Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
:carol:Finally, a thread where we can post the daily Tomo-chan and hopefully no one will come in to poo poo on it.:carol:

Ostensibly, this is a page-a-day manga about a tomboy named Tomo and her struggle to get her friend Jun to realize he likes her back.

In reality: We all read the manga for Carol.
:carol:

It's a cute manga that can get a bit same-y and repetitive if you focus on the romance aspect of it. Instead, I think you should focus on the cute characters and their interactions.

The characters:
Tomo, the tomboy.

Jun, the idiot.

Yes, yes you are.

Carol, the cutest. :carol:

Mizusu, the misanthrope.

The Gyarus.

Tomomom.

Mizusumom.

Carolmom

There are more characters (and Carol hairstyles) that are cute and good, but you'll have to read it to find them!

You can read it in its entirety on Mangadex or the manga site of your choice, and here's the original webpage that has all of the over 700(!) pages in Japanese, if you can read it.

Also

El Burbo posted:

Free gorf
Edit: Gorf has been freed!

This series has now been licensed by Seven Seas!

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Free gorf

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Girls are not literal poo poo like last thread, quite the improvement.

RIP ReadTomochanToday.

Tomo best girl.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Gorf should not have died for the sins of this bad series

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This manga freakin blows rear end and isn't worth the minute it takes to read each new chapter

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

El Burbo posted:

Free gorf

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The fan-favorite "an adult man gets a 14-year-old girl pregnant and then marries her" arc.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Ah, I love the smell of shitposting in the afternoon.

Not.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Fine, I'll be the brave person to stand up and say it.

I find this comic largely inoffensive, except for the thing duck mentioned which I've never read

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
free Gorfzaplen

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Ah, I love the smell of shitposting in the afternoon.

Not.

It's a series with obvious flaws, of course people are gonna chime in with them in a thread.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I'm waiting til the end of the series for the best of Carol gif

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i stand with carol.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Tomochan is good, and chat thread shitposter bandwagons are bad.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

It's a genuinely fun thing to read that I lost track of ages ago and only just caught up on.

There's just so many Carols to gif though

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

:agreed:

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
Tomo-chan is like White Castle burgers, I don't go there expecting something groundbreaking or high quality, sometimes you just want some simple trashburgers.

Tomo-chan is a delicious trashburger.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
This is okay, and occasionally it's p. good.

Like in the latest chapter.

I don't care if it's inaccurate/liberal translation, it's perfect

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Srice posted:

It's a series with obvious flaws, of course people are gonna chime in with them in a thread.

Yeah, I have my issues with it too. Just remarking on the quality of the complaints themselves.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I would also like to post about posting and carol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Yeah, I have my issues with it too. Just remarking on the quality of the complaints themselves.

On the flip side the praise is basically just "it's cute and good" which ain't high quality critique either!

But I'll step it up and say that it's a manga that starts off with some decent gags, but then it's content to spin its wheels and repeat the same gags with its one-note characters over and over. Sometimes it breaks out of that cycle and there's something clever (usually involving Carol) but for the most part it misses more than it hits and as a result that just makes it incredibly stale to me.

I know there are people here that read a lot of manga that can point to a bunch of series that do similar things with much better execution, but I'm not much of a manga guy these days so I can't name those alternatives off the top of my head.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Srice posted:

On the flip side the praise is basically just "it's cute and good" which ain't high quality critique either!

But I'll step it up and say that it's a manga that starts off with some decent gags, but then it's content to spin its wheels and repeat the same gags with its one-note characters over and over. Sometimes it breaks out of that cycle and there's something clever (usually involving Carol) but for the most part it misses more than it hits and as a result that just makes it incredibly stale to me.

I know there are people here that read a lot of manga that can point to a bunch of series that do similar things with much better execution, but I'm not much of a manga guy these days so I can't name those alternatives off the top of my head.

All valid points. The problem is, "cute" is literally all I think this manga has going for it, so what else can I say?

I do agree that it gets very samey, hence the title and my comment in the OP. The romance seems to fall flat on its face because of that, so all I do is read it for the cute stuff.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Tomo is sometimes funny and almost always cute, it's worth the few minutes I take to read it every few weeks. I appreciate the Carol and Misuzu faces.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'll give it that this has probably the only good incarnation of an "airhead" character ever written.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i liked tomo and then i got bored of tomo and stopped reading tomo

that's all i have to say about tomo

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Tomo-chan is TomOK.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

It being cute doesn't really help that it lost any of its initial draw after nothing kept happening over and over and over and over again. If nothing happens again from the current thing that's happening then it pretty much perfectly illustrates what everyone doesn't like about it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dryzen posted:

It being cute doesn't really help that it lost any of its initial draw after nothing kept happening over and over and over and over again. If nothing happens again from the current thing that's happening then it pretty much perfectly illustrates what everyone doesn't like about it.

Nothing's going to happen.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

More like tomo walking on a treadmill and not getting anywhere am I right

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Carol's entertaining and i have the good Carol strips drip fed to me by snail in the chat thread so I don't really have to invest time into reading it, which is good because it's fairly mediocre

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

also lol the minority of people who don't like it are bandwagoners classic invictus

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

littleorv posted:

More like tomo walking on a treadmill and not getting anywhere am I right

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

If this was a real chat thread bandwagon there would be a page or two of carol empty quotes

Anyway, something I often see said is that this series 500+ pages would only be 25 chapters of a regular 20 page manga, which is technically, but that defense doesn't really hold up. When taking pacing in to consideration it's dumb to ignore the format and 4koma pages have to be more content and progression dense than an average manga page. So the pages are denser but there's nothing happening in them. That plus the daily format makes tomo feel like a grindy slog that isn't going anywhere with static character interactions and jokes that feel repeated day after day.

Recently I was reading Mousou Telepathy, another daily 4koma, and then memory of Tomo made me really appreciate how well paced and meaningful the development of the main character's female friend from two-faced liar to genuine best friends felt.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Nothing will ever happen besides random cute things in tomo, and that's alright with me.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dryzen posted:

Yeah basically this. I assume there are a lot of cute series out there that also have other merits to them! It's why I don't like "but it's cute" as a general defense, there are a lot of options out there! You might as well be drinking dirty rain water when there's a perfectly clean water fountain a few steps away.

El Burbo posted:

Recently I was reading Mousou Telepathy, another daily 4koma, and then memory of Tomo made me really appreciate how well paced and meaningful the development of the main character's female friend from two-faced liar to genuine best friends felt.

I binged that recently and yeah, it might only one page a day but it's clearly developing its characters and knows how to tell more than one joke.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Tell me more about this mousou telepathy manga. Do thousands of people die every page?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I like Tomo cause it's a simple 4koma style thing and it updates once a day so is easy to digest.

Also it's cute and pretty funny sometimes.