Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

So this is a bit of a longer update becuase we're bad at remembering the game. The pets are really starting to come in to their own at this point. Right after this video ended I bought back all the skill points I wasn't really using so I'll be redistributing those at the start of the next video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I wonder how far ahead in deaths Yapo is by now.

Also the dice chat about rolling an 11+ on 2d6, it isn't a 1 in 12 chance.

Also also Gunbound is just Worms/Scorched Earth.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 22, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
1) Valley of Kings was built over a century for a variety of Pharoahs, not one dude and his wives

2) Robert Jordan literally died before finishing the Wheel of Time and they had to get another author to finish it off his notes. Also his planned 'final book' had to be split into 3 thousand page+ tomes because goddamn. Let it be a lesson not to marry your editor.

3) Set killed Osiris and buried him around the world. His wife Isis ran around putting him back together and he became god of the dead since he was a hosed up multipart corpse for a year.

Good LP update, nitpicky bullshot aside. Egypt is probably my favorite part of the game I think and part of that is this tomb diving session. It just feels better than the bland greek caves in the last act and they actually throw mixes of enemies at you instead of throwing waves of one kind of dude at a time.

Zore fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 22, 2017

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Cassa posted:

I wonder how far ahead in deaths Yapo is by now.

Also the dice chat about rolling an 11+ on 2d6, it isn't a 1 in 12 chance.

Also also Gunbound is just Worms/Scorched Earth.

There are 3 ways to roll an 11 or more, 5+6, 6+5, 6+6. There are 36 possible dice outcomes on 2d6.

3/36=1/12

:eng101:

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Don't even front on us for d6 probabilities.

We finally made it to Act 3! We talk about a bunch of dumb stuff because there really isn't a whole lot going on in this section of game, its mostly a straight shot chock full o' monsters.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Act 3 is utter insanity from start to finish.
The environments are really cool; the monsters a series of incredibly bad ideas, each worse than the last.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I wanna say the fish dudes from before you go sewer diving are also new to Act 3.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The Greeks had contacts with Egypt. They regarded them as a very old and respectable civilization. The last Egyptian dynasty was the Ptolemaic, which was descended from Ptolomey, one of Alexander the Great's generals, and possible half-brother.

Asia Minor is modern Turkey. Babylon is in Mesopotamia, which is now mostly Iraq.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Holy gently caress that Phantom Strike is even better than I thought. Distort Reality apparently becomes a caster killer since you drain enemy energy and deal damage based on the amount drained. Grab Psionic Touch since that's good for magical creatures. Put some points into Distortion Field too since it'll give you a bit more tankiness. Enemies seem to hit hard now so jumping into the fray without defense might be a bad idea. Or don't and just play rocket tag; enemies can't kill you if they're dead. gently caress me Dream is stupid good.
If you find anything which reduces cooldowns, grab it. Not just for the dream skills but for your traps. Those will prob be more effective if you can throw out multiples of them.
AoE seems to be the order of the day so when you can pick up Poison Gas Bomb (put just one point into Shrapnel after) and max Flash Powder when you can. I'd say save Envenom Weapon for much later since you already have Blade Honing going.

I dunno how I feel about the Rogue class. It feels like it's trying to do too much and all its skills are too dependent on each other. We got slashes that do bleed AND ALSO slashes that cause piercing AND ALSO poison AND ALSO Aoe poison (dependent on other poison passives) AND ALSO large damage spike that is sort of dependent on bleeding AND ALSO stationary pets.

I can see myself just taking Dream for whatever. Like do if I was a melee class I could just shove some points into its auras and passives and that would be that. Or I could grab psionic touch and its secondary upgrade for ez autoattacks. I can't see myself doing the same for Rogue. Envenom Weapon can take up to 40 SPs. Bleeding skills seem to be smeared across categories which can take almost 80 SP to max out. Check it:

Anatomy - 8
Open Wound - 12
Mortal Wound - 8+1 for lethal strike prereq
Throwing Knife - 12
Flurry of Knives - 6
Shrapnel - 12+1 for Poison Gas Bomb prereq
And I guess
Lucky Hit - 6+1 Calculated Strike prereq

Now granted you will bleed everything ever, which is cool, but since you have like 150-200 SPs to work with at max, I can't see that investment working out. Granted I realize Dream was made intentionally powerful, so the issue isn't that Rogue is so bad but Dream is so good, but idk.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Discount Mercenary must be an Order of the Stick reference: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0023.html

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ah right, Act 3 is where things start getting very funny in this game. In particular one of the earliest segments is quite a trek if you consider the real world implications of the journey.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Lord_Magmar posted:

Ah right, Act 3 is where things start getting very funny in this game. In particular one of the earliest segments is quite a trek if you consider the real world implications of the journey.

Yeah don't mind us, just jogging across the entire continent

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
The ocean is called the Mediterranean for a reason; it's at the middle of the world, at least from an ancient perspective. A lot more of the world was connected way back when than you might suppose.

At the time the Jews were in captivity in Babylon, the Greeks were futzing about with democracy. Greece would soon see the battle at the Hot Gates (where 300 oiled rentboys fought ninja orcs) and then at Marathon, both against the owners of Babylon.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

A lot more of the world was connected way back when than you might suppose.
Romans liked to wear silk. :eng101:

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Pvt.Scott posted:

... 300 oiled rentboys ...

Do go on.

Really though history chat is pretty neat but we need somebody that knows Asian mythology like stat.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
All I really know about asian mythology is that you should not pursue Lu Bu.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So this is roughly where I am right now after the very last video recording which I think isn't up yet but gently caress it?

http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc....0-0-0-1-0-0-0-0

I think most of that is good and fine but I'm going to respec out of the higher tier lich skills for now (maybe forever) they aren't pulling their weight as much as his base auto-attacks are so it's not just wasted points, it's actually points spent making him less effective. I may keep/respec back into the first 2 upgrades as they're big survivability boosts, but if he just lives anyway he won't need him, we have doggos to tank so it might be okay.

I'm going to be shooting for something like this next.

http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc....0-0-0-8-0-0-0-0

With max plague and spirit aura our survivability goes through the rough as does the damage of everything thanks to all the -%resist stuff. After level 46 or so when I hit this point I'll re-evaluate my direction and see if I need more buffs or more pets at that point.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

IMO don't max out Susceptability and Fatigue.

Sus has a max of -39% but for 2 skill points less you get -30%. Dropping enemies down by less than a 10% might be okay for a 6s duration spell, but I'd save those points for upgrading your summons. Up to you tho.

Fatigue basically has no difference between r6 and r8

Saps the strength from diseased enemies causing them to move more slowly and fight less effectively.
(-3)-(-11) Damage, 5% Chance of 64% Reduction to Enemy's Health, 31% Reduced Damage for 3 Seconds, -28% Total Speed

vs

Saps the strength from diseased enemies causing them to move more slowly and fight less effectively.
(-3)-(-15) Damage, 5% Chance of 69% Reduction to Enemy's Health, 36% Reduced Damage for 3 Seconds, -33% Total Speed

That 5% activation is always constant, reducing an enemy's damage by a 20th is so not worth 2 SPs and the attack speed decrease is unimpressive too. Also we're talking about a 6 s condition so idk how great an attack speed reduction is.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

IMO don't max out Susceptability and Fatigue.

Sus has a max of -39% but for 2 skill points less you get -30%. Dropping enemies down by less than a 10% might be okay for a 6s duration spell, but I'd save those points for upgrading your summons. Up to you tho.

Fatigue basically has no difference between r6 and r8

(-3)-(-11) Damage, 5% Chance of 64% Reduction to Enemy's Health, 31% Reduced Damage for 3 Seconds, -28% Total Speed

vs

(-3)-(-15) Damage, 5% Chance of 69% Reduction to Enemy's Health, 36% Reduced Damage for 3 Seconds, -33% Total Speed

That 5% activation is always constant, reducing an enemy's damage by a 20th is so not worth 2 SPs and the attack speed decrease is unimpressive too. Also we're talking about a 6 s condition so idk how great an attack speed reduction is.

Except you have to realize in flat % skills the last percents are the most impactful when you consider it as a ratio of damage reduced. If an enemy does 100 damage and you remove 5% of it, you're reducing it's damage by 5% obviously. But if you're already reducing it's damage by 35% and you reduce it by another 5% you're reducing 65 to 60 which is 7.6% instead of 5. So the last points are the most effective damage reduction ones (and least effective damage amplification ones in the event of something like +% lightning damage). Likewise with things like attack speed.

And also it's only 6 second duration but the skill is an 8 second cooldown iirc so you have a 75% uptime, and with a pet build there is nothing else that I'm doing in the fights so I can afford to spam it nonstop and it's not mana intensive enough to even dip into my pool. So yeah, it's definitely worth maxing all the way.

Also there just isn't that much that is super competitive for my skill points. I could max out some other skills, like the wolf buff, which I absolutely will do but things like the wolf's cleave attack or the lich's aoe blast are just rather underwhelming unless you pump 12-16 points into them and even then it won't be that much better than just the base lich. There aren't that many buffs/debuffs either competing for points, I can put more points into the +% hp aura and upgrade it to provide +% resists as well, then there is the wolf aura (which is awesome by the way, it scales +15% damage at level 1 to +70% damage at 12)

So at level 56 we end up with something like this theoretically.

http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc....-12-0-8-0-0-0-0

And at this point there really isn't anything that truly demands more points. I could buff the lich skills, or put points into the nymph for the hell of it, but none of the other skills are really singing out to me. So saving 4 points in those 2 passives isn't even really nessecary even if they were less effective than the 6 other points I'd dumped into them.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 28, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You could buff Summon Outsider. For 5 More SP his min damage at level 6 is higher than his max damage at level 1

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah, that might be something I go for eventually, I think generally the idea is you only really use him for big bosses anyway and he does that job well enough with just 1 point, but it might be worth investing in just for the heck of it.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Agent355 posted:

Yeah, that might be something I go for eventually, I think generally the idea is you only really use him for big bosses anyway and he does that job well enough with just 1 point, but it might be worth investing in just for the heck of it.

He'll probably be more useful when it finally takes us more than 30 seconds to kill a boss, maybe.

Whole lotta not people in this part of the game. I really like some of the scenery and stuff but I miss the big bustling cities we saw more frequently in Greece and Egypt.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ah I see what you mean. Yeah that duration and cooldown isn't great.

Natty
Jan 23, 2009

All the Grim Dawn talk during the LP convinced me to pick it up. Really enjoying it, although I miss the more MMO-ey aspects of PoE.

Watching you two clean house with pets has given me an itch for the "sit back and watch minions lay waste to everything around you" style of gameplay, currently playing a 2H melee commando while I wait for the Necromancer that's supposedly coming out as part of the upcoming expansion pack.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Natty posted:

All the Grim Dawn talk during the LP convinced me to pick it up. Really enjoying it, although I miss the more MMO-ey aspects of PoE.

Watching you two clean house with pets has given me an itch for the "sit back and watch minions lay waste to everything around you" style of gameplay, currently playing a 2H melee commando while I wait for the Necromancer that's supposedly coming out as part of the upcoming expansion pack.

For pets, the spooky warlock sorcerer class has a raven and a hellhound and some good buffs, and the druid has a big tanky, angry ball of thorns and hurt, and some good buffs. Together, they are the Summoner!

Dump points into the base hellhound skill with warlock and then mix with whatever class to taste and branch out once you have your angry fur ball maxxed is what I've seen or the lazy pet mans game. Same applies to the druid but with his pet. That's what I've seen. I dunno how well it works.

Looks up the Lazy Pokémon Master guide on the GD forums.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I also got Grim Dawn because of this LP and I've been loving it. Although I have lost some enthusiasm the more I've been reading about build composition. Some of the magic of experimentation has gone away.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

For pets, the spooky warlock sorcerer class has a raven and a hellhound and some good buffs, and the druid has a big tanky, angry ball of thorns and hurt, and some good buffs. Together, they are the Summoner!

Dump points into the base hellhound skill with warlock and then mix with whatever class to taste and branch out once you have your angry fur ball maxxed is what I've seen or the lazy pet mans game. Same applies to the druid but with his pet. That's what I've seen. I dunno how well it works.

Looks up the Lazy Pokémon Master guide on the GD forums.

Yeah, that build is ridiculously strong and good. You just sit back while your tree abomination melts things at first and eventually you have an army of horrors killing stuff.

Still slightly annoyed skeletons are going to be a temp summon for the necro. What is even the point :(

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Zore posted:

Yeah, that build is ridiculously strong and good. You just sit back while your tree abomination melts things at first and eventually you have an army of horrors killing stuff.

Still slightly annoyed skeletons are going to be a temp summon for the necro. What is even the point :(

Summons are summons. I like the rings and poo poo that summon short-lived pets on-hit with a cooldown. Throw a couple of those on for more spam!

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Woo finally get some big city living! Plus lots of neanderthal and tigerman slaughter!

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Question: Is there a reason you don't use your attribute points? It's killing me that you have unused points.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hobbits and nazis are exactly the same thing? Did I miss something not watching the third Hobbit movie?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Poil posted:

Hobbits and nazis are exactly the same thing? Did I miss something not watching the third Hobbit movie?

Did you ever see anyone living in The Shire or Hobbiton who wasn't a true-born hobbit?

What did you think happened to any immigrant or other species who wanted to settle there? It's a conspiracy of silence I tell you.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

Question: Is there a reason you don't use your attribute points? It's killing me that you have unused points.

Mostly that exact reason. Actually talk about it in one of the upcoming videos

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Liking these videos, played this game a ton, and grim dawn also. I've got a few characters in the 40s if you want some MP characters for later difficulties. Are you guys using any trainers/mods to allow enhancements on blues/purples in this, or just vanilla?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

ratchild13 posted:

Liking these videos, played this game a ton, and grim dawn also. I've got a few characters in the 40s if you want some MP characters for later difficulties. Are you guys using any trainers/mods to allow enhancements on blues/purples in this, or just vanilla?

We're absolutely going to use tqvault to cheat and use monster bits/runestones one blue/purples. It's such a terrible decision not letting you do that in the first place. Since blue/purples are pretty much always best in slot it means the monster drops are completely pointless outside of making artifacts.

Of course right now we're not worrying about it too much but I think maybe between now and the next recording session we'll doodle about a bit with enhancers to give us some more defense.

E: also to make it official once we finish the first difficult we're absolutely open to people joining in if you happen to be around when we're recording. if you aren't a creepy neckbeard we might even invite you back. So anybody who wants to do that should keep a character roughly even with the LP once we get through act 4.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Agent, I've liked your other Lps also, especially grimrock. i wasn't able to get all the way through, even tough i loved EOB and such back in the day. I used to have tqvault and all those mods running years ago, is there any really good mods you recommend these days, or custom campaigns/skill packs or anything? Yapo, I've never done much with dream, i've always liked the defense or offense melee blends, though my highest character is a hunter/nature in the 50s.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Looking at the workshop they have a couple up there that I used to play around with. Masteries mod replaces the 9 masteries with 9 new ones and it's fairly well balanced. Destinies is basically the same idea.

Lillith is a complete campaign that is fuckin gigantic. It's not super well polished but I played through it more than once, some modder somewhere spent thousands of hours making it and it's worth playing through. i think with the workshop you can play Lilith and install one of the mastery mods for maximum ~new experiences~. Be warned Lilith follows the standard mod difficulty curve which is to say loving punishing because anybody who makes mods plays too drat much and thinks the base game is too easy. Packs are bigger and tougher but you level up hella fast early on at least.

I haven't tooled about with anything thats new to the workshop though, those are just some good uploads that have existed for years that I have some experience playing before the anniversary edition.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Blackmage Yapo posted:

Mostly that exact reason. Actually talk about it in one of the upcoming videos

Turns out you talked about it near the end of this one and now I look like an rear end in a top hat. :v:

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

Turns out you talked about it near the end of this one and now I look like an rear end in a top hat. :v:

I do what I can.

Make it a bit more in to China, and get to meet the Jade Emperor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The eyeball is basically Sauron powering up the minions to crush enemies and see them driven before it. It even has the "I see you!" stare to paralyze them with fear.

• Locked thread