Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

yeah considering the relative weakness of that group, it was a great set of matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
gently caress the haters, TvT for life. This group was great.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

holy poo poo larva vs. light game 1 :eyepop:

e: holy poo poo a 4pool lmfao

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 8, 2020

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
Game 1 winners was insane. Highly recommended.

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
holy poo poo! that was amazing. Amazing!

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I wish more scourge connected in the protoss base in the ogre gamer game. It would have been a wildly different game!

Ogre gaming is a sound strategical choice.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 8, 2020

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

First look at Plasma (losers game 1), and it gave us pretty crazy game too.

Kinda disappointed we actually got an infested Command Center, but still didn't see Infested Terrans get into play.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Lmao at Larva’s nasty rear end feet

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

skasion posted:

Lmao at Larva’s nasty rear end feet

Hey having seen them up close I can say they're perfectly reasonable feet, larva is just a big dude and big dudes got big feets

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
can’t stop laughing at ogre Zerg

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

time for flash playing random in a tournament for the first time :supaburn:

i hope he gets out 2nd so we can see a maximum number of matches from him tonight

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
lol Flash wtf

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
holy poo poo flash

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

flash is completely ridiculous

e:holy fuuuuuuuuuuck snow vs free game 3

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 11, 2020

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Holy poo poo, Snow.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
It always cracks me up how frequently flash can blindly move his army and just completely out position people. He just sits around for a few minutes with no vision and then casually moves around an army he can't see getting the perfect position.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 11, 2020

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I finally had time to watch the second half of today's games. What an ASL so far.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
I have a long personal history of underestimating just how absolutely insane Flash is, and this is yet another time. WTF Flash.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

I wish I could play 1% as good as flash.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my only fear is that the rest of asl cannot possibly live up to last night tbh, that was a fuckin great night of starcraft

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
That was some drat good PVP, and I hate PVP.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I love how they show the countdown in the lobby during flash's games just to add that extra bit of suspense to the race coinflip. I really hope he makes it to the finals, the potential for amazing storylines is just so high regardless of whether he wins or loses.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mata posted:

I love how they show the countdown in the lobby during flash's games just to add that extra bit of suspense to the race coinflip. I really hope he makes it to the finals, the potential for amazing storylines is just so high regardless of whether he wins or loses.
I just hope he doesn't get a lot of ZvZs. I feel like any other matchup he has a real chance, but in that matchup it just requires way too much micro that has no terran analogue and doesn't play into his strengths at all.

I'm glad Tastless+Artosis are realizing what the zerg life is all about. You are playing a race that can gambit in 3 different directions at any given moment. Direction 1, you make a few more drones than you "should" if it were a game of perfect vision. Gambit 2, you make a few less drones than you should and make your opponent prove he's being honest & on your level. Gambit 3, your opponent counters your tech but you don't switch and keep massing that tech unit anyway (OGRE ZERG GAMER).

Ogre zerg seems to have a massive issue in BW where when your opponent gets enough corsairs they hard counter scourge. That happened a few times this ASL.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 13, 2020

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Is that what that stupid OGRE ZERG bit was about? I felt like changing to the Korean streams every time because christ were those forced

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SCOUT

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Aces High posted:

Is that what that stupid OGRE ZERG bit was about? I felt like changing to the Korean streams every time because christ were those forced
It was about in ZvP where you go mutas and your opponent knows. Artosis, the principled player, views the only option as then tech switching or moving the game plan forward. In his mind it's a dead end because not only are you stopped in the air and by static defense but the psi storm followup is inevitable. Tasteless said a lot of times the zergs will just keep making mutas and hide it from you. Maybe they won't even show you the initial mutas. You'll start making corsairs and cannons to prepare for the mutas that never come or where they come and you stop them. Then you feel comfortable and think the game goes to the next phase until the zerg shows up with 20 more mutas a few minutes later.

They dubbed it ogre zerg because it doesn't seem smart to keep making units that your opponent "countered". The ogre is stubborn and is going to beat you to death with his weapon of choice whether you think you countered it or not.

The reality is ogre zerg works fairly well. If your opponent under reacts in a game of imperfect information you just roll him. If your opponent can't keep up mechanically you will roll him (and overrate the strategy, the players who overmade scourges and got crushed fell for this imo). If he makes sufficient things to negate it his tech is delayed and he is "matching" your resource expenditure on static defense and a flying unit that can't hit ground. You can then use mutas to snipe high templar, get great information, and be a constant pest while he can use corsairs to constantly scout & threaten your mutas and overlords. It's a very dynamic way to play that isn't seeking an advantage so much as an imbalance where both sides now have to juggle machetes in addition to the rest of the normal matchup. The zerg has the worse end of it in an actual fight, but to get into an actual fight you have to cross the map and the mutas can more than pay for themselves in high templar snipes & storms cast.

Then there is the reality that zerg has the option to not make mutas at all. Or to stop at a few. Whether the player has a tendency to crutch on mutas or not can heavily weigh on protoss decision making. Larva abuses this often, because he loves to get mutas vs protoss but he will fake or avoid getting mutas sometimes in critical games.

edit: Just watched today's games. You can see this stuff at play even more than in the previous games of the tournament. Including what happens when Protoss doesn't buy into the corsair hype.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 13, 2020

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

Man, your post is why I sometimes love nerds.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I think what these past couple days have told me is that we need a Zerg main caster more frequently, get Cadenzie back on the mic

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i crashed right after the last game this morning, before they drew for the round of 8

i feel so bad for rush lmfao

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i really doubt rush wins tonight but i hope this goes to 5 games. also i hope flash gets zerg a lot, i have not seen nearly enough of his zerg.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
"I'm going into this tournament thinking like a rookie" Flash, one of the most decorated esports champions in history

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

welp

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
It was nice to see Flash play Zerg for 5 seconds rip Rush.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
If flash could play random vs terran only I'd probably bet on him to win the tournament.

I really want to see how he approaches ZvT. His opener was clearly to punish CC first, but that's more meta gaming against how rush expects flash to play: scout late, be as greedy as possible. Zerg should be flash' weakest race both playing as and against. And it looks like the top 4 is going to be a zergfest

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 18, 2020

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

As someone who doesn't play scr, I noticed during Flash vs Rush they all have different sized view boxes on the minimap. Both flash and rush have a smaller window available where as the observer is biggest. I know in sc2 observer can zoom out farther so i assume the same is true in sc1. But what I don't get is why flash would play on a more zoomed in screen. Wouldn't he want the most vision possible? Does a lower resolution help with micro?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Keegers posted:

As someone who doesn't play scr, I noticed during Flash vs Rush they all have different sized view boxes on the minimap. Both flash and rush have a smaller window available where as the observer is biggest. I know in sc2 observer can zoom out farther so i assume the same is true in sc1. But what I don't get is why flash would play on a more zoomed in screen. Wouldn't he want the most vision possible? Does a lower resolution help with micro?

boy if you think that's weird, definitely don't look up how rain plays

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Keegers posted:

Flash isn't zoomed in, he's playing with a different aspect ratio (not widescreen). If I had to guess he prefers having the important UI elements like the minimap and resource counters closer to the center of the screen. Decades of muscle memory for snapping the mouse cursor around also probably plays a role.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Keegers posted:

SC:R added spectator zoom. One player plays at 16:9, the other 4:3.

People who played old BW a ton will play pillarbox (4:3) so they have all of the muscle memory/pattern recognition that they practiced for thousands (probably 20,000+ hours for those who have been grinding since the kespa team house days). Blizzard were kind enough to add a dpi scaling option so the mouse will even feel identical to old 800x600 bw at modern 4:3 resolutions.

New players need to choose between pillarbox and bottom-left ui 16:9.

There is a "standard" minimap position option in 16:9 that pads the side and matches 4:3 minimap position, but it can obscure units due to UI size. Especially near the sides of the map. The other frustration is you can't scroll past the edge of the map in BW, so when you go to the edge of the map everything is in a very strange position relative to where you expect it to be if you played a ton of 4:3. Even if you are a 16:9 player, like me, who has played other RTS games a lot (like SC2) the edge of map behavior is frustrating enough that you might consider playing 4:3.

4:3

Standard (same position as 4:3, notice you can't see the drone, also notice the drone could be hidden in tons of places because you can move behind those minerals)

Bottom-left

The drone in the bottom left illustrates the main differences. The edge and corner of the map are super important in BW because bases tend to be there and lots of harass happens there too. The screen is in the same position in all 3 screenshots. I just want to emphasize again that you literally can not scroll farther left or farther down in any of those three screenshots.

16:9 doesn't give enough of an advantage to get people to switch, but it might give enough of an advantage that new players should play 16:9. You also see people playing 4:3 in counter-strike quite often, although stretched 4:3 not black bar 4:3, for similar minor min-max reasons + muscle memory/visual pattern recognition. And there are times they will get killed when they would have hit a flick shot had they played 16:9. In BW you can play around the vision difference quite well due to the nature of the game, but there are probably times it helps. I haven't really played SCR more than a few hours so maybe there are even more differences I didn't notice.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 19, 2020

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Thanks for the thorough explanation.

And thanks everyone else as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

Hope we'll get to see Flash's muta micro by the end of the tournament, I wonder how he'll fare when he's not on the receiving end of it.