Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Lid posted:

The David is a rapist plot point clashes hard with the episode where we spend meandering in She's memories for showing she's an unrepentant rapist herself that claims that these scars build character while people around her go to prison for her manipulations but in no way judges her. It's blatantly hypocritical but more so the show has become everyone are unlikable douche bags except Cary and Kerry.

"Rapist is a hypocrite for not liking being raped" is the hot take I didn't realize I needed today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
No it's that the show creators have us to sympathise with her view of our scars make us stronger but she is placed without judgment while also being a rapist. It wasn't meant to be a hot take it was meant to be the show doesn't have a consistent internal logic. To me the show is putting David as a villain protagonist but currently most of his ex-friends are villain antagonists as well and it's not some complex relationship of right and wrong like a Breaking Bad but that it's a pick and choose of who the writers decide should be judged or who should be sympathetic for the same crimes and actions.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Stop reading TVTropes

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

David is a grown rear end man and Syd was still a kid.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Except the point of her episode as an adult she's unrepentant for her actions and consequences portraying them as making her strong and we are to sympathise with her. In season one we knew the bare details and it was "This is messed up" but in season two it's he was framed for being a child rapist and she relishes in the harm she's caused for being character building.

I'm sorry but the shows lost me on it's questions of morality when I'm just "you're all dipshits" but the show thinks not all of them are, just the ones they want to be the bad guy at that moment. I can't see them digging their way out of this hole they've written themselves into no matter how many Jon Hamm monologues we get.

I loved my psychedelic mental illness complex supernatural drama but it's just become a caricature of what made it great. All substance no soul.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I didn't actually want rape hot takes so you can stop now thanks

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Yeah, no one does. But this show did definitely portray at least two rapes, so it's gonna be a topic of discussion

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Three - Lenny explicitly stated Farouk repeatedly rapes her. It's unavoidable to discuss and if you don't want to consider it because it asks hard questions of the show you think is good and making you look forward to season 3 then ok but don't just start shouting "hot takes" like there's some moral relativism here when the position of others is everyone is hosed which is moral absolution.

It's fine to love a controversial show dude but you can't make it not controversial because it makes your position uncomfortable.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lid posted:

Three - Lenny explicitly stated Farouk repeatedly rapes her. It's unavoidable to discuss and if you don't want to consider it because it asks hard questions of the show you think is good and making you look forward to season 3 then ok but don't just start shouting "hot takes" like there's some moral relativism here when the position of others is everyone is hosed which is moral absolution.

It's fine to love a controversial show dude but you can't make it not controversial because it makes your position uncomfortable.

I was talking about your weird hateboner for Syd and calling her unrepentant & just as bad as her rapist, but nice dodge

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

flatluigi posted:

I was talking about your weird hateboner for Syd and calling her unrepentant & just as bad as her rapist, but nice dodge

this ain't it chief

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

flatluigi posted:

I didn't actually want rape hot takes so you can stop now thanks
Dude's posts are interesting. You don't have to read them if they bother you.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

They're weird posts because they're overly concerned with guilt and sympathy and the intent of the show's creators. I think the show is not particularly concerned with whether a given character is a 'goodie' or a 'baddie', or whether we as an audience find characters 'likeable' or not. Which is, you know, good.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
That would be fine except those are explicitly what Noah Hawley talks about in regards to the show.

quote:

I mean, for me, the whole show started with this idea, even before I had assigned a character to it. It was just: What can I do in this genre? I felt like, for the genre to be great, it would have to be a great show regardless of the genre. I thought, Well, it would be interesting if it was a supervillain story on some level. To say, How do you take a character from a sympathetic place to an unsympathetic place?

That doesn’t mean that David is going to stay there, because obviously, in the X-Men universe, characters cross back and forth. You have Magneto, who, sometimes he’s on the right side, and sometimes he’s on the wrong side. 

I mean, look, it’s controversial. I don’t know what the conversation will be, but I think it’s worth having the conversation about consent and about the fact that there is no justification for acting without another person’s consent. And, as she said, “I’m the hero and you’re just another villain.” On some level, that’s the story of the show. The question is, is there any redemption for him coming out of that? And where do we go next?

Syds the hero, but David can be redeemed - that's what the writers story is. Except to me having taken in the whole season that is wrong because at this point none of them are heroes and it isn't because of some moral complexity it's because they decides we need to make David a rapist so he is a villain in the viewers eyes. And God help us with trying to walk this back because they can't without a cop out that would piss off fans like you and flat Luigi.

I've said my piece over how the show is inconsistent on yes guilt and sympathy but it's because it's actually important to the show itself. Having David have no guilt over raping Syd is the entire point of why it's a bad action, and if this gets flipped to oh he's mentally ill he can't understand that it's a whole other can of worms.

No matter what way you cut it this is poor poor poor writing and I can't think of anyway they redeem David or God help us try and redeem Farouk. He'll I'm wagering the show ends with David using reality warping to ensure he's never born thus redeeming himself through self annihilation. Which, again, is a loving lame story but God help them try and redeem David via he's good again when He and Syd make up, or the worst the whole rape thing never happened and it's Farouk's machinations.

This is a controversial move but it's the bad sort of controversial, it's the controversial of suddenly having sesame street go into a storyline of Oscars heroin addiction. Edgy, pushing boundaries, and driving people away at rapid speed going what the hell is this why is this here.

In conclusion

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Not that Hawley's words are especially important, but I think in that interview he is more interested in "hero" and "[super]villain" in the sense of self-image, rather than his or audience judgement and pronouncement. The comparison made is to Fargo, specifically the moments when even the cruellest and most venal characters turn around and say "but wait, aren't I the victim here?" Hawley plays on that dissonance, especially in relation to the idea that sanity is a social construct.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Affi posted:

No I agree my big question was “did he make her fall in love with him to start with?”
The writing seemed really, REALLY bad when Syd was up against Melanie halfway though the season and she starts going off on how she's going after "My Maaaaan"...

Only for David to drop the same phrasing when he's confronted by her. It's too weird to be a coincidence, I hope.

I missed S1's trippiness, which was more in service of David's fractured self.
The more traditional plot (must track down and defeat evil before bad thing) didn't quite lend itself for the crazy.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I really wish they’d go more into different personalities with different powers. That could be fun.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Invalid Validation posted:

I really wish they’d go more into different personalities with different powers. That could be fun.

Watch Doom Patrol.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
Just binged both seasons and the thread. Confused why people are calling David's mindwipe rape "an abrupt turn." In the pilot he kisses Syd against her will and well stated wishes. He does it anyway because he's a selfish rear end in a top hat and it gets Lenny killed.

Also I think Future Syd's actual plan was to kill David herself but he sees this plan and is why Lenny is there not only to ring the fork but also to stop Syd's bullet while he is depowered. I find it hard to believe that was an accident/coincidence. I mean why not have her shoot Syd or Farouk. Maybe he thought the mindwipe would reset everything. :shrug:

Anyway. I think this show is great and look forward to binging s3. Welp, those are some thoughts, thanks for reading. I'm off to watch Fargo. :tipshat:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

The writing seemed really, REALLY bad when Syd was up against Melanie halfway though the season and she starts going off on how she's going after "My Maaaaan"...

Only for David to drop the same phrasing when he's confronted by her. It's too weird to be a coincidence, I hope.

She's been calling him that from episode two or three, since way back when.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm a little heartened by the fact that Hawley is at least thinking about if a character can come back from what David did (and as people mentioned earlier, it's to the show's credit that the actors for both David and Farouk are truly excellent at getting you to at least consider their side). Because a TV show is going to have to do a lot, especially in this cultural moment, to have a character commit sexual assault and then have another season where you might try to rehabilitate him.

All the slowness and random bits don't bother me but I've been inoculated from watching The Americans. The show's at least earned a last season to see how things play out -- I just wish there weren't so many loose threads, like Oliver's threat and plan. If those end up playing out next season that seems like a bit lovely.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Given David's motivations for doing what he did, I don't think it is out of the question that he could be redeemed. But I think the more interesting story is how everyone around David helped turn him into a villain due to their selfishness and ignorance.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Dreylad posted:

I'm a little heartened by the fact that Hawley is at least thinking about if a character can come back from what David did (and as people mentioned earlier, it's to the show's credit that the actors for both David and Farouk are truly excellent at getting you to at least consider their side). Because a TV show is going to have to do a lot, especially in this cultural moment, to have a character commit sexual assault and then have another season where you might try to rehabilitate him.

All the slowness and random bits don't bother me but I've been inoculated from watching The Americans. The show's at least earned a last season to see how things play out -- I just wish there weren't so many loose threads, like Oliver's threat and plan. If those end up playing out next season that seems like a bit lovely.
What exactly is Farouk's "side?" Like, I know the show is trying to blow my mind by making me think "what if the villain is the hero and the hero is the villain!" but how is Farouk supposed to be a good person from what we've seen him do over the course of the show?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Yeah David's actions aren't great but "maybe my friends have been compromised by the powerful psychic who tried to kill me and is currently sitting in the room with them" isn't a huge leap of logic

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Xand_Man posted:

Yeah David's actions aren't great but "maybe my friends have been compromised by the powerful psychic who tried to kill me and is currently sitting in the room with them" isn't a huge leap of logic
He raped his girlfriend in one of the previous scenes, so giving him credit for consistent internal logic seems odd to me.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Cugel the Clever posted:

He raped his girlfriend in one of the previous scenes, so giving him credit for consistent internal logic seems odd to me.
As much as anyone who spent half their life in a mental institution could I guess :shrug:

I was specifically referring to Farouk being part of the confrontation at end of S2 and the idea that it could be viewed as sign that maybe he's going to become a 'good guy' after all as a opposed to a talented mindfucker who doesn't need to use his mental powers to make people dance like puppets. David has been consistantly portrayed as an emotionally stunted schizophrenic; it does not excuse what he did but it's also not hard to see how Farouk orchestrated a series of events designed to push David off the rails.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Noah Hawley apparently released a trailer for his first film, figured this thread might want to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2riLPWRwr0
https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/19/lucy-in-the-sky-trailer/

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

IUG posted:

Noah Hawley apparently released a trailer for his first film, figured this thread might want to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2riLPWRwr0
https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/19/lucy-in-the-sky-trailer/

I think that's peak Hawley right there...

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

What exactly is Farouk's "side?" Like, I know the show is trying to blow my mind by making me think "what if the villain is the hero and the hero is the villain!" but how is Farouk supposed to be a good person from what we've seen him do over the course of the show?
A "good guy" in the sense of David becoming a worse bad guy. David being far more powerful, crazy, and justifying all his actions more and more instead of examining his faults.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The third and final season will premiere on June 24th.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Season 2 bluray when?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oasx posted:

The third and final season will premiere on June 24th.

Oh thank god it's ending.

night slime
May 14, 2014
https://twitter.com/LegionFX/status/1125437575840145408

Cool season 3 poster. The account's hinting at a trailer soon.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Dreylad posted:

Unfortunately, Syd is pretty clearly guilty of rape herself (ie: her mom’s boyfriend), and both the writers and many viewers seem to have given her a pass on that because she was a lonely disturbed teen. So we’ll see if they deal with David’s rehabilitation any better; I hope they do.

e: oops, that was an old post. Sorry about that!

Majorian fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 7, 2019

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
navid negahban is so loving baller in this

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Season 3 trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8Vl1fuGn1A

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gonna need more cylinders to fire on

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

goddamn

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Looks interesting, but... as an audience member, I'm a bit lost as to who to root for?

Is anyone going to be likable this season?

Serf
May 5, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

Looks interesting, but... as an audience member, I'm a bit lost as to who to root for?

Is anyone going to be likable this season?

root for the most entertaining character

which is why you should support the shadow king

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am never a fan of Alice In Wonderland imagry, it feels so cliche and hackish for anything weird. But i'm into 60s guru david.