Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I dunno if anyone else thinks this is cool but I watched e1-7 in two sittings with my buddy who has been medicated for schizophrenia since he was 14 (now 30ish) and he says the audio distortion is pitch perfectly tuned to replicate what 'hearing voices' sounds like. Sometimes they are a little fast or too slow but that's always depending on David's mood and the layering of the cacophony of voices was especially reminiscent of his own experience. He believes that they must have had someone with an audio-hallucinative disorder as a consultant because he says it's waaaaaaay too on the nose to be accidental.

So this show actually does the best job of simulating schizophrenia on TV, according to a real schizophrenic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Invalid Validation posted:

Does he get triggered by it? Watching this show with a mental disorder would be weird. I mean besides whatever the gently caress disorder I have.

I put the 1st episode on while he was cooking us dinner andby the end of it he told me that he couldn't remember a TV show ever making him that uncomfortable before because it triggered him so terribly, and that was why we had to watch the whole thing pretty much right now. He said trying to address mental illness in TV is kind of like "going full retard" to quote Tropic Thunder... like it absolutely can be done, but the idea is that its so easy to do it wrong and so very hard to do it right that most attempts fail utterly, so this show not only depicting a schizophrenic but accurately recreating the sensations of being insane for the viewers at home took it to a whole 'nother level.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I've only ever seen Aubrey Plaza play the quiet creepy Lydia Dietz waifu on P&R and one other thing I can't remember so watching her go balls-2-the-walls in this show is immensely (and viscerally) satisfying. You get the sense that the actress knows how to really convey "I can finally cut loose and just do my own thing as hard as I want" because this show is to her what David's powers are to Shadow King

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

FactsAreUseless posted:

She was fantastic in Parks, sorry you missed out.

I'm saying yes she's great there, but as someone whose watched all 7 season 2-3 times, she is almost defined by her reserved mannerism and monotone delivery. We get the teeeeeeensiest little glimpses of her behind the mask like a handful of times at the end, and a bunch of haughty teen angst stuff up front when she starts dating Andy... but we get more expression and range from her in the first episode of Legion than we get from, literally the entire run of parks & Rec, that's why I'm so into her character here.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So did anyone else get this vibe like Oliver was a willing host? He didn't seem to be struggling against SK at all and he's been shown to be an incredibly powerful psychic so...?

Also i'm super certain that the little drone is not a government thing deployed by the burn victim (whose name should be Warwolf, look at his cane!) because it reeks of "why wouldn't you just use that first?' it's pretty clearly alien technology, IMO

Finally my concern is that a huge chunk of my enjoyment from this season was the heavy emphasis on David's psychosis and Dan Steven's ability to act it out. A season where he isn't all twitchy and paranoid seems like it might get too quippy.

Syd's character is kind of destroyed by psychic sex time, because it takes the really interesting part of her character, and clearly the part that would define her every interaction with her partner, and just kind of makes her this permanent girlfriend mode 1-note wonder.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think if we had gotten the Astral Plane Goku vs Mewtwo psychic bubble battle that would have been lame. What we got was kinda lame in a "really?", I literally rolled my eyes when David floated down from the ceiling. I just feel like this episode went out of its way to do all the things the previous 7 episodes went way far out of their way not to do in terms of tropes.

I also agree that Melanie is probably the pyrokinetic, since her apology to Warwolf sounded so sincere before she went into corporate mode.

What I wanted was SK erasing David from his own memories. Like what if we'd seen SK consuming David in pieces. Bam he forgets ever having Philly as a girlfriend, boom he literally cannot remember his parents faces anymore that kind of thing.

I'm kind of just utterly tickled that the most unsettling criminal duo of 2018 is going to be Aubrey Plaza & Jermaine Clement.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like we got that in the different coffin setpieces and David watching himself as a baby.

The Astral Plane is conceptually cool but almost impossible to execute on screen. The big setpieces in this show are there to show David's total control of reality and its physical properties, the body parts and the TK tornadoes of dishes, etc.

The Astral Plane is outside of things like physics and time, and what little we see of it is Oliver, utterly clinging to what he remembers about the Physical realm. Depicting two characters on the Astral Plane as entities or concepts separate from what we understand them to be would take more than an episode to set up. Obviously SK's fat guy body works, but David...

At the risk of sounding like a total Weeaboo, for a great Astral Plane/Matrix boss fight, watch the last two episodes of Outlaw Star. It does a good job of showing how simply distorting perspective can radically change the playing field and make for weird but cool psychic fights.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Giving us a great character in E1, removing him for the next 6 episodes, and then reintroducing him and fleshing him out is another thing I don't think I've ever seen on TV but it was totally awesome and Hoooooray for gay villains and their beautiful adopted son! Heartwarming and also lays the groundwork for "ok so maybe they aren't the bad guys... but who is?"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really appreciate how understated he was. He was creepy, intense, thoroughly menacing, and then right when you just couldn't look past how horrible he was prepared to be, he gets the most gruesome death in the show and all told he has , what, a dozen lines across 6 episodes? I also really can't tell you the last time i took someone with such tight curls so seriously, and I say that as a very curly-haired person.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Chokes McGee posted:

Someone green light a buddy cop movie with her and Gary Busey asap

But one where he plays Aubrey Plaza and she plays Gary Busey

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It is the proud tradition of the X-Men to send barely trained teenagers to do paramilitary black ops with hardly any planning.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Do we have any word on Season 2?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

LoL @ 2017 that I was genuinely surprised this wasn’t due to him being outed as a sex creep

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Henchman of Santa posted:

No reason has been given so there’s still plenty of time for it to be revealed that he is a sex creep

Variety reports that he made the announcement happily because it was a much bigger project that he was way more excited about, so hopefully not.

And I was confused wasn’t Lenny actually a dude and Farouk just reality warped her into a woman to appear more vulnerable?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The more time passes the more I think they filmed the pilot ahead of the rest of the show and their fire starter mutant just got cut for time/casting constraints

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The weakness of season 1 is that it starts much more off the rails than it ends and some of the “promises” set up in the pilot and ep. 1 just peter out. Daniel’s psychosis tapping into his mutant abilities and warping the world around them was more severe and psychedelic and as the show goes on he becomes more of a pew-pew super hero (culminating in like a literal Goku energy ball fight).

My biggest wish for S2 is they try to get back to weirder expressions of his ability.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
And in the Ultimate X-Men he is a truly horrific villain

He mind controls one of Proffessor Xavier’s old girlfriends, uses his powers to rend time and space asunder and eventually Collossus, thinking quickly, crushes him under a city bus like a cockroach in the split second he is distracted my Ice Man impaling him.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Germaine sucking in his gut so hard there to not look like dadbod

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

algebra testes posted:

I'm surprised they got both back, I feel like Aubrey blew up pretty hard after Legion aired.

She was a main character on an extremely popular cable TV show that ran for 7 years and has been working steadily since it went off the air 5 years ago. She just successfully crossed over from the cutesy-twee crowd to the nerd crowd, so she will automatically be more online since Parks & Rec fans probably don’t have an online community outside of a sub-reddit whereas every nerd/comic book/gaming website talked about Legion.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

socialsecurity posted:

What reality are you living in? Parks and Rec was network TV and pulled way more viewers then Legion ever has or will and the internet was obsessed with it, it catapulted the career of almost every single person on it.

Yeah the point I was making was that Plaza has been very famous for like 10 years +, LEGION had nothing to do with it, she’s just getting a different kind of coverage now that her fan base opened up to include nerds.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

hope and vaseline posted:

Yeah Pratt's really the only one who's career exploded, and poor Asiz could have broken into comic auteurism if he wasn't a creep with the ladies.

Aziz wrote a book and got a couple million for two seasons of a popular Netflix show, even with his career in the dumpster he’ll never have to work again.

He is simply not funny enough to get bigger than he already is, IMO.

Chris Pratt pulling the Blade 3 Ryan Reynolds “You’re funny but chicks can’t crank it to your dad bod so here’s 10 million worth of personal training and curated meals for a year and now you are a hot slab of beef” is the secret happy ending of Parks & Rec

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They all had terrible ratings but made stupid oodles of money on DvD sales because millennials don't loving sit down and watch TV when you tell us too, MOM!

That's why P&R has a full blown finale and then also a whole additional victory lap season afterwards, they were like "You're cancelled" "ok, lets give our cast the fitting emotional ending it deserves" "Wait, we made 30 million off of DvDs and millions of moms are tuning in because of Pratt's 6-pack, we need another season." "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok?"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Glover is one the very hardest working people in Showbizness and is even now still concerned that he’ll never elude Bro-Rape.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3zvTRQr7ns8

A video he made like 10+ years ago with his comedy troupe, this was during or after he started writing for 30 Rock and I think after his first season on Community, but at least close by.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh I agree, but growing up in a post-social media environment means that he could literally be walking on stage to accept an award when a gay rights group retweets Bro-rape #RapeGlove and then the very real chance of backlash from nothing.

Also during his infamous Live twitter meltdown from a hotel room he specifically mentions his fear of never growing past bro-rape

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

JawnV6 posted:

Uh, didn't the Marvel folks pay for that? Like they had to explain it on P&R, but NBC wasn't footing that bill.

Marvel paid for him to get buff and NBC used his new found physique and public recognition to push a new season, yes

Edit: This is why Johnny Karate got so much loving screen time towards the end

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Goddam I am so ready for this show to gently caress with my head again

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Wes Anderson’s X-Men looking sharp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Doing a crossover with Legion also risks cementing it’s timeline which the first season was extremely careful not to do