Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm having an old age crisis because I thought "Hah! Syd Barrett, nice reference if not a little too on the nose" and then I realized it may not be an obvious reference to you drat children watching this show get off my lawn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

ViggyNash posted:

Mind explaining the context for us upstart millennials? What's the significance of the name Syd Barrett?

Pink Floyd member who went a little bit crazy. He was the inspiration for the song "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" and album "Wish you were here"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWGE9Gi0bB0

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Affi posted:

It does seem like Syd should be real. Since they did swap places and the bad guy wants Syd as well.

Telekinetic guy, Tommy gun guy and emo chick are probably not though!

Yeah Telekinetic dude is most definitely not real. That's the "he would be the most powerful mutant in the world if he could control his power" type thing for sure.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Part of me wonders if they're going for a twist with Oliver being the big bad. When Melanie was describing him, she said he "found a place he could control, where he was in charge" or something along those lines.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Black Is Black posted:

Is there any chance the big bad this season isn't Shadow King?

I think they made it pretty clear this episode that it's the Shadow King. I'm just hoping for a twist of some sort. After this week we know that Lenny/Benny/King/Angry Boy is the same person and the one hiding in David's brain, and the big fat dude was the one pyrokinetically blasting everyone to hades and back. Is it possible him and L/B/AB/K are separate bad people? And as I posted earlier, I wonder if Oliver is somehow related as well - being "trapped" in the Astral Plane and all.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

ArmZ posted:

i just realized the eye was in fargo season 2. i knew he looked familiar

As was Melanie and Syd. :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

datingvolcanoes posted:

Really, I'm just glad I live in a world where Aubrey Plaza is the Shadow King.

I want to go back in time and tell myself, watching the first season of Parks and Rec, and say "See her? That's the loving Shadow King, and it's going to be amazing".

Then I'd of course have sex with myself, because that's the true use of time travel.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Would be way better without the text

Agreed, no need to make a statement when you have an amazing gif like that. :D

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Haha this was the first time I saw that guy. Is he in other episodes?

Henchman of Santa posted:

He's in the first one

Just rewatching the dance scene, and there he is.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I wonder if David makes a deal with Lenny to help him learn his power (save everyone next episode) - won't free him completely, but won't keep him trapped. Season 2 keeps Lenny locked down, but still there. Because, really, can we have season 2 with no Aubrey Plaza?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Lenny is a manifestation of the shadow king so I doubt he can keep her and not the SK

No, that's what I mean. I just used Lenny as the name - I wonder if they'll keep a "neutered" SK in his head. They've done it before in shows, like Crowley in Supernatural - weakened version of the original in an "uneasy" alliance.

I can see them doing that. "I can't get you out of my head permanently but I can keep you restricted." Hell, it might be preferable - if he let's SK out, he'll take over someone else - David can keep him under control, so he keeps him around.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Patrick Stewart has already indicated he would be down for it. I think the real issue is studio negotiation.

I thought Stewart said he's done with Professor X after Logan?

Edit- Source

Medullah fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 31, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Klungar posted:

I know Hawley said multiple times that this was not a puzzle box show, but I still was expecting some level of rug being pulled out from under us in the finale that didn't really happen, and I was kinda looking forward to having my mind hosed with.

Same. I was disappointed with the finale because honestly, it was just so *normal*. With all the crazy poo poo that's happened in the first 7 episodes I was hoping for some craziness - especially with the end of last episode having David's eyes turn yellow, which made me think he made some sort of deal with SK to save his friends. And while the totem pole of soldiers was cool, and I really DID like the angle they went with the burned man not being all out evil and out for vengeance, it really didn't seem that different than any other comic show.

And clearly David lost the paranoid part of his paranoid schizophrenia because with everything they knew, a random floating robot sphere would scream "DANGER DANGER RUN AWAY" to me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

savinhill posted:

Also, more things to be expounded on that were running subplots/elements, especially things like The Angriest Boy in the World, David's missing and replaced memories(drug buddy Benny, psychiatric session) and maybe his sister. I even thought they might expand and tie some of them together more neatly when it had David and SK Lenny in front of the various pivotal scenes of his life we've seen before.

Actually I think that's one thing they did VERY well - they went through the rotation of memories that the SK forced himself into and he disappeared one by one as David was fighting off the SK with Cary's machine.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

flosofl posted:

Do people think he Matt Berry look like each other? I don't really see it, but concede others might.

Man I don't think so, but I'm also a huge Flight of the Conchords nerd and had to google who Matt Berry was so maybe I'm biased.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Combed Thunderclap posted:

The series never explicitly names or explains who the pyro is, but the only mutant-affiliated person who hasn't had their powers revealed is Melanie. But it's also possible that Melanie is powerless and someone else was involved? No one knows.

Going to spoiler since Pellisworth is watching

It's David/SK. When he goes back to get his sister, the aftermath of his visit is people teleported into walls and there's videos explicitly showing him blowing people up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I said it earlier or maybe in a different thread, but wasn't it David/SK? When he went after his sister there was video of him charring people to death.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aubrey Plaza apparently went as Wednesday Adams. Might just be her normal outfit though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pussy Quipped posted:

From Aubrey Plaza’s instagram:

A leg in April? What a cryptic message!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

ekeog posted:

:colbert: what if this theoretical character is nigh invulnerable while he's blasting though?

What do you mean *nigh* invulnerable? HE'S IMMORTAL

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Didn't it choke her at the end? Skin to skin contact is skin to skin contact.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I had a dream last night where Farouk implanted himself in the head of Shawn from Psych. It was very entertaining and I'm proud of my subconscious for coming up with that one.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

With it being confirmed that season 3 is the end, I say just hold out for the complete series

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Goofballs posted:

Was Syd holding a tooth at the end? and did that belong to Switch?

Offhand it seems like there is something where David can't protect himself from Syd. She wastes him 2 times and you can see other randoms shoot at him and not really get anything done even when he doesn't see it coming. Maybe its degrees of people he cares about who can do him harm because kerry got to chop his arm off. Or maybe its the end of scarface twice.

When she was time traveling earlier she wiggled a tooth. Guessing that means each time she jumps she causes damage to herself

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mostly enjoyed the show but them talking about monsters that eat time just made me think of the somewhat decent Stephen King short story The Langoliers, which also was a terrible movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_2LpM3gNj8

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

What did the Karys say to each other at the end there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

night slime posted:

She called him brother

Okay I thought it was "lover" which bothered me because I never saw their relationship like that.