Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Finally caught up with the show and the thread.

I thought The Final Battle between David and the Shadow King took place long before they ran down the corridor at each other. That final act was all the Shadow King had left. It was a now-or-never moment and it lost. If it hadn't found another compatible host so quickly, it may have taken it years to recover.
It was just as dependent and David as David was on it.
All that "what will be I be without you, we've been together so long" stuff was coming out of David's mouth, but could have just as easily been the Shadow King talking.
It's used to jumping bodies so it will probably recover quickly, but it was still just freshly dumped out of the most powerful mutant on the planet and was suffering from whatever that hangover feels like.
It was pissed and did not expect to win. I think Oliver was an unexpected turn of events for it and it immediately took advantage of it by getting the hell out of Dodge and away from David.

Other observations. Syd is acting like someone who was emotionally abused finding someone who treats her with something resembling love. She has no idea how this works. She just knows "Holy, poo poo! I can touch this guy! I can have sex! Sex is awesome! Without this guy I can no longer touch anyone or have sex. This guy is everything to me no matter what." Like she's in her mid to late 20s and has never even held hands. Imagine the most repressed Christian you can imagine suddenly being thrust into a liberal college. You go hog wild. She'll get a handle on it and may start to feel bad for some of her decisions.

David is still sick. He's just so much batter than he was with the Shadow King out of his head. We have no idea the extents of his illness or his powers.

Almost every character on the show is written like a real person. They make dumb and rash decisions, they overlook things that are important because they can't be bothered, they get distracted. It's great. Everything, every stupid thing that happened, makes sense.

Oliver seems to be a technical genius? And a psychic? He built the tech at Summerland with Cary (or is it Kerry). I don't know. But I could listen to his sweet voice all day long.

I'm glad nobody else died. That would have been cliché. Maybe murder someone S2E1 just to spice things up.

I really like the new characterization of evil interrogator into dedicated family man with a loving husband (who also works for the evil government).

Also, the license plate on Oliver's car was British, right? Might it be set in the UK? I know, nobody had accents, but Oliver, but it is TV.

No idea what the Pokeball was, though. Wondered why, if they had tech that could contain David and his power, they didn't use it much earlier. I fully expect season 2 to provide a satisfying answer. And also continue to make me cry and question my own sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

flosofl posted:

You base that on?

Oliver being the only person with a non-American accent? Still. Could just be a narrative convention and not how they actually sound or are supposed to sound. Who says they are even speaking English at all?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Phenotype posted:

To be honest, I thought the floaty orb was pretty deus ex machina. That was a level of technology head and shoulders above what we're shown previously, and it begs the question why they didn't use it right away. Or why they have enemies at all, if they can just suck them up into a pokeball. It may be explained really well next season, but out of nowhere it seemed pretty jarring, and felt like a weird misstep.

:same:
Given it's track record, though, I expect there to be a --and excuse me for saying this-- drat fine explanation, drat fine.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

El Jeffe posted:

Why is he still using Lenny's image? Does he just like the look?

Because Aubrey Plaza killed it in the roll. They'll make up an in-universe reason, but that's the reason.
And I agree.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Harry posted:

Is he really being controlled? It seemed more partner like for some reason.

That's how SK works. It plays your best friend. It was literally a dog when it first manifested to David.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
David was the Beast in Beauty and the Beast.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
They could subvert Shadow King and have it eventually become a reluctant ally against a bigger threat, like whatever it was that kidnapped the most powerful psychic on the planet with absolutely no difficulty whatsoever.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Field Mousepad posted:

Yeah Syd went from somewhat interesting to girlfriend status so I get what you're saying there. Other than that every other character in that show had a fuckin good story arc.

But that rear end though....

At least her slide was believable if you realize she's never had a meaningful relationship with anyone because she can't touch them and David seems to be the guy who will put up with that poo poo. Also, Astral Sex Shack. She's straight up addicted to the magic dong by now, I'd reckon. You know oxcytocin, dopamine, endorphines, all that.

Or, it could just be lazy writing falling into tropes because they don't know what to do with her character.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Serf posted:

It took me roughly half the run of the show to realize that Syd was not some sort of agent for these people sent to get close to David. They treat her like she's part of their group.

The mutant group is full of people who don't know how to run a covert military operation. The one dude carries around a Tommy Gun for Christ's sake. And they let Kerry be their muscle when she is obviously a tiny, ineffective fighter who thinks she is better at it than she is.
Just saying, "Sure, Syd, come on in" is pretty believable.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

qirex posted:

I was half-expecting an "and it's all been happening in his head" reveal pretty much the whole season and will continue to for the entirety of this show's run. If anything I think they did less "is it real or in his head?" bits than I was expecting given the character.

As powerful as he is supposed to be, is there a functional difference between "real" and "in his head"?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Runaways is a kids show doodz

Like, obvs. Totally.

Or whatever the kids say these days. It's a really good kid's show, though.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Bust Rodd posted:

The weakness of season 1 is that it starts much more off the rails than it ends and some of the “promises” set up in the pilot and ep. 1 just peter out. Daniel’s psychosis tapping into his mutant abilities and warping the world around them was more severe and psychedelic and as the show goes on he becomes more of a pew-pew super hero (culminating in like a literal Goku energy ball fight).

My biggest wish for S2 is they try to get back to weirder expressions of his ability.

It was obvious that he still has the capacity based on what he did to those goons when Shadow King was in charge of his body for a bit. He just has to learn to get to it without losing control.

I'm also worried about the final minutes of the season finale. It seems like a setup for a different show or at least a completely different genre. It came out of nowhere. I guess that makes about as much sense as anything else that happened.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

swickles posted:

Ok, I just saw the first episode of this. I really liked it, but is the entire show like the pilot, where its really non-linear? I am ok with not always knowing whats real vs. not, but the jumping around was a little annoying.

The pilot is by far the hardest episode to follow.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
My wife and I are planning to re-binge watch season one before season two. I wanted to start last night, but she said "I can't do the first episode tonight. That episode makes my head hurt." So, it gets better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Maybe season one was all in his head after all.