Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

OOC Thread
Strings Sheet

It's Monday, nine days after Garth MacDonald's death, and things seem almost normal again.

The first week afterwards was... rough. Lots of announcements about grief counseling, lots of tiny groups meeting with unfamiliar adults dressed in muted colors. Grief counselors, you're guessing. People cried in the hall for no reason -- people you know didn't even know Garth, never talked to him when he was alive, and never would have given him a second thought if it weren't for Homecoming. And then there were the cops, asking discreet questions, all in muted plainclothes. Somehow it was easy for you to guess just which ones were cops.

By Friday, though, the mood was starting to lift, and the weekend was very close to normal. The world of parties and sports and clubs couldn't stop forever, and the ones who were putting on grief like an ill-fitting coat seem to have tired of it by now. Today, there seems to be an unspoken atmosphere in the school that it's time to move on. Anyone still mourning will have to do it on their own time.

Is it really possible you've gotten away with it?

Your first period, as always, is Homeroom, with Mr. Lefler: a former metal shop teacher who lost a leg a few years ago in a car accident and pivoted to a job in the Art Department, where he can mostly teach from a chair. He teaches a couple periods of Jewelrymaking, a class that's nigh-impossible for anyone besides seniors to get into, and a couple periods of the 3D Design class that serves as a prerequisite to any class on 3-dimensional art -- boring, but necessary, mostly full of freshmen. His homeroom is held in a small lecture room adjacent to the jewelry and sculpture workshop, and he mostly runs it as a study hall. He's an affable man who seems to expect very little from you, and is rarely disappointed.

As you settle in for homeroom, the announcements are beginning. There's a home football game this Friday against a team from Grand Island, apparently. Auditions for the Winter Play will start on Wednesday after school; all students interested in working as cast or crew are required to audition and sign up for their preferences. So it goes...

Everyone

How did you spend your weekend? Have you gotten your Homecoming story straight, and who have you collaborated with on it? Have your nerves calmed down yet?

Alex

So what are you guys doing for Winter Play? Usually, crew members aren't required to audition if they don't want to act; what's going on with that? Which change of clothes do you have in your backpack today, and what are your plans for it?

Catherine

Oh, those Winter Play auditions. How do you plan to talk Jackie out of her plans, anyway? Especially since, well, Reverend Nye asked you to take on a special custodial task around the Church this week, and it'll take up your whole afternoon all week, probably. What does he want you to do, and what other commitment does that conflict with? He says it's an urgent crisis, though...

Oh, and you haven't broken it to Delsin about the date yet, haven't you? When are you going to do that?

Delsin

Have you decided what you're doing about the date with Catherine yet? And if that plan fails... well, do you have any backup white girls in mind that you might not mind using to follow your programming? Which behavior of Alex's are you feeling most like emulating today?

Audrey

Something changed in the field last night. What was it, and how did it work its way into your dreams? Do you run into any of your siblings during your normal school day, and are you planning on changing that routine now that... this is all going on? Who did you walk past on the way to class, and why were you sure they were a cop?

MC highlights are as follows:
Audrey highlights Cold
Catherine highlights Volatile
Delsin highlights Dark
Alex highlights Hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Delsin

Spent the weekend arting. Garth did end up being good for something, inspiring me to do some "falling" based painting. I bet one look at the one watercolor I did with the paper upside down so the drips would look like contrails would make a girl cry.

Catherine? It's been a week and a half since I asked her out. Yeah sure the whole Garth thing was probably traumatic for her but whatever. It's not gonna happen. I was gonna take her to a used bookstore and buy her what she wanted then go someplace quiet and read it to her. Because we're born storytellers.

All the other girls have already been taken by their own peer "grief counselors," and prescribed their Vitamin D. Everyone wants to be comforted, but not by someone like me. I make people uneasy. Even Catherine, who I've known the longest. I gotta stop thinking about getting rejected and move on to the next thing though. Start looking for a backup. Not Corrine, not yet. I want to get some experience first so I can do her right. Who knows how long I can make a relationship with her last after the acid runs out. SAT word for her is mercurial.

In another sense of the word "date," I'm texting Audrey.

quote:

Your posters need to stop. Pick a time and place we can talk.

Chances are I'm gonna have to take a dive, let her beat on me until she's satisfied.

Before that happens though, I should try out for that play, show off how good my Shakespeare is. All those actors are always dramatically coupling and dramatically breaking up. Alex doesn't date as far as I know. When you're that good an actor, you're probably gay, and if you're gay in Canaan, you're probably in the closet or driving away as fast as you can. One less guy in the pool as far as I'm concerned.

As for acting out a story for the Garth thing, I didn't write a script with anyone. If anyone comes asking I'll just say I don't remember it all happened so fast etc. I'm not really nervous about it. Never was, because it was my choice that he fell. I knew before anyone else, so even if I did care, I had the longest to get over it, eh?

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 10, 2017

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Catherine Neumann, The Daemon
Hot -1, Cold +2, Volatile +1, Dark -1
Conditions: N/A | Harm: 0/4 | Experience: 0+1=1/5

I should say... something.

Some intolerant townie defaced the Church's stained glass windows last week, and when we finished scrubbing off the graffiti, it showed up again the next morning; Reverend Nye has asked me to clean them when I come home. I started over the weekend -- and between that and reading Crime and Punishment and praying, I slept less than I should have -- but it will take more than a weekend. So I certainly can't take the time for the Winter play. And it'll be difficult to maintain my grade point average unless I do my homework late at night or earlier in the day, which is why I'm doing it now. Not particularly complex work, but it wears on and on... Heaven keep me from any further assignments this week.

Not to mention that the window of opportunity for retrieving my rosary has shrunk; it's either during the day or during the night, with no in-between. I'll have to tell the Reverend, won't I? And -- Delsin. Should I tell Delsin? Would he understand if I said that I was afraid of being accused? It wouldn't work with Jackie. Obviously not with Jackie. But I could tell him that. I could -- if I don't think I can go. I know I can't. But I want to go. Even if I don't think I feel anything in the way of, uh, interest in him. It would be nice to just go to the library together, and talk about what we have and haven't read, and, I don't know.

What would I even tell anyone besides the truth? I didn't push him. He fell on his own, and he tried to grab me on the way down, and my rosary broke. The others can corroborate. There's -- there's no reason anyone should suspect that, is there? There's nothing to suspect, it's the truth --

-- wrote the answer wrong. I don't think I can stand afford to start over right now. After class.

In fact...

I'll ask him that. I stand up, turn and walk to the back on the outer edge of the classroom, to Delsin's desk. He's texting, so I touch his shoulder to get his attention, and of course I have to say it before he's even looked up -- "If you can spare the time, I have something I need to tell you about. After class, I mean." Awkward. Of course it sounds awkward. Am I even supposed to still be standing here? Instead of homework? I still need to finish it, and suddenly that sounds like an attractive prospect... and my hand is hovering there. As I draw it back, I accidentally brush his face. Oh, lord, remove me from this place --

Turn Someone On [2d6-1] = 7. String, promise or self, and marking EXP for the highlight.

Back to my desk without even waiting for a response. Stupid. And Jackie's looking at me. I can't read her expression, but that was never something in which I had particular skill in the first place. "And, uh, I also need to talk to you. Briefly. If you can." On this one, I can at least wait for her to reply.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Alex Smith, The Cuckoo
Hot +2 | Cold +1 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1 | Passing As: Alex
Experience: 1/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: None! | Location: Homeroom

It was an interesting week. That'd be a bit of an understatement. I consider myself to be something of an expert on most people in school, but I suppose that this was the first time I'd had the opportunity to observe behavior during a period of mourning. It's fascinating. The emotions run wild and people do some of the most unexpected things. Take Matt, for instance. He's your average high school student, hat fetish notwithstanding, and he managed to get in no less than three fights this week. Who would have expected it from him?

My weekend? Less interesting. It was another event for Casey — apparently, people have cottoned on that he's going to be a Big Deal someday and are sucking up more than usual. This time it was some sort of ceremonial ribbon cutting at the new diner downtown. I think it's called Donovan's? Whatever. I should be used to it by now. At least Casey (or should I say 'Casey'?) is doing a better job being himself now that some time has passed since the Lodge. It was such an appalling acting job. The temptation was there to give him a few pointers. Believe me.

Of course, how can I forget the events on the roof? Garth was so unreasonable. If he had simply let matters proceed and gone through the remainder of his life with his customary detachment, we would all be much happier. He clearly felt no compunction to live up to his potential. I don't understand why he was so incensed by the concept of someone trying to make something of him. Regardless, there are some problems that need to be addressed. Now, Audrey and I both had actual contact with him before he fell. Those other two... Well, I suppose we're all in it together now. Still. It would be wise to confer with Audrey. Make sure that our accounts of the fight align, should our involvement become clear.

Speaking of the others, my thoughts turn to Catherine. I've been watching her, naturally, but I still haven't fully figured her out. She presents something of a challenge. The way she carries herself seems off. Perhaps guilt from Garth's death? I don't really have much of a baseline to compare against. I wasn't paying her much mind before the bag, but even then not as much as since matters with Garth. If I have a weakness, I must admit I'm a sucker for solving people. Figuring out all the answers. Someone like her...? Well, let's just say she's caught my eye.

That's why I have Audrey's clothes in the bottom of my bag. I still have that invite to check out her cult, or whatever it is, and I'm not about to do that looking like me. I hate that I'm a nobody, sure, but I'd rather not get the rumor mill chatting about how Casey's little bro is getting sucked into a cult. Sorry, Audrey. I'm sure you can handle any heat that comes your way. You're a fighter. I've seen how you solve problems. I just need to make sure you don't decide I'm one of them. In fact, I might as well make it a little interesting. Catherine knows my game. I'll merely have to let her know that I'll be coming and force her to guess which one of the new visitors I'll be.

@Catherine posted:

I was considering taking you up on your offer, but... Let's make it a little more interesting. A bit of a bet. I'll visit your congregation this afternoon and you'll need to find me. If you can, I'll visit it for real. Give it all a shot. If not...? Well, I'm sure we can think of something. -A

I wait until she looks back my way and wink. I'm more interested in hearing what her story is — and how she knew about me — but if she thinks of something more physical? I wouldn't say no. It's hard to hide when you strip it all alway. I'd know that better than anyone.

Of course, auditions may put a crimp in my plan. I'll need to do it tonight. We're putting on The Crucible. I thought I'd branch out and relax on this one. Run crew, maybe do sound or lighting. It's work, sure, I'm not slamming the people behind the scenes. Things changed when Garth died. I was planning on making the switch soon, you know? Even I'd feel bad leaving the theater crew down a man with a major performance coming up. That fell through. Or just fell, I guess. Anyways, I'm still not exactly sure why they've instituted mandatory auditions for crew members, but it probably has to do with that grant that just came through. The Lodge put together some money and we're looking at a pretty nice upgrade to our gear. Still not enough to cover costumes, but we'll at least have a little more going on than a tape deck and some spotlights. Probably just want to make sure that everyone's serious about it.

Since I'm available, I'm naturally going to be shooting for a role. Not Proctor. That'll be too political. The real prize is going to be Hale. He's easily the most dynamic character in the play. What an arc! I've got enough cred saved up that I should be able to head off any real challengers, but if not? Well, I'm not above playing dirty. Wouldn't be the first time I've had to invent a scandal to thin the field. It's quite easy when you get down to it. Someone merely needs to be seen kissing the wrong person. If I know one thing, it's that a good fake can be better than the real thing. I'm quite the kisser, or at least that's what I've heard. Sure, Matt may have the credit for now, but I appreciate the indirect compliment.

quote:

2:44 PM <Tricky> Alex turns on Catherine
2:45 PM <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
2:45 PM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 8+2 =

+String, +XP.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Delsin
That's a let you down gently touch if I've ever felt one. I watch her scuttle to her desk out of the corner of my eye, take out her phone then look at Alex, who gives her a wink. I unconsciously tilt my head back and forth to crack my neck, like before a fight.

So that's how it is...

I get back to my phone and start typing another text out, Catherine's way this time.

quote:

Don't even bother telling me no to my face, I already get it. I'll leave you alone
Maybe she'll even be able to tear her eyes off of Alex to read it.
Shut Down: 2d6-1 3

I think she's been too scared to bail on the date like she wants. So I'm promising never to bring it up again.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 11, 2017

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Hot: +0, Cold: -1, Volatile: +1, Dark: +1
Conditions:Drained Harm:0/4 Experience:2/5

Ugh, this morning was awful. As always (poo poo has it been so long that I consider this the new normal already?)...well anyway, I slept maybe four hours. It's getting to the point that I should buy concealer in bulk for the amount I need to cover up the bags under my eyes. Normally, I drive Ken, Joe, Eve, and myself in to school, but I've been letting Ken take the other three in and I've just settled for walking or taking the bus or whatever.

I walked today, I needed some extra time to think. Though in retrospect the bus might've been better so I could've caught a quick nap or something. Whatever. Clearing my head was good, I already saw a flier for the Winter Play outside the school as I walked up, and for whatever reason I thought maybe I ought to try out.

I'd never really been an actor, or anything. But maybe the escapism would be nice.

Anyway, I was walking down the halls when this dork shows up out of nowhere. Unluckily for him I had my phone out already a couple days ago when he pulled the 'accidental run into' so I caught this goofy grinning face on camera.

This was, supposedly, Mr. Sarnoff, who was supposedly one of the grief councilors. Only, he was a cop. Duh. Look at him, are you telling me that guy is a grief councilor? Seriously?

Also I ran his face through some recognition software on my dad's computer and yeah, he's a cop. This isn't hard people, seriously.

"Running a little late to class Ms. Hobson? You need to talk to somebody?"

"No...Mr. Sarnoff." I replied, adding a bit of emphasis. "I'm good, really." I brushed past him and into the classroom. Try harder, P.O.

<LifeGetsWorser> shutting down the "grief councilor"
<LifeGetsWorser> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> LifeGetsWorser, 5-1 = 4
<LifeGetsWorser> XD

Welp. I'll take an xp for rolling cold.

Anyway, once I got inside I took a seat by the windows like I always do, obviously noting the side-eye 'Delsin' was giving me, and took out my phone and my earbuds.

I had to watch the video from last night. Yes okay I just got a text message but that could wait. I had to watch it.

At first it was all the same really. They were all out there, standing, staring at the night sky, backs turned to my window.

I skipped forward a bit. And then I had to go back juuust a bit more. Because...well...

They had moved. That had never happened before, and I'm sure that if anyone looked over they would've seen my eyes go wide because, well, yeah, look at that!

They were all facing inward now, in a circle, like they were surrounding something.

Come to think of it, it reminded me of a bad dream I had that night, too. Just a flash...I opened my eyes and I couldn't move, like I was being held down. Sleep paralysis, they call it. But this felt a bit more real than that.

I had brushed it off as another night terror, but...

...well, what if there was more to it?

I kept staring at the video.

<LifeGetsWorser> and now for that ol' first post gazing
<LifeGetsWorser> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> LifeGetsWorser, 6+1 = 7
<LifeGetsWorser> oh ho ho

I'd like to be drained, and for the visions to be clear: what was the correlation between my night terror and what I'm seeing on the video? Is there something I'm not seeing?

Xp for dark, too

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Delsin

That felt... off. Is it possible you were too quick on the trigger to tell her off? Or too obviously wounded by her implied rejection? It's hard to say, but you suspect that could have gone better, and maybe she knows you a little better after all.

Catherine takes a string on Delsin.

Catherine

"What is it, Cath?" Jackie doesn't turn to look at you, but her eyes move to make eye contact with you, with a slight smile. She's getting awfully familiar, isn't she? Why do you think that is?

Audrey

Pushing past Mr. Sarnoff gets you a look, and his goofy expression breaks for a moment, changing into something rather stern and serious. Concerned, almost. He narrows his eyes at you; you're guessing he's working on committing your face to memory. On one hand, it more or less confirms your suspicions. On the other, it seems fairly clear he's got your number now, at least as a person of interest.

Mr. Sarnoff takes a string on you.

When you sit down and start contemplating your video -- and wow, it's hard to focus on your phone screen when you're this tired, isn't it? -- it only takes you a repetition or two to start piecing the geometry together in your mind. Your siblings in a circle, with their arms outstretched towards the center in a particular pattern... you can picture what it must look like from overhead, based on their poses and the shadows. Their positions in the grass are roughly outlining a human figure, as if it occupied the central space, and their hands are pressing down on its chest and abdomen. Is this some kind of ritual to act on you at a distance, if they can't get into your room anymore?

God, you're tired. How are you going to deal with the day?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Delsin
Goddammit. I overplayed my hand, I can feel it. I just hate being jerked around! Two weeks, half a month, while she's getting hit on by who knows how many other guys, I'm supposed to wait patiently, put my life on hold because some idiot tried to fight gravity...

When it comes down to it, though, I know I want to go out with her still. And have for a while before I asked. I get an image: she's at the library, head just tilted to skimming the spines of books on a row at my head height. Saw she took one down, and I went over after she left to check out the other copy, the first book I ever identified just by the cover and read just to have it in common with someone I saw. Anyway, I try to sketch when I saw her taking that book from the shelf from memory. Remind myself why I'm in this to begin with.

Gaze: 2d6+2 10

How do I fix what I just did and get that date?

The visions are lucid and detailed; the visions show you what you must do, and you carry 1 forward to doing it.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

I drop my phone on the desk as it comes to me.

What the gently caress!

I rub my eyes, they had unfocused for a second there. Okay, so, whatever these...people pretending to be my family are doing they are still doing even if they can't be around me directly.

I pick my phone back up and close the video. I don't need to see anymore of that right now. Maybe I need to be somewhere else, even just for the night. Maybe that'll fix it. Who the hell texted me?

Oh. 'Delsin'. Well, at least he's not stupid. Not entirely. I think for a minute. The...family doesn't do their creepy body snatching thing until like...1 am.

Text to Delsin posted:

Tonight. Midnight. Gazebo. Come alone or don't come at all.

I also text him the directions from the school. If he was smart, he'd figure out the way there from whatever place he went to at night.

Ugh, I at least needed coffee. I shot Farrah a withering look. It was something she should know by now, but just in case she didn't get it I mouthed the words 'coffee?' to her. We could stop there after class. Or maybe she could duck out and get me some. People, even teachers, didn't like to bother Farrah. I think out here in the boonies they figure she'll go full Columbine or something, looking the way she does. And the cafeteria had some...well something resembling coffee anyway. I didn't want to have a text fight with Delsin outside of the classroom, anyway.

<LifeGetsWorser> oh boy, time to mess up another oll
<LifeGetsWorser> er, roll
<LifeGetsWorser> manipulating an npc
<LifeGetsWorser> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> LifeGetsWorser, 10 = 10
<LifeGetsWorser> o...oh. Well then

Farrah, be a dear and go get your bestie some coffee. I'll take a string on you from Firstborn

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Conditions: Terrified | Harm: 0+1=1/4 | Experience: 1/5

"Well -- oh, I meant after class, but..." It's time to say what I mean. Even if it means disappointing her and that quiet smile. (I don't know if I understand why she's been so close lately, as if we've known each other for years instead of months. Maybe she just wants someone to listen to her. That certainly makes sense; almost no one does, I think. She deserves better, agh, agh...) It's just disappointment now in exchange for disappointment later, isn't it? "About the play. I --"

Oh, that's my phone. "Give me a moment. Or a minute." Alex is making a bet on my ability to identify him. With unknown, unstated stakes on my end. Although, considering that wink, I can't imagine his motives are entirely pure. (And I can't look directly at him after that.) I'm about to reply when I get another, from Delsin, calling things off in advance. Which -- well, on the one hand, yes, that was exactly what I meant to say, but on the other hand he has no context, and frankly I don't know how he figured it out. Oh, for Heaven's sake, am I that easy to read?!

@Alex posted:

I don't know what you're implying by 'something' but I'll find you. Be sure of it.

@Delsin posted:

I don't know what you're thinking but I know you're missing some information here. Please just talk to me.

"I'm sorry, Jackie, but it's going to have to wait." I sit down and stare at my phone and my work and my to-do list for the day... will I be able to distinguish Alex from the others? I mean, a stranger at the congregation should stick out... unless he's wearing one of their faces. Are there tells? Does Alex have any habits for me to pick out? The way he stands, the way he looks at me...

Hold Steady to look for tells -- 2d6+2 = 5 [2, 1]
Bumping that up to a 6 by spending a string, and taking 1 harm with My Candle Burns At Both Ends to bump it up to a 7. Choosing to gain Terrified and ask the question: does Alex have any tells?

...distantly, I'm aware that I'm already starting to panic in a faint, divorced way, and when I panic something writhes in my chest, makes me taste bile. But I have to know. Out of the corner of my eye, I see him...

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 13, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Alex Smith, The Cuckoo
Experience: 1/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Drained | Location: Homeroom

My phone vibrates and I look down at the message from Catherine and smile. The game is on and, given how she's very intentionally not meeting my eyes, I think I know what the stakes are. It's always the quiet ones. Now, of course, Audrey is a readily available disguise. I could even play it off as her wanting to confer with Catherine on their story about what happened with Garth. I could do so many things. Why waste time thinking about what could happen when, whatever does, I'll be better than the real deal? On the other hand, I do supposed I've tipped my hand a bit. It might be a little suspicious if I were to show up as someone not from her usual crowd. There was someone else in class, right? If not, then certainly in the school. I'd just need to remember.

I absently rub my ring, then feel something change. Odd. It was almost as if the faces were mouthing something. I look down at it. Could it be some sort of message? I feel my attention drawn deeper and deeper. I just know that if I put this together, I'll be set.

quote:

11:12 AM <Tricky> Alex gazes about some cultists
11:12 AM <Tricky> !r 2d6-1
11:12 AM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 9-1 =

Marking Drained to get a clear answer: Who else in the school is involved in the cult and how can I get an outfit from them?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Delsin

As you sketch the scene of Catherine in the library, drawing the lines of her figure yourself make you realize something. She's carrying tension -- an immense tension, as if she's worried even now, thinking about something entirely different. As if nothing can really hold her attention for too long, because there's just too much else there. Catherine really carries the world of her shoulders, doesn't she? Maybe if you could help her out with her responsibilities, she might have more time and mental energy, and she might even appreciate it...

Catherine

Delsin seems to have returned to his own thoughts, but you can feel it. He's still thinking about you. Awareness of that lurks at the back of your mind, like... well, what is it like when you have feelings like this, anyway?

In any event, it's not necessarily helpful as you try to keep it together. Still, you think you can remember a few things about how Alex carries himself, his gestures...

Alex, please tell us a couple of Alex's tells for Catherine. I'm more comfortable with you answering this for your character, but if you'd rather, I can make something up.

"As much time as you need," says Jackie, if you register that as that point. She doesn't sound perturbed, at least... but she's still not turning to face you properly. Isn't that supposed to be very rude?

Alex

You have to rack your brains for a bit to think of decent targets. There's Gabriel Nye, of course, although he's somewhat fallen away from Catherine's church... and he's the leader's nephew, too. That probably makes him too conspicuous, unless you want to count coup in a very serious way.

Another target comes to you in a moment of strained inspiration: what about Clarissa Pendleton? It took you a moment to remember she even existed, but you're pretty sure you heard her talking about the Church during a Drama Club meeting. She's one of about a dozen interchangeable, excitable freshman girls who are obsessed with the concept of acting, and like most of them, Clarissa has very little talent -- maybe enough to get her supporting roles in a couple years if she worked and concentrated, but not enough now for her to even get cast in shows, given how many other girls audition. Last club meeting, Clarissa was completely stoked about The Crucible, sure she can get cast as Tituba (despite being blonde and pale as a ghost, but that's Nebraska for you) or one of the main accusers. If you wanted to borrow some clothes from her "for costume fitting"... well, that'd be leading her on, but it'd do the trick. Do you really care about leading Clarissa Pendleton on, anyway?

Audrey

It looks like Farrah is pretty used to this by now; she nods shallowly, mouths "pay me back?", and heads off to the cafeteria. Okay, so she probably expects to be paid back, but it's like a dollar. Do you even care?

Farrah will probably return on my next MC post, but you can take your Firstborn string now.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 15, 2017

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Delsin
I get to the hand reaching out for the book and remember the rosary around her wrist. It broke when Garth tried to take her down with him. She wasn't whole without it. I look up how many beads those things are supposed to have. 59. Woulda been nice if she had the 11 bead one. I could make one of those, or buy one–c'mon now, that'd just be weird. Can't cheap out for this. Find all the beads and the bracelet, string them up in the right order, and repair it. Make the connection, then maybe make a connection.

This isn't the first time I've ducked out of class, but with all the grief councilors walking around with tissues and checking everyone for tears it got a little too hot this past week. Things have calmed down mostly, but they're still lurking out there, I know it. Who knows if they're still watching ground zero...

[12:48 PM] BOTSidekick: @Delsin (slydingdoor): 2d6+2 = (4+3)+2 = 9 run away

poo poo, one of them might have seen me, but I don't know if they did and just let me go or didn't. They want to keep me wondering, eh? Well I can do that later. I've got bead work to do.

The scariest person gains a string on me.

I crawl around and am still missing 18. They must still be on the roof, which is blocked off now so no one else falls off it. Well unless his vengeful white ghost is up there I doubt I'll have anything to worry about.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 15, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Alex Smith, The Cuckoo
Experience: 1/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: Drained | Location: Homeroom

Catherine — You've noticed that Alex seems to play with his ring as something of a nervous habit. It tends to look like an odd hand massage if he's passing as someone without a ring on that finger. If he's feeling cornered or under pressure, that would definitely be something to look for. Past that, he tends to play the people he's passing as slightly more forward and, well, interesting than they actually are in life. Look for people who seem unusually open or are paying you undue attention.

As the utterly, perfectly inconsequential face of Clarissa comes to mind, I sigh deeply and sink back into my chair. That will be perfect. I'll give her some song and dance about how I'm doing some costume fittings tonight and that will, of course, give me an opportunity to borrow some of her clothes. If she decides to read too far into it...? Well, no true art is created without some sacrifice. She's a freshman. She'll have plenty of opportunities for a larger role before she graduates. And who knows? I can be benevolent when it suits. I wouldn't be above manipulating matters to her benefit in a later production. I suppose it will depend on what she can do for me.

My gaze turns to Audrey. As much fun as this bet with Catherine has become, there is still the small matter of Garth's death. I haven't had the chance to approach her yet. Or, I guess I should say, I haven't made it a priority. It could have happened at any point since that night. We do need to figure out our story. Just in case. I crumple up a sheet of note paper and start walking towards the trash can in the front of the room. As I pass her desk, I softly say to her, "We need to talk." I don't pause or wait for acknowledgement, though I do make eye contact after I throw away the paper and walk back to my own desk.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

I glance up at Alex's comment, and nod. "After class." I quickly say back as he walks by, under my breath - but loud enough for him to hear.

Yeah I guess we should get our stories straight. Alex and I, that is. Looks like we both went up there to take a couple swings at the rear end in a top hat, and that wouldn't do for the whole 'not having murdered Garth' thing, especially with Kindergarten Cop outside, there. I had an idea for that, actually. And it revolved around Mr. No Past who just sprinted by like no one would notice. Not to throw you under the bus, buddy, but even if the name 'Kevin' definitely was made up, so was the rest of all of you from what I could tell.

Man, that coffee couldn't get here quick enough, but I guess I'd wait. Maybe I'd just put my head down, just for a second...

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Conditions: Terrified | Harm: 1/4 | Experience: 1/5

Delsin's attention is like having an eye on the inside of my brain. It shouldn't -- it shouldn't feel like anything -- but I can imagine him staring at me, a room full of him staring at me. It makes me feel... sick. Especially since I know that I shouldn't be able. It's an intrusion on his privacy.

Honestly, I barely notice it when Jackie speaks -- my head is pounding, I'm tense, I'm trying to register the movement of Alex's fingers and my scant knowledge of his character -- and if she isn't facing me, that fact escapes me almost entirely. (I've never completely understood why you should look at others when you speak to them, anyway. Though... they believe it.) Though Delsin's attention is fading. But he was thinking about me. Trying to parse me.

He's gone? He's gone. Well, that puts the kibosh on calling it off to his face. I might as well get a different conversation out of the way, instead. I almost start -- "About the --" when it occurs to me. I trace her line of sight, or try to. What, exactly, has captured her attention so thoroughly?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Catherine

That's an interesting question, actually. Jackie's gaze doesn't really seem to be focused anywhere, aside from possibly up front at Mr. Lefler, who's doing what he usually does during homeroom: work on his lesson plans and not give a drat about any of you. You do catch a faint flicker of motion, though, from... under her hair?

This feels bad. This feels bad in an uncomfortably familiar way.

Delsin

Your departure isn't full-blown chaos, but it does raise a bit of notice from the various people gathered in the hallway. One of them -- a wiry, stubbly white guy with a disarmingly large smile -- watches you as you go.

Mr. Sarnoff takes a string on Delsin.

From there, though, it's not hard to slip through the hallways to the back parking lot. The scene of the crime has obviously been cleaned up, the asphalt looking freshly pressure-washed and very conspicuous against the everyday grime; there's no tape, though, so presumably whatever the cops wanted here, they found. There are no rosary beads in plain sight, but a painstaking search lets you find some in places where they were missed: cracks in the asphalt, the thin gutter between the parking lot and the school building, a few patches of ragged grass...

It takes a while to gather them up, but you estimate you've got most of the rosary now. Most, but not all. The roof's the most likely place for the rest, but it's possible that some were collected as evidence by the police. Or as souvenirs by your classmates.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Delsin
I climb up to the roof the same way I did a week and a half ago, and look for as many more beads and stuff that I can find. Whatever I end up missing in the end, I guess I'll have to head off to the craft store and find some identical replacements.

It still won't be quite the same though. I'd need to get Reverend Nye to consecrate it. Then it'd be perfect. Either that gets me in or gets me closure, you can't do much better than that to just get shot down again...

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

...there's no reason to believe it, yet. No reason to be paranoid. Her eyes are glazed, and there's movement under her hairline, but there are benign explanations for either. An insect she hasn't noticed. A nervous tic. Any of a thousand reasons she isn't a

Well.

"...this might actually constitute a longer conversation, Jackie." I'll have to -- work out some way to work through this, to confirm whether I'm too suspicious or seeing something real. Within the context of our relationship. It'll take... time. Effort. If I have to handle Jackie and Alex's bet, then... "After class? I still have to work on my physics homework." Not that I'll be able to focus, I imagine.

And, well, now that I consider it, I'll have to work things out about Homecoming, too. With Audrey, and Delsin, and. Delsin on my side with Audrey, if I can.

Oh, she's sleeping, I think. I guess I can't say anything right now.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Catherine

"Okay, okay. No worries!" Jackie seems shockingly unconcerned. If she's really... what she might be... and has recognized you as... what you once were, wouldn't you think she would be a little more serious about this?

Delsin

Getting to the roof takes more effort than you're used to; it looks like the usual doors have been locked, although thankfully not secured beyond that. How do you plan to get through that, and what evidence do you leave behind of your method?

... Still, you can get to the roof and collect beads there. There are a few more up there, around a dozen... and when you count them, they're almost all there. It looks like you're missing one small bead, one of the large spacer beads, and...

The cross.

The beads are easy enough to fake, since you have examples right there, but do you remember what the cross on Catherine's rosary looks like well enough to try and replicate it? Do you think it can fool her?

Audrey

There's the soft sound of something being set on your desk -- it looks like coffee has arrived. Farrah knows you well enough not to linger, at least. Now that you have some caffeine, do you have an excuse not to talk to Alex, or is it time to pay that piper?

Alex

As you head back to your desk, your phone goes off. It's a text from Casey; how common is that, anyway, that he bothers to text you about something? It just says "Meet at lunch." Ugh. What have you been doing to avoid Casey and his cronies at your shared lunch period, and what are you going to do about it today?

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 21, 2017

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Delsin
While I'm shutting lockpicked doors behind me on the way down the building, I get a wild hare to check if Deputy Michael knows anything about the last few beads and that cross. I call him on my phone and spout some bullshit, "Hey. I'm on free period and thought I, uh, saw Garth's ghost up on the roof. All the doors were opened and I found these beads on the ground, look like from a rosary, but some are missing. It made me remember how he stole a rosary and broke it up before he fell. Maybe his ghost is regretful or something, and wants to put it back together and return it to its rightful owner? I'm pretty freaked out and am gonna sign out of school and drive to the diner for some lunch. You're a lawman, maybe you can give me some guidance on what to do..." If he can't point me to the rest of the beads, which I'm guessing are in evidence, then I can go from there. Also school lunch sucks today–it's brunch. Fake-rear end "maple" syrup and soggy fried dough. I... want a milkshake. But also lox.

So I'm manipulating Michael to show up and eat with me and give me the beads.
manip: 2d6-1 6

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 21, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Alex Smith, The Cuckoo
Experience: 2/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: None! | Location: Homeroom

A chill ran up my spine as I read the text. This was... unusual. Definitely unusual. Usually, he was content to ignore me at school — and I would ignore him — but if he was texting me...? He might have caught on that I was suspicious of his true identity. Whatever or whoever that might be. Generally, I would be content to blow things off and just eat in the drama room with the others. I had hoped to do that today, actually, if only to start laying the necessary groundwork with Clarissa, but this was something of an unexpected twist.

Yet, it also presented something of an opportunity. His suspicions wouldn't amount to much — not yet, anyways, if he's asking to meet in public — and it might allow me to glean some additional clues as to what was really going on. I let out a slow breath. The sleepiness that had been creeping up behind my eyes was gone. In its place was the tense energy of adrenaline. I spun a pen idly in my fingers as I considered how I would play the situation. The mildly concerned younger brother? The distant sibling? Bemused curiousity? Hm. None of those seemed to fit perfectly.

quote:

8:30 AM <Tricky> Alex holds steady
8:30 AM <Tricky> !R 2d6+1
8:30 AM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 9+1 =

Clearing Drained and marking XP.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

It's entirely possible I haven't, well, proselytized enough. Or at all, recently, at least where Jackie is concerned -- to be honest, I mostly listen while she talks. As for her, if she's figured me out, well... she doesn't understand the import of what she sees. Or is. I was lucky where many others weren't. Every day, I am given the chance to be good, but if Jackie is like Alex and like what I was, wrapped in a false skin, without the comfort of the pastor, it would've been all too easy for her to ignore it, to not understand what she was or what she could be...

I have to help her. I'm the only one who can see it. I'm the only one who can sympathize but still offer something better. Only I can save them.

...her and Alex, and...

Everyone.

...but for now, physics. How long do we have left in this period, anyway...

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

CoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeeCOFFEE oh thank you sweet nectar of the gods.

...sorry, uh, just needed that jolt. Alex huh? I mean, I guess I ought to say...hi or whatever. But not in a classroom. I'd catch him after or well, at lunch or something. I did feel eyes on me a second ago, didn't I? Who else would care?

Give me a break, it's not like I've had a crash course in being watched, recently, right?

Catherine, probably. I mean, she was on the rooftop, she's not fake-McFakepants Delsin. Probably wanted the same thing as Alex. And she was tied up in that freaky cult on the edge of town.

Still, I was smiling as I looked over. Coffee put me in a good mood. Sue me. It was a good smile, too. My mom always said I had a good smile.

<LifeGetsWorser> a t-t-t turn on
<LifeGetsWorser> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> LifeGetsWorser, 4 = 4
*** Robodog has joined #swampthings
*** ChanServ sets mode +o Robodog
<LifeGetsWorser> welp

Tried to turn on Catherine. Gave the MC a hard move to use instead. Enjoy!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Delsin

"Ghost? You saw a ghost?" Officer Michael sounds completely incredulous, in that terrible, oily way that only white men in positions of power can. "Kid, that kind of story might work on the rez, but it's not gonna work here. 'sides, what are you talking about with a rosary? We don't have any rosary beads in evidence."

There's a pause; presumably he just realized what he said. "... by which I mean this is police business, kid. You're a good kid, but don't try to play boy detective."

On one hand, that rear end in a top hat is, well, an rear end in a top hat. On the other, he let some information slip. But it doesn't really help, does it? What's your plan? And what's your plan for the rest of the school day? Homeroom's got to be over by now...

Audrey

You look at Catherine, and... your eyes unfocus, just a little, and Catherine isn't quite in her chair in homeroom anymore. She's kneeling, shackled, in a prison cell surrounded by flames... the soul in purgatory, a voice whispers in your head -- the voice of a sibling. Which one? A blink, and the vision passes, but your headache is only deepening. The coffee's not really cutting it, either. Take 1 Harm. What do you do?

Homeroom, Concluded

Homeroom is about wrapping up; people around you are starting to pack their bags, and soon the bell rings, sending you onto your next class. Or... whatever else you have planned. Alex, what's your plan for the morning before lunch? Catherine, when do you plan to talk to Jackie?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Delsin
I hang up. "Well gently caress you then." I sit on the ground and start stringing up the beads, in order. If I have to remake the thing I'll get a proper chain, but for now I just use a buckskin lace I have lying around.

So the cops didn't pick them up, I know I didn't miss any of them... someone must have gotten to them first. An EMT or something, someone who touched the body after me and before the cops. Yeah, Garth had grabbed the dangly part of the rosary, with the leftover beads and cross, and they probably stayed squeezed in that soft white palm all the way down.

Or maybe the leftover bit stayed in, you know, Catherine's white palm. That'd be the first and most obvious place to check. She already wants to meet me to have a talk, so let's talk. I take out a loose piece of paper and make an envelope out of it, put the beads inside, then head back to the halls. Check her locker, there she is. I guess I kind of surprise her from the other side of her locker door when she closes it, that or she's just afraid of me in general. It ain't people in general, that's for sure.

"Hey. Sorry for sounding like a dick earlier. I just know it's a lovely time to have to think about what I asked–you got your own stuff going on, then there's all this. What I wanted, was to make it one less thing weighing on you..."

I'm getting nowhere. "–Here." I take the envelope with beaded lace out of my pocket and pass it to her. Cold hands she's got. "Point is, if I can help things get back together, that's what I want to do. For you. Then when things calm down, maybe then..." I don't know what to do. I do what she did to me. Caress her cheek. Give her a nervous smile. It's not really me, it's her. But I liked it when she did it to me–at first, before the realization set in. The context she left unspoken–pity. Well, I didn't leave the context unspoken. Affection, right? I think I'm doing it right...

[10:49 PM] BOTSidekick: @Delsin (slydingdoor): 2d6-1 turnon = (4+1)-1 = 4
Guess not!

Oh, and the envelope I made? Turns out I made it out of the paper I sketched her on. So she sees that too. Signed and dated today, like a real artist... A real, stupid artist.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 25, 2017

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Conditions:Drained Harm:1/4 Experience:2/5

poo poo. gently caress. God-DAMMIT.

I almost fell out of my chair, and I vaguely noticed knocking my coffee over as I jerked backwards in shock at what I half-saw...half-heard...was that Gina's voice?...and holy poo poo I've never had a migraine this bad.

I stumbled out of my chair. Okay...nurse's office. That was normal, right? This was normal. Headaches were normal. Nothing bizarre and demonic going on at all, nope.

Just needed a visit to the nurse's office.

Trying to run away from this awful scene, but...

Audrey (LifeGetsWorser) - Today at 11:10 AM
poor Audrey having such a bad time.
/r 2d6+1
SidekickBOT - Today at 11:10 AM
@Audrey (LifeGetsWorser): 2d6+1 = (1+1)+1 = 3
Audrey (LifeGetsWorser) - Today at 11:10 AM
w...t....f

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Alex Smith, The Cuckoo
Experience: 2/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: None! | Location: Homeroom

As the bell rings, I stand up and sling my bag up onto my back. I don't remember what class Audrey has next, but it might be a good opportunity for us to find a quiet spot and hash out our stories. I look over just in time to see her fling her coffee over and stumble her way out of the classroom. Maybe... maybe not? Clearly, she's got a bit more going on than I had thought. Well, regardless, that's fine. As long as I can get my story straight with one of them, almost certainly Catherine at this point, it really won't matter how spastic the others are. It may even help muddle the waters. I don't see Catherine, though, and it'd be much more fun to figure things out after winning our bet anyways.

I walk out into the hallway and walk down towards the freshmen lockers. If I'm lucky, I'll cross paths with Clarissa and get the matter of her clothes sorted sooner than not.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Conditions: Terrified | Harm: 1/4 | Experience: 1+1=2/5

Considering the Reverend's task and my extracurricular obligations, opportunities to talk to Jackie are pretty strictly limited to the school day, so it'll have to be now. Or, at the very least, soon. Luckily, Jackie's locker isn't too far from mine, and once class is over (Physics next -- glad I did the homework), she's there for me to flag down and walk over to my locker, multi-tasking as best I can. "Okay. This is a multi-step conversation, I think, which starts with the issue of the play. Right now, the Church is having some --" I close the door and there's wait who --!!

...it's just Delsin, but my heart is kind of pumping hard. For several reasons. And Jackie is giving me a quizzical look, if I'm reading her expression correctly. In my peripheral vision. "No, I wouldn't call it being... well, I do appreciate that you're so understanding about this." I rub my neck, feeling a little sheepish... but glad. Delsin's the kind of person I thought he was, slow to anger and quick to reconcile. And he wants to help me, not that --

Oh, he's already done something? A heavy envelope, with a... sketch of me. On it. It's well-done, and dated today. He... drew me without my noticing. Hmm. Is that flattering? "It's a good likeness. Thank you." Oh, but there's something inside, too --

-- hanging from my hand, on an unfamiliar string, familiar beads, strung irregularly, no weight of the cross. He knows it was missing and he took it back, even though I never mentioned it, even though it wasn't my fault that Garth fell and I know he could see that. How long has he been watching me? "Ah." I can't think of anything to say.

His hand shocks me back into reality. "I -- ah. I'm grateful for your... I need to get to class." I take a step, then another, and before I even completely realize it, I'm moving faster than I should. Don't run in the halls. But I already am, brushing past Jackie -- I manage a "I'll visit you in the theater if I can," which I hope she heard -- and at this point it seems insane to stop, so...

Sidekick posted:

@Catherine (Poltergrift): 2d6+1 = (3+4)+1 = 8
Choosing to cause a scene, and marking EXP for Volatile.

Calming down a little, I figure I'll have to visit Jackie, and maybe scope out Alex, with the theater troupe. There's too much riding on it, at this point. Maybe I can convince one of the other church attendee students to cover for me in exchange for a favor, or... I'll figure it out. And I'll figure Delsin out. How he discovered the rosary. How he got the beads. Where the rest are.

(Where he's keeping the rest?)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Catherine

You force yourself away from this crowd, which didn't feel half as much like a crowd a few minutes ago. People are looking at you, you can feel it -- you must be visibly agitated, and that's a little strange for you, isn't it? Suddenly a voice calls out "hey, Catherine" -- who is it?

Delsin

Well. That could have gone better, huh? At least she has the rosary back, or most of it, anyway. Still, she seemed very startled -- do you think it's just the Garth thing, or do you have another theory? What class do you have next, and are you going? If not, what are you doing?

Alex

As you approach the freshman lockers, you see Clarissa leaning on hers, talking to another one of the freshman theater girls -- what's her name, again, and what weird thing did she pull with the fall play? The other girl's locker looks to be decorated with streamers and balloons; presumably it's her birthday. The birthday girl is the one who turns towards you first. "Hiii, Alex!" How are you gonna play this, player?

Audrey

The pain is blinding for a moment, and you stumble into the lockers, losing your footing. Before you can find the strength to get up again, someone's offering you a hand. It's.. it's Joseph, and he seems... almost normal. Almost. He's not off in the way you're used to, but something still seems strange; what is it? "Audrey," he asks, "are you okay?"

What do you do?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Alex Smith, The Cuckoo
Experience: 3/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: None! | Location: Hallway

I can feel my blood growing cold as I approach the lockers. There's something rattling around the back of my skull. Some premonition of something awful to come. It doesn't fully solidify until I get around the balloons and see just who Clarissa was talking to. Oh. God, she just had to be talking to Alyssa of all people. I hadn't counted on their lockers being adjacent. She's... something of a sore spot. During the fall play, she had the bright idea of confessing to her crush. Mid-rehearsal. Worse still was that it was our reimagining of Romeo and Juliet and the crush was slow to realize that Alissa was veering wildly off-script. The poor fool played right into her hands and was forced to do all sorts of damage control to repair his reputation within the drama department. It would, perhaps, be nothing more than an amusing anecdote, if not for the fact that I was said crush. I may not like being overshadowed all the time and the joyless tediousness of this life, but there are some forms of excitement that I would gladly go without.

I do my best to assume an easy smile, hardly noticing that I'm slowly spinning the ring around my finger, and say, "Hey, Alyssa. Happy birthday." This will be awkward. I just need to get in and out with a minimum of fuss. Basic social niceties: check. I do my best to ignore the fawning look in her eyes as I turn towards Clarissa. I cough lightly, then charge ahead, "Hey, Clarissa, I'm working on some costume fittings tonight..." I raised my eyebrows slightly. "And you're on the list. I'm not at liberty to say what for, naturally, but I'm sure you'll be pleased. It'd really help me out if I could borrow some clothes for reference."

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 9:34 AM
@Alex (Tricky): 2d6+2 Manipulate Clarissa = (6+2)+2 = 10

Marking XP for rolling Hot and the motive is the implication that the fitting is for one of the bigger roles that she's shooting for.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Delsin
Good, bad? I don't know what the gently caress her freaking out and bolting means. All I do know is I can get to work on a new chain bracelet setting thing for those beads. Jewelrymaking is next period and I have the silver to get started. I'd never skip that class if I could help it, I'm good at crafts. All Indians are artists, after all. I can make bank if I put my mind to it, and with that bank I can do whatever the gently caress I want. I'm in the market for a car, for one, and also if the thing with Corrine goes well, maybe I'll actually buy more acid...

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo this has NOT been the best day for trying to seem cool and in control. I think my nose is bleeding and I'm definitely woozy, head spinning and everything but there's a hand and...

...and of course it's the other twin. Almost on queue. The fact that it was Joe made me suspicious, since it was Gina's voice in my head. What are the odds that A: I'm hearing their voices and B: one of them will show up immediately after I did? Like, there's no way that's a coincidence, right? Still, I take the hand and get up, and dust myself off. Yeah, nose definitely was bleeding. I held my hand up to it. Nurse's was still in the cards, of course, and now I had an even better excuse.

"Yeah uhm, just trying to...get some air. Bad migraine." Obviously, that was true, but I definitely wasn't going to explain why it was, not to...him. Whoever he was, pretending to be Joseph. "Figured I'd hit up the nurse's office, maybe I'll go home early.' Yeah right, like that works as a senior. "I'll be fine, really." I started walking. Yes, older sister thing and all I had to have a stiff upper lip, but truth was I just didin't trust his showing up.

Of course if he was really Joe he'd follow me anyway, but who knows? Let this serve as a test.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Conditions: Terrified | Harm: 1/4 | Experience: 2/5

Agitated? Am I that obvious? I don't think I'm typically publicly... anything, really. Schoolwork takes up enough of my time that there are very few opportunities to seem anything but distant, so right now I'm -- suddenly self-conscious, de-escalating to a brisk power walk, praying no one remarks on this... but prayer is not an instrument or a way to beg wishes from the Lord, like some tawdry genie, so --

"Hey, Cath."

-- well, there are worse punishments than my cousin Gabriel. It is certainly sweet, in a way, that he wants to 'help' me. There are people who would be happy to have a, well, thoughtful cousin, like him. Staring, ready to condemn the Church he's never even set foot in for the sake of the cousin he's only met once or twice.

Must get to class on time if I'm going to feel prepared for Jackie et al, yes? "Maybe later, Gabriel. You can see me at church." I slip past him. No eye contact. Gripping the part-rosary in my pocket, out of habit.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Alex

"Oh, of course!" Clarissa is precisely as easy as you thought she'd be, and she opens her locker. "I've got my club outfit in here -- is that okay, or do you need something more, uh, period?" She brings out a duffel bag and hands it over. Meanwhile, Alyssa seems to have totally frozen up, just staring at you; guess she's as embarrassed as you are? Finally, she squeaks out a tiny "thanks," then darts down the hall. All the better, right?

If you check the duffel bag, it looks like whatever's in it should work: a folded button-up blouse and pleated knee-length skirt, both unrelieved black. It's a bit of a harsh look for you, but this is for church, after all...

Catherine

"Um --" You give him the slip before Gabriel can stammer out much more than that. He's still looking as you go, but he doesn't stop you on your way to class. Maybe you'll manage to have some smooth sailing until you can talk to Jackie. Now that the reflexive need for prayer is passing... well, is there anything else you might want to talk to the Lord about, during the quiet moments in Physics? Or is Physics a time to be focused on the world?

Audrey

"Geez, okay," says Joseph. "You look bad. Let me know if we need to call Mom to..." He trails off, as if suddenly remembering that it's been years since Mom picked you up early from school for anything. "Well, you know. If we need to help you get home." He follows you for a few steps, then glances away at someone else in the hallway and leaves you be.

Truth be told, you probably could cut out early if you wanted to. Seniors are in a weird place of both heightened scrutiny and greater lenience; if you really had no reason, you'd be in trouble, but for a definite nosebleed and a plausible migraine, you'd probably be let go. Still, you were looking forward to something today, weren't you? What was it?

Delsin

Jewelrymaking is fairly normal today, although you have a lot of requests for help -- it looks like your fellow students recognize that you're good at this, and a few of them really lean on you. About halfway through the class, in fact, Mr. Lefler's cell phone buzzes, and he asks you to "fill in for a second" as he steps into the hallway to take a call. Although there's a second shadow on the glass of the studio door, as if he's talking to someone...

Scene 2: Lunchtime
I honestly forget if I adjudicated Scene 2 as already starting, but if it hasn't, it starts now. Clear highlights appropriately.

For better or for worse, morning classes pass, and soon it's lunchtime. Juniors and seniors are allowed off-campus for lunch, to one of the several restaurant options nearby (none particularly inspiring, but that's fast food for you), or just to eat somewhere different for a change. With the security paranoia dying off, more people are actually taking this option, so the cafeteria is a bit less packed than normal. Of course, there are still plenty of freshmen and sophomores who are campus-locked, so it's still crowded and noisy, but at least it's anonymous.

Everyone: What do you normally do about lunch? Any particularly favored locations, either to pick food up or to eat a lunch from home? When you sit in the cafeteria, where do you sit?

Alex

So... Casey wants to meet you. His text just said "Meet at Lunch," like you'd know what that means; where do you think he intends to meet you? And are you actually going?

Catherine

Do you normally have the luxury of eating during lunch, or is it time to catch up on homework? One of your morning classes gave you a nice "surprise" in that regard, too; what is it, and how do you intend to work that into your schedule? Where are you heading, whether or not you eat?

Audrey

So, has anything gotten any better since this morning? As you make your way through the hallway, you see Gina and Joseph conferring in low voices in the foyer. That wouldn't be unusual for the twins even in happier times, admittedly -- or would it?

Delsin

Forgive the question, but... you do eat, right? Or does your body have other needs that need to be met during the lunch period? On a different subject entirely, have you given Corrine any more thought, or about how you'd make the acid last?

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Define "better": do you mean do I still have a nosebleed? No. Am I still exhausted and freaking out as a result of my family being replaced by...whatever the hell they are? Yeah, I'm still pretty freaked out, thanks. Let's keep bringing that up, that helps.

I go off campus for lunch, mostly. And I still intended to, but I wanted that talk with Alex, first.

So I found him in the cafeteria, or the hall, or whatever. I come up behind him and tap him on the shoulder.

"Uhm, hi." I blink. "You want to go have that chat? I'll buy you lunch or whatever." I chew on my lip for a moment. drat headache, go away already!

sidekick you bastard, roll a turn on
Delsin (slydingdoor) - Today at 1:24 AM
oh wow people are here
Audrey (LifeGetsWorser) - Today at 1:24 AM
/r 2d6
SidekickBOT - Today at 1:24 AM
@Audrey (LifeGetsWorser): 2d6 = (6+1) = 7
Audrey (LifeGetsWorser) - Today at 1:24 AM
what's this? A not failed roll?

I guess pick self/string/promise Alex

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Delsin
Yeah I eat and fart and poo poo just like everyone else. I'm probably made of a stolen comatose body or something, but when I get really sick tired and hungry the machine parts turn on like an emergency generator, which can give me a boost when I need to get home for medicine. It hurts really bad when I run out though.

What else do I need to do? Deal with those big mouthed freshman. I find the ringleader–the one who saw my arm do its thing, and corner them and explain how the rumors hurt my feelings and they better admit they were lying unless they wanted to be lying on a stretcher. Then I leave them with that.

I'm too focused on dealing with this Catherine thing to worry about Corrine right now, although it looks like my would-be date won't give me the time of day... It's so goddamn frustrating! I wish I wasn't stuck on her. There's Audrey's thing tonight too. Maybe I can use the bruises I'm gonna let her give me to get sympathy... women love a wounded warrior. Especially a bleeding heart hippie.

Oh, and food-wise I just shovel down whatever they serve and stick to water for drinking. It doesn't make a difference, I'm not going to make it to Madelein's and become a connoisseur of white cuisine before I graduate or get rebooted anyway. Food is fuel and all that.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Alex Smith, The Cuckoo
Experience: 3/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: None! | Location: Lunch

By the time I had stowed the duffel bag in my locker and headed to the lunchroom, it had occurred to me that I didn't have any idea where Casey and his friends were actually going to be expecting me for this meeting. I preferred, when I ate on-campus, to grab food and just eat in the drama room. It was a little quieter in there. Well, whatever. If I didn't see him, I didn't see him. I still needed to get my story straight with Audrey.

A tap on the shoulder brought me back to the present. I turn around and, speak of the devil, it's Audrey. She's looking... good. Really good, actually. Much less out of it. I realize that she's been talking to me and struggle to recover, "Uh, yeah! Lunch sounds good. You want to eat here or take off?" An easy grin makes its way onto my face. What's going on? This isn't some excuse for a social gathering. This is about our alibis for a murder! Despite all of my completely rational misgivings, I find myself continuing, "Don't worry. I'm a cheap date."

Some nobody jostles their way through line behind me and I find myself pressed up against Audrey's body. I've seen it before, naturally, but this feels... interesting. Better. It's getting warm in here. Perhaps relocating to a more private location. Her car? Mine is hardly ideal, being a hand-me-down from Casey, but... Well, I suppose I'm getting ahead of myself. Lingering perhaps a moment or two longer than was strictly necessary, I cough lightly and add, "But, uh, no rush, yeah? I can blow off the afternoon classes no problem. Maybe make it a long lunch?"

What even are these lines I'm spouting? God, I hate being me. It would all be so much easier if I were playing a better part.

Alex is giving in to those nasty teenage hormones and offering himself.

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 2:40 PM
@Alex (Tricky): 2d6+2 Turn On Audrey = (4+1)+2 = 7

String/Self/Promise.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Oh, god. I resist the urge to groan audibly at the lameness of the pickup line.

Sorry, oldest sister syndrome. I've seen everything...more than I wanted to, honestly. But uh, enough about that.

Alex is getting a bit too close for comfort, so I take half a step back, blushing - but out of embarrassment only (seriously that's it stop smirking).

Alex can have a string on Audrey.

"Yeah uh...we'll take my car." I say and nod towards the side door, towards the parking lot.

I didn't take the car out today, Ken did. Technically only seniors could drive to class but I didn't want to drive everyone with...everything going on so I let him. But I had my own keys, which meant I had my own automatic locks, so it only took me a second and a couple clicks to find the Bentley.

Yeah yeah we're rich okay, whatever. I motion to the side door for Alex. "Get in. What do you wanna eat?" I ask. Still too many potential listening ears out here in the parking lot. I'd wait until we got on the road to bring up stuff.

------------------

But assuming we did get on the road, I glanced over at him for a moment.

"So...what did you want to talk about?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Conditions: Terrified | Harm: 1/4 | Experience: 2/5

The Reverend told me, once, when I was younger and understood less: when you are less than absolutely centered, you run the risk of wishing, rather than praying -- treating the Lord as an instrument of your will rather than the inverse. So Physics is a time for worldly work -- just note-taking and watching Mr. Bandsen, ignoring the rattle of his fingers on his desk. (I wish, though, that I could at least get a smile for consistently good grades.)

...if only the schedule worked. But there is an Art project -- one of my least favorite courses -- specifically, charcoal self-portraiture with the use of a mirror. In other words, something I can't do in class or at lunch. Not unless I want to work in the restroom. As such, I can't delay after school with Jackie; if I'm going to get the work done and clean the windows for the Reverend, I'll have to use the time I have effectively. Jackie has told me that she eats lunch at a restaurant called the "Golden Saffron Diner" -- I'm not completely sure what kind of cuisine that implies -- and it should be within walking distance, if I skip eating and power-walk, like I am now.

Which I generally do. I regret wasting the Reverend's meals, but there is such a thing as due diligence, and we eat plenty at breakfast and dinner (when I have the time), and at the festive meals of services (which I can always afford).

...considering the time I have now...

Focus, and center.

O LORD posted:

O, Lord,
The God of Adam Kadmon,
Who separates Esau from Jacob,
Abel from Cain,
Who divides the Kingdom from its Material
And provides the laborer's bread,
And swallows up his need,
Hear the prayer of one who is not
worthy to serve You...