Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Good episode. Not quite as stylish as the pilot, but had its fair share of wild imagery and memorable scenes, especially Lenny trading a stove for drugs (suggesting David knew Lenny prior to being committed). It still feels like we're not remotely on stable ground in terms of what's going on with David. I'm waiting for several other shoes to drop.

one thing that's odd is that, while it seems readily apparent Syd is real, because she's mentioned by the others, nobody interacts with her in any scenes aside from the car flashback. It felt very Mr. Robot in the blocking. I think at this point either Syd is totally real and the show is messing with the people paying close attention, or some hinky poo poo is going on.

also wtf was the deal with Bill Irwin's character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

yeah, uh, I think the super-therapist crew is used to handling mutants that thought they were crazy, and think David is another instance of this. but David IS brain-broke, just not in the way his doctors thought, because you can't comprehend what's going on in David's head without reference to his powers.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

each episode since the pilot cements that Rachel Keller is great, and I expect her to go on to bigger and better things.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

That's kinda like me, except I'm not so much "sitting in mute shock" as I am "applauding and laughing over the fact that this show even exists."

I've done both, at different episodes. I like how every credit music song is utterly perfect to whatever the gently caress just happened. it's good for decompressing a bit and absorbing it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

it was pretty standard, all things considered, but I really liked the first part of the episode being dedicated to the Interrogator/Clark. classic Hawley touch, pretty much, and Hamish Linklater was very impressive. I'm glad he survived the finale, and I hope both he and Jemaine Clement are regulars in season 2.

one thing that has bugged me is that Ptonomy is basically a background character at this point. He got barely anything in the last two episodes! I thought he was going to be more significant, but instead Kerry and Cary got a lot of development.

Honestly, I have to say I liked the finale because I expected a shock death, and yet nobody died, and things were resolved in a way that, while not ideal, made sense and moved things forward in an interesting direction for the future. I am a little confused about the body switching. So, Syd touched David, and both David's consciousness and the Shadow King jumped into her body, while she jumped into David's. Then Shadow King dominant over David jumped into Kerry, putting Kerry in Syd's body. but...when SK in Kerry's body confronts David, it seems to actually be David. Did only the Shadow King jump? I know I'm missing something.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

DrunkPanda posted:

Yup. I liked Melanie's character, but I was hoping she died at that moment to add some drama and tension to the show. Now it's like, are there even any stakes in this show if the big bad isn't willing to kill anyone important?

This "someone has to die" mentality drives me crazy. It's like TV has conditioned us to expect and demand character death to establish "stakes". whatever, Hawley don't give a gently caress about what you expect. Fargo season 2 should've made that clear. I didn't make demands on this show, or try to speculate wildly so that what happened later wasn't as cool as my imagination.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

That whole scene was dumb it was like a conga line of people rushing in to make stupid decisions I'm not sure how dashing in randomly firing the machine gun was supposed to be helping.

not a single one of these people are a trained soldier. They want to fight a war, but they don't have a clue what they're doing.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

flosofl posted:

Yeah, that what's that whole "have you ever tried to unmake soup?" comment SK made to Syd. He planted the seed that if they tried to force SK out of David both of them would die. Syd was absolutely convinced that David was going to die and no one was listening to her.

My take is that was only part of SK's motivations for telling Syd that. The other being he lost control of David and *he* couldn't "unmake the soup" to escape either. I feel the situation was more dire for SK than it was for David. So Syd was SK's Plan B to get the gently caress out of Dodge. I think at that point, SK just wanted out to regroup and get some breathing space to come up with a plan to re-take David and all that power he craves at a later date.

otoh, Oliver himself is implied to be pretty powerful, and on top of that a genius. maybe SK finds him to be a better host?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

DaveKap posted:

Stop me if this conversation happened already but what year do you think this show takes place in? Every time I ask or search, the answer is either "it's supposed to be ambiguous," "it doesn't matter, we're just seeing it through David's crazy eyes," or "the 80s." Yet David's sister asks if she can e-mail her husband, which places it in the late 90s at a minimum. What do you folks think?

19XX, obviously.

but seriously, though, why does it need to take place in a particular year? I kind of like the melange of anachronisms. Based on what we've seen and heard, it is impossible for it to be any year, iirc. There are contradictory facts and references. I love it, but I guess I get why wiki-nerds hate it. Noah Hawley seems to be making it part of his mission to troll those people. :allears: