Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Just wanna say that was the best pilot I've ever seen since the Mr. Robot pilot.

This is Shutter Island mashed with Inception by way of Kubrick and :tviv:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'm wondering what the twist is, beyond the most obvious one suggested. The plot is actually extremely straight-forward beyond the amazing presentation once you parse what's happening.

It's really the presentation that matters above all else. Though everything else was good too.

e: Also, can I ask that no comic book spoilers be posted? This seems like the kind of show with lots of twists and details and I want them to hit me a full force, and probably so does everyone else who has no knowledge of the source material.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 9, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

nate fisher posted:

As I was just telling my wife "That sounds like a homage to 'Run'", and the next thing I hear is the name Syd Barrett. It was such an eureka moment that I can't fairly judge this show.

Medullah posted:

I'm having an old age crisis because I thought "Hah! Syd Barrett, nice reference if not a little too on the nose" and then I realized it may not be an obvious reference to you drat children watching this show get off my lawn

Mind explaining the context for us upstart millennials? What's the significance of the name Syd Barrett?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

how did they get the swimming pool filled so fast? huge plot hole there.

It's not like we know how long he was knocked out for. And being deceived by David's clusterfuck of a mind is part of the ride, so it's really hard to trust much of anything. We just have to accept stuff like this and come back to it if it becomes relevant somehow.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I get the sense that the world style is a product of David's mind. For example, I don't think his sister actually looks or dresses like that, I think he just sees her that way for some reason.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

frgildan posted:

I'm wondering if any of its real. We saw that he hung himself in the beginning. There's a chance this is all just his brain random firing before death.

I mean, it's always a possibility, but I feel like that gets us nowhere. It's sort of like how with the Mr. Robot thread everyone started assuming that literally everything was Eliot's insanity. It doesn't really accomplish anything to assume literally everything to be part of a dream sequence. Or, if you start with that assumption, then there's gotta be something real in there and that's what we should be trying to find, because that's where the story's gonna be.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

From that point forward, all I could think of was Wes Anderson, and not in a good way. More of a "same style without the funding to license more popular songs" way. :( I really want to like this, but some of this indie film arthouse nonsense needs to chill.

If I'd never seen any of Wes Andersons films before, I would be more apt to love it, but I have seen them all too many times for this razzle dazzle to impress me.

Story is great, effects are great, just reel in some of the cinematography and I'll be on board. Mr. Robot got it right, this beats you over the head with it for seemingly no reason.

How did this feel Wes Anderson in any way? There might have been a shot here or there that might have been a bit Anderson-y, but that's it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

None that I know of, although The Hellfire Club uses chess pieces for it's hierarchy, so it might be a parallel.

Did we ever find out what was in the cage when the old man was giving that "farts too loud" comment? It was the immediately before a commercial break, but I don't think there was any answers. He got mad, they gassed him, they tried to electrify him in the pool, but The Caged Thing (And The Helmet On Top Of The Cage) played no further role at all? Even when the resistance were raiding the place, it seems it was forgotten about.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about it. They gave it a ton of attention for like 10 seconds, then never referenced it again.

I'm sure it will come up later on, but it's odd that they didn't do much with it in the pilot.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

I'm still unsure what to think about this show. The individual parts are extremely well done and really interesting to watch, but I feel like it's not... I don't know, cohesive enough. A disjointed narrative is fine for a story that starts somewhere familiar and then breaks down, but I felt like they never really established a base to work from. There's no way to tell what, if anything, is real from the very beginning. There's no weight to any specific element of it because it's so disorienting and surreal right off the bat, so why invest in anything? Why even speculate? I hope it'll start to become clearer soon, but until then it's like scene salad.

I kinda feel you. It's definitely hard to explain. Most of the focus has been people trying to get David to figure out how to get a hold of himself both in terms of his powers and his sanity. David himself is torn between trying to understand himself and figuring out what the hell is going on around him physically, but he doesn't know how to separate the physical world from his chaotic mind. The threat of Division 3 is mostly in the background for now, but I'm sure they will play a more focused role in the plot to come.

I think your best bet is to ask this question: Do I like Christopher Nolan movies? If yes, then keep watching. If "Nolan is an overrated piece of poo poo", then don't.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

ArmZ posted:

cool, I hope this is true

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/10-totally-mental-things-to-expect-from-legion/

It is indeed.

On the topic of David not being an established character... he is? I mean it's not explicitly said but Stevens' performance and the show's direction very deftly tell us everything we need to know about David.
He's jumpy and paranoid (for good reason), and very much accepting of his schizo diagnosis. He wants normalcy, but doesn't want to go to extreme lengths to get it because 1) the nature and strength of his powers prevent that and 2) he doesn't seem to want to cause problems for people, which in turn seems to cause problems for him. He doesn't want to confront his problems, and instead just wants to mitigate and escape from the symptoms.

That's why having people around him that want him to learn to control and embrace his power causes such a strong internal conflict for David, as it goes against the way he's tried to live his entire life.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

It's called hyperbole :rolleyes: Jfc, I was just expressing my frustration (not helped by the nausea and vomiting going on I'm sure). From the reactions you'd think I killed your kids or something. Man, people are stupidly defensive when it comes to comic books. And is the concept of respecting someones requests that involve their personal space really that foreign to you dangerdoom volvo? Like I said, that poo poo is a personal pet peeve of mine so seeing that only exacerbated the annoyance I was already feeling from the weird inception stuff.

You equated an awkward romance to rapist tendencies.

What do you expect.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

telekinetic guy was definitely not real considering they're all "You might be a very powerful telekinetic!" why be so excited if you already have a telekinetic that can throw around boulders and tanks at will?

I think it isn't just that he's telekinetic. He's telekinetic, telepathic, and, as they've now learned, has the ability to teleport objects (as well as himself as the scene with his sister seemed to suggest). He has a terrifying amount of latent potential.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 18, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

I keep seeing ads peddling The Expanse as "Game of Thrones in Space!" and even though I enjoy GoT, that ad alone has made me avoid The Expanse.

That is false advertisement and you should watch The Expanse. It's got great writing for the most part and surprisingly good production design. I think season 2 isn't quite as good so far since it's missing the sense of mystery that permeated season 1, but it's still pretty good and episode 4 brings some of that mystery back.

Legion talk:

People have probably already said this, but the yellow-eyed guy is probably an invader who has partially locked down David's mind. He seems particularly interested in hiding the identity of David's father, and the Angriest Boy book seems to be part of that ploy. Not sure about the purpose of the physical manifestation of the Angriest Boy yet. My assumption is that it's a scare tactic created by the yellow-eyed guy?

Also, Syd can probably see him since she swapped with David for a bit.

That reminds me... that Syd could use David's powers would mean that David's mutant powers are a physical ability inherent to his body, rather than being manifested from conscious thought. An interesting pseudo-scientific implication.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dragonrah posted:

Well yeah. I mean they are mutants whose DNA has mutated and evolved to unlocked unique abilities. The idea that their power is tied to their physical body is sort of the crux of the entire X-men universe.

My thinking is this. Lets say we have a phone with some set of features. We add an OS onto said phone which can interface with only a subset of the features. It is no longer capable of, in any way, understanding information coming from those other features, if any.

On the other hand, we could get swapped into a bat and, if we apply the empirical evidence given by the Syd-David body swap, be fully capable of using echolocation and being able to fly, given time. Even though our consciousnesses were not "designed" to work with the features of a bat's body, we would be able to interface with them and use them. It would imply that consciousness is fully adaptable to its environment, which is wholly different than a computer program.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mulva posted:

There's a binary assumption at work in those examples that might not entirely fly depending on how they work out David's situation.

Yeah, there's definitely assumptions in there. It's more of a potential implication, if you were willing to roll with those assumptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yellow eyed man is too silly looking to be that scary, especially with his goofy laugh that accompanies him.

The fingers coming around the wall were a nice touch though.

Up until the last episode, he was a curiosity. An element of mystery.

But now that we're starting to get hints as to its nature, he's becoming pretty creepy. He's not just manifested fear, he's a literal psychic invader that has taken control of and locked away parts of David's mind, and controls David through irrational fear.