Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

pagancow posted:

in the future you will have 10,000 nit displays that will look almost as good as the real world, but i'm sure someone will gently caress it up in the future by making 2d videos 360 or something.

we already had one, it was pretty cool

Plorkyeran posted:

this is everyone because the api is a dumpster fire not suitable for any use

tell me about it. ffmpeg supports a variety of hardware encoding apis, which would be great if any living human knew how to get it to use them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Aix posted:

25mbps intraframe ownage
420 color subsampling for pal and 411 for ntsc because we need diversity

ntsc can barely hold colours anyway so why bother trying

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Groove Music, the trusted windows store app

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

spankmeister posted:

so hows dirac doing

killed by the wavelet curse

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

blackmagic advertising focuses on the two main poles:

rugged individuals shooting action movies in the wild,

and people looking to decorate studio apartments

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

afaik it's all the same tape, should record digital8 just fine assuming there's nothing wrong with it otherwise

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

like five-ten years from now? tv manufacturers got all up in the standards process and diluted everything until you barely need to do anything more than decode the PQ curve to slap HDR!!!! on the box

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

atomicthumbs posted:

i'm thinking of putting a pair of cameras at equal altitude on the sides of mountains in the desert to make the desert small

NASA shot 3D footage of the shuttle like this.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Hah, I've seen that fuckin thing. It's a neat student project but it's just an FPGA which applies a LUT. The viability of HDR Brady Bunch remains constant.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Perplx posted:

wouldn't that be the same as setting your tv to "vivid" or some other bullshit setting

yeah pretty much. kinda like using a chromecast to skip round the terrible software in your smart tv, you could use this to avoid terrible image processing, i guess

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

pagancow posted:

so there is going to be a ton of new hardware rolling out to support that.

that's a thing which is definitely going to occur, yes

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

pagancow posted:

For a while x265 was same or worse quality than x264 at much higher encode times.

x265 is a garbage fire project compared to x264 and it's embarrassing that they got to use the same name

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

lossless what? lossless 4:2:0? 4:2:2? RGB? Float RGB? Bayer pattern? 10-bit, 12-bit, 16-bit?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

709? 2020? ACES?

~SMPTE 2084~?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

^-- lol, hdr has many pitfalls for stupid idiot developers. max every channel = neutral white right???

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

.05 - 1000 nits or .005 - 540 nits

reminder that people struggle to see ~10 nits too well in a well-lit room. that second bracket is a huge cop to display manufacturer's delusions.

also per-frame metadata is stupid and i'd be surprised if the dolby solution that ships actually uses it for anything

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

it's dynamic range, not brightness. the ability to do shadows is meant to also be improved (although in practise it's just not going to get worse)

also 10k nits looks sweet as and is a visible improvement on 4k

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

in theory 10-bit pq follows one of the barten curves for just-noticeable difference, so it sits right on the line where if you take code points away you start to see banding. in practise, dolby almost certainly can't get a 20k nit screen going.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

that's exactly the case, but the dark regions can't afford to lose the ~50 points you'd need to reasonably cover 10,000 - 20,000 without visible banding.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

10bpc had the advantage of existing infrastructure. prores is 10-bit, SDI is already all 10-bit and 10-bit HDMI came in just in time to be used. you can also pack 10-bit into a 32-bit integer. 12bpc is basically as many as you'd ever need though, and that's where all the intermediate formats will probably go.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

dolby vision is a feint for making HDR10, which is almost entirely the same dolby technology, appear non-partisan.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

extra extra company expands enum

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

is that necessarily the case? i mean, i have to imagine, that while no doubt lambasted as a complete waste in *this* thread, hdr will eventually end up rolling out on stuff like cheap youtube shows which have enough post-production done that they can quickly tweak it into sanity (e.g. clamp it out of any scene where it'd otherwise look too terrible, leave it in when it makes content a bit more lively), but i guess dolby vision is really just for stuff where you have many expensive pro post-production hours to spend then?

the two major things dolby vision gets you over HDR10 are support for using the full 0-10,000 nit range of PQ in 12-bit, which isn't going to be visible on a regular desk for a few years yet (and when it does, someone will be waiting with a free standard for it) and calibrated output, which is pretty much the definition of 'too much effort'

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

pagancow posted:

the display manufacturer does the calibration, not you

*c-walks outa this thread*

video producer still has to grade to that standard though, rather than "gently caress it, looks good on my dell"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

to be fair to them, those were the top digital cinema cameras in existence at the time.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

pagancow posted:

and did any other movies get shot on miniDV after that?

all three hours of Inland Empire

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

if no-one made films with the bad digital cameras which were available at the time, it's hard to see where the drive towards decent quality digital cameras would have come from.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

the gopros were always horrible trash but i maintain that the hobbit movies don't make sense without 48fps

also man, hi-8. i transferred a bunch of hi-8 tapes earlier this year and they are a bad, bad format.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

yeeah it's 48fps so they could half it and mush it up a little bit for the 24fps version, which sucks. 120fps would have been better but billy lynn was pushing the boundaries out even for today. still mad i didn't get to see the preview showing of a scene in 120fps/HDR/3D

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

fishmech posted:

right but there's no point to that, the 24 fps release i mean. all the digital projection systems already in place could at least handle 30 fps display, film distribution was nearly entirely dead, etc.

there's a lot of grody film types in hollywood who are convinced 24fps is a totally unique, magic frame rate. they're generally people who are pretty unhappy with the advent of digital capture/distribution full stop.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Mr.Radar posted:

Here's (the slides from) a cool talk from an engineer at Vimeo about the poo poo people upload and expect their transcoder to deal with.

brb uploading a bunch of my multi-track mp4s to see how vimeo deals with them

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

george lucas is such a loving troll, i love it

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

i'm going to get all pagancow if posters itt seriously want to reignite bayer pattern vs 3-ccd

i love my pd150 but 3-ccd is deep in the cold dead earth where it belongs

colour correlates. deal with it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

oh yeah that's a nice arri 24mm prime you've got there, allow me to place your £15k glass right here in front of this lovely loving three-way prism. optical aberrations? what the gently caress are those?

and let's hope you never loving drop this thing because if those sensors move half a millimetre out of sync you're going back to the clean room

which you need to fix your camera because there's a stupid loving block of glass in there

all because idiot nerds understand pixel count but not colour science

duuuh, my screen has a red green and blue for every pixel, so should my camera, even though the colour channels correlation 90% of the time and interpolation is perceptually indistinguishable from capture, i think we should have a full loving image sensor for blue pixels

polarisation???? who knows

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Doc Block posted:

yes, I know that bayer patterns are a thing we have to live with and that they’re fine Most of the Time.

but it seems that somebody would’ve put something like a foveon sensor in a digital cinema camera by now and at least tried to market it to VFX studios or whoever based on the increased color resolution, though.

the thing is, demosaicing algorithms are really good. aside from aliasing, you get pretty much everything you need and the operations which make it better from there (various blurs, sharpens, other filters) are a known quantity. the foveon design has all its own set of issues (as well as a few in common with the bayer pattern) and there aren't as well developed solutions to them. those 5 microns of depth might suddenly be more of an issue on a 35mm equivalent sensor with an f/0.9 lens.

Wheany posted:

i give it 3/5 pagancows.

i shoulda split it over seven posts, really

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

just dive on in to your alexa or red with a set of screw keys and take it out

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

half the work there is just laying old-paper.jpg over the image at half transparency

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

john carmack once liked my tweet linking him to the h.265 spec

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

blair witch 2017, shot on a canon 5d2 with a wobbly stabiliser arm and a cheap zoom lens

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

(chroma subsampling is good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"