Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

From what I've seen, he doesn't seem to have the whole gimmick that the "Legion" name refers to in this?

Unless that's being saved for later.

Ten to one, they're at least teasing that given that the pre-release has made a big deal about a love interest who won't let him touch her. Plus they look very, very similar, despite the height difference. So I've been assuming that she's another facet of his personality.

(Informed speculation based on trailers, vague comic book knowledge and reviews, but I've spoiler marked it just in case).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That was fabulous. Some real Terry Gilliam vibes going on there (I guess 12 Monkeys is a big touch stone with this show), and some Wes Anderson too.

The show's never going to have the budget to do some of this kind of stuff again, and apparently the cinematography calms down in later episodes (going from the Vox review of the first three episodes), but if it's even half way near this level I'll be super impressed. I'm also excited to see what the show can do when it gets to go to town, budget-wise (i.e. the finales, whatever midseason excitement they cook up).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Did we ever find out what was in the cage when the old man was giving that "farts too loud" comment? It was the immediately before a commercial break, but I don't think there was any answers. He got mad, they gassed him, they tried to electrify him in the pool, but The Caged Thing (And The Helmet On Top Of The Cage) played no further role at all? Even when the resistance were raiding the place, it seems it was forgotten about.

A dog. One of many on this show, actually. In the flashbacks, a model one on the table during the interview, another on top of the Clockworks building.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nawcom posted:

I'm looking through all the bad reviews out of curiosity. They seem to consist of:

- It's pretentious. Trying to be like Kubrick.

Have these people _seen_ Kubrick any time recently? Legion is dreamy and warm. Kubrick's filmography has the emotional life of a stick of chalk. They're both good (Kubrick's obviously better), but they're very very different. Plus, Legion doesn't do zooms.

(Ryan Murphy, on the other hand, loving loves extreme zooms. Chew on that one, critics.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

Syd seemed to survive being in his body without ending the world, too.

She's recovered from that entire ordeal remarkably well. Not sure whether to put that down to deliberate or accidental characterisation -- though you'd have thought she'd have made a bigger deal out of accidentally murdering someone.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
When I first saw the episode I assumed that it was Kerry, if we go by the logic of one mutant = one power. (Barring David, because he's a special case).

But she and Cary seem to have some body sharing thing going on, so that could be the limit of it or they could be some sort of Firestorm analogue.

If not, I assume Melanie Bird has some sort of power, so she could be the pryokinetic, and there was another unnamed mutant down at the sea shore during the raid (in addition to the TK guy, Kerry, Ptonomy, David, Dr Bird and Syd), so they could have done it.

Syd just seems to be able to do her version of body swapping.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

It's never been made explicit but we've seen the mutant powers of every named character but Melanie, so it was probably her.

I think there's another rando on the beach in the pilot, standing on the rock in front of Melanie when the rest of the characters come out to meet her, so I've wondered if it could be him.

I assumed the most recent episode revealed Melanie to have plant based powers, given how fast those flowers she was tending grew.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Tbh, I've been wondering if they've been setting up that reveal with Syd.

It'd redeem some of her really full on, weirdly motivated lovey-dovey stuff that she's been spouting -- she claims she loves him the episode she meets him, and episode two has her so desperate to keep him at Summerland that she promises that he can touch her (despite earlier pointing out that it makes her deeply uncomfortable to even to be touched through her gloves). She's really intense about her connection to him, but seems completely unphased about a lot of the weirder poo poo that's happened, including killing Lenny. Plus the Summerland people are letting her lead missions and are treating her like a high level operative, which is an awful lot of confidence to put into a new recruit. Even Syd's very first scene seems calculated to gain David's trust, with her monologue seemingly more designed to appeal to David than describing anything she's actually experienced. Hell, until the most recent episode we've barely learnt anything about her. She's been pretty closed off from us, narratively.

Going off this logic, I'm guessing that Melanie Bird sent Syd undercover specifically to find David, with the intention of using him to rescue Oliver from the Astral Plane.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

Summerland folks scooped up David's body soon after he blasted Clockworks. It was Syd's brain, and her body eventually caught up, leaving him wandering around the hospital where he evaded Ptolomy/Carry and got scooped up by D3. There's some reference to "weeks," Summerland had 3+ weeks to train and understand Syd before sending her out to collect David. It's not clear when they jammed memories into him, but he trusts her at that point. She's around to be a trusting face, "don't surface until you see me," not necessarily leading the mission.

No, I understand that's what the show's implied. I'm not sure we're not being led up the garden path though.

Or, honestly, that's what I hope is happening. Like I said, Syd's relationship seems really, unbelievably intense, and Melanie seems to be putting a lot of faith in her despite only knowing her for a few weeks.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Syd suddenly being a mutant of note and being allowed to take part in important away missions was incredibly unbelievable. She literally just joined their organisation, and she's effectively leading dangerous away missions (with her only backup being their chief psychologist and a sort of useful ninja who's also their chief scientist's Achilles's Heel), when the organisation has hundreds of more people including a superpowerful telekenetic and a pyrokinetic. Then she spent the rest of the season being basically passive.

Yeah, I'm siding with a lack of consistency on the character.

Field Mousepad posted:

Great point! I had forgotten about that all that no touching stuff. First love/sex and all. Of course she's gonna be smitten by him.

Nah, we heard about her first time, and it wasn't with David.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

Didn’t 30 Rock and Community have atrocious ratings? The better comparison is probably the Office, though I think the P&R cast do better than them too.

To be fair, Community absolutely made the careers of half its cast. Gillian Jacobs in particular, who'd spent about five years playing random bit parts in serious dramas before landing the show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wasn't it fairly obvious what was going on by about episode four last season? Honestly, I wish the first season had been more complicated. The story was really quite simple and there weren't many surprises to be had past the halfway point.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I liked the new sets and stuff, but I really wanted this season to be less slow than the last one.

e.g. what's the point of that super long silent scene with "future" Sydney when the shots before and after that sequence make it clear that she's a fictitious vision implanted in David's head by the Shadow King in order to trick him into helping the King regain his body? Why go to the length of making the scene itself so believable when the surrounding scenes indicate it to be a lie? And why spend all that time suggesting that the plot's going to involve time travel and missing arms and whatever when you've no intention of developing those suggestions?

Or is it not meant be so obvious? Or, potentially, have I gone and taken my own personal crazy pills?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

double nine posted:

The first scene of the episode seems to implicate that the shadow king is being manipulated/imprisoned by someone else (the guy with sunglasses in the Paris office who may or may not be the bald guy with the symbol on his forehead in the nightclub), whose agenda or identity we have no idea about.

That man's the original Shadow King, though, isn't he? He's Farouk. The two people we see at the start are the "real" Lenny and Oliver, who are trapped inside Farouk's mind, which is currently in control of Oliver's body. That's what all those zooms are about -- each time we zoom out through an eye, we're travelling up another level of consciousness or whatever. First we see Lenny, Oliver and Oliver's terrible tan line, who talk about being trapped. Then we zoom out to see the Shadow King, and then we zoom out again to see a possessed Oliver.

quote:

We're dealing with unreliable narrators and characters that are adrift in a sea of uncertainty. Why would the viewer feel any less uncertain? Maybe helping the shadow king back into his body is the less bad of two horrible options, depending on who/what the third party actor is attempting.

The scene leads us to believe that the third party actor is a future version of Sydney. Except it's not, it's the molten delusion chicklet creature which was grown and nurtured by Lenny, back when she was the primary avatar of the Shadow King. (We see this during the scene where the creature was born and John Hamm talks about delusions.) Just before David apparently has a visitation from the future Sydney, the chick crawls under his bed. And then just after the apparent visitation is over, the scene transitions so "future" Sydney appears to vanish back under his bed.

To me that indicated that David's vision of future Sydney was sent by the Shadow King, and would ultimately be designed to aid the guy in his Muahahaha. But yeah, I guess it wasn't as obvious as I thought it was -- or that I've just got it wrong, like I said before. But I don't think I have.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

f#a# posted:

As for future-Syd, I don't think time travel has been entirely ruled out yet, and I do believe that she was benevolent, but there's definitely something David misinterpreted—just not sure what yet. (Yes, I'm aware the scene immediately before this was the delusion monster crawling under the bed)

Both "future" Syd and the delusion chicklet have a mutilated arm, so...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

My wife thought future-Syd's missing arm was a callback to the delusion guy hacking his leg off.

And while that's certainly possible, when you combine the missing arms with the scene transitions leading into and out of the "future" Sydney scenes, I think it becomes pretty clear that she's the baby goo bird.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

I'm agreeing with you.

Oh haha, whoops. My bad. I guess it's that thing where you apparently lose 90% of the meaning inherent to communication when you reduce it purely to the words that you're saying. I'm sorry for misinterpreting you.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 5, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GigaPeon posted:

Why are people saying Real Lenny is trapped in the Shadow King Eyeball Land? I thought SK just used Lenny's appearance to gain David's trust. She's just a girl who's dead in a wall.

And if "being in an eyeball" is code for being trapped, does that mean Oliver is fully trapping SK?

I reckon you're got this slightly wonky. Lenny and Oliver are inside the Shadow King because their consciousnesses have been subsumed by his one. (We can tell they're trapped because they have a conversation about it.) The Shadow King is inside Oliver's eye because he's controlling Oliver's body like a puppet. The imagery doesn't mean the same thing each time it's used.

So presumably whatever Farouk did to Lenny involved incorporating her fully into his consciousness. Her body died but her mind lived on.

(Their souls -- or consciousnesses or minds or whatever -- persisting gives the show a way to keep both actors on after killing off the Shadow King. That's what I figure anyway.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The dance battle being so obviously a psychic battle this season makes me want to go back and look at the Bollywood number from the pilot. Are all the dance numbers on this show the equivalent of fight scenes? Certainly the Bolero number was as well.

Edit: Also, random random guess, but Fukuyama = Farouk's body. I think that's probably wrong though, going by the trailers, and it'd require you to chuck out half the explanations we get for him in this episode, but it's fun to guess.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Apr 6, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Woden posted:

Wonder how they deal with all the chunks of food that drop in there.

Little fish!

Or psychic vacuums.

Or, knowing Legion, psychic fish that fling split food at messy customers.

Edit: just realised that Patrick Stuart is totally going to be in this season. This season's about solving a maze of the mind, one in which the various chattering people are trapped (I suspect due to psychic fallout from David's various battles, like how Cary couldn't help but dance when David was reliving even the memory of that event). The Minotaur is a creature at the centre of the maze. The Minotaur seems to be go carting around on Professor X's wheelchair. The Minotaur is a symbolic representation of Professor X.

If that's a long bow to draw, then absolutely. But I like my shots in the dark.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 7, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Well that's obviously because he penis was sliced off when Syd's clothing reappeared, and not, like, delayed shock or anything.

:thunk:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I honestly wonder if Sydney even tried to offer any. By which I mean that I absolutely understand why she wouldn't but she absolutely wrecked that guy's life.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

night slime posted:

The kids don't get stuck in the monk's maze presumably because they have no core desires, since they're not adults.

I'm not sure this makes sense. Kids have emotional needs too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Serf posted:

Division 3 is just a reference to Freud's 3-part model of the psyche. The cafeteria full of floating boats of desserts is the id and the announcements on the intercom are the super-ego, while the people working in the building (including all the characters aside from David) are the ego.

And the front door is the butt.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

double nine posted:

what's the storage room full of clappering teeth then? A kidney?

Those are some baaaad kidney stones.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm not even sure how to talk about that episode. It was good. Stuff happened. Pretty lights. Sinister sounds.

(What did Syd think she was doing, punching that Minotaur? She's not a fighter. SWAP BODIES..)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

dead comedy forums posted:

Which, by the way, was this supposed to be the last episode before there was the announcement that this season was getting one more?

Yeah, I think I'd have given up on the show if it had ended at this point. It's been a meandering and slow all season, and an ending at a point of so little purpose would have lost me. Build to a climax guys, not an inevitability.

(This episode, ironically, proved that the show could do that if it wanted to. It just, apparently, does not. Hopefully they'll build on this momentum next week.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Really? I thought the fight scene was a disappointment. I thought the choreography was good but man I hate slow mo. (better than shaky cam, I will give them credit)

The thing that killed it for me was the incredibly slow leadup to the hand to hand stuff. We get it, they're using the bolas as bullroarers. Sound bad. can we move on please?

In my mind, the choreography was particularly impressive because it was the first time I've been able to buy Kerry as a legit fighter, rather than as an overexitable kid who gets shot a lot (Season 1 fight) or unimpressively OP (the alternate universe episode where she slices David in twain). She was good, and she was robbed of victory by that clown car plug hole.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I did not enjoy it, though I did enjoy the way they found ways to reference it in the last episode or two.

I do think I'd get more out of it on a rewatch, but I suspect that I wouldn't get that much more.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating; the show's characters just aren't strong enough to support a full episode's focus. So episodes about David's transtemporal relationship with his sister, or a deep dive into Syd's conciousness, bore me to tears. And that's before you get into the decision to take a quarter of your episode's real estate dramatising an event we've already heard about in monologue (Syd's rape of her mother's boyfriend).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Affi posted:

No I agree my big question was “did he make her fall in love with him to start with?”

The dance sequences are how the show dramatises psychic powers, yeah? Like Oliver vs David, or the sing off in the finale, or even the Bolero sequence.

So I think the Bollywood number in the pilot might have been David doing something to Syd.

(They still haven't explained the floating feet either.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

he totally did mind gently caress her. they meet for the very first time in their lives, he asks her to be his girlfriend right then and there, this woman who has very big issues with intimacy and being touched, and she says yes. that is not a thing that happens.

And she's suddenly an X-man too.

I appreciate that the show is probably taking a bunch of the unbelievable material from early season one and justifying those choices. I just wish they'd have done that back in season one, as it's a big part of why I bounced off the show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

The writing seemed really, REALLY bad when Syd was up against Melanie halfway though the season and she starts going off on how she's going after "My Maaaaan"...

Only for David to drop the same phrasing when he's confronted by her. It's too weird to be a coincidence, I hope.

She's been calling him that from episode two or three, since way back when.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think it's pretty clear that David has been manipulating and controlling Syd since the very first episode.

She goes from being a woman who doesn't like being touched to his perfect girlfriend in a single music number (i.e. psychic phenomenon).

Whatever else is going on with Farouk, and it's possible that a lot else is going on, David has absolutely being playing with her mind.

Beyond anything else, he's clearly drugging his cultists this season too, and was strongly tempted to drug Switch. He's not into consent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ersatz posted:

She's the sanest character on the show, and she finds herself in some pretty extraordinary circumstances. Did you find it difficult to identify with her?

I wouldn't say she's normal. She's got a borderline schizophrenic thing going on with her robot drama. Though I don't doubt that someone who used timetravel to fulfil her father's wishes would lack a sense of selfhood.

Also, I reckon that she's definitely related to the general from last season. Joining up with the Forces of Multiplication is just another way of rebelling against her dad. No wonder she sees something in David, they've got shared Daddy Issues.