Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

echinopsis posted:

so i watched xmen first class on a tv thru apple tv bought off itunes and tell me what was it about it that made it look soooo poo poo
compared to what i saw at home when i downloaded a pirated blu ray 1080p rip

something to do with the motion, not so much the quality of the encode as such ...

iTunes encodes are pretty conservative data-wise, like for 1080p it seems like they average the bitrate at 4000, 4500, 5000 or 5500kbps for the video track (not sure if there's any logic behind which of these they ultimately use), and on top of that the bitrate peaks are like 13000kbps because very few will call them for a blocky image but they sure as poo poo will if they keep getting interruptions on their poo poo dsl connection (and all of this with lower-end encoding profiles for older apple devices). i think that combination can lead to weird results

pirate rips typically have like 2-3x the average bitrate and will go whole hog on bitrate peaks because they're not encoded with streaming over the internet in mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

always get the blu-ray for movies.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

blu-rays? i think my dad used to buy those

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

carry on then posted:

"i call this gun the FRAMERIPPER"

Big loving GOP

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

I think X-men 2 is still the best one.

idk if i saw tjat one it came out a while
ago huh

Shaggar posted:

days of future pants is pretty good

young magneto is cool and young prof x is also cool

and the kid that slows down time is cool

Doc Block posted:

all the young x-men in X-Men First Class seem like the B team IMHO

LOL that every new x-man movie except Logan takes place in the past so they can use younger actors

what about the one who’s power is to adapt to survive? what kind of power is that? it’s so weirdly non specific

univbee posted:

iTunes encodes are pretty conservative data-wise, like for 1080p it seems like they average the bitrate at 4000, 4500, 5000 or 5500kbps for the video track (not sure if there's any logic behind which of these they ultimately use), and on top of that the bitrate peaks are like 13000kbps because very few will call them for a blocky image but they sure as poo poo will if they keep getting interruptions on their poo poo dsl connection (and all of this with lower-end encoding profiles for older apple devices). i think that combination can lead to weird results

pirate rips typically have like 2-3x the average bitrate and will go whole hog on bitrate peaks because they're not encoded with streaming over the internet in mind

modern blu ray pirate rips are fuckin top notch imo

720 for most movies that i might wanna watch once and is a comedy or whatever and like 1080 for big budget poo poo it’s a good solution

i mean

in theory
if i did that

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
some av1 stuff i saw

"webp/heif but with av1" https://www.cnet.com/news/google-mozilla-av1-photo-format-could-outdo-aging-jpeg/
links to a comparison https://people.xiph.org/~tdaede/av1stilldemo/

av1 recetnly did a vote on changing to a different transform made by the daala people that looked pretty neat, it simplifed the code and had decent gains on metrics. it failed though :(
in fairness they're supposed to be finishing up stuff but lol they're still changing stuff all over the place

https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/100/materials/slides-100-netvc-daalaav1-update-on-transforms/

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
the founder and chairman of mpeg wrote a blog about how profit-driven companies (both on the side of patent-holders who want maximum royalties and media companies who want to pay no royalties) are destroying his precious standards committee :qq:.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
hey sup i was wondering. whats the preferred container for h265 video? i just noticed the only 265 file i ever had was an mkv and surely there must be something like .mp5 or whatever. or maybe in this near futurw we will all stream EVERY video... who knows

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

for straight playback I think you basically want to only be using mkv or mp4 (the former allowing more options and track types and the latter being required for certain devices)

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
so mp4 can carry h265 now? thats hosed up considering the big difference in hardware requirements compared to h264

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Aix posted:

so mp4 can carry h265 now? thats hosed up considering the big difference in hardware requirements compared to h264

that's been true since long before h265, there are plenty of different codecs with wildly different hardware requirements that you can find in mp4 files

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

why is it hosed up that a container file can...contain a file

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

also, streamed video usually comes in a container as well, typically the even more venerable mpeg-2 transport stream

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
im gonna make sure the next good codec will be called "avi"

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Aix posted:

im gonna make sure the next good codec will be called "ayyvi"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/richard_kyanka/status/959782564910239745

lol

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
vp9 is now the best codec, pleose update op http://www.streamingmedia.com/Artic...ate-122945.aspx

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
i can't believe nobody's posted about the newest release of the best video player (since the death of mpc-hc :rip:), vlc 3.0. new features include hardware accelerated video playback, 10-bit hdr support, hd audio passthrough, hidpi support, and chromecast support.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
does it respect blacks yet

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

it still gets itself into a crash loop if you open a single broken file and have repeat playlist ticked

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

josh04 posted:

it still gets itself into a crash loop if you open a single broken file and have repeat playlist ticked

lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

IINA is the best video player around right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

outside of malaysia and the philippines, mpeg-2's patents have expired :rip:

• Locked thread