Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

holy poo poo how did i miss this thread

h.2655555555555

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

every night, i crack a miller lite, turn f.lux up to max orangeness, open vlc, and watch my 4:3 cropped version of the spider-man 2 dvd on a 2006 era lcd

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

lol remember the quicktime 4 interface

"okay, so the volume control is a little thumbwheel, right?"
"yes sir, Mr. Jobs."
"like those little things on a walkman that you can barely work with your fingernail? don't get me wrong, i don't want an actual dial, here."
"no, it's like a thumbwheel. anything else?"
"yea, let's remove all the buttons except play."
"i'm not sure that's such a good ide-"
"and pause."
"you mean you want a pause button and a play button?"
(silent stare)
"i mean, you can only ever be in play mode or pause mode, never both, so if you want to really go for minimalism, we could just do a bi-modal--"
"you're fired."

that lasted like 8 months before v5 came out with all the real buttons back

i seriously cant read four words of your posts without getting sleepy.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bloody posted:

i dont even know what format my audio is in. spotify just plays it

spotify uses ogg

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jimmy Carter posted:

is there a commonly-accepted reason why The Scene has not standardized on HEVC yet? I’m guessing it’s just because dumpster hardware doesn’t have hardware decoding support yet

because "the scene" is notoriously slow in changing their ways? some of them were still splitting movies up into chunks that would fit on CD-Rs in the early 2010s

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

how dare you

only pure, once-encoded-from-the-source-disc bits may reach my phillips divx certified prgoressive scan dvd player

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

does Linux support sound yet?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i use the plex pass to watch my "home movies" hosted on my home server when im traveling

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

go on

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pagancow posted:

but let me ask u,

who would say a rotten piece of meat tastes bad if they have never eaten good steak?

i dont think that metaphor quite works but i get what you're saying

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i use vlc and f.lux in tandem

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

just popping in my favorite pan and scan dvd ripped to h265 + 96kbps mp3 audio

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

they did iTunes music upgrades, I don't see why movies would be such a stretch.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

josh04 posted:

the gopros were always horrible trash but i maintain that the hobbit movies don't make sense without 48fps

also man, hi-8. i transferred a bunch of hi-8 tapes earlier this year and they are a bad, bad format.

same actually. rescued some family memories that would have wasted away with that terrible format. i used a camcorder i bought from an amazon seller and it worked well

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i think 28 days later looks cool. who gives a poo poo what medium or whatever you put your moving pictures on as long as theyre good

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

do you regret learning about video compression?

i can watch and enjoy an flv that has been transcoded like 20 times without the burden of all the vocabulary youre throwing around in here weighing on my mind and i've gotta tell you it feels pretty good

same lol. sometimes i watch ancient divX :files: i have just for fun and nostalgia

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pagancow posted:

not HDR PQ gamma get out

yeah but nobody important cares about that

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

blu-rays? i think my dad used to buy those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004