Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

General Dog posted:

That pilot was so good that I kind of just want to walk away now. Whatever the show ends up being, I can't see it living up to this, even if it's still very good.

I think I've figured out what's going on, but I could be way off.

I think everyone he's interacted with among his "allies" is an alternate personality, and that each and every one has a different mutant power, which is why he's so powerful and unpredictable. If you watch that escape sequence, nobody is shooting at his comrades, and people are just.. exploding; one of his allies "shoots" some people, but that's it for interaction.

I mean there's some definite holes with what happened at the mental ward but I'm still convinced that is, more or less, what is going on. The name Legion fits exceedingly well on that front. The devil with yellow eyes isn't too far off from how you'd describe Nightcrawler, so I'm not even convinced that personality is evil, just telekinetic.

Also if that is the case, those scenes are kind of masterstrokes; they take on a whole different perspective if he was just running by himself and murdering like 100 guards, rather horrifically. Either way I'm really hyped for the rest of the series.. it started a little too weird and I hope it didn't drive off too many viewers because about 20 minutes in it felt like it got into full gear.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

My friend thinks the ending credits music of this show sounds like the 90s X-Men cartoon theme.

For a while I thought someone stole Ramin Djawadi of Game Of Thrones and Westworld (esp. Westworld) fame from HBO.. (well that and System Shock 2 and Thief 1/2, which I found out recently!) but it turns out it's not him. I really dug the music, both the creepy stuff and the real cyberpunk vibe stuff. I want the soundtrack now.

ED: No seriously, I want the soundtrack, is it available anywhere yet?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zythrst posted:

People sure do like to get judgy about everythingavatars recently huh?

Edited for you, and the answer is yes!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Escobarbarian posted:

best be for another forum mah'fucker:

Dear lord tell me this show is doing OK in the ratings and hasn't put people off with how insane it is.

It's like David Lynch directed a superhero show at his prime.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yellow eyed man is too silly looking to be that scary, especially with his goofy laugh that accompanies him.

The fingers coming around the wall were a nice touch though.

I kind of believe we're jumping to conclusions on the yellow eyed man. We think he's evil because he looks kinda hosed up and a little unsettling, but this is the X-Men universe, that has nothing to do with a character being good or evil. It could be some manifestation of his mind that's protecting him or something.

Angriest boy in the world is loving horrifying by comparison. I doubt there will be much good in him.

Chokes McGee posted:

David's major trigger seems to be intense, Hulk-style emotion. Lenny leveraged it for good (astral projection to find his sister), whereas Fat Guy does Very Bad Things™ with it (horizontally bisecting Lenny).

I don't know, I don't think that's it entirely. Remember Lenny was hosed when his powers were in the hands of someone more sane.

I think emotions falling out of control is only one half of the puzzle.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 1, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This show's awesome, hope it sticks around a while.

Dmitri-9 posted:

What is Kerry's superpower, abuse magnet? Seriously what was that fight scene?

I was waiting to see her do some serious beatdown stuff and for like 1 minute she was pulling off a River from Serenity.

Then she proceeded to just get rear end whooped and nobody stayed down. Why the hell would you ever send her into a combat situation?

What's more, why would you do that when the person she's tethered to takes all the beating at the same time? Why not just send both at that point?

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 2, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fork bomb posted:

Suppositions:

Lenny (female) was real at clockworks. Syd has seen her before she and David switched powers. TYED has convoluted davids memories and now he thinks it's Lenny, not benny, in his past experiences.

TYED is "wearing" a Lenny skin to now communicate with David, and this disguise is "safe" to him so he doesn't question it much.

I think Benny was turned into Lenny as some kind of, like they said, "guard dog." Likely by memory alteration and not him just being nuts.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mikeraskol posted:

I'm so pissed you got that avatar idea first. I've been due for a change for a while and loving love that frog image.

It's times like this I miss forum gangs, then everyone could rock the frog.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Catsplosion posted:

The angry boy chases Syd and young David towards the vent and then the demon slinks through the vent after them. I think the angry boy was a way the parents used to control the demon they knew was inside of David (or possibly his power in their eyes) but the demon was far too powerful to be ruled by davids fear and is now using that against him. It's pretty clear the parents drilled that story into his mind often before bed.

I wonder if the Angriest Boy in the World is actually the villain. If the dog King was an incarnation of Lenny/Benny, it's possible that the angriest boy is actually a manifestation of David's own rage and anger on a sub-conscious level.

So far the only time we thought it was a villain is when his dog went "missing" and he found this horrifying thing instead, with the implication that it killed the dog. But if the dog isn't real and is actually an hostile entity or personality, it's possible it's actually not what it appears.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

Also this is still the scariest show on TV and I can't think of a rival other than the odd episode of Twin Peaks. It's appointment TV.

You're not kidding. It's a better horror show than any horror show I've seen in years when it gets dark.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Regarde Aduck posted:

She did say "who teaches us to be normal when we're one of a kind?".

She knows it wasn't normal. But she's not normal. Her life, including sexuality, was never going to be normal.

Horny teenagers swapping bodies to get sex is totally understandable if ethically horrifying.

That was a pretty screwed up, horrifying story that explains why she's like she is in some regards. It's also pretty sad, because while what she did was horrible, this is a kid who literally could never even hold someone's hand desperate to feel something. The fact that she suggests that she never did anything like that ever again is telling.

I'm guessing a phobia of mutants is why she never tried anything freaky but less immoral later on. Given her powers seem to stop working once activated (at least, I don't think they musical-chairs things), I can definitely picture some.. strange but not really immoral ways around that problem involving a willing surrogate body or straight mind-swap.

Still, props for them coming up with a backstory that's one part tragic and two parts hosed up.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

B33rChiller posted:

Makes sense. Although, my comment was intended as a commentary on what the actual product usually ends up being, rather than why it ends up looking so lame. You have sparked my curiosity though. Do you have some examples of high quality stuff out of Vancouver? Like most things cultural/technological/political, the :canada: version of something is usually a mediocre, store's house brand, knock off of the USA version.

A huge amount of stuff is made there:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Television_series_produced_in_Vancouver

A lot of stuff that is mid-grade, and a few really solid choices. The only one that stands out to me where Vancouver hurts it is Fear the Walking Dead, which is a loving hilariously bad show worthy only of hate watching (seriously it makes the core WD look like Shakespeare) because it was supposed to be set in LA and didn't even look a tiny little itsy bit like it even from a passing POV.

Still probably some two dozen shows I've personally watched on that list and a lot of notable classics and ongoing shows that work really well. Just I think Vancouver is much easier to pass off as Chicago or New York City if you plan on filming outdoors. (Other stuff, like Battlestar Galactica, it probably mattered less to.. outside of explaining all the woodland planets just like Stargate SG-1). It looks absolutely fine in The Magicians (a far better show than it should be) and was a really nice diverse central location for the X-Files.

ED: I do think the terrain diversity along with filming laws and tax breaks contributes to all this. You've got lots of terrain ranging from urban streets to massive woods, it's a good spot for TV.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 15, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo was that kill one for the ages. That poo poo would be a horror movie classic on par with Scanners in a different time.

Jesus Christ. This show understands horror better than any horror show ever and it's not even one.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elite posted:

Reverse "They Live" was great. Though "these glasses will show what's real" seems kinda silly when everything is a mental projection.

I was hoping someone would put up a fight about putting on the glasses that would take up 1/3 of the episode

It'd been terrible but I'd forgiven it

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I think it's funny that the same "person folding into a cube" death was used in XMen Apocalypse but actually looked better here in spite of having a tiny fraction of the budget. It also mattered a hell of a lot more since we actually knew both characters here, instead of having a nobody villain killing a nobody dude.

The straight up classic Cronenberg effects helped, a lot. That and the fact he was built up to be very powerful and menacing, a threat in his own right.. only to be literally wrinkled up like a newspaper.

And good God the gore effects. Seriously I've said it before but if this happened in some crazy 80s King or Carpenter movie, it'd be an iconic movie scene. It was that well done.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well good news, not only is season 2 a lock, the show's ratings went from mediocre to really drat good for FX.

http://deadline.com/2017/02/legion-premiere-live3-ratings-record-fx-1201910846/

Show's seen a pretty big surge in viewers.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

So this show actually does the best job of simulating schizophrenia on TV, according to a real schizophrenic.

You aren't kidding, this show does a wonderful job of making the VIEWER feel as crazy as David.

This is a really unique show, I can't think of anything at all like it. It might also be the most unique superhero related thing outside of comic books so far, too.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 27, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Henchman of Santa posted:

Emmy voters are not going to give a poo poo about a superhero show

This show really transcends that genre.

I can't think of a single thing even remotely similar to Legion. The only comparisons at all are Lynch and Kubrick, and really it's mostly on the visual side of things.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chokes McGee posted:

If SK shows up as a talking rear end then I think I'm checking out for the rest of the season. :stonk:

I don't know, this show's done enough crazy poo poo I'd still be on board.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ashpanash posted:

But Hannibal was morose and dark and left people feeling uncomfortable. This is much more playful, with an almost Worhol-like love affair with pop culture.

My friend doesn't like it. I think he thinks the plot is silly, because superheros. I think that the reason I love the show is that art is being made here. Who cares about the genre?

He loves Star Wars. And doesn't find that silly. I don't think he's an art fan.

I could see someone not liking it if they hate surrealism or doubting what they're seeing is "real." I know a lot of people like that, and totally get it. I'm not one of them, but that's a legit taste issue.

But to write a show off because of it's very, very basic genre is dumb. You might as well compare Jacob's Ladder to Friday the 13th because they both have horror in the category. I guess it's kind of like how nobody took sci-fi seriously for years.

ED: At least Legion is getting good ratings and good critical praise, so honestly I don't have THAT much to bitch about. It's not as if it's completely being hated and is heading to cancellation, in fact it just locked another season. I just hope they keep the show runner, I don't think it'd last without them.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 29, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ashpanash posted:

That really should have been better.

I agree, I feel like they ran out of time and ended up with "Glowy balls running at each other" when it should have been more. That said it wasn't a terrible episode, just not up to high high standards.

I feel like it was a cop out to have everybody live at the end. That "Bang!" felt like their heart should have exploded; finding out she lived undersold the villain considerably.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Grognan posted:

I'm wondering what icecube's power actually was. Besides making crazy tech and diving into the astral plane?

This is totally the first thing that came to mind

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sticklefifer posted:

I think the real issue is that while power duels look cool on comic pages or in anime where real world rules don't apply, in live action it's really hard to keep them from looking stupid. It's really hard to go full DBZ with live action without getting into Matrix Revolutions territory.

It's something I personally dislike a lot. Ever since the lovely 3rd X-Men movie, where it really summed it up.

X2: Iceman and Pyro used crazy cool powers, doing all kinds of neat things with them. For some idea of how X2 felt to me, the scene where the all powerful Magneto wipes out a whole squad just by pulling pins.. that felt awesome.

X3: Despite being near freezing water and flaming buildings, Iceman and Pyro shoot orange and blue beams at each other while making poop faces

The whole "shooting beams/energy/whatever" or in this case "colliding energy" is dumb, lazy and unimaginative, all things I don't normally associate with Legion. Yes, I did eye roll a bit at it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

McSpanky posted:

I thought that was an intentional subversion, the Eye was an amoral attack dog and the fact that he had powers was kinda immaterial to that, that just made him more useful to his superiors. Meanwhile his working partner who doesn't have powers is a family man who believes in the cause and can be swayed by reason, despite being flash-fried by his enemies.

I really love what they did with his partner. You feel bad for him because he wasn't wrong, David was a huge Goddamn threat to everything. If he ends up ally or enemy, I understand where he's coming from.

And The Eye got the best TV death I've seen in forever. Said it before but that was straight out of a classic 80s horror movie, felt like it belonged in Hellraiser or something.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Escobarbarian posted:

Safety Not Guaranteed is a good movie you should check it out.

I couldn't make myself watch that movie when they took the most perfect premise for an amazing cheeseball time travel movie and turned into a romantic comedy.

I like her as an actress but gently caress that movie forever.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Megaspel posted:

Before Legion I assumed Aubrey could only play one role, I'm glad I was proven so thoroughly wrong. All her movements fit so perfectly well in with the character.

I really do hope she gets more roles and some serious notice on this, because yeah. She's really the show stealer, and Legion's other actors are all really good, so that's not easy.

Though props to Dan Stevens for doing such a good job impersonating her in that one episode.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bored posted:

She is actually watching it. No questions, no texting people, just watching the show. I'm not sure I've ever seen her this rapt in a show.

Welp, that's my story. Bye.

It really is one of the most unique shows on TV. Definitely not like other genre shows.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

They all had terrible ratings but made stupid oodles of money on DvD sales because millennials don't loving sit down and watch TV when you tell us too, MOM!

That's why P&R has a full blown finale and then also a whole additional victory lap season afterwards, they were like "You're cancelled" "ok, lets give our cast the fitting emotional ending it deserves" "Wait, we made 30 million off of DvDs and millions of moms are tuning in because of Pratt's 6-pack, we need another season." "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok?"

Speaking of that era of comedies though slightly unrelated, if anyone here has never watched the Office, end after the big wedding episode.

Consider that the show finale and you'll be much happier. It felt like the perfect place for the show to end and everything after is assssss.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

swickles posted:

Again, I haven't read this thread, but if I had to guess I would say 31 out 35 pages are devoted to this. Also, I amend my previous statement that this is Wes Anderson's X-Men to this is if Wes Anderson and Darren Aronofsky teamed up to direct an X-Men show.

I view it more as an homage to Stanly Kubrick and David Lynch at times. I would be shocked if the people behind the show aren't huge fans.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

double nine posted:

I'm glad Kerry is finally getting some lines that aren't generic "let's fight" ones, also David stop playing with fire and keep Farouk outside your drat mind you smart idiot.

I still have no idea what to make of Kerry.

She seems to have no special abilities whatsoever in combat yet everyone continues to act like she's a super commando.

"Guns, my one weakness!"
"More than one of you, my one weakness!"
"Clubs and shields, my one weakness!"
"A really big mean dude, my one weakness!"

I mean I kind of love that, that the overconfident badass is just "average 20 something girl with some karate lessons," but I'm not sure it's intentional.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 12, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

regulargonzalez posted:

I don't want to be attracted to Tim Curry :(

Now I want Tim Curry to play her father in something. It'd work.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I hope they give SOME explanation why the robot women have mustaches. It's such a strange loving detail given none of it is happening in David's head.

glitchwraith posted:

I mean, it's obvious that whatever Lenny is, she's now a separate entity from Farouk. I'm just not sure I buy that he can entrap people's consciousness without inhabiting their mind.

I think there is a way they MIGHT reconcile this. We've seen a lot of forms with Farouk: The yellow eyed demon, the angriest boy in the world, the goat wheelchair thing, etc. He's jumped into all of them at will, but we've always assumed he just changes shape.

What if they're all remains of minds he's trapped? Like Lenny is just another one of them. He can puppeteer them and hop into them at any time (like an agent in the Matrix, God I hate bringing up the Matrix). That said, right now it seems like a misstep to not just have Lenny shape change to Farouk.

i.e. Farouk is just cruising around in his fat yellow eyed demon suit, decides there's a threat at hand and hops into Lenny to go deal with it, etc? I'm stabbing in the dark but just a (somewhat rough) theory

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Mann posted:

I will never link to TV Tropes or use their godawful terms but this is a pretty common issue with ongoing fiction; you show how powerful a threat is by having them easily defeat your best fighter, only it happens so often that the person who is supposed to be your super badass is constantly being clowned on or taken out of commission so they lose their effectiveness.

GreenNight posted:

See: Worf.

I think so far she's only fought and been trashed in combat by goons and an illusionist. So more like if Worf consistently got beaten up by small gangs of Ferengi (while taunting the God like aliens with badassery)

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pussy Quipped posted:

They were all the obvious red flags surrounding and pointing to David that Syd can't notice because she has deluded herself into thinking they are actually good things.

OK, mind blown, I love that detail.

I also feel confident it was actually the intent, it just went over my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

This is really reminiscent of a stretch of X-men comics done by Mike Carey where Legion creates a parallel world where he's a hero fighting with the X-men against an implacable horde of faceless enemies intent on destroying the last bastion of mutantdom. The gray palette, the ludicrous architecture

I want to know what is in that building in the distance that has multiple hands pointing at it. It'd be amusing if a big confrontation happened there.

Shageletic posted:

I'm thinking it's more the Logan timeline (the movie).

Except there was no apocalypse in the Logan timeline, not for humans. A way was found to stop new mutants from happening and it worked.