scene, Cary (gently caress, Kerry?) appears to be wearing essentially a classic blue X-Men style jumpsuit. At least, that was my takeaway.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Rewatching this with my girlfriend. Or rather my ex girlfriend because that gently caress didn't like this show. Fucker makes me sit through greys anatomy and she thinks this is bad.

(I kid but she really has horrible taste in what she watches)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's hard to recommend this show to people who know about X-men because I find a lot of people don't like comics Legion, and find it hard to believe a show about him would be interesting.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What's wrong with comics legion?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I havn't read the modern stuff but he's kind of a very different character. Straight up non verbal autistic in his first appearances. More of a setpiece or plot hook than a character

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
And in the Ultimate X-Men he is a truly horrific villain

He mind controls one of Proffessor Xavier’s old girlfriends, uses his powers to rend time and space asunder and eventually Collossus, thinking quickly, crushes him under a city bus like a cockroach in the split second he is distracted my Ice Man impaling him.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Comics Legion has gotten a lot of love in recent years, including his self-titled book by Simon Spurrier which probably helped this show see the light of day.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I've been having fun recommending this show to people while purposefully avoiding any mention of X-men or mutants.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That is absolutely the best way to do it. I got so many people hooked on this show because I described it like that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, sadly, the majority of people I know know who legion is.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Clicking this thread every new message thinking it's season 2 details

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, sadly, the majority of people I know know who legion is.

The comics aren't that bad. They probably watched Batman V Superman or Justice League, or worse suicide squad, Legion [The TV Show/really any form] is way better than that

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Slightly Absurd posted:

The comics aren't that bad. They probably watched Batman V Superman or Justice League, or worse suicide squad, Legion [The TV Show/really any form] is way better than that
When I heard about it, I just thought how tired I was of superhero comic materials in general, let alone how generic a lot of the stuff had become, especially with how defenders would go "No, this one is different in style because XXXXXX" and I would watch it and find those claims to be heavily overstated. If I hadn't googled Noah Hawley after finishing with Fargo, there is zero percent chance I would have gotten around to watching it.

Bust Rodd posted:

While I loved what Legion did for the first season, my biggest complaint with it is the same as with a lot of these series in how they feel compelled to jump to "the world is in peril because of a big bad entity" as quickly as they can. I think they could have drawn out the "how much is it legitimate superpowers and how much is it he's an unreliable narrator with schizophrenia" narrative for much longer.

Same with Jessica Jones. Maybe it's just me, but I would have been satisfied with a whole season or two first where you just watch a functioning alcoholic detective who just happens to have super-strength solve minor mysteries in New York.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I also weirdly wanted Jessica Jones to have some more procedural elements even though I hate procedurals. It would’ve worked better to pad out Marvel’s unnecessarily long seasons than stretching the Kilgrave arc did.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
There are some very short Legion clips in FX's promo commercial (link to where Legion starts).

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Hell Yes

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I need season 2 immediately.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pussy Quipped posted:

I need season 2 immediately.

Yes. In the most literal sense possible. Get David to beam it directly into my brain.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
You need a mutant to insert memories of you having binged the entire season last week.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Why would anyone want fake memories over real experience? It's a pretty common refrain on these forums that people wish they could watch their favourite shows blind again, having the memory implanted would just put you at that point without ever actually experiencing the show fresh. Even real memories are never as good as the actual experience

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Ok, I just saw the first episode of this. I really liked it, but is the entire show like the pilot, where its really non-linear? I am ok with not always knowing whats real vs. not, but the jumping around was a little annoying.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

swickles posted:

Ok, I just saw the first episode of this. I really liked it, but is the entire show like the pilot, where its really non-linear? I am ok with not always knowing whats real vs. not, but the jumping around was a little annoying.

It gets more clear as the show progress.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

swickles posted:

The pilot is by far the hardest episode to follow.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Cool, thanks. Will check in when I am done with the season. I just hope the rest of it is as "Wes Anderson's X-Men" as the pilot.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
My wife and I are planning to re-binge watch season one before season two. I wanted to start last night, but she said "I can't do the first episode tonight. That episode makes my head hurt." So, it gets better.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

swickles posted:

Cool, thanks. Will check in when I am done with the season. I just hope the rest of it is as "Wes Anderson's X-Men" as the pilot.

The penultimate episode is a loving masterpiece. Report back after you watch that one.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

From Aubrey Plaza’s instagram:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pussy Quipped posted:

Hell. Yes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Those are some confident shorts.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Germaine sucking in his gut so hard there to not look like dadbod

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pussy Quipped posted:

A leg in April? What a cryptic message!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bust Rodd posted:

Germaine sucking in his gut so hard there to not look like dadbod

He's pretty skinny now. I saw some press images of him at carpets and interviews

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm surprised they got both back, I feel like Aubrey blew up pretty hard after Legion aired.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

algebra testes posted:

I'm surprised they got both back, I feel like Aubrey blew up pretty hard after Legion aired.

She was a main character on an extremely popular cable TV show that ran for 7 years and has been working steadily since it went off the air 5 years ago. She just successfully crossed over from the cutesy-twee crowd to the nerd crowd, so she will automatically be more online since Parks & Rec fans probably don’t have an online community outside of a sub-reddit whereas every nerd/comic book/gaming website talked about Legion.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

She was a main character on an extremely popular cable TV show that ran for 7 years and has been working steadily since it went off the air 5 years ago. She just successfully crossed over from the cutesy-twee crowd to the nerd crowd, so she will automatically be more online since Parks & Rec fans probably don’t have an online community outside of a sub-reddit whereas every nerd/comic book/gaming website talked about Legion.

What reality are you living in? Parks and Rec was network TV and pulled way more viewers then Legion ever has or will and the internet was obsessed with it, it catapulted the career of almost every single person on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

socialsecurity posted:

What reality are you living in? Parks and Rec was network TV and pulled way more viewers then Legion ever has or will and the internet was obsessed with it, it catapulted the career of almost every single person on it.

Yeah the point I was making was that Plaza has been very famous for like 10 years +, LEGION had nothing to do with it, she’s just getting a different kind of coverage now that her fan base opened up to include nerds.