Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
idk if they're even doing it for 'free or super cheap' so much as they're almost inevitably cheaper than tastosis who are probably the most expensive english starcraft (or sc2 for that matter) casters. That said, content use laws are different in Korea and scan might just be casting dubs of the stream with no arrangement with afreeca at all. It's also a funny arrangement because artosis and scan are friends and do a lot of joint streaming stuff as well.

Most likely there was just zero reason to have an english ASL stream because ASL viewership is like 95% korean and many of the english viewers are there just to watch tastosis rather than particularly caring about the ASL. Honestly the current arrangement probably is about the best for everyone involved as the tastosis asl patreon is currently at 10k/mo and I'd be very surprised if ASL's meager english viewership would support tastosis making even a fraction of that from afreeca. Plus afreeca gets to keep the tastosis streams on their site and tastosis get to pimp their patreon on stream a bunch.

Also scan and nyoken do good work so it's nice to see them get a couple days of lead time on the casts so they can build more of an audience

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
ASL english fell through because they wanted something with live streams on afreeca. This would violate tasteless', and more importantly, artosis' twitch partner contracts. They could have likely tried to negotiate with twitch as they will make exceptions in cases like this, but it's unlikely either one of them is that well connected or business savvy.

ASL wouldn't really budge on that, and at least for artosis I bet he makes more in a night of raging at his opponents than he does than from a week of ASL casting. Before the pay cut.

re: scan/nyoken, I am fairly sure they are not even getting paid. They constantly shill that people should watch live & watch the videos to show there is a need for a live english cast. Tasteless & Artosis' patreon proves there is a demand and need so it seems kinda ridiculous for scan & nyoken to constantly say it. The english cast was kinda weird to begin with from ASL's point of view. They weren't really extracting money from viewers very efficiently, and the only way to do that would be to favor streaming on twitch which is a bit weird when they run a competing platform. ASL never even had an english sponsor.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 7, 2022

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I don't think scan and nyoken are doing it "for free" (though maybe Afreeca doesn't pay them a lot) since they also have a patreon, but you run into that problem of you aren't Tastosis (or maybe Falcon Paladin) so you aren't hauling in thousands each month, or even multiple hundreds

Khorne
May 1, 2002
There seems to be no bitterness between scan+nyoken and artosis+tasteless. I'm fairly sure they have even publicly wished them luck and said positive things about them. I'm not sure I'd call them scabs.

quote:

patreon
I forgot that they had a patreon. I'm not really sure they are being paid by ASL itself.

Aces High posted:

I don't think scan and nyoken are doing it "for free" (though maybe Afreeca doesn't pay them a lot) since they also have a patreon, but you run into that problem of you aren't Tastosis (or maybe Falcon Paladin) so you aren't hauling in thousands each month, or even multiple hundreds
Tastosis are successful because they're charismatic, albeit in a non-traditional way, and tasteless especially has/had a voice for casting.

Some of the amateur casts and alternative casts aren't nearly as good even if they have players who are more knowledgeable. I'd love to see a trio cast or if they start covering team/other events having an artosis+x or tasteless+y cast sometime.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 7, 2022

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The impression I've gotten is that Scanyoken don't get paid by afreeca, their casts are on their own channel and at least on youtube, don't go up until the next day, although I don't know if they livestream them on twitch or something.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Elyv posted:

The impression I've gotten is that Scanyoken don't get paid by afreeca, their casts are on their own channel and at least on youtube, don't go up until the next day, although I don't know if they livestream them on twitch or something.

IIRC last season I was able to watch the ASL live broadcast on afreecatv.com with scan/nyoken casting

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
RO4 appears today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkcsCsYvhjQ

We're at the point where it's best of 7, so the players start to bring out the more decisive builds..

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
And the next one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCf040jYjGE

Haven't finished it yet but the first two games have some of the most satisfying storms I have ever seen.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

animatorZed posted:

Haven't finished it yet but the first two games have some of the most satisfying storms I have ever seen.
This gave me flashbacks to the early '00s when I was learning the game and got steam rolled by corsairs endless times when I tried to play zerg. Especially the 2nd game. This game is unbelievably hard and was even harder when people hadn't figured out how to handle all the bullshit you can be subjected to in every matchup.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 8, 2022

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

animatorZed posted:

And the next one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCf040jYjGE

Game three was pretty weird, I don't believe I've seen anyone leading 150 - 100 in supply lose before, though soma did look good despite this

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
holy gently caress soma vs rain game 2

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Syncopated posted:

Game three was pretty weird, I don't believe I've seen anyone leading 150 - 100 in supply lose before, though soma did look good despite this

It happens in Zerg matchups; it's still a lead, but the zerg army tends to be more supply efficient than the protoss and terran armies so they can hang on even with a significant supply deficit

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Khorne posted:

Tastosis are successful because they're charismatic, albeit in a non-traditional way, and tasteless especially has/had a voice for casting.

Some of the amateur casts and alternative casts aren't nearly as good even if they have players who are more knowledgeable. I'd love to see a trio cast or if they start covering team/other events having an artosis+x or tasteless+y cast sometime.

As someone who watched a lot of baseball and football growing up, Tastosis no one when to fill the air with inane banter and know when to call the match and make things exciting and tell you what's going on in depth. Their energy is phenomenal, they are very similar to an American broadcast team and when I hear others do it, its just so dry and lifeless.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Game 5 of the bronze match has a pretty cool cannon rush hold. Though aren't you supposed to lose the game if the rush fails? Not for Bisu I guess.

Syncopated fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 11, 2022

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Finals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djZt3n1Po6s

Whelp, back to the classic underwhelming finals after a good season. Traditions.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Syncopated posted:

Game 5 of the bronze match has a pretty cool cannon rush hold. Though aren't you supposed to lose the game if the rush fails? Not for Bisu I guess.

even though he didn't actually kill the hatch he still did a ton of damage and forced a bunch of lings so he was fine

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

animatorZed posted:

Finals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djZt3n1Po6s

Whelp, back to the classic underwhelming finals after a good season. Traditions.

:whitewater:

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Not gonna lie I liked the finals, 1 great game, 1 good game, and Light won

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
It's really good to see light just wrecking these nexus first plays, hopefully the meta moves away from it soon. Either the terran commits to an all in or has to play super defensively for the next 20 minutes. I don't want to see nexus first go away completely but it's prevalence has really killed the mid-game of TvP. A somewhat disappointingly short finals but at least it was in favor of light.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I also liked the finals, and not just because I was cheering for Light. That first game was a great slugfest. The rest felt like they may have been fast, but were razor edged aggressive games (with the exception of game 2, but you can't blame Light for taking an easy win after that mistake by Rain). Sure, I'd have enjoyed another six games like the first one, but a well executed aggressive series, where one player seizes momentum and then crushes, can be interesting in its own way. I seem to remember that people, at the time, hated that triple bunker rush finals that Boxer did to Yellow, but it's now considered to be a classic series.

Editing to say I just looked up the Boxer series and I was wrong, it was a semifinal. Apparently he faced iloveoov in the finals.

Lemony fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 16, 2022

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Lemony posted:

I also liked the finals, and not just because I was cheering for Light. That first game was a great slugfest. The rest felt like they may have been fast, but were razor edged aggressive games (with the exception of game 2, but you can't blame Light for taking an easy win after that mistake by Rain). Sure, I'd have enjoyed another six games like the first one, but a well executed aggressive series, where one player seizes momentum and then crushes, can be interesting in its own way. I seem to remember that people, at the time, hated that triple bunker rush finals that Boxer did to Yellow, but it's now considered to be a classic series.

Editing to say I just looked up the Boxer series and I was wrong, it was a semifinal. Apparently he faced iloveoov in the finals.

It's especially interesting because it was terran aggression which we don't succeed all that much in the ASL lately.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Had no idea this was happening despite following everyone involved so didn't catch it live, but Tasteless & artosis & friends had some Starcraft lan party and it opens with light vs barracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWWNftQ0RWk

Day2: vod here

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Holy poo poo that first game

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Khorne posted:

Had no idea this was happening despite following everyone involved so didn't catch it live, but Tasteless & artosis & friends had some Starcraft lan party and it opens with light vs barracks:

This was really good and I hope that they do more of them

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
This was kinda cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rC1_np9v1U

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Khorne posted:

This was great.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
where's the content for this thriving game

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Afaik mostly on artosis’ second channel where he’s put up commented non-korean tournament games the past month or so. I think we have a few months till the next ASL season

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Speaking of Artosis, he's moving to Canada. I doubt it affects the ASL casts or Artosiscasts much though

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

asl season 14 starts august 9th :getin:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
wrong thread :lol:

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 21, 2022

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Khorne posted:

There seems to be no bitterness between scan+nyoken and artosis+tasteless. I'm fairly sure they have even publicly wished them luck and said positive things about them. I'm not sure I'd call them scabs.

This is kinda old but let me try to dispel the drama. Nyoken is old friends with Artosis and Tasteless - Artosis literally helped Nyoken travel to Korea to get a start in casting Brood War. Scan is friends with them as well. Any hard feelings that might exist are not gonna be between those guys but related to whatever negotiations took place between Afreeca and Nick/Dan. I am also 1000% certain that Tasteless and Artosis would rather SOMEONE be covering ASL than no one, and they know their own worth so if they turned down an opportunity my guess is they are absolutely happy that Scan/Nyoken are picking up the slack even if they still would prefer to have the ASL gig.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

also scan has been on artosis' stream several times since he and nyoken started doing the live asl. as in like, at artosis' house, though i assume since artosis just moved to canada that is unlikely to happen again any time soon.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

asl season 14 starts august 9th :getin:

reminder that ASL is starting in a couple of days

also the maps are out https://liquipedia.net/starcraft/AfreecaTV_StarCraft_League_Remastered/14#Maps

can't believe arkanoid is back

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Did Scan qualify again? Didn't Artosis play in a qualifier for one of the recent seasons?

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
A lot of those maps look like there's a lot of potential to sneak units around different sides of the map. Is Flash ever coming back? He's not in this season. He went to the military in 2019 and it's only 2 years long so I figured we'd be seeing him again.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Loiku posted:

A lot of those maps look like there's a lot of potential to sneak units around different sides of the map. Is Flash ever coming back? He's not in this season. He went to the military in 2019 and it's only 2 years long so I figured we'd be seeing him again.
e: I am confused about timelines here. No idea when Flash will be back.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 8, 2022

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Khorne posted:

e: I am confused about timelines here. No idea when Flash will be back.

Nah, my timeline might be wrong. I just looked at the top result on Google the first time which was an article from 2019. Looking further it looks like he might have went last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Loiku posted:

Nah, my timeline might be wrong. I just looked at the top result on Google the first time which was an article from 2019. Looking further it looks like he might have went last year?
Yes, he went to the military in May last year.