Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm still unsure what to think about this show. The individual parts are extremely well done and really interesting to watch, but I feel like it's not... I don't know, cohesive enough. A disjointed narrative is fine for a story that starts somewhere familiar and then breaks down, but I felt like they never really established a base to work from. There's no way to tell what, if anything, is real from the very beginning. There's no weight to any specific element of it because it's so disorienting and surreal right off the bat, so why invest in anything? Why even speculate? I hope it'll start to become clearer soon, but until then it's like scene salad.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Mulva posted:

He's one of the least likely characters to ever get a tv show in the entire X-Men universe, because literally every moment of his existence is a ridiculous mindfuck. Like you can't have his super power and ever truly be sane and human. You get to choose one, and that's it. And I don't know how you convey even a fraction of that while keeping people invested, but it should be fun to see at least.

While that is definitely true, my issue is more that you engage a viewer by showing your character's "ordinary world" in act one. We got a quick montage of his childhood, but that was it. His psyche wasn't fractured until his powers manifested, if I'm not mistaken, so I feel like some expansion of establishing his character and his life could've gone a long way before shifting into woo batshit territory. Like, until they said the word "sister" I had no idea if the woman seen in his flashbacks was his mother, sister, girlfriend, or caretaker, and it felt like that was on purpose. I like shows with mystery, but I feel there's no reference point to start from, so I'm not as engaged as I could be.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Mulva posted:

That's exactly what you are getting. There was no happy, normal childhood.
That's not what I'm talking about. "Ordinary world" doesn't = happy and normal, it's a storytelling term that means to set up beats at the beginning that give glimpses into who or what you're about to follow - establishing setting, familial relationships, some kind of history, etc. We as viewers were never told anything about David or the history of the fictional world around him outside of that brief montage, and the nature of the show so far is that you already can't trust anything you see.

I don't want it to be the archetypal Hero's Journey either, and I do appreciate the attempt at something new, but even weird and surreal shows with unreliable narrators like Mr. Robot still established Elliot's loneliness, anxiety, and drug abuse before shattering its reality. Hannibal didn't get into the magical realism immediately. Pushing Daisies did, but it told you up front what you were getting with its high-concept plot. With Legion, it's like Pushing Daisies didn't tell you, or that Hannibal started with season 3's abstract surrealism. So far I haven't yet had the sense that anything is supposed to be real, so I'm doubting ALL of it. There were never any ground rules, so there could be a cartoon space dragon living in the tears of a giant in the next episode who tells him that the first two episodes were a dream. As I've said, that's all very intriguing, it looks great and has a great cast and all that, I just haven't been given a reason to invest in it. Welcome to Legion, where everything's made up and the points don't matter.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The first few times they showed the Angriest Boy from far away, I mistook his open mouth for a pushbroom mustache. Now whenever they show him, I can't shake the idea that people in David's subconscious mind are being chased around by Bighead Hitler.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

verdigris murder posted:

The gay undercurrent of David being Lenny's catamite was actually tastefully inferred, instead of just showing rough scenes of homosexuality.

Violent molestation being the deep dark thing he doesn't want anyone to know about and manifesting as really hosed up mental issues and fractured reality would actually make a whole lot of sense.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

King Vidiot posted:

Having never seen Parks & Rec or anything else Aubrey Plaza has been in, I never understood people's (goons') obsession with her. Now I get it.

Life After Beth is pretty good too.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

This was the first episode where the weirdness tipped over into actively annoying imo. Shame :(

e: but not the dance and final scenes those were rad as poo poo. mainly I just think this shouldn't have taken up an entire episode
I'm enjoying it, though I do feel like the show gets too stylish and deliberately abstract for its own good sometimes. There's a fine line between a cool/unique aesthetic and a masturbatory one, and at times it feels like the latter. It's the Tarantino Effect.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Production's moving to California.

https://variety.com/2017/tv/news/legion-lucifer-oa-affair-california-tax-credit-1202010890/

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

Sweet! I remember how much better the scenery was in X-FIles after the move, instead of pacific northwest woods all the time.
Really? I always thought the overcast skies set the perfect mood for a show like X-Files. By the time they moved the show it was already dwindling though, so maybe it's appropriate. Still, Vancouver can double for almost anywhere, so it was kinda dumb that after the production move a whole lot of Mulder and Scully's cases just happened to be in California.

Maybe it's appropriate for Legion though - they try to go for a more idyllic setting despite darkness lurking under the surface.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I was hoping the orb at the end was a reference to when SWORD picks him up in X-Men: Legacy, but the orb wasn't shouting at him constantly.

Chokes McGee posted:

It's not just the schizophrenia. The episode where David is given bipolar in Farouk's/Lenny's asylum simulation is very on point, as is making a list based on logic (cognative behavioral) to help work through issues. Someone did their loving homework on mental illness and is actually depicting it accurately from the inside out.
If you want to see more of this sort of thing in media, check out the development updates for Hellblade, a game that's supposed to be out later this year. They did a ton of research and worked with mental illness outreach programs for consultation on what a protagonist with schizophrenia would hear and see.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Mar 30, 2017

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Hakkesshu posted:

I feel like the only thing the show needs to do now is bring in Matt Berry and have him act opposite Jemaine Clement.

gently caress it Legion/Darkplace crossover.

Also have Matt Berry pull double duty as Reynholm and bring in Richard Ayoade as Moss.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It reminded me of the Sylar/Peter battle too. They even had the same colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I think the real issue is that while power duels look cool on comic pages or in anime where real world rules don't apply, in live action it's really hard to keep them from looking stupid. It's really hard to go full DBZ with live action without getting into Matrix Revolutions territory.