Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Titan Quest: Anniversary Edition is just a really well done update of the original Titan Quest and its expansion Immortal Throne.

At its core Titan Quest is an ARPG in the vein of Diablo, but based in the ancient world and around various mythologies. We'll be starting in ancient Greece, but we'll get progressively crazier from there. I'll be playing with Agent355, showing off this game that we've both sunk hundreds of hours in to playing. From basically when it came out to when Diablo 3 was released it was THE game in its genre. I think it's very well done and would like to convince you all of the same.

Titan Quest was made by a company called Iron Lore, who you almost certainly have never heard of. The company released THREE whole products: Titan Quest, its expansion Immortal Throne, and the Dawn of War pseudo-expansion Soulstorm. Shortly after Soulstorm came out in 2008 is when THQ decided to poo poo the bed and Iron Lore disapeared into the ether. There were a few rumblings from a company named Crate Entertainment being founded from the ashes by a few members of the Iron Lore team, but not much of substance was released. In 2012 Crate Entertainment posted a kickstarter for a game called Grim Dawn, which recieved over half a million dollars of backer money. It was finally released in 2016 to great critical reviews and is hailed as kind of a grim dark spiritual successor to Titan Quest. If you've heard much about it or even played it, this is where it all started.

I'm sure we'll wax poetic about this game plenty, so let's just roll film:

Blackmage Yapo fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Masteries

We talked about them a little in game, but here are the full descriptions for them. Imgur gallery if you prefer

Defense - The Defender specializes in surviving battles but offers little in the way of offensive enchantments. Many skills focus on utilizing the shield to deflect attacks and disable enemies.

Dream - Drawing power from the dream world, the Seer uses sheer force of will to dominate the battlefield. The arcane workings of the psyche, time and reality itself are all playthings for those who have mastered the secrets of the mind.

Earth - Adept at raining down destruction over large hordes of enemies. With most skills designed to deal damage, the Pyromancer relies on a colossal Earth Elemental to hold the attention of enemies.

Hunting - Master of bow and spear combat. Piercing attacks penetrate enemy armor and high level bow skills will tear through large groups of enemies. The Hunter must rely on speed and range to stay out of the reach of enemies.

Nature - The Wanderer can call on denizens of the forest to deal damage and shield them from enemies. Healing and defensive auras allow allies to survive longer and fight more effectively.

Rogue - The rogue is unmatched at dealing rapid damage to single opponents or wearing them down with poison and bleeding. Reliant on hit-and-run tactics, the Rogue is less well suited for handling hordes of enemies and must employ trickery to avoid being overwhelmed.

Spirit - The Theurgist combines offence and defense with insidious life stealing skills that leech enemies' vitality while bolstering their own. At higher levels the ability to summon a powerful Liche King dramatically increases damage-dealing ability.

Storm - Excels at dealing massive lightning and cold damage to single opponents or small groups. The Stormcaller has limited personal defenses but can slow, freeze and stun enemies with frost and thunder attacks.

Warfare - The Warrior excels at dealing out physical damage but pays little heed to defense. With higher mastery levels the Warrior can learn to deal damage to several adversaries at once.

And since I'll be using two classes, here are the combo names:

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Voting

So I'm going to be playing whichever classes you guys vote for. Agent will be playing something with an opposite playstyle to show off a bit more of the game. Vote in BOLD for the TWO classes you would like to see me play, most votes is my first class and runner up is the secondary. We'll run voting for a couple days at least, but I'll probably cut it off abruptly when we get time to record the next section.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Fair warning I haven't played any magic classes in this game since like, 2008. Agent is gonna be laughing at me all the time :(

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Antistar01 posted:

I loving love Titan Quest. It's still my favourite game of its type - bar none. I always liked it more than Diablo 2, Diablo 3 was incredibly disappointing, and I don't know... I couldn't quite get into Grim Dawn. I should give it another go now that it's finished. I think they'd only done the first two acts when I played it.

Since I'm old-school enough to have a physical copy of the Gold Edition (main game + expansion) - rather than a Steam copy - I didn't qualify for a free upgrade to the Anniversary Edition, unfortunately. I got it in a sale recently, but haven't tried it yet - so I'm curious to see how different it is.

Anyway, I always, always played a Rogue + something else. Always. Nothing else I tried felt fast/punchy enough. I'd prioritise gear that had attack speed bonuses, sometimes maxing out attack speed, making my character a little dervish of destruction.

So I'd actually be interested to see one of these apparently amazing Hunting/Something combos. I remember hearing about them, but could never tear myself away from a Rogue combo.

Maybe Hunting/Dream (Haruspex), then? Apparently a "Spear Haruspex" is very powerful. I've played hundreds of hours of Titan Quest, but know next to nothing about those classes.

Pffft physical copy of the gold box? I'll have to go dig out my box for the original game and the immortal throne box.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Counts so far:

Rogue - 8
Dream - 7
Defense - 6
Storm - 5
Spirit - 4
Earth - 4
Hunting - 3
Nature - 3
Warfare - 2

Looks like if these results stand I'll be a Dreamkiller, which to be fair sounds super awesome. If you would like to change your vote please put something in bold about changing because I'm bad at reading.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Finally get to see our first class shenanigans. This is about the point in the game where it takes the gloves off and really starts throwing some serious enemies at you, as well.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Joke's on you, assholes, I'm sitting in a red chair wearing black pants, so there!

Also, Yapo not putting even a single point into Envenom upsets me more than it should. It's a great skill with steady DoT, adds debuffs as you go up the skill tree and it works (or at least, it used to, not sure if it still does in AE) with a huge number of skills. Sniping enemies with throwing knives or a bow and having them half-dead by the time they reach you never gets dull.

I thought I made it pretty clear at the beginning of this that I am dumb and also bad at video games? Just wait until we get a little further along and Agent and I start doing real dumb poo poo.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
I'm working absurd hours this week so y'all get a morning update!

So this one is a bit longer than the previous ones but it didn't really feel like we had a great stopping point anywhere in there. They'll tend to vary based on how well we can remember the pacing of this game.

I was gonna write up some big thing on charms on relics but then I realized it really didn't matter all that much, so I'll just do a quick run down. With a few exceptions they all fall in to weapon, shield, armor, or accesory categories. They usually provide similar benefits to what that item might produce if you got a lucky drop, but are a bit more specefic. We'll hopefully see more of them as time goes on because they're cool and helpful but I'm going to blame Agent for messing up the drops for now.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Cassa posted:

I'd be ok with Titan Quest chat in some Blood Bowl vids too.

I don't think either Agent or myself will be revisiting Blood Bowl any time soon. LPing that game is quite a lot more labor intensive than stuff like this.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

So I kinda listened to the thread! I was thinking about it a bit more and as cool as the poison debuff is for me our current ALL PET ALL TIMES build is a bit more condusive to using an active energy skill with some range on it. The puppies would be very sad if I wasn't helping them out.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

SSNeoman posted:

Can you guys post the skill trees you're using? It might be fun to theorycraft a bit

And per your rule you guys will essentially have max base stats at level 32 from skills at level 32?

Should hopefully get there by then, yeah. I've been spreading my points out a bit to try and show off some different skills and figure out whats gonna work best for video, so they're probably not ~optimal~

Here is a close approximation of my skills as they stand: http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc....0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

SSNeoman posted:

I'd say grab Premonition and Distortion Field to give you more tankiness.
Grab Dream Stealer because "Devastate your enemies and steal their power by ripping the very dreams from their minds." sounds :black101: as all gently caress. Phantom Strike seems p Rogue-y but I dunno it doesn't wow me.
And I guess try and get Distort Reality and Temporal rift since those seem like a PBAoE version of your Distortion Wave which is prob more helpful.

and yeah up that mantra cause holy poo poo that's silly good

...I'm really way more into the Dream tree than the Rogue tree so I see what Agent meant.

Oh and you might wanna spec into nightmare because "Master Mind: (Rank: 1 of 8): The Nightmare is able to speak to the minds of your other minions and coordinate their attacks, making them more effective in combat. 50 Energy Cost, 15.0 Meter Radius,Bonus to All Pets:,+5% Total Damage, +30% Health Regeneration, +30% Energy Regeneration" loving super dogges

EDIT: wait is Lucid Dream a loving passive???

EDIT 2: guiz i think i rely liek dreem
Psionic Touch + Psionic Burn seem way better than Calculated Strike + Lucky Hit. LH seems way too random to be useful, and requires you to like spread yourself really thin across the rogue tree. Psionic Burn seems to fit the sort of PBAoE + Hard Spike single target + Beast Mastery playstyle you're going for. Basically throw traps, summon nightmares, use PS to get into a mob, use DR to blast and stun, clickclickclick...
If you see a boss, Phantom Strike to them then Lethal Strike before clickclickclick

Yeah I'll probably respec a bit after I get a few more levels going. Calculated Strike and Lethal Strike are better than the equivalents with only a few skill points in them, but it ramps up so quick if you go all-in on Dream skills. I'll probably switch my shotgun over to the knives at some point because I like them way better.

Finally get to meet the Oracle and discover our fate. This is also our first opportunity to fix our skill selection mistakes and pick better stuff. Agent has already done some tweaking on his, but I might go back and rework a few of the skills I have taken so far. I think when I get a few more levels I'm also going to switch which active Dream buff I use, since I can only have one active at a time (class restriction).

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

ssmagus posted:

One thing that's annoying me is using the loot filter that still shows whites...

Also, Have any plans to invite some extra help to show off more builds?

It's just force of habit for me to use alt and the just broken filter. I'll try to switch to the only yellow+ filter.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Sorry, no update today. I just started a continuing education class for my job and it's sucking my will to live. Should go up tomorrow and hopefully I can keep on schedule after that.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

So this is kinda a weird update, since we really don't hit a real town for the full duration. It's basically entirely monster slaughtering.

PS: Title Joke if you don't get it. Really just any chance to post ELO

EDIT: Also glad to hear that we've been dragging people down the wormhole. Warms my heart to see people destroying the tendons in their hands and also their lives.

Blackmage Yapo fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 2, 2017

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

SSNeoman posted:

We're still in Act 1 and you guys are almost level 20. Are the other acts shorter or something? Cause you can prob hit 32 at this rate by act 2. Does the game expect you to have all the stat-ups from your skill points by that time?

It goes up to something like level 75. And in my experience the more players you have in a game the faster everyone levels, I guess because of how it does the difficulty increases.

And last time I played I did a straight hunter archer build only doing one skill point a level. A couple of spots were rough but it worked alright, so the two isn't absolutely required.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Finally make our way to Athens and all the coolness around town. Seriously though if you get a chance to go to the Parthenon replica (I said it wrong in the video, it's actually in Nashville) its pretty cool. http://www.nashville.gov/Parks-and-Recreation/Parthenon.aspx

Blackmage Yapo fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 3, 2017

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Just so everyone knows, Agent gave up his dinner so we could get this knock out. HE SACRIFICED FOR YOU LP THREAD. It had absolutely nothing to do with both of us forgetting the pacing of this section, why do you ask?

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
I actually played with a guy who was worse than powergaming spergs in my last group. He didn't want to put any effort into actually learning his character or any of his abilities, but would also whine for like three sessions if he forgot to use one. Five sessions in and he still didn't know how many dice of damage his greatsword did (the one he had as starting equipment).

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Sorry to interrupt D&D chat but I have a new video for y'all

As we talk about in the video, Act 2 is really cool and good. That being said the whole thing is basically macguffin quests but wugd?

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
I will fire up my inventory a bit more often in the future then. Unfortunately I grabbed some really good stuff a while back so I haven't switched much around for a while.

Shits been so crazy for me lately that I can't even remember what we did in this video!

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Pvt.Scott posted:

What the? How did you end up in Tennessee?

Tennessee is starting to become a common theme for this LP, not sure how that happened.

BTW since we've been talking about it so much there is a weekend sale on steam for Grim Dawn, its down to like $13 http://store.steampowered.com/app/219990

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
It's Friday so new video time!

We finally do the cool circular route we've been talking about for ages! We also delve deep into a bunch of tombs and see some cool bosses.

So we've already recorded the next video, but after it ended I went through and took off a bunch of skill points from things I'm not really using. As it stands right now, I have 9 unused skill points, and this is my current build. I'd be happy to entertain suggestions for what to do with my points.

I'm thinking maybe pick up Distort Reality and Phantom Strike out of the Dream mastery and maybe Throwing Knife from Rogue (it gets real good when you hit max level and throw like 4 of them)

Blackmage Yapo fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 17, 2017

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
My original plan was to ignore a lot of the passives until we got in to the higher difficulties. Since dream has the straight percentage boosts it'll help a whole lot more once we start struggling.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Doublepost but now in Titan Quest Anniversary Edition proper is on sale through Humble for $4. If you maybe wanted to try it now is a good time to get in https://www.humblebundle.com/store/titan-quest-anniversary-edition

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

So this is a bit of a longer update becuase we're bad at remembering the game. The pets are really starting to come in to their own at this point. Right after this video ended I bought back all the skill points I wasn't really using so I'll be redistributing those at the start of the next video.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Don't even front on us for d6 probabilities.

We finally made it to Act 3! We talk about a bunch of dumb stuff because there really isn't a whole lot going on in this section of game, its mostly a straight shot chock full o' monsters.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Lord_Magmar posted:

Ah right, Act 3 is where things start getting very funny in this game. In particular one of the earliest segments is quite a trek if you consider the real world implications of the journey.

Yeah don't mind us, just jogging across the entire continent

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Pvt.Scott posted:

... 300 oiled rentboys ...

Do go on.

Really though history chat is pretty neat but we need somebody that knows Asian mythology like stat.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Agent355 posted:

Yeah, that might be something I go for eventually, I think generally the idea is you only really use him for big bosses anyway and he does that job well enough with just 1 point, but it might be worth investing in just for the heck of it.

He'll probably be more useful when it finally takes us more than 30 seconds to kill a boss, maybe.

Whole lotta not people in this part of the game. I really like some of the scenery and stuff but I miss the big bustling cities we saw more frequently in Greece and Egypt.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Woo finally get some big city living! Plus lots of neanderthal and tigerman slaughter!

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

Question: Is there a reason you don't use your attribute points? It's killing me that you have unused points.

Mostly that exact reason. Actually talk about it in one of the upcoming videos

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

Turns out you talked about it near the end of this one and now I look like an rear end in a top hat. :v:

I do what I can.

Make it a bit more in to China, and get to meet the Jade Emperor!

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Whoops, I just realized I didn't post an update on Friday. Sorry to anyone who was waiting for that.

We finally fight the last boss of the original game! Before Immortal Throne came out that portal ended your normal playthough and you got to start the higher difficulties. But since we're playing IT we've got some more game to work through before we get there.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Agent355 posted:

I'd never heard of this before, that's really cool. Still finding out things I don't know about this game. I'll have to show that off in the next difficulty.

In grim dawn there are special chests that always contain a unique the first time you open them on each difficulty and there are maybe 6 or 7 throughout the game and they're all super hidden (aside from one or two which I think are boss rewards), it's cool to know there is some guaranteed drop stuff in TQ as well.

Literally all this LP is doing is making me want to hit Grim Dawn more and more.

Immortal Throne! We get a bad case of crabs and thin out the local moose hordes.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Poil posted:

Those don't look like real moose to me. :colbert:

Would the Greek know what a moose was at this time?

If Wikipedia is to be believed, during pre Roman times they were around the Gauls and others in northern Europe. I'm sure at some point a couple made them down there as a curiosity.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Woo sidequest hubs! We also delve a little more into Greek mythology and get to take in more of the beautiful expansion.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

SSNeoman posted:

I dig the terrain, besides we're still in the early stages of the expansion, aren't we?

Yeah, here before too long we'll hit a whole bunch of completely new textures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

You wanted less green and brown and you got it! Welcome to the second half of the act. Strap yourselves in, it's gonna be a doozy.

• Locked thread