Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

ZvZ is simultaneously the most boring and the most interesting matchup. Its the same thing every time but the micro is so intense that even the tiniest slipup can completely tilt a game one way or another. Its fascinating in that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
They should make a ZvZ map where everything but the bases is blanketed in missile turrets so you have to tech to guardians to get your air army out

Who am I kidding, it would just be zergling wars

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

My hot take is that ZvZ is only my second least favorite matchup and that PvP is worse

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Elyv posted:

My hot take is that ZvZ is only my second least favorite matchup and that PvP is worse

TvT was hot garbage for a long time up until very recently where the meta opened up a bit. PvP also has some variety.

It's too bad that 2v2 never became a thing.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Tried to start up battle.net to play a couple games

42 minutes just to log into battle.net
:aaa: :aaaaa:

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

Elyv posted:

Same for me, it feels like there is at least a bit of variety in ZvZ builds while in PvP it looks like they have identical builds most of the time and then duke it out at minute 10 of the match with that one fight finishing the match.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah agree on that, PvP has always been boring. As I mentioned ZvZ is weird / interesting in its own right and while TvT can be very drawn out, sometimes you get awesome macro slugfests where BCs, ghosts, and nukes get used. PvP is just reaver duels for 10 minutes and then the match ends when one player gets more dragoons than the other. Or it just ends right away when someone pulls off a DT rush.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz3_i8XtflQ
I‘ve only seen game 1 so far, and it is a nailbiter.

So much more back and forth in comparison to a ZvZ.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

DTurtle posted:

This is amazing series and game 5 showing the power of the Wraith and it just devolves into a slugfest.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
JYJ vs Soulkey: that game 5 ruled, I watched the first 3 and could only listen to the last two, but went back to watch the last.

Elyv posted:

correct take, ZvZ is short so any boring games are at least over fast. I think TvT was the worst by far (except that I have zero interest in protoss), but the matchup has sped up a lot recently.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

TvT was hot garbage for a long time up until very recently where the meta opened up a bit. PvP also has some variety.

It's too bad that 2v2 never became a thing.

I've actually liked professional TvT ever since I started watching starcraft, although amateur TvT is awful because no one knows when or if they can break

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
professional tvt is great in moderation, but yeah no one wants to watch like 25 TvTs back to back. tbh I enjoy all the mirrors as long as they're mixed in with plenty of non-mirrors

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DTurtle posted:

excellent series, but man, i wanted soulkey to move on, he's prolly the best active player who has never won asl. then again i don't know that he'd have beaten hero next round anyway, zvz is soulkey's worst matchup whereas hero is monstrous at it. in fact looking at the final 4, i think hero is the favorite overall. best usually underperforms and never even makes it to the round of 8, mind was historically a beast but that was eons ago, and i don't think jyj has ever even made it past the round of 16 before. then again i'd have picked almost any other asl regular to win last season over royal and i have been wrong in like every prediction i've ever made here, so.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Just finished watching that series and the last game is just as much of a nailbiter as the first.

Definitely a series worth watching!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Semifinal 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGshgMdlJ_o

I thought Best would win but his big strength, winning impossible battles, was really absorbed by Mind's very deliberate play.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I think Mind won that series more than Best lost it. Mind’s preparation seemed insane, especially in Game 1 where it felt like he had every single second and play of the game mapped out for Heartbreak Ridge. Artosis made a good comment on the fact that Mind did a crazy 2 Fac build for 76 and likely didnt practice the map otherwise to focus on other things. Really good games, I think Best played well, but Mind just came in with a rock solid plan for the series

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Such good games. I cracked the piggy bank and chipped in to the patreon b/c I get so much joy out of the casts.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Second Ro4 is up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APR7Ug3J0Zc

Only watched game one, but when I saw JyJ scout the third main with his army but not see the hidden hatchery in the corner I got chills.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I watched the first four games: I think JyJ might have had some nerves going because the first two games felt a bit sloppy, but he's tied the series up and the last two wins were pretty dominant victories. Probably won't be able to watch the last 3 till Monday though :sigh:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

The games are so good!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

this is certainly not the finals i expected and i have no idea who takes it

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

JYJ final words to Hero in pregame interview: “you have been a favorite to win an ASL for a long time now. You can remain a favorite.”

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Great series.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Great series though I am disappointed the finals will be another TvT.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

Great series though I am disappointed the finals will be another TvT.

Counterpoint: TvT owns

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwez26aXo4A
A lot of slow, methodical games today, if you're into that.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

it was a really good series as far as tvt goes. mind played extremely well and the final score didn't necessarily reflect that. that said please no mirror match finals next season, thnx

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it was a really good series as far as tvt goes. mind played extremely well and the final score didn't necessarily reflect that. that said please no mirror match finals next season, thnx

as a TvT enjoyer I was very hyped for the series but halfway through game 1 when JyJ erased a clear build order win by simply outmultitasking and outpositioning him I was like, "oh JyJ has this huh"

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Mind's low APM was his downfall. So many situations where JyJ was obviously microing his units more than Mind and winning fights he shouldn't have

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

I didn't really enjoy the finals but the season as a whole was very fun!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Randomly saw an old blurry video of a rush on twitter about a month ago and thought "I wonder if any of the stuff I used to watch is online" and lost some rainy days getting nostalgic listening to Tasteless say "The Panda Bear Guy." Was sad I couldn't find the monkey milk game and wasn't going to give it a lot more thought until I saw this thread and started watching the new ASL. Could not believe so many of the pros I remembered from 15 years ago were still/back to playing. Can't believe I am going to end up spending money on Professional Starcraft in TYOOL 2023 after basically forgetting about it for over a decade.

Also randomly had a friend ask me about the monkey milk game this weekend who had no idea I was watching.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

as far as i can tell, the overwhelming majority of the gomtv era is lost unfortunately

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

as far as i can tell, the overwhelming majority of the gomtv era is lost unfortunately

I was surprised that there was a full season and a half on youtube, but even more surprised the monkey milk clip was no more.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

I was surprised that there was a full season and a half on youtube, but even more surprised the monkey milk clip was no more.
sacsri (Z) vs Much (P) game 3 from the RO64 of gomtv classic s3 on the map god's garden is what you're looking for. It took place on 4/28/2009.

This channel had the video up through 2020 at this url but it's privated & while archive.org captured the page successfully twice I don't believe they have public video archives for youtube from that period.

It's highly likely this vod is gone due to friendly requests from the casters involved. Not a whole lot of unlisted starcraft vods from 2009 on the teamliquid archive channel get privated.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 16, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Khorne posted:

sacsri (Z) vs Much (P) game 3 from the RO64 of gomtv classic s3 on the map god's garden is what you're looking for. It took place on 4/28/2009.

This channel had the video up through 2020 at this url but it's privated & while archive.org captured the page successfully twice I don't believe they have public video archives for youtube from that period.

It's highly likely this vod is gone due to friendly requests from the casters involved. Not a whole lot of unlisted starcraft vods from 2009 on the teamliquid archive channel get privated.

When trying to find it I found people talking about SDM being annoyed that people kept bringing up monkey milk to him so I guess I can understand wanting it gone so it doesn't end up as a viral video.

I made it up to the Semi Finals of the ASL without reading spoilers and decided "I'm curious about the history of this thing, let's google it" and immediately scrolled down the list of the winners to the end like an idiot. Really incredible tournament. I love 76.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

When trying to find it I found people talking about SDM being annoyed that people kept bringing up monkey milk to him so I guess I can understand wanting it gone so it doesn't end up as a viral video.

I made it up to the Semi Finals of the ASL without reading spoilers and decided "I'm curious about the history of this thing, let's google it" and immediately scrolled down the list of the winners to the end like an idiot. Really incredible tournament. I love 76.
you missed larva deliberately keeping a drone idle during g1, playing with his foot to close out g2, and taking a nap during g3 of an event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSJM9qF0txw

hard to believe that was 5 years ago now. He got banned from future zotac cup events as a result.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 18, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Khorne posted:

you missed larva deliberately keeping a drone idle during g1, playing with his foot to close out g2, and taking a nap during g3 of an event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSJM9qF0txw

hard to believe that was 5 years ago now. He got banned from future zotac cup events as a result.

Free this man.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I was told Larva hurt his wrists and now is a variety streamer, he has two youtube channels:
a vlogging or something channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/%EC%95%A1%EC%85%98%ED%99%8D%EA%B5%AC/featured
blizzard/starcraft channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4P7F8qenDo1O_5NvgBb_cg/featured

e: a starcraft channel getting 250k views on every video, geez Korea still loves them some SC

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 20, 2023

Khorne
May 1, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

Free this man.
He didn't get banned from the ASL and went on to win one around that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Khorne posted:

He didn't get banned from the ASL and went on to win one around that time.

I'll have to go back and watch. I ended up watching Season 14 too and it feels like the quality of play is way more entertaining now than before Starcraft 2. It's hard to judge because I didn't get to watch a ton of old stuff when I got nostalgic this spring, but it does feel noticeable.