Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Dateline: America, 1980's
I guess we just sort of decided that the devil was real? And that, in addition to making people play D&D and listen to heavy metal, he was using day cares to molest children. :devil:
A bunch of innocent people went to jail, and that part's not funny, and it's possible there was some actual non-satanic molesting going on, which obviously isn't funny either.
Yet here I am, cracking up that this actually happened. The 1980's is not that long ago. Some of you are old enough that you probably remember seeing this as it was occurring. Yet I never see it talked about?

Journey with me now to Mountain Beach, California, 1983, where Judy Johnson's two year old son was having trouble pooping comfortably, possibly for reasons such as he didn't chew his food thoroughly. Johnson, like any good mother, asked him if he'd been raped, and he said "no". So she brought him to a doctor, and the doctor was like, "Yeah, this kid has either constipation or worms. What have you been feeding him?" So Johnson called the police and reported that her son was being raped by the people at the McMartin Preschool, and also her ex-husband. Also that her son had been sodomized by a lion, and the people at the preschool were drilling holes into children's armpits and flying through the air! :ghost:

The police were like, "Sounds legit." So there was a national court case!
Not for Johnson, though. She was diagnosed with acute schizophrenia and died of chronic alcoholism less than three years later.
But never mind that, there was a national court case!

So America needed experts in checking to see if people were secretly part of an underground network of devil worshipers who ritualistically abuse children, but it's hard to be an expert in something that probably doesn't exist, so we hired, just, whoever. And it turns out if you put somebody who's interested in being in charge of interviewing a child to determine if they were molested by satanists in charge of interviewing a child to determine if they were molested by satanists, they're probably a crazy weirdo, and the child is just going to say whatever they think the adult wants to hear.

Wikipedia:

quote:

Interviews from the Wee Care Nursery School and McMartin preschool trials were examined as part of a research project on the testimony of children questioned in a highly suggestive manner. Compared with a set of interviews from Child Protective Services, the interviews from the two trials were "significantly more likely to (a) introduce new suggestive information into the interview, (b) provide praise, promises, and positive reinforcement, (c) express disapproval, disbelief, or disagreement with children, (d) exert conformity pressure, and (e) invite children to pretend or speculate about supposed events."

quote:

Children are vulnerable to outside influences that lead to fabrication of testimony.[60] Their testimony can be influenced in a variety of ways. Maggie Bruck in her article published by the American Psychological Association wrote that children incorporate aspects of the interviewer's questions into their answers in an attempt to tell the interviewer what the child believes is being sought.[61] Studies also show that when adults ask children questions that do not make sense (such as "is milk bigger than water?" or "is red heavier than yellow?"), most children will offer an answer, believing that there is an answer to be given, rather than understand the absurdity of the question.[62] Furthermore, repeated questioning of children causes them to change their answers. This is because the children perceive the repeated questioning as a sign that they did not give the "correct" answer previously.[63] Children are also especially susceptible to leading and suggestive questions.[64]

quote:

Transcripts and recordings of the interviews contained far more speech from adults than children and demonstrated that, despite the highly coercive interviewing techniques used, initially the children were resistant to interviewers' attempts to elicit disclosures. Recordings of these interviews were instrumental in the jury's refusal to convict, by demonstrating how children could be coerced to giving vivid and dramatic testimonies without having experienced the abuse.[18] The techniques used were contrary to the existing guidelines in California for the investigation of cases involving children and child witnesses.

The result of this was nationwide court cases where serious adults, including district attorneys and future national leaders, were investigating ritual abuse that probably didn't exist, as inferred by the characteristically naive imaginations of young children.

Case in point, when the children who attended the McMartin Preschool were "confirming" that they had been molested, they were asked what else happened, and the children explained, in a variety of mutually contradictory statements, that they were taken through underground tunnels, up into the air in a hot air balloon, witnessed witches flying around, and, when shown photos hoping to identify who the satanic molesters were, skipped over Ray Buckey, the man primarily accused of conducting the ritual abuse and also of flying, who would go on to serve five years in jail with a seven figure bail without ever being convicted of so much as a single wrongdoing, and instead indicated, why, none other than late 20th century martial arts film star and subject of an internet meme-incurred late-career revival Carlos Ray "Chuck" Norris.

Norris was never brought to trial and remains at large.

Shockingly, in 2005, one of the child witnesses retracted his testimony, explaining that he had lied to please his parents.
But we didn't know all this back in the 80's. So we decided, well, the bit about the tunnel sounds plausible? So the parents went to the site, about 40 of them in all, and just started digging for the bones of sacrificed animals and secret tunnels, and found nothing. So the DA sent an excavation team to the site of the day care, and found a solid and undisturbed concrete floor, on top of dirt, on top of the remains of the building that it was built on top of. No tunnels, no animal bones. So we sent more excavation teams. We just kept sending excavation teams, even after the trial was over, because the tunnels HAD to be there, because it was the only potential physical evidence, because it was the only part of the story that wasn't completely retarded. The children said there were 16 trap doors in the floors, and identified specific locations, and investigators peeled up the tile floor and found nothing. No tunnels. Almost as if trap doors, like tunnels, and like witches, unassisted human flight, lions, hot air balloons, and Chuck Norris, were just something children in the 80's had heard of.

Then, in 1990, a man hired by some of the parents, who were still convinced that the tunnels existed, to find the tunnels, found the tunnels! The reason we couldn't find them, he explained, was that they, at a volume of about 1350 cubic feet, had been filled in by the perpetrators, while the perpetrators, who were variously near-sighted, overweight, claustrophobic, and sexagenarian, were in jail awaiting trial. He doesn't suggest how this was accomplished, except, and this isn't a joke, "carefully." He alleged the filled-in tunnels had been identified through the use of ground-penetrating radar, a conclusion disputed by the firm that he had hired to conduct all of the use of ground-penetrating radar for him. In 2002, a scholarly report concluded that the "filled in tunnels" were probably actually just a garbage pit left by the previous owners, which would explain why they resembled a buried pile of garbage, including tin cans, bottles, inner tubes, garbage predating the construction of the building, as well as the previous owners' old mailbox.

The criminal justice system somehow eventually saw fit to dismiss the case outright, on the basis that the evidence was "incredibly weak", which, yes.
But this was just one of, God help us, dozens of significant court cases from the time examining whether or not people were molesting children for the devil.

It just goes on like this
  • The Fells Acres Day Care Center saw children explaining they were taken to a secret room, never located, where they described being molested by a fire-throwing clown, a biting robot, and lobsters, all of which was ignored except for the molesting part, for a combined sentence of over 80 years. Wall Street Journal author Dorothy Rabinowitz was awarded a Pulitzer Prize in part for an investigation she conducted that somehow found a couple of problems with this. Secret rooms join mentally ill parents and animals used to teach the alphabet on the list of recurring elements.
  • Dale Akiki, a developmentally disabled man, was, in addition to molestation, accused of killing giraffes and elephants, and drinking their blood. Found not guilty and later awarded damages.
  • Bernard Baran was a day-care worker for a government-operated daycare. Two parents, who were drug-addicted police informants, complained that they "didn't want no homo" around their son, and later accused him of molesting him. He was charged and convicted, and then holy crap 21 years later a retrial was ordered. The original charges were dismissed outright and his record cleared.
  • Country Walk actually might have happened, but if it was, we'll never know, because it's another case where testimony was coercively extracted by unqualified amateurs. The wife of the accused also claims to have been placed into solitary confinement until she agreed to testify against her husband.
  • The initial charges in Kern County were made by the children's mentally ill grandmother. No physical evidence was ever found, the conviction (of a combined more than 1000 years) was eventually overturned, and one of the child accusers, Ed Sampley, later admitted nothing happened.
  • Margaret Kelly Michaels of the Wee Care Nursery School was sentenced to 47 years for taking children to a secret room, never located, which she couldn't have had the time to physically reach as described in the accusations levied against her. Her sentence was also eventually overturned, the judge concluding "the interviews of the children were highly improper and utilized coercive and unduly suggestive methods."
  • The Martensville accused were said to have taken victims to "a devil church", never located. Conviction, again, was overturned, and interviews with the victims were once again found to have been leading and coercive, and to have positively reinforced any potentially incriminating response.
  • The Oak Hill victims described an incident where they were flown to Mexico, where they were molested by "soldiers", and then flown back to Austin, Texas in time to be picked up by their parents, because it's a daycare. They recalled being made to drink Kool-aid with blood in it, and witnessing or participating in the murder and dismemberment of cats, dogs, and a baby, (from, somewhere?) and subsequently being taken to the cemetery to watch the bodies be hidden by burying them. On one occasion this was witnessed by a passerby, who was promptly murdered with a shotgun and dismembered with a chainsaw. :black101: The accused spent 21 years in prison, the District Attorney remarking upon their release that they probably didn't receive a fair trial.

Hm. I guess that's all I have to say!
We, as a nation, and parts of Canada and New Zealand, were actually afraid of satanic cults, and spent millions of dollars and threw innocent people in jail for decades, because we just suddenly collectively decided that we were probably under siege by devil worshipers, and, uh. y'know. lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death by computer
Sep 6, 2010

Don't forget the Jordan, Minnesota case, where a janitor trying to weasel out of some molestation charges accused the entire town of being a giant secret society dedicated to child sex and ritual murder. The story was reported as-is in the press. Notably, Steve Albini read the story, bought the whole thing, and wrote a song about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuCs1aKzWiQ

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
I remember hearing about this 1980s craze.

Wasn't there one story about one woman amidst this hysteria accusing her own father of molesting her when she was young, something she completely made up as she later admitted? Imagine living with that.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I remember this poo poo. My parents are Jehovah's Witnesses. This was all the proof that they needed that demons exist and that they're err'where.

Also, it was really hard to rock out when all your favorite bands were cashing in on the hysteria and putting upside down crosses and pentagrams everywhere. My mother cried when she found my D&D books.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 9, 2017

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Awesome post. This has always fascinated me.

Cubone posted:

Dateline: America, 1980's
I guess we just sort of decided that the devil was real?
I think this is a big part of it. I wanna say the U.S. as a whole was more religious in the '80s, with more of the old guard still living and taking the bible Very Seriously.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Fascinating. I recall readng a book many years ago about the satanic panic (I think it was called Suffer the Children?) and it alleged that there have not actually been any "real" satanic cults (like, the kind that actually performed ritualistic human sacrifices) since the 1940s. Does anyone know if that is true?

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
nice to see a dare thread with an occult twist

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
*considers how long it would take to change every word into cubone like in the av, vs the quality of the joke, then shrugs and sighs*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The first season of True Detective was really good

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
I understand Patton Oswalt is being investigated for murdering his wife in a morphean occult sacrifice

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah back in the day the media would say just about anything to cover for #pizzagate but we know the truth now

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
So, you're saying that that the devil never actually influenced anyone and it was all their own doing?

This sounds a lot like Jesus, how people give him accolades, but they are ultimately responsible for the good they've done.

It's amazing how two sides of a coin can be interwoven in the tapestry of humanity.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
That's nothing, I heard that the kids now-a-days use different colored wrist bands to advertise how many sexual acts they have performed.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Shaquin posted:

I understand Patton Oswalt is being investigated for murdering his wife in a morphean occult sacrifice

i just saw him when I watched The Santa Clarita Diet and i was like, "too soon."

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.
I grew up in the eighties (because I'm old) and the OP is playing you guys straight in a non-sexual way, because holy poo poo this stuff 100% happened. And people, ordinary loving people that have barbecues and avoid fundamentalist churches, were seriously freaked out, so daycares in general were under scrutiny as a result. I was a kid and heard this stuff secondhand from everyone talking about it (my parents gave zero fucks or I guess maybe were satanists?); my friends and I were simultaneously freaked out and extremely fascinated by the whole thing. Good times.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Everytime I say hail, you say Satan!

HAIL!

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

get a load of this you guys... in the 1990s half the nation was convinced video games were turning our children into hardened killers!! aye carumba!

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

OP you should check out The Witch-Hunt Narritive by Ross Cheit.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

holy crap lois! in the 2000s fifteen Saudi Arabians drove planes into the Twin Towers and the Pentagon, and we fought back by attacking... Iraq! Can't tell those dang ol arabic-types apart!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I wonder how many kids got pulled out of day care over this lol

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
This is all pretty interesting. I'd heard of it before and I had always assumed it was some very isolated thing, like a series of incidents in 1/2 US states, I wasn't aware it was a full-blown phenomenon for a while.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Like all good mass hysteria, it was a combination of things. Loads of women working outside the home meant they had to put kids in daycare, so they felt guilty about turning kids over to STRANGERS who might attack them. Add in a few well-publicized real cases of child abuse, sprinkle in the anti D & D nonsense, and you're off to the races.

An amazing number of child psychologists and advocates turned out to be feeding the molestation stories to the kids because they themselves had been molested, and thought they 'knew the signs'. The kids were encouraged to say all kinds of stupid crap, like they sacrificed rabbits, dogs, cats, other kids, and had to drink the blood. No one seems to have ever heard their kids say 'we cut up Billy today', saw Billy standing right there, and made the connection that maybe, just maybe, the kids weren't telling the truth. People had been told for years that 'little kids don't lie about this kind of thing', yet here they were, lying because Cindy the nice lady rewarded them for doing so. So they believed it when their kids made up increasingly ridiculous sagas.

Once you're accused of child molestation, that's it. You might just as well jump off the Chrysler building. Because even if you can prove you weren't even in the same state as little Johnny when he says you made him eat the bones of his still-living dog while you raped him, you're always going to have people assuming you're a child molester.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Yep it, was all made up, nothing to worry about.

Now who wants some pizza?

*turns to reveal cat eyes*

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Well into the 90's daytime TV and Christian channels were all over this poo poo and it was the funniest, most retarded poo poo you could imagine. They had guys go in to consult with cops. There were sometimes groups that went to public schools trying to ferret out the Beelzebub. All with taxpayer money.

Just watch old episodes of the 700 club before 1996 or so. Satanism was that world's terrorism. It was like the cold war, except with demons instead of spies.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

death by computer posted:

Don't forget the Jordan, Minnesota case, where a janitor trying to weasel out of some molestation charges accused the entire town of being a giant secret society dedicated to child sex and ritual murder. The story was reported as-is in the press. Notably, Steve Albini read the story, bought the whole thing, and wrote a song about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuCs1aKzWiQ

that song is awesome despite being predicated on a hilariously false premise

but of course Kerosene is the Big Black go-to song

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
possibly a sphere may be of use here, or an orb of many colors

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Khazar-khum posted:

Like all good mass hysteria, it was a combination of things. Loads of women working outside the home meant they had to put kids in daycare, so they felt guilty about turning kids over to STRANGERS who might attack them. Add in a few well-publicized real cases of child abuse, sprinkle in the anti D & D nonsense, and you're off to the races.

An amazing number of child psychologists and advocates turned out to be feeding the molestation stories to the kids because they themselves had been molested, and thought they 'knew the signs'. The kids were encouraged to say all kinds of stupid crap, like they sacrificed rabbits, dogs, cats, other kids, and had to drink the blood. No one seems to have ever heard their kids say 'we cut up Billy today', saw Billy standing right there, and made the connection that maybe, just maybe, the kids weren't telling the truth. People had been told for years that 'little kids don't lie about this kind of thing', yet here they were, lying because Cindy the nice lady rewarded them for doing so. So they believed it when their kids made up increasingly ridiculous sagas.

Once you're accused of child molestation, that's it. You might just as well jump off the Chrysler building. Because even if you can prove you weren't even in the same state as little Johnny when he says you made him eat the bones of his still-living dog while you raped him, you're always going to have people assuming you're a child molester.

I remember the response to concerns that kids had been inadvertently coached to provide damning testimony was for the longest time, "you are accusing the children of lying!"

Also in one of those cases two female accused were released after a few years and the ridiculous nature of the accusations became apparent but their male co-accused wasn't released for a few more years, if ever?

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
Seer of millions of years
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I am the lord of eternity
I feel
I perceive
I am in the utchat in it's closing
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine
I go in and I come to life

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah back in the day the media would say just about anything to cover for #pizzagate but we know the truth now

yeah, tbh, if this doesn't have anything to do with pizzagate I really don't give a poo poo.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Which country was it where everyone was killing each other over Tulips 500 years ago?

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I feel
I perceive
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Which country was it where everyone was killing each other over Tulips 500 years ago?

Enter: the 'Daffodil Revolution'.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Are you maybe thinking of tulip mania in the Netherlands? Though that was in the 1600s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Are you maybe thinking of tulip mania in the Netherlands? Though that was in the 1600s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

Oh that's it. My dad had a book on mass hystetia that made for good toilet reading, i only really remember that one tho

BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

There was a kinda actual case of this in Mexico in the 80s at least
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolfo_Constanzo

Bilbo Bellend
May 18, 2004

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Everytime I say hail, you say Satan!

HAIL!

SATAN!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Hell yeah, brother!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Remember that if you say you don't believe in god on the internet, and someone reads it and is annoyed, you're literally the exact same as the people who perpetuated this, except from the other side.

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I feel
I perceive
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine

counterfeitsaint posted:

Remember that if you say you don't believe in god on the internet, and someone reads it and is annoyed, you're literally the exact same as the people who perpetuated this, except from the other side.

Your post is the reason why I log in, thank you.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

BigPoot posted:

There was a kinda actual case of this in Mexico in the 80s at least
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolfo_Constanzo

they forgot to molest kids or fly through tunnels though. pretty glaring oversight imo

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I think Nazi panic is the modern day Satanist panic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Here's a good longform to read

"In 1992, Fran and Dan Keller were sent to prison for sexually abusing a child in the suburban Austin day care center. But parents have convinced themselves that the couple is guilty of much worse. They believe the Kellers belong to a cult that tortured and brainwashed their kids and turned them into Satan’s slaves"

http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-innocent-and-the-damned/

• Locked thread