Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I believe the state of US education is...
Doing very well...
Could be better...
Horrendously hosed...
I have no idea because I only watch Fox News...
View Results

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Why are you still debating with him? He just tried to use Trump as a symbol of rational thought.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hunt11 posted:

Why are you still debating with him? He just tried to use Trump as a symbol of rational thought.

Oh that's that same guy. I should buy him a swastika av but we should all remember to give fascists no platform anyway and put him on the ignore list.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

shovelbum posted:

Yeah exactly this, unfortunately the non-union trades swing pretty hard right, and there are a lot of Trump voters even in the trade unions. I think that when a leftist movement has become so isolated to the white-collar classes that it loses even the support of unionized workers, there is a lot of trouble afoot!

I think the schools have done a lot to alienate the trades, too. Schools used to serve as a pipeline to the trades. Shop class, automotive class, carpentry class, even electronics class. Where did they go and why? The schools used to work hand-in-hand with the trades. At some point, this alliance fell apart.

14 years ago, the high school I work at had an automotive class and a shop class. Today they teach customer service classes. What happened?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

litany of gulps posted:

I think the schools have done a lot to alienate the trades, too. Schools used to serve a pipeline to the trades. Shop class, automotive class, carpentry class, even electronics class. Where did they go and why? The schools used to work hand-in-hand with the trades. At some point, this alliance fell apart.

budget cuts and more emphasis on testing, probably

i was excited to take small engine class in high school, except by the time i was eligible they had replaced it with a print shop with big for real binding equipment and small industrial printers. which was ok i guess, but last i heard from a friend's younger brother even that was gone and it was just another study hall

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

budget cuts and more emphasis on testing, probably

i was excited to take small engine class in high school, except by the time i was eligible they had replaced it with a print shop with big for real binding equipment and small industrial printers. which was ok i guess, but last i heard from a friend's younger brother even that was gone and it was just another study hall

Hah, because printing is a real career path, right? What does that even mean - journalism, publishing books? Does it even matter? Why do you think that happened?

Edit: It can't be budget cuts. The customer service classes have tons of computers and software, more funding than even core classes.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

litany of gulps posted:

I think the schools have done a lot to alienate the trades, too. Schools used to serve a pipeline to the trades. Shop class, automotive class, carpentry class, even electronics class. Where did they go and why? The schools used to work hand-in-hand with the trades. At some point, this alliance fell apart.

14 years ago, the high school I work at had an automotive class and a shop class. Today they teach customer service classes. What happened?

Part of it is simple budgetary reasons- shop classes require specialized equipment and teachers. They're not very popular, because parents, even union parents, don't necessarily want their kids working as auto mechanics, so parents don't usually speak up to defend them. Here in Michigan, ISDs (between municipalities and counties) and RESAs (counties) handle shop classes, and their strategy has been to consolidate all classes across a set of districts or a county into a single school to save on expenses for facilities, meaning kids have to be bused around the county to attend more than basic vocational classes. Which eats up the time available for those classes.

Tracking certainly doesn't help in this regard either, where it's practiced.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Brainiac Five posted:

Part of it is simple budgetary reasons- shop classes require specialized equipment and teachers. They're not very popular, because parents, even union parents, don't necessarily want their kids working as auto mechanics, so parents don't usually speak up to defend them. Here in Michigan, ISDs (between municipalities and counties) and RESAs (counties) handle shop classes, and their strategy has been to consolidate all classes across a set of districts or a county into a single school to save on expenses for facilities, meaning kids have to be bused around the county to attend more than basic vocational classes. Which eats up the time available for those classes.

Tracking certainly doesn't help in this regard either, where it's practiced.

My own experiences...

As a student, my trades teachers were basically disrespected by administration. Treated as inferiors, but some of the most influential classes I ever took.

As a teacher, I see that my school has abolished these classes to promote "college readiness." The very largest schools in the district still have trade classes, but these are few and far between, and the schools that still maintain them are among the largest schools in the country. Which doesn't at all dispute what you say.

Collegiate academies are the model in Dallas, but these academy models offer 2-year degrees in things like criminal justice. Very specific and somewhat questionable focal points for study.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Hunt11 posted:

Trump was better at seizing opportunity and gauging the nation than an army of high-priced Democratic consultants, he has a much better predictive model and is more rational than the mainline Dem party and people like you who are doubling down on things that cause you to lose.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

litany of gulps posted:

Hah, because printing is a real career path, right? What does that even mean - journalism, publishing books? Does it even matter? Why do you think that happened?

Edit: It can't be budget cuts. The customer service classes have tons of computers and software, more funding than even core classes.

in the case of my school it wasn't budget cuts - all the new printers and a brand new computer lab to run them - but i went to a school district where money was effectively infinite. i think the administrators just wanted to buy some new stuff and also saw computer-related vocational tech as being more valuable than working with metal objects

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

litany of gulps posted:

My own experiences...

As a student, my trades teachers were basically disrespected by administration. Treated as inferiors, but some of the most influential classes I ever took.

As a teacher, I see that my school has abolished these classes to promote "college readiness." The very largest schools in the district still have trade classes, but these are few and far between, and the schools that still maintain them are among the largest schools in the country. Which doesn't at all dispute what you say.

Collegiate academies are the model in Dallas, but these academy models offer 2-year degrees in things like criminal justice. Very specific and somewhat questionable focal points for study.

Yeah part of the problem is that trades are seen as for kids too stupid to go to college, they're relatively vulnerable targets unless they have a minimal footprint, and just about everyone would resist making them part of the standard curriculum. Also, partnering with unions would be a big advantage for trade classes but good luck getting that to happen.

on the left posted:

Trump was better at seizing opportunity and gauging the nation than an army of high-priced Democratic consultants, he has a much better predictive model and is more rational than the mainline Dem party and people like you who are doubling down on things that cause you to lose.

Do you kiss a picture of him on the lips before you go to sleep every night?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

on the left posted:

What are you even doing, you clown? The conversation isn't about your nonsense, weak trolling. Go elsewhere. Trump's predictive model predicted his loss, which happened but for a technicality. Doubling down is a buzzword owned by KFC, I hope you are paying royalties. It's a sandwich made of chickens, you moron. The adults are talking. Go.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the other problem with the trades is that by necessity, shunting kids into votech programs hurts your college placement rate and these are attractive to parents

imo we just need to pump money into community colleges and use them as low intensity trade schools as well as a gap bridger for kids who are too broke or unmotivated to go to a four year school

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

litany of gulps posted:

What are you even doing, you clown? The conversation isn't about your nonsense, weak trolling. Go elsewhere. Trump's predictive model predicted his loss, which happened but for a technicality. Doubling down is a buzzword owned by KFC, I hope you are paying royalties. It's a sandwich made of chickens, you moron. The adults are talking. Go.

lol I guess I can't compete with the professional accomplishments or intellectual horsepower of a high-school english teacher

People like you are why I suppport the dismantling of the public education system

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

on the left posted:

lol I guess I can't compete with the professional accomplishments or intellectual horsepower of a high-school english teacher

People like you are why I suppport the dismantling of the public education system

actually it's because your racist trash

thank god you wont ever have kids

Quidthulhu posted:

Are you racist too?

he's concern trolling about his hypothetical nerdlinger kids being stabbed by "bad students", what do you think

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Ah, there it is, the namecalling that comes with having no actual points to substantiate your argument but a deeply rooted and non-truthful bias.

Are you racist too?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

imo we just need to pump money into community colleges and use them as low intensity trade schools as well as a gap bridger for kids who are too broke or unmotivated to go to a four year school

There are a tremendous number of kids who think that college is inaccessible to them because of money. Talking to them about Pell Grants and the affordability of community colleges is truly one of the most rewarding things I do as a high school teacher. You talk about the teachable moment or you think about those rare times when a student lights up and really gets it - telling someone that they can go to college and study whatever they want and they genuinely won't have to pay a cent for it?

I have seen so many students literally light up at the idea of being able to afford college. They don't know, though. They don't know that it is possible and even easy.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
How do you post in D&D for years and still respond to OtL posts? Just ignore him and have real conversations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

on the left posted:

Are you a native speaker, you wretch? We use punctuation to note the end of sentences, and we capitalize the beginning of our sentences. Did you forget this or did you never learn it? You obviously haven't mastered the more complex elements of the language, what happened to your understanding of the basics? Perhaps a fault in your IQ?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

boner confessor posted:

in the case of my school it wasn't budget cuts - all the new printers and a brand new computer lab to run them - but i went to a school district where money was effectively infinite. i think the administrators just wanted to buy some new stuff and also saw computer-related vocational tech as being more valuable than working with metal objects

Typically it's state standards and initiatives that drive much of what happens. If state grants for tech programs are on the decline because the state legislature cuts funding for it, schools will slowly eliminate those programs because to do otherwise would mean dipping into general ed funds and most schools don't have that option. Much of this came about because of the NCLB focus on all students going to college which was a real slam to any programs not college bound. There has been a slight change with RTTT/ESSA, but it's going to take a lot of time to reclaim ground in that area because funding has been set so far back.

While trade programs would be highly useful for lots of students who aren't college minded, there is a stigma in the US about these programs in much of the country because it isn't tech/medicine/research.... If we are being pragmatic the things every school should offer are:
1. Comprehensive Sex Ed
2. Consumer Finance/Economics
3. Basic Parenting Skills
4. Guidance/Health - basic mental/physical health and coping skills

Yet in many places, you won't see any of these. Students are lacking even basic life skills. I'm seeing a lot of anxiety/depression students for things that are frankly very minor issues (oh noes, I have homework! dear god I have to go to class??? wha wha wha). Parents giving students unlimited technology without teaching any sort of moderation or self-discipline skills is ruining an entire generation of kids and making teaching much harder. It's unbelievable the amount of enabling that I deal with on a daily basis...

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Quidthulhu posted:

Ah, there it is, the namecalling that comes with having no actual points to substantiate your argument but a deeply rooted and non-truthful bias.

Are you racist too?

If it's a nontruthful bias, surely my strategy of keeping my children out of dangerous schools will backfire spectacularly and result in self-pwn.

The truth is that the reason why people fight so hard against education positions like mine with forced integration and other similar strategies is that they acknowledge the demographic realities of school performance and want to sufficiently socialize the risk and dysfunction so that it's less noticeable.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's pretty funny but also pretty revealing that my parents are regularly stunned by how much academic work is required for my youngest sister's Culinary Arts classes.

Voyager I posted:

How do you post in D&D for years and still respond to OtL posts? Just ignore him and have real conversations.

I mean, refusing to respond to his medley of racism and Brooks Brothers Boring conservatism does leave open the question of whether he is making stunning points that those loony libz don't want you to know.

on the left posted:

If it's a nontruthful bias, surely my strategy of keeping my children out of dangerous schools will backfire spectacularly and result in self-pwn.

The truth is that the reason why people fight so hard against education positions like mine with forced integration and other similar strategies is that they acknowledge the demographic realities of school performance and want to sufficiently socialize the risk and dysfunction so that it's less noticeable.

No, we're doing it for white genocide, idiot.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Oxphocker posted:

While trade programs would be highly useful for lots of students who aren't college minded, there is a stigma in the US about these programs in much of the country because it isn't tech/medicine/research.... If we are being pragmatic the things every school should offer are:
1. Comprehensive Sex Ed
2. Consumer Finance/Economics
3. Basic Parenting Skills
4. Guidance/Health - basic mental/physical health and coping skills

I love you for making this thread. I love you for making this post. I truly believe that you are one of the best posters on SA. No poo poo. I'm glad you ventured from Science, Academics, and Languages to D&D. I genuinely enjoy reading what you have to say.

on the left posted:

Finally, you see the truth. Can you tell us the moment you realize you were repeatedly "self-pwn"ing, you racist and ignorant half-troll?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Auto shop is a backdoor into not embarrassing yourself in any situation where there is a machine, which is all kinds of careers from ditch digger to theoretical physicist.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I think a big part of why trade stuff like auto shop and wood shop are vanishing is because (the predominant narrative / theory / truth / whatever you want to call it being pushed) is that students can't make a living in skilled trade anymore, because the global economy won't allow for it. The beginning of the 2016 school year our keynote speaker and the thread of our entire school direction was Response to Intervention, and a big thread of that was that where our parents could have not graduated from high school and died comfortably after working a middle-middle-class trade job, that wasn't something our students could do anymore. Kids basically HAVE to go to college in order to be successful.

My personal experience when I was young, a terrible student, and didn't want to go to college was that this was going to be true, and that was 12 years ago. The real reason we might be seeing specialized skillset courses vanishing is because nobody is going to go in to them? Thoughts?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
That is such a crazy idea, though! The trades are one of the few job categories insulated from globalization. There isn't any loving Chinese electrician coming to fix the hosed up wiring in your light switch. There's no Indian plumber fixing your lovely clogged toilet. Nobody in another country is fixing your busted rear end car. Some of my most successful students have been kids that went into trades.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

It's pretty funny but also pretty revealing that my parents are regularly stunned by how much academic work is required for my youngest sister's Culinary Arts classes.
There's "cooking schools" like Le Cole or Courdon Bleu, but then there are the culinary programs of accredited colleges and universities. It's something you have to explain to people before they understand how rigorous it is. I mean seriously, go take a professional cooking 1 class, the most basic class in a program and tell me you aren't exhausted after every class. I mean, this is off topic, but it's not a horribly bigoted derail like most of the thread so whatever. I just get really pissed when people think I go jackass around in a kitchen all day and that "American Regional Cuisine," a 400 level class, is somehow easy or something they could do. I mean gently caress, we had a food science class that the head of the chemistry department complained about because it was more advanced than their organic chemistry class.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 10, 2017

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Babylon Astronaut posted:

There's "cooking schools" like Le Cole or Courdon Bleu, but then there are the culinary programs of accredited colleges and universities. It's something you have to explain to people before they understand how rigorous it is. I mean seriously, go take a professional cooking 1 class, the most basic class in a program and tell me you aren't exhausted after every class. I mean, this is off topic, but it's not a horribly bigoted derail like most of the thread so whatever. I just get really pissed when people think I go jackass around in a kitchen all day and that "American Regional Cuisine," a 400 level class, is somehow easy or something they could do.

Anyone that knows what it actually entails respects the program. Why do you think a class like this gets dismissed by the ignorant? What are they really saying? This isn't at all off-topic.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

There's "cooking schools" like Le Cole or Courdon Bleu, but then there are the culinary programs of accredited colleges and universities. It's something you have to explain to people before they understand how rigorous it is. I mean seriously, go take a professional cooking 1 class, the most basic class in a program and tell me you aren't exhausted after every class. I mean, this is off topic, but it's not a horribly bigoted derail like most of the thread so whatever. I just get really pissed when people think I go jackass around in a kitchen all day and that "American Regional Cuisine," a 400 level class, is somehow easy or something they could do. I mean gently caress, we had a food science class that the head of the chemistry department complained about because it was more advanced than their organic chemistry class.

Yeah, there's a huge difference between being able to cook for yourself/a nuclear family (which a lot of people can't really do all that well, even) and cooking to the standards of even a high school culinary program.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
There are all kinds of super specialized technician jobs that are decidedly blue collar and don't require a degree, but it's hard to say that any one of them is worth teaching in high school nationally - community colleges seem really well adapted to working to meet the needs of local employers for this kind of stuff but I guess not everywhere has an oilfield or aircraft factory or steel mill or whatever that needs armies of specialty welders and instrumentation guys.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

shovelbum posted:

There are all kinds of super specialized technician jobs that are decidedly blue collar and don't require a degree, but it's hard to say that any one of them is worth teaching in high school nationally - community colleges seem really well adapted to working to meet the needs of local employers for this kind of stuff but I guess not everywhere has an oilfield or aircraft factory or steel mill or whatever that needs armies of specialty welders and instrumentation guys.

Should local high schools cater to local needs? Is there a problem with a local high school teaching welding if there's a demand for the skill locally?

Why would it need to be nationally mandated?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

litany of gulps posted:

That is such a crazy idea, though! The trades are one of the few job categories insulated from globalization. There isn't any loving Chinese electrician coming to fix the hosed up wiring in your light switch. There's no Indian plumber fixing your lovely clogged toilet. Nobody in another country is fixing your busted rear end car. Some of my most successful students have been kids that went into trades.

I think the idea isn't global economy in the sense that you're competing against other people to make sure you maintain a job, I think it's more that BECAUSE there's more competition in everything across the board the salaries for jobs with degrees has rocketed up along with the baseline salary standard of living, while blue collar job wages have remained the same, and therefore you can't survive as an electrician / car mechanic / teacher because you aren't getting paid a living wage anymore.

Of course maybe the solution should be to paid skilled labor a living wage, hurm :v:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

litany of gulps posted:

Should local high schools cater to local needs? Is there a problem with a local high school teaching welding if there's a demand for the skill locally?

Why would it need to be nationally mandated?

Yeah I guess you could use the same model in high school, though part of me thinks the goal of high school should be to create a standardized citizen of some kind so that in an emergency they're a known quantity.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Blue-collar jobs, as opposed to pink-collar jobs, are more likely to pay a substantial wage. Of course, a lot of them have bad working conditions. There's a substantial group of carpenters, electricians, boilermakers, etc. that work gigs maybe lasting a week at a time, there's a substantial group of blue-collar workers who work 60-70 hours a week to make the high incomes people like to talk about when encouraging people to go into skilled trades, there's a decent risk of injuries, and there's the relative lack of comfort in many blue-collar jobs. So it's not surprising that although people talk about more skilled tradespeople, very few will push their own children or their local school towards it.

That's without getting into the issue of getting into steady work in the first place, how seniority can be disaffecting for younger union workers, etc. because those are a little outside the scope of education. Of course, solutions to those problems I just outlined above are a little beyond the scope of education, but in theory normalizing vocational/trade classes (or creating semi-vocational classes) will help develop pressure to improve working conditions for blue-collar/pink-collar labor.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

litany of gulps posted:

Anyone that knows what it actually entails respects the program. Why do you think a class like this gets dismissed by the ignorant? What are they really saying? This isn't at all off-topic.
A: Schools like Courdon Bleu have horrible standards. They are actually closing all their US schools because the teachers became so lax that a cert from their school is considered worse than no experience.
B: Overcompensation. For example, the board of regents is always on our rear end to make it "more educational" so now every single class involves math and writing papers because that's what they think academics looks like.
C: Most people only have to cook to impress their friends and family, and not a culinary teacher. Their work will never be timed or graded.
D: Grandma can make her thanksgiving gravy fine without knowing that she's polymerizing starches and denaturing protein. Learning why things work the way they do is much harder than simply knowing how to do it.
E: TV only shows the cooking part of being a chef, so people don't really think about the chemistry, physics, history, visual arts, accounting, and business management the job actually requires. Not to mention some people use "chef" to mean "a good cook." Look at what the ACF requires to become a master chef: it's loving impossible and almost no one gets there. Taking the test requires two recommendation letters from other master chefs. There are 67 in the world. The test itself costs 3,800 dollars, is 8 days long, and is judged partially by historical accuracy. This is extremely difficult. You need to be taking continuing education classes and re-certify every 5 years. Compare that to "win a reality TV contest."
F: STEM or it doesn't count.

In short: the dunning-kruger effect strikes again!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

F: STEM or it doesn't count.

If you all want shop back, just call it a maker space or fablab.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

on the left posted:

i've waited all my life for this

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

litany of gulps posted:

To add onto this thread of the discussion in a more general sense, things like shop, culinary programs, etc. all get cut because they're not seen as worthy. The emphasis in schools is a reflection of cultural values. The cultural values that are emphasized are part of a larger narrative hit on by popular culture and media, and that essentially get believed by all corners of society: "Smart" people go to college, jobs that actually require working with your hands or that don't require college are for "stupid" people. Our society is also horrifyingly individualistic, and attempts to blame any life problems a given person has on themselves. If a person is poor, why didn't they go to college? Look at [generic exceptional success story]! If they can do it, why not everyone?--completely ignoring reality, the fact that there are certain jobs that will need to be done, systemic problems like racism, poverty, etc. It was heartbreaking teaching in a small town school, where so many kids had internalized that their entire town was a dead-end, and if you were going to make it in life, you had to escape it. Poverty is framed as the fault of the individual. The school I'm at now is obsessed with getting elementary students ready for college, as if that's the only worthy goal you can have in life.

I think because of our individualism in the US and because the variety of narratives, schools (and the teachers at them) suffering from external factors are blamed. It's much easier to find a single thing and call that the problem, rather than to actually address the systemic issues all connected to it. There's a reason when someone asked "how do we fix effectively segregated poor schools that are disproportionately black people" with "fix poverty,"--it has a massive effect, yet you'll never hear it on the table of a discussion of fixing education by policy makers or the media. They'll say, yeah, these folks are poor, but they won't talk about that problem as if it can be fixed--it's teachers and educator's fault for not fixing it, or dang, it's too bad their poor, how terrible, nothing we can do though. And so you end up with poo poo policies like for-profit charter schools and the undermining of unions. The people doing it may actually believe it's better. Capitalists like, say, Bill Gates or Betsy DeVos who are trying to reform education can't possibly grasp the issue fully, because if they did they'd have to admit their worldview was flawed and they were responsible for so many problems in education (and more generally).

Next, while OtL isn't debating in good faith (he might believe his horrid poo poo, but he's not debating), the idea that there's some inherent "intelligence" quality is common, and most people know on some level anyone can learn things, but the internalized narrative is people are "good" or "bad" at a subject, and that's an immutable quality. Jo Boaler at Stanford has a short class (used to be online for free, but I can't find it) about how students often felt like they were either "good" at math or "bad" at it, and how both ideas destroyed their ability to get better at math. There's some genetic component to intelligence, but how good someone gets at math is far outweighed by how they practice it, and it's actually important for students to believe they can get better at something before they actually do get better at it (the article goes into more depth). This is true not just for math, but pretty much everything that can be learned.

shovelbum posted:

Yeah I guess you could use the same model in high school, though part of me thinks the goal of high school should be to create a standardized citizen of some kind so that in an emergency they're a known quantity.
I think there's certain things every kid should know or be able to do by the time they're out of high school, but I think we should be wary of creating a "standardized citizen." No one is average (I recommend the book The End of Average which goes into more depth, but here's a short article summarizing a key point). There's far too many different things different professions need to know. While I talk about how intelligence is not an immutable factor above, we do know that people's brains tend to work differently, and so there's more than one way to learn things, many different paths to success, and every region is going to have different resources, communities, etc. There's no such thing as a standard person, so education needs to be differentiated not just in the classroom, but I think regionally as well. Create a baseline of "poo poo they should know," but also allow flexibility in reaching it and don't just focus on that baseline.

The other thing people need to consider is this: What are schools and teachers responsible for? It seems like, as the years go on, they're responsible for everything. Not just math, literacy, science, art, music, and history, but life skills, sex ed, economics, technology, cooking, accounting. Schools then also get told to teach character traits like responsibility, respect, grit, then also add social skills, and add this and add that. People get mad they were taught math in school, but not specifically taught how to balance a budget. Partially, this is a problem of "schools" and the "real world" being separate domains in most peoples mind, and the fact that for a variety of reasons, people are unable to apply what they learned in the classroom to life. But what domains are the responsibilities of parents and guardians? If people aren't able to apply what they learn in classrooms to the world, is keeping kids boxed up in tiny rooms the best way to teach them? (Probably not). If we are going to also teach life skills, do we take away other courses? Do we add on hours to the school day? (Most places go with: Add the burden on teachers, then don't give them any additional time or resources to do so; yell 'integrate it!' while farting off towards the sunset). Part of the problem with education is that it's modeled off a 100-year old industrial model designed to make workers that were disciplined, obeyed authority, and were smart, but not too smart. Gains have been made in spite of this model, I think, but not because of it. For historical reasons, we group kids by age as if that's the thing most important, and keep them isolated from the rest of the world. I don't think that's the best way to do things, and I think there's a lot we know about brains and learning that would support other models, but I also think I've rambled enough here.

If anyone wants me to expand on any of this poo poo or clarify a point, let me know. I could go on for a long time about a lot of stuff.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I'm always shocked at how strongly SA threads about education cling to "trade schools" as a panacea for education reform. Like yeah, it seems like a neat thing some specific school districts could have that could fit in their needs but it just seems so not like a general solution. It seems like the DeVos solution though: stop universal public education and just send kids to different schools that don't have the same standards for things like literacy and math or special ed or anything.

Like the primary problems schools have are stuff like being underfunded, not being able to get the best teachers, having bad buildings, etc. Like it feels weird to treat the solution to that is to continue to underfund any of that and then just spend a whole second education system. One that requires even more specialized teachers and buildings and equipment. Unless the idea that it wouldn't even be "in addition to" but "instead of" and that certain towns would simply be deemed lost causes for traditional education.

I also don't get what percent of the population is expected to go through these schools in these plans. Like if it's 1 in 10,000 kids or something that that will be a huge boon for that kid, but if we restructure all of society to make 1 in 4 kids plumbers or something that goes no where.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
After skimming through this thread, I’m surprised nobody really mentioned how this is going to hit STEM yet. Unless you don’t have a life, a typical engineering program is already a 5 year degree process. Anything high schools neglect end up being carried over into college programs through courses that should have been part of their high school material to begin with.

Also lol I can’t wait for budget cuts to hit our graduate programs and cause massive brain drain. I managed to get through my Master’s degree because of NASA and the NSF. Kids entering their sophomore year right now might not get that chance.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm always shocked at how strongly SA threads about education cling to "trade schools" as a panacea for education reform. Like yeah, it seems like a neat thing some specific school districts could have that could fit in their needs but it just seems so not like a general solution.

If you don’t join a union, your wages are going to be crap. If you do join a union, you’re going to take a pay cut because for the older members. Either way forget about retiring or sending your kids to college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiterallyTheWurst
Feb 5, 2015

Sendik's Original

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Next, while OtL isn't debating in good faith (he might believe his horrid poo poo, but he's not debating), the idea that there's some inherent "intelligence" quality is common, and most people know on some level anyone can learn things, but the internalized narrative is people are "good" or "bad" at a subject, and that's an immutable quality. Jo Boaler at Stanford has a short class (used to be online for free, but I can't find it) about how students often felt like they were either "good" at math or "bad" at it, and how both ideas destroyed their ability to get better at math. There's some genetic component to intelligence, but how good someone gets at math is far outweighed by how they practice it, and it's actually important for students to believe they can get better at something before they actually do get better at it (the article goes into more depth). This is true not just for math, but pretty much everything that can be learned.

The problem you've described in math is a part of a much larger problem in education. When parents and teachers confuse learned skills with inherent quality, they teach that same fallacy to students. You can see this in loads of studies, including the ones where students who are reminded of their race or gender before a test achieve lower scores, in studies promoting process praise, and I'd argue you see it with students with behavioral problems who start talking about how bad they are when they act like little jerks in the classroom.

Still, there is a population of students in every school with lower cognitive abilities who will achieve a smaller rate of academic growth, and who will not qualify for the small group instruction that comes with an IEP. That shouldn't be a problem, but Americans demand that a comfortable living should be denied to anyone lacking a college education, inherited wealth, or magical autodidactic abilities. As usual, schools are responsible when neo-liberal wet dreams never become real.

• Locked thread