Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Released in 2003 in Japan and 2004 in Europe on the Playstation 2, Glass Rose apparently was the first game developed by Cing. Glass Rose was published by Capcom and never released in America.

The main draw of this game is the story, so please refrain from any spoilers, even under a tag. Speculation is more than welcomed, and does not need to be tagged.

This will be a screenshot LP. There are some FMV's in Glass Rose, I'll put in a Polsy link to these. Commentary will be in Italics, which will also be used to denote Takashi's non-verbal thoughts.

Cast:

Takashi Kagetani. The main character. Everyone in 1929 believes him to be Kazuya Nanase, Denemon's illegitimate and estranged child. Takashi was designed after (and in the Japanese version, voiced by) Masahiro Matsuoka.

Emi Katagiri. Fell into the same time slip as Takashi. In 1929 she appears as a spectre that only Takashi can see.

Denemon Yoshinodou, the founder and chairman of New World Cinema.

The Gardener.

The Butler.

The Maid.

The detective assigned to investigate Denemon's death.

Denemon's eldest child, and the president of New World Cinema.

Wife of Hideo and mother of Hideya.

Denemon's grandson, son of Hideo and Youko.

Denemon's eldest daughter, an actress with New World Cinema.

Director at New World Cinema and Takako's fiancé.

Denemon's youngest daughter, a student.

Denemon's second eldest daughter, and her fiancé, a silent film narrator at New World Cinema.

Denemon's third and current wife.

Hisako Yoshinodou, Denemon's deceased first wife, and mother of Hideo and Takako.

Actress under exclusive contract to New World Cinema.

Detective called to assist in the investigation of the Cinema Mansion murders. Emi Katagiri's grandfather.

Yurie Yoshinodou, Denemon's deceased second wife, mother of Kanae and Marie.

New actress under exclusive contract to New World Cinema, and assistant to Tsuyako.

Acquaintance of Katagiri.

Index:

22nd October 1929 - 16:00.
22nd October 1929 - 17:00.
22nd October 1929 - 18:00 (Part One.)
22nd October 1929 - 18:00 (Part Two.)
22nd October 1929 - 19:00.
22nd October 1929 - 20:00.
22nd October 1929 - 21:00.
22nd October 1929 - 22:00.
Denemon's Notes solution/Notebook update.

22nd October 1929 - 23:00.
23rd October 1929 - 00:00.
23rd October 1929 - 01:00.
23rd October 1929 - 08:00.
23rd October 1929 - 09:00.
23rd October 1929 - 10:00.
23rd October 1929 - 11:00.
23rd October 1929 - 12:00.
23rd October 1929 - 13:00.

23rd October 1929 - 14:00.
23rd October 1929 - 15:00.
23rd October 1929 - 16:00 (Part One.)
23rd October 1929 - 16:00 (Part Two.)
23rd October 1929 - 17:00.
23rd October 1929 - 18:00.
23rd October 1929 - 19:00.
23rd October 1929 - 20:00.

23rd October 1929 - 21:00.
23rd October 1929 - 22:00.
23rd October 1929 - 23:00.
24th October 1929 - 00:00.
24th October 1929 - 08:00.
24th October 1929 - 09:00 (Part One.)
24th October 1929 - 09:00 (Part Two.)
24th October 1929 - 10:00.
24th October 1929 - 11:00.
24th October 1929 - 12:00.

24th October 1929 - 13:00.
24th October 1929 - 14:00.
24th October 1929 - 15:00.
24th October 1929 - 16:00.
24th October 1929 - 17:00.
24th October 1929 - 18:00.
24th October 1929 - 19:00 (Part One.)
24th October 1929 - 19:00 (Part Two.)
24th October 1929 - 20:00.
24th October 1929 - 21:00.
24th October 1929 - 22:00.
24th October 1929 - 23:00.
Ending.
Ending Redux.
Conclusion.

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Cing don't get their own screen like Capcom, they just get a little mention at the bottom of the title screen.

The Options aren't very interesting, but I thought I'd show them for anyone that was curious.

The only difference between the Easy and Standard difficulty is that the quill cursor flashes when it's hovering over something of interest in Easy. I believe there is one other minor difference as well, but I'll talk a little more about that later.

I'll confess now, and admit that I'll be playing the game on Easy mode for this LP.

Video:The Beginning.

When you're supposed to investigate a room, the game sometimes gives you these shots; they usually indicate where the in the room you need to check to progress the story.

(Emi's not here...Where could she be...?)

(Huh? There's something on the floor...)

I think, though I'm not sure, that the loss of Mind Points is a bit higher on Standard difficulty.

Let me know if you want me to pick up or ignore the Heart Fragments.

At this point, we can look around the room Takashi is in.

The door is locked, preventing Takashi from leaving, so let's read the newspaper since we can't go for a walk.

Unsolved cases of the Twentieth Century.

The photo on the desk

Video:Katagiri's Notebook.

Takashi uses the notebook to record information he's learnt. I'll show off the notebook at the end of each chapter, with the exception of Denemon's Notes which I'll cover in a couple of updates.

The Gramaphone

Video:Cinema Mansion in 2003.

The lamp on the desk.

Video:A walk up to the Cinema Mansion

The display case.

The desk

The Window.

Video:Matsunosuke Shimada.

Takashi! Where are you?

Emi! I'm right here!

Looks like she can't hear me, either!

Video:Kunio Hachiya.

Your colour is looking a little better.

(Who is this man?)

This is the reason that I opted to use Easy mode for the LP. Glass Rose can be a little finicky about the phrases it will accept. You also need to make sure that you highlight the phrase perfectly. For example:

Leads to:

However, this:

(Note the comma is highlighted) Leads to:

Additionally, it's possible for phrases to overlap.

Unless anyone objects, rather than post a picture showing each time Takashi questions a character about a new word or phrase, I'll just bold underline the word/phrase Takashi is asking about, and keep screenshots for new topics.

Kazuya

Kazuya...? Who’s that?

Kazuya, what are you saying!

Huh?

Kazuya, are you feeling all right, sir? Have you forgotten who I am?

I'm Hachiya, the butler, sir.

Certain words and phrases will open new topics in a conversation.

Pressing Circle during a conversation will bring these nodes up. Each node represents a conversation topic; if the node is red, it means you've gone through all the words and phrases in that topic, if the node is blue, it means that there's still at least one word or phrase to be checked. If you have missed something in a previous topic, you can use the nodes here to jump back.

Kazuya.

Why, Kazuya is you, sir!

Not all words and phrases in a conversation lead to useful or helpful responses. I usually won't show those responses.

Feeling all right

Are you still feeling poorly? Please try to set a hold of yourself, sir.

Butler

I've been serving as Mr. Yoshinodou's butler since this mansion was built!

Hachiya

Hachiya. . . ?

That‘s right. I’m Hachiya, the butler. I'm the same butler who greeted you at the door when you arrived, sir.

You greeted me...? What's going on here? I don't understand what you‘re talking about.

Please try to get a grip on yourself. You really remember nothing, sir? When you heard what I said before, you were so shaken. you fainted on the spot.

Nothing

Have you really forgotten everything that's happened since you arrived here?

Shaken

It's not surprising that you would be shocked. I understand how you feel.

Fainted

You suddenly got dizzy and then just fell to the floor, sir.

On the spot

I was talking to you right here in the study.

What I said

When I heard what you said. I fainted...? What exactly did you say to me?

I was telling you the tragic news about Mr. Yoshinodou.

The Tragic News

The tragic news...? What tragic news...?

(Unh... My head hurts...! What's wrong with me...?)

Video: A vision in sepia.

Are you all right, Kazuya?

Huh...?

(What was that I just saw...? Who was sitting in that chair?)

You poor man! Have you really forgotten...?

Last night, your father, Mr. Denemon Yoshinodou, in this very room...

My father. . . ?

I can't believe you've forgotten what happened to Mr. Yoshindou!

Very well. I'll tell you the whole story over again from the beginning. Listen carefully.

Mr. Denemon Yoshindou, your father and the head of this mansion...was found dead in this room last night.

Your Father:

Because of... Circumstances...you were separated from Mr. Yoshinodou, your father, when you were a child.

Was found

I wasn't the one who found Mr. Yoshinodou's body.

This room

This room is the study where Mr Yoshinodou spent much of his time.

Denemon Yoshindou:

Denemon. . . Yoshinodou. . .

That's right, sir. Mr. Denemon Yoshinodou, your father, died last night. Before you had the chance to meet with him...

(What's going on here? Denemon Yoshinodou was the first victim in that unsolved murder case. And now that Denemon is supposed to be my father...?)

(Why is he telling me this...?)

Kazuya, are you quite all right? The shock of this sudden tragedy must still have you very shaken...

But my name's not ”Kazuya." It‘s...

What are you saying, sir? You are Kazuya, Kazuya Nanase.

Kazuya... Nanase...?

Kazuya, please get a hold of yourself, sir. The shock of missing Mr. Yoshinodou must be too much for you.

(This man really does think I'm some guy named Kazuya Nanase. But why...?)

I’m worried about you, sir. You are Kazuya Nanase. You were separated in your childhood, but Mr. Yoshinodou never forgot you. He told me so himself.

In your childhood

I heard it was when you were around three or four years old.

Separated

Something about circumstances beyond his control... I didn‘t inquire further.

Never

Mr. Yoshinodou always had you in his heart, Kazuya.

Kazuya Nanase

Kazuya, are you all right, sir? For a long time. Mr. Yoshinodou didn‘t have any word of you at all. But then he located you at last. He called you here so that you could finally meet again after twenty years.

He called me here...?

(This place is the Cinema Mansion in 1929...! Denemon has died...lt’s all just started...)

Is everything all right, Kazuya?

(Why does this man think I'm Kazuya Nanase...? Why? I just can’t understand it!)

(Kazuya... Nanase...)

Huh?

(What was that...? Was that...me...?)

(What in the world did I just see...? Did I...? Don't tell me...Did I just read this guy's mind? How on earth could I do that...? Unh...! My head...!)

There isn't anyone in this room but you and me, sir.

What?!

Emi disappears again.

Oh!

There, there, poor Kazuya! You must be very upset by the sudden tragedy...

Why don't you try to rest, sir? I'll show you to your room.

That last screenshot is Takashi looking around as he hears the door being locked behind him.

I can hardly believe it...but it looks like I'm in the Cinema Mansion in 1929, the place where that serial murder case took place...!

Poor Emi...We both fell into a time slip, but it looks like I'm the only one who can see her. Maybe she's in a different time continuum.

For some reason, the people in this time think I'm Kazuya Nanase....Kazuya, Denemon's illegitimate child...Kazuya's name never came up in the materials I researched.

What's going on...?

The Houseboy Room.

The cabinet.

The picture.

Video:Moving the picture.

No reply. :( And the picture is still crooked.

The nightstand.

Video:The glass jigsaw puzzle.

Video:The Mask.

The mask on the desk.

Video:The first jigsaw puzzle piece.

Video:Kikuyo Rokujou.

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 29, 2017

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Really interested to see where this goes as I had tried to play it myself before but the word selection mechanics were a bit too precise and fickle. Include a period....nope, don't understand what you mean by that. Accidentally include an extra space....nope, that doesn't work either. Still an interesting approach to progressing a story and figuring out clues, but it felt like it needed some work.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Video: Ryouji Ihara.

Before we start chatting, let's see what the detective is thinking.

That's not very professional. :colbert:

When the game allows, I'll always try to read a character's mind at the start of a conversation.

Who are you...?

I'm Police Detective Ihara.

Ihara

My name's Ryouji Ihara. Remember that.

Police Detective

You're a police detective?

That's right. You got a problem with the police?

No, I don't have any problem with the police.

Don't look like that. It‘s not like I've decided you are the culprit yet or anything. I just barely started the investigation into Denemon's cause of death.

Don't look

So, you come to the mansion and this happens. Now you don't know what to do. That's right. It's written all over your face.

Look like

It seems to me I've seen your face somewhere before...But I could be wrong.

The culprit

If Denemon was murdered by somebody, the culprit is somebody in this mansion.

The investigation

I got the report from the butler, Hachiya, this morning. I'm just starting on the investigation.

Cause of death

Denemon's cause of death...? How did Denemon Yoshinodou die...?

How did Denemon die? Don‘t you even know that? Denemon drank poisoned wine last night and was found dead in the study.

Dead

How was Denemon's body found...?

Denemon was found dead in his chair, with his face on the desk.

Who found the body?

That woman.

(That woman? Who is “that woman”?)

That woman? Who do you mean?

You don't know anything about the death or this mansion, do you? Hmph. A sorry state of affairs!

(I wonder who “that woman” is?)

When Takashi starts mentally questioning something in a conversation like the above, it's usually a hint that you need to use Divine Judgement, and look into a characters mind to continue. This can be helpful, since the conversation nodes are only of help for verbal questioning; if Takashi has asked the person he's talking to about all the words and phrases that will elicit a response, the node will turn red, even if you need to use Divine Judgement on a word/phrase to continue the story. Divine Judgment works in the same way as normal conversation; just highlight the word/phrase of interest, using the Triangle button, instead of the X button.

Kikuyo, the maid...

That's right. How did you know? Did Hachiya tell you? The first person to find Denemon dead was Kikuyo Rokujou, the maid.

Kikuyo Rokujou

Kikuyo has been working at this mansion for a long time.

Wine

Denemon was drinking an imported wine, a red Bordeaux.

The study

I hear Denemon was holed up alone in the study for the past several nights.

Poisoned wine

There was poison in the wine?

Yeah, there was potassium cyanide in the wine Denemon was drinking.

(A medicine bottle...)

What is it? Do you know anything about potassium cyanide? Potassium cyanide is a powerful drug. Just a little bit will kill a man.

I'm curious as to Takashi's thought process myself. He researched the murder before he came to Cinema Mansion, he knows how Denemon was killed, and he knows that Denemon was the first victim in a serial murder case. It could be that Takashi was pleading ignorance so as not to raise suspicion, but I somehow doubt it.

Maybe the people in this mansion are trying to pass this event off like Denemon took his own life, like it was just some unfortunate incident...But was it really? ...Nah, that death wasn't any suicide. It was murder!

The people

Denemon's family and employees.

This mansion

All this gorgeous furniture, rooms for more than fifty people...This mansion is as grand as they all say.

Took his own life

Nobody takes his own life without a reason...

Unfortunate incident

If this family was a normal family, Denemon's death might just be an unfortunate incident, but...

The last two options; suicide and murder, both open up new lines of conversation

Suicide

So you think it wasn't suicide?

That's right. I say it wasn't suicide. There wasn't any suicide note, and I can't see any reason why Denemon would want to take his own life.

Suicide note

I haven't found a suicide note. I doubt a man of Denemon's stature would attempt suicide without leaving a note.

Reason

You can't see any reason...?

Denemon took the trouble of seeking you--his illegitimate child--out and inviting you here to the mansion. I just don‘t see any reason why Denemon would kill himself before getting to meet you.

Going back to the poisoned wine line of conversation.

Murder

Murder...So Denemon was killed?

What about you? Haven't you ever thought about killing Denemon?

What?!

Just because you were illegitimate, you were abandoned as a child, and didn't get to live in this grand mansion. And judging from your clothes, you’ve probably had your share of hard times. It wouldn‘t be so strange if you hated Denemon enough to kill him.

Hated him enough...to kill him...?

That's right. And you're not the only one. I bet there's somebody else in this mansion who felt the same way.

(I wonder who else this man thinks hated Denemon...?)

I don't have to tell you who, but I’ve already got a feeling...I just know somebody hated Denemon in this mansion...

Denemon

I bet a guy like Denemon would think nothing of taking away what's precious to other people or trampling all over their feelings when it suited him.

This mansion

People call this place ”the Cinema Mansion.” Denemon made money in the film industry and built this palatial residence. I can just bet you this house has some kind of complicated story behind it...

Somebody (Divine Judgement)

(I wonder who he thinks hated Denemon...?)

(Who is that woman?)

What's the matter? You think you know what I was thinking?

No...

Of course not. How could you possibly know what I'm thinking?

These past several years, Denemon has closed himself off from the outside world. He doesn't set a foot outside this mansion, and only allows his new, young wife and three senior staff members to stay here with him.

Why was Denemon living like that? And after twenty years of no contact, why would Denemon suddenly call you, his illegitimate child, here?

I...I don't know.

I'm willing to bet there are quite a few hidden secrets in this mansion.

Secrets

Hidden secrets...?

Yeah. If I can find out those secrets, I can figure out Denemon’s death.

Figure out Denemon's death...

It'll take quite a bit of time to investigate a mansion this size, so I'll be staying here for a while. Until my investigation is over, none of the people involved with Denemon will be allowed to leave the mansion. That goes for you too. Got that?

Kikuyo starts whispering to Ihara.

With Ihara gone, we can do some looking around the Bellflower Room. As with the Study, the game helpfully shows us the areas that we need to look at.

We also get another tutorial screen.

The Bellflower Room as a whole.

The Table.

The Shelf.

The door back to the Great Hall.

Video: Through the first keyhole.

The door leading to the Garden.

Video: Through the second keyhole.

Our hero. :allears:

That guy is Matsunosuke, the gardener.

If you had waited like I told you, none of this would've happened. Get back to your room and stay there.

No, not me... It’s Kazuya Nanase they hate. Who in the world is this "Kazuya Nanase,” anyway...? What does he have to do with the unsolved murder case here?

Just make sure you stay away from angry rake wielding gardeners.

Emi...How are Emi and going to get back to our own time now...

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 29, 2017

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
This is probably a dumb question, but does Takashi look like Kazuya? The butler said he was the one to greet Kazuya when he arrived the previous night, and presumably that would have been before any time slippery. Or maybe it was late and he wasn't paying much attention.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Lock Knight posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but does Takashi look like Kazuya? The butler said he was the one to greet Kazuya when he arrived the previous night, and presumably that would have been before any time slippery. Or maybe it was late and he wasn't paying much attention.

Going from the image of Kazuya that Takashi saw in Hachiya's mind - - the two do look alike.

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 21, 2017

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Let's see what Kikuyo's thinking.

Takako

Takako...?

Mr. Yoshinodou's oldest daughter, Takako.

Mr. Yoshinodou's oldest daughter...?

Yes, Mr. Yoshinodou's child. Having received word of his death, all of Mr. Yoshinodou’s children have come home here to the mansion.

When Takako heard you were here, she said she wanted to see you right away. Takako's waiting. She said she wanted to have a talk with you.

Glass Rose doesn't have the smoothest prose.

You

You means you – Kazuya. I don't know anything else about you.

A talk

What does she want to talk to me about...?

I'm afraid I have no idea what she wishes to speak to you about. Takako is waiting in the Orchid Room.

The Orchid Room...?

The Orchid Room is on the second floor. Use the staircase in the Great Hall to get to the second floor.

The second floor of this mansion...

Yes, Mr. Yoshinodou's children all have rooms on the mansion's second floor.

I get the impression this is Kikuyo's way of making a subtle jab at Kazuya for being illegitimate.

To get to the Orchid Room where Takako is, take the second floor hallway into the east passage and turn left. It's at the end of the passage.

Another thing...

their rooms on the second floor. Their rooms are the Iris Room and the Holly Room. If you see them, why don' t you introduce yourself?

Another tutorial screen.

Upwards is the stairs and the door leading to the Annex, which is currently locked The further door on the side leads to the Study, the nearer room to the Houseboy Room.

This passage leads to the Main Hallway. Kikuyo will stop us if we try to go down there now.

To the left is the Grape Room, also currently locked.

To the right is the Bellflower Room, and the Vestibule. We actually can go into the Vestibule now, but there's nothing to do there.

Turning right again takes us to the doors leading out to the garden. They're locked right now.

This is the Rose Room. We'll be going in here in the next update.

This is the Holly Room, where Marie resides.

This is the Hydrangea Room, currently locked.

This is the Orchid Room.

Video: Takako Yoshinodou.

Excuse me...

Are you Kazuya? I heard about you from Hachiya. I'm Takako. You know who I am, right?

Kikuyo told me you wanted to see me...

They say there's a police detective here, investigating Father's cause of death.

A Police Detective

I simply can't believe there's a detective in this mansion! How could this be happening?

Father

You look a little bit like Father when he was young. I wonder if your... personality resembles his, too?

Cause of death

They say there was poison in his wine. I don't know what everybody else thinks, but I think Father was murdered. By Ayako.

Takako certainly doesn't waste time.

Ayako

Ayako? Who's that?

Father's new wife. She shuts herself up in her room and hasn't even said hello since we all came home!

She shuts herself up in her room?

She's always been like that. Even when I used to live here. We're right here together on the second floor, too! But she never changes...

Well, if you‘re Father's child, let me give you a piece of advice.

Never trust Ayako. She's the witch that made Father change.

Witch...?

That's right. She's the reason Father got that way.

(Got what way? I wonder what she means?)

She's a witch, Kazuya. Marrying her was the reason Father ended up like this.

A Witch

When Ayako came, she brought misfortune with her. She's just like a witch.

Marrying

I opposed him marrying her right up till the end. I knew this would happen someday.

Ended up (Divine Judgement)

(Got what way...?)

The burn... on his face...?

Father was a strong person. He wasn't the type of man that would let a thing like that change him. Ayako had us all kicked out of the mansion! She took advantage of the change in Father over since that day 5 years ago...

Us

Father kept that Ayako with him. But he kicked his children--his own flesh and blood--out of the mansion.

The Change

Father started to avoid us.

That day 5 years ago

That day five years ago...?

September 1st. 1924. You remember, don‘t you? The day that huge earthquake hit Tokyo. Father was different from that day on. He started wearing a mask. And then Ayako--

Video: Kiyohiko Yoshikawa.

Sorry, but we're trying to talk. I hope you don't mind...

I'll leave in a minute. I just wanted to introduce myself.

So you're Kazuya, are you?

He was an assistant movie director until just a little while ago...But he got engaged to the chairman's daughter and now he's a real director!

Hey, don't say that, darling!

What's wrong with that? It's true, isn't it?

Takako's really not happy about her fiance's presence.

Kiyohiko just wants to think about fashion.

I had no idea the chairman had another child. I was really surprised when Takako told me the news.

Child

I knew the chairman had four children--one boy and three girls, but I never heard a word about you.

The News

When we heard you‘d been summoned by the chairman and had arrived at the mansion, we were all surprised.

Takako

She's my beloved fiancée. and a star actress with our New World Cinema.

Fiancee

Takako and I just got engaged. Now that the chairman is gone, I'll be the one to take care of her.

Back to the chairman topic.

The chairman

The Chairman...?

Mr. Denemon Yoshinodou. the one that just died. Denemon gave up the presidency to his oldest son, Hideo, four years ago and became chairman. I really respect him! He threw himself Into the fledgling film industry while young and built New World Cinema into a great success.

The presidency

The position of president of New World Cinema carries heavy responsibility. The next generation or film-making has arrived, and everybody will be looking to Hideo to see what he'll do as president.

Oldest son

Hideo is your older brother and Takako's.

Four years ago

It was one year after the chairman got injured in the great earthquake.

Chairman

After Denemon stepped aside and became chairman though, he didn't show up at the company once...

Respect

Denemon understood the importance of learning new movie techniques. He was really innovative. He even sent me to Hollywood to study camera work.

Film Industry

Denemon was quick to see the entertainment value of movies, and established a film-making company when he was young. He created many masterpieces of silent film.

New World Cinema

Takako and I are a leading actress and a movie director under exclusive contract to New World Cinema. I suppose we're the future of New World Cinema now...

Actually, our company is finally going to start real talking film production. We‘re scheduled to start filming our new talkie next week.

Next Week

I thought about putting off the start of filming because of what happened, but Takako said she didn't want to change the schedule.

Filming

New World Cinema's studios are in Asakusa, here in Tokyo.

Talking film

Talking films are films with sound--people talking, sound effects. The United States released a film called "The Jazz Singer" two years ago, and it's a big hit.

New talkie

Our new talkie is that famous old masterpiece. ”Dolls”. You've probably seen it at least once, haven't you? We‘re going to remake ”Dolls” into a new talking film.

Masterpiece

”Dolls" was New World Cinema's monumental first work, a silent film of great renown.

We

Of course, I‘ll be the director and Takako will play the leading role.

”Dolls”

What kind of movie is it?

What? You've never seen it?

“Dolls” is the story of a sad man who loves his wife so much, he goes mad with jealousy and ends up killing her.

Hisako Yoshinodou...?

That's right. Actually, she was--

I told you Kazuya and I were trying to talk. Now if you don't mind...

...All right. I was just leaving.

Kiyohiko leaves.

What did you want to talk to me about?

What did Father summon you for? What's your purpose in coming here?

Father

Now we'll never know what Father was thinking or feeling.

You

Who is your mother?

Actually... I don't even remember her face... They tell me she died when I was a baby.

Really...?

Here

Actually... I didn't want to come back here...

Purpose

My purpose in coming here...?

That's right. I want to know your purpose in coming to meet with Father.

Well, I...

Is it because you want some of Denemon Yoshinodou‘s fortune?

No!

Everybody came back to this mansion, not to mourn Father's death, but to find out what's in his will and how much they're going to inherit.

Mansion

People around here call this mansion ”the Cinema Mansion.” They thought it was creepy when Father started wearing a mask.

Death

They say that people who live like Father did don't die a normal death...He probably understood that better than anyone.

Will

When Father was alive, he once said, "After I die, I want the family to spend three days together in the mansion, and my will to be read on the third day.”

Inherit

Aren't you interested in your inheritance?

I don't want any of Father's fortune. What I care about is finding out why Father...

Oh, my...

What was that just now...? What does Takako wonder about, more than her own inheritance...)

Oh, why did Father have to die without explaining about that time...?

(“That time”...? I wonder what Takako means?)

What am I going to do? Whenever I come back here, what happened that day all comes rushing back to me...

What Happened (Divine Judgement)

(What does she mean by "what happened that day'?)

(A red flower...Who was that in the portrait?)

What did you remember just now?

Uh... It‘s nothing... But I... Unh!

Are you all right?

All of a sudden. I don‘t feel very well...I'm sorry, but could you come back after nine?

Takashi leaves.

What did you and she talk about?

Talk about

You want to know what we talked about?

Yeah...Was she mad?

No, not especially.

Well, that's good then.

I let something slip I shouldn't have when we were talking before...

I talked about something that's a taboo topic with Takako, so I wondered how she was...

Taboo topic

A taboo topic...?

Yeah. I mentioned her mother when I was talking about “Dolls“. Remember?

How she was

Actually, it's not just what happened when we were talking, I've been worried about her ever since we arrived at the mansion...There's something... strange about the way she's acting...

Something strange...?

At first, I thought she was just shaken by her father's death...But that doesn't seem to be the only thing bothering her...I hope it's just one of her usual moods...

Usual moods

Takako is a very proud, rather selfish woman. To tell the truth, adjusting to her moods takes a bit of work.

Her mother

Her mother...?

You mean you don't know? Hisako Yoshinodou, the actress that starred in the original “Dolls”, was Takako's mother.

Hisako Yoshinodou

Hisako was the first actress under exclusive contract to New World Cinema.

“Dolls”

New World Cinema was built on the success of the original “Dolls”.

Takako's mother

Takako's mother...

Hisako was the chairman's first wife. They had two children together, and I hear she died when Takako was three years old.

Hisako

I heard the chairman met her in Shinbashi when she was a geisha and fell in love with her at first sight.

Chairman

They say the chairman founded New World Cinema right after marrying Hisako.

Two children

Hisako was Hideo's and Takako's mother.

Three

She died when Takako was three...?

I heard it was a sudden accident. I don't know the details, and Takako doesn't like to talk about the subject. I think Takako has some bad memories surrounding her mother’s death...

Sudden accident

That's what they say, anyway. Please don't go asking her about it, okay?

Subject

Not only does Takako not like to talk about her mother‘s death, she doesn‘t like to talk about her mother at all.

Bad memories

Takako doesn't like to show weakness. If she has bad memories surrounding her mother's death, I' m sure she'd just try to pretend they don' t exist.

Mother's death

Please just remember: Don't ever talk about Hisako in front of Takako. I hate it when she's in a bad mood...

Kiyohiko goes back into the Orchid Room.

Next update: Cat hunting in the Holly Room.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Making a movie using dolls about a man who loves his wife so much he kills her, starring your actual wife.

Let me guess, they shot it on the grounds of an old shrine during a full moon and broke some odd stone marker in the process?

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

The “room preview” only shows the lamp and the bed, but there is one other point of interest in this room as well.

The bookcase where we pick up our first set of Denemon's notes. These contain riddles, that, if you solve, you'll be rewarded with a number of heart fragments. There is one note per chapter, and the riddle has to be solved within that same chapter.

The Holly Room.

The lamp.

Video: The Holly Room Lamp.

The bed.

Video: Marie Yoshinodou.

Hee hee hee....

So, you're Kazuya, are you?

Kazuya

And you are...?

How do you do? I’m Marie. Hachiya told me my brother was here.

Hachiya

I don't like Hachiya. He's always giving people strange looks through these glasses of his.

Brother

They told me your name. Kazuya Nanase, right? When I heard I had another brother, I was so happy!

Marie

Marie...?

That's right. I'm Marie. I'm Denemon Yoshinodou‘s fourth child...No, wait a minute! I guess I'm fifth, now that there’s you! Hee hee hee!

Is this your room?

Yeah. I mean it was, when I used to live here...

When you used to live here...?

I haven’t been here once since I moved into the dorm. That's because nobody ever said it was okay to come home...But then Father died and I finally got to come back.

Here

This mansion holds lots of memories for me...

Dorm

Yeah, I've been living in the girl's school dorm. Father's orders.

Come home

The whole time I was gone, I kept wanting to come home.

Father

Kazuya...? Do you know how Father died?

There was... poison in his wine...

Yeah. that's what Hachiya said. And he said Father must’ve committed suicide...But I know what really happened.

Father was murdered, wasn't he? Everybody's lying.

Lying

Everybody in this house always lies, all of the time!

Father

Father was murdered...?

Yup. Father was murdered. I'm sure of it!

(She's sure of it...? I wonder who Marie thinks killed Denemon...?)

Don't you know...? Don't you know who killed Father, Kazuya?

Who (Divine Judgement)

(Who does Marie think killed Denemon...?)

(Hey! That was...!)

Father was killed by a demon...

A demon...?

Yup. Father was killed by a demon. By the demon that‘s possessed this house...

Marie...

Kikuyo's not pleased.

I-I didn't tell him anything...

You shouldn't be in here. Please leave at once.

You were the one who told Takashi to say hello to Marie. :mad:

Kikuyo leaves without actually forcing Takashi to leave the Holly Room, but Marie isn't willing to talk anymore after Kikuyo's little visit.

Back in the hallway, if we take the side path from the Rose Room, we come to the Iris Room. The door you can see on the right-hand side leads to the unlocked Poppy Room.

Try to enter the Iris Room and...

I can see somebody through the keyhole.

Takashi really likes peeping through keyholes.

I don't know why. Takako's always hated red flowers, ever since she was a little girl. I asked Kikuyo about it, but she said she didn't know either.

Really? I...

Video: Kanae Yoshinodou and Kaidou Nonomura.

Wait a minute... You must be Kazuya.

Kazuya?

The one Hachiya was talking about -- your older brother.

What?

If we try to talk to Kanae now, she'll just tell Takashi to talk to Kaidou first.

How do you do? I’m Kaidou Nonomura, Kanae's fiancé.

Fiancé

We just got engaged last month.

Kaidou Nonomura

You're Kaidou Nonomura...?

I‘m a silent film narrator at the Ginza Theater.

I've never seen clothes like that before. What kind of work do you do?

Silent film narrator

A silent film narrator...?

You mean you don't know Kaidou? He's the most popular narrator in all of Ginza! Kaidou's got ladies with flowers lined up at the stage door every night!

Not everybody's interested in narrators, you know. Let's not talk about that anymore, Kanae.

What...? Fine.

Silent film audiences need us narrators to explain what's going on in the film. The narration makes the film enjoyable. I like the idea of that, and that's why I chose this work.

Clothes

I don't think I've ever seen anybody wearing clothes like that before. Where did you get them?

Work

I... I work at a newspaper publishing company...

Hmm. A newspaper publishing company, huh...? And where do you live?

Well, I...

I bet he‘s too ashamed to tell people what he really does or where he lives...

Kanae, don't be rude! Everybody has things they want to keep to themselves, you know.

Kaidou's a lot more willing to stand up to Kanae than Kiyohiko is to Takako.

Fine. Whatever...

The Ginza Theatre

The Ginza Theater...?

It's a New World Cinema movie theater in Ginza.

A movie theater in Ginza?

Haven't you ever been there? It’s all the rage. It's a movie theater that only shows New World Cinema films.

Now the Ginza Theater is showing a film called ”End of the World.” It’s directed by Mr. Yoshikawa and stars Takako.

The Ginza Theatre

If you ever come to Ginza, you should come to the theater. I'll get you in.

End of the World

It's a modern love story, an open imitation of American films.

Mr. Yoshikawa

Takako's fiancé. He directs nothing but her films now.

Takako

Have you met Takako yet? ”Never trust Ayako.” I bet that's what she said to you, am I right?

You actually can meet Kaidou and Kanae before meeting Takako.

Uh, what's Ayako like...?

She's in the Rose Room. Why don't you go see her and find out for yourself?

We can't meet Ayako until we've spoken to Takako, Marie, Kaidou and Kanae though.

That ends the conversation with Kaidou, time to talk to Kanae.

Hachiya told me you came here because Father invited you. How exactly did you approach Father anyway?

Hachiya

Hachiya said you didn't get to see Father after all. Is that true?

Here

This is the Yoshinodou Mansion. You don't belong here.

Father

What did you do, take advantage of some weakness of Father's? How else could you have gotten him to invite you here? It’s unthinkable! A shady character like you could never be part of this family!

You

The guy who's after Father's fortune. The one who claims to be Denemon Yoshinodou's child.

Unthinkable

I'll never accept you as my brother!

Family

Denemon Yoshinodou's only legitimate children are Hideo, Takako, Marie and I. Just the four of us!

There isn’t anything else to say to this man.

Kazuya, it looks like we’ll be staying at the mansion a while, too. I'm sure we'll find some time to talk.

Kanae and Kaidou go back into their room, and we go off to the Rose Room.

The Rose Anteroom.

The fireplace.

The drawer.

The turtle.

Video: Ayako Yoshinodou.

Are you all right?

I get dizzy all the time. I just don't feel well...I've lived here so many years, but I just can't get used to the place. Nobody understands...

Kazuya, what happened? When did you change into those clothes?

Kazuya

Who are you...?

Why, I'm Ayako! Don't tell me you've forgotten me, Kazuya...!

Ayako

You're Ayako...

That's right. Denemon's wife. Ayako. You do remember me, don't you?

Say, Kazuya, did you go look in the basement for me yet?

Look

You know, like I asked you to a while ago...?

Basement

The basement...?

Yes. Was my husband's body really there, like Hachiya said?

Hachiya

Hachiya told me I shouldn't look at my husband's body...

My husband's body

Is his body in the basement?

Yes. Hachiya told me my husband‘s body was in the storeroom, in the basement...Kazuya, I still can't believe he's dead.

Last night, I was feeling dizzy again...The next thing I know. they were telling me he was dead...Is he really dead? Is it really true his body is in the basement?

What?

Kazuya, please help me...! There isn't anyone I can trust here...

Please help me

If things go on like this, I'll go crazy...!

Anybody I can trust

There isn't anyone you can trust...?

Everybody in this mansion hates me. They think everything is my fault. They don't know the truth...

(The truth...? I wonder what she means...?)

They just don't know the truth...! If they only knew...

They

Everybody...except for you...

The truth (Divine Judgement)

(What is Ayako trying to say?)

That's right... Nobody knows what my husband's really like...

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 29, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Have all of the great director's children been away for a while? Just him, his wife, and the staff in the house?

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Glazius posted:

Have all of the great director's children been away for a while? Just him, his wife, and the staff in the house?

Yes, Denemon kicked his children, daughter-in-law and grandson out of the mansion three years ago. Only Ayako, Kikuyo, Hachiya, Matsunosuke and Denemon himself stayed.

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 24, 2017

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Video: Youko Yoshinodou.

I heard Father called you here. Now that this has happened, you must be very upset.

Your name is Youko?

That's right. I'm Hideo's wife, Youko.

Hideo...?

That’s right. Don't you know who he is? Hideo is the oldest son in the Yoshinodou family. We used to live in this mansion, too. But then, because of that woman...

This mansion

When we were living here. I was happy. I came here when Hideo and I got married, and Hideya was born here.

Here

Father bought all of the furnishings in this mansion from abroad. Everything's so valuable and beautiful. I love it all.

Got married

My husband and I have been married for ten years.

Hideya

My son, my only child. He's extremely shy with others, but he's very sweet with me. Hideya's in the Violet Room. Why don’t you go in and say hello to him?

The Violet Room

That's the room at the back of the first floor annex.

Back to the first topic.

That woman

That woman...?

Ayako, of course. Father started acting strange after he married Ayako. Now I really think what Takako said that time was true.

Father

Father is a frightening person. Nobody dares go against him. That‘s what I always thought when we lived here...

Acting strange

He started avoiding people and wouldn‘t talk. He changed into a completely different person.

Married

Ayako married Father when he was old enough to be her own father...She's after his fortune.

Ayako

Ayako closes herself off from everybody else here. I never know what she's thinking. I just don't understand her at all.

What Takako said

Die like her mother did...?

Yes, that's exactly what she said. When Father heard that, he went pale and got very quiet. I don't know why Takako said a thing like that. But now Father is dead, just like Takako said would happen...

That time

When Father gathered the family and us he was going to marry Ayako.

My goodness, we really got to talking, didn't we?

Before we go see Hideya, I make a quick detour to the Study.

Some characters have diaries that you can find by checking certain bookcases in the mansion. More diaries become available as you progress through the story. Diaries also accumulate, so you don't have to worry about repeatedly checking the bookcases every hour. I'll show off any new diaries at the end of each chapter.

The door at the end of the corridor leads to the garden, the further room is the Violet Room. The closer room is the Magnolia Room, and the room on the right is the Thistle Room, where Hideo and Youko reside, which seems to be at odds with Kikuyo's earlier statement about Denemon's children all having rooms on the second floor.

Video: Hideya Yoshinodou.

Takashi's not that comfortable with lying.

What's your name?

Don't feel like talking, huh?

Oh! A tangram. So, you like puzzles, huh?

Uh-huh.

Shall we try it together?

You don't have to solve the tangram, the game will continue if you just select quit.

You did it!

Oh, so you can talk!

Well...

That's okay. You don't have to talk if you don't want to. Let's play again sometime, okay?

Okay.

Grandpa

Grandpa died, huh...

What was your grandfather like?

Everybody said Grandpa was scary...He was always nice to me, though.

Oh, really?

And Grandpa loved wine.

Grandpa

Grandpa hurt his face. That’s why he wore a mask. But I wasn't afraid.

Wine

Your grandfather loved wine?

Yeah. There's lots of wine down in the wine cellar. Grandpa collected it.

Wine

I've never had wine. Is it good?

Wine Cellar

The wine cellar...?

Yeah, in the basement of this mansion.

Basement

How do you get to the basement?

From the kitchen at the back on the first floor. But the door to the back hallway that leads to the kitchen is always locked.

Back Hallway

The back hallway door is on the back landing, where the back staircase is.

Where's the key for the door to the back hallway?

Hmm...I don't really know...But I bet Kikuyo knows!

Let's play again sometime, okay?

Okay. See you!

Video: Hideo Yoshinodou.

I'm Hideo Yoshinodou! Remember that!

Hideo Yoshinodou

You're Hideo...

That‘s right. I'm Hideo. The oldest son. Now that my father, Denemon, has died, I’m the head of the Yoshinodou family.

There‘s a police detective here, investigating Father's cause of death. But the matter will all be settled soon.

Police Detective

A mannerless man named Ihara. I can't wait until both of you leave this mansion!

Investigating

Poking around in other people’s business! It's so vulgar!

Cause of death

Who do you suppose put the poison in the wine?

Who? What the hell are you talking about?

Let’s get one thing straight. My father committed suicide. Enough of these ridiculous theories!

Suicide

My father had been depressed and was holed up in this mansion for years. It's not so unlikely he‘d commit suicide...

Ridiculous theories

Ridiculous theories...?

You're sure Denemon wasn't murdered?

Enough! My father committed suicide, and that‘s the end of it!

My father-- But what the hell would you know anyway, showing up all of a sudden?

(Why is Hideo getting so upset? Is he hiding something about Denemon...?)

I’m not discussing my father with you any more!

My father

Why don't you want to talk about him?

What could you possibly understand about my father and me?!

(What did this man think of his father, I wonder...)

I'm tired of even thinking about it! I refuse to discuss my father with you!

Back out into the Main Hall.

Kaidou is waiting for you in the Poppy Room.

Kaidou

I suppose he has something to talk to you about.

The Poppy Room

Where is the Poppy Room?

The Poppy Room is on the second floor. It's next to the Iris Room.

Kikuyo leaves.

Sorry about that business before. I wanted to have a chance to talk to you.

As always, mind reading before chatting.

What...?

This mansion is fabulously beautiful, but it somehow seems filled with gloom. Don't you agree?

Fabulously beautiful

Denemon was a great admirer of the art nouveau style. They say he called in architects from France when he built this place.

Gloom

Filled with gloom...?

When I got engaged to Kanae and first visited the mansion I thought to myself: ”I bet I'd end up half-dead if I had to live in this place...!”

Got engaged

Kanae's big brother, Hideo, was the one who introduced Kanae to me.

Kanae

Kanae is always comparing herself to Takako.

End up

This house is steeped in nothingness. It stops people looking to the future. Maybe the place really is possessed by vengeful spirits, just like people say.

Possessed by vengeful spirits...?

Yes, by the spirits of Hisako and Yurie, two unhappy women...

Two unhappy women

Denemon Yoshinodou was married three times--he lost his first two wives.

Hisako

Hisako was Denemon's first wife, Hideo and Takako's mother. Hisako was the actress that gave New World Cinema its start, but then she died unexpectedly when Takako was three years old.

Hideo

Hideo is eager to produce talking films. I think New World Cinema has really changed since Hideo became president.

Takako

Takako is a beautiful woman. But I could never love beauty that is only skin-deep.

Died unexpectedly

Apparently, talking about Hisako is taboo in this house, maybe because Takako doesn't like it...

New World Cinema

New World Cinema got its start when Denemon, who was working for a camera shop in Asakusa at the time, made some news reels covering the Boxer Uprising. He got started in the film industry at its inception, and he must've done some things he wasn't proud of to take his company this far.

(Some things he wasn't proud of...? Does this man know what Denemon did?)

Yeah. Denemon Yoshinodou must've done some pretty awful things in his life...

Pretty awful things

Some pretty awful things? Like what kind of things?

You want to know? You're probably better off not knowing. Heh heh heh.

(What were those "pretty awful things"...?)

Denemon is your father. You never got to see him alive again. What happened in his life? Maybe you could poke around this mansion and find out. Heh heh.

Back to the “End up” topic.

Yurie

Yurie was Denemon‘s second wife. Kanae and Marie‘s mother. I hear she died when Kanae was eight years old. Kanae won't talk about how Yurie died.

Marie

Marie is quiet. Goes to a girls' school. She never looks at me or talks to me.

Eight years old

Kanae doesn't like to talk about the past. It must've been hard for her...

How Yurie died

I suppose Kanae will tell me someday. I don't want to force it out of her.

I'm glad we had a chance to talk.

And with that, Kaidou leaves, and the game gives the “it's time to investigate this room” pan around.

The Poppy Room.

Before investigating, I pick up Takako's second diary.

The picture.

The display case.

The dressing table.

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 29, 2017

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
This is really intriguing so far! I am a fan of Cing's other works, Hotel Dusk and The Last Window, and this is shaping up to be a similar caliber mystery!

Although, a bit more stilted in the dialog than their later games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I love old idiosyncratic games like this, it reminds me of Shadow of Memories :allears:. Looking forward to seeing how it goes. My theory for the murderer is Professor Plum, in the Study, with the Poison. Though Colonel Mustard is often the safe bet...

Glaive17 posted:

This is really intriguing so far! I am a fan of Cing's other works, Hotel Dusk and The Last Window, and this is shaping up to be a similar caliber mystery!

Although, a bit more stilted in the dialog than their later games.

Part of that's probably down to the localization being done gently caress-knows-where in Europe rather than in the US (it only got released in Japan and Europe).

Also Emi really shouldn't have had that cheap gas station Burrito for lunch. No wonder she wanted to get away from Takashi.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Video: Tsuyako Sawamatsu.

Kiyohiko

Kiyohiko?

Yes. Kiyohiko Yoshikawa, the movie director.

You mean the Mr. Yoshikawa engaged to Takako, right?

How many film directors called Kiyohiko Yoshikawa do you know in 1929, Takashi?

What?! Kiyohiko is engaged to Takako?! When in the world did that happen...?! I never heard about that!

Yes, well, I don't know...

Forget it. I'll ask Kiyohiko about it myself later. By the way, who are you? I'm Tsuyako Sawamatsu. You know who I am, right?

Who

Kazuya Nanase? Oh, right! You must be the chairman's illegitimate child that police detective who stopped me was talking about.

Kazuya Nanase

Nanase... Hmm, I've heard that name somewhere before...Oh, well, never mind.

Illegitimate child

I wonder if you're the only illegitimate child the chairman has?

Police detective

Have you met Detective Ihara?

That Ihara man stopped me in the entrance hall. What a rude man he was! Why do detectives always have to speak so impolitely, I wonder? That detective's in the Bellflower Room now. This is so extraordinary, the police coming here and investigating!

Didn't the chairman commit suicide?

The police

I don't know any policemen! I've never even talked to a detective before!

Suicide

That's what I heard. Kiyohiko told me.

Back to the Kiyohiko topic.

Tsuyako Sawamatsu

Tsuyako Sawamatsu...?

What's with that blank look? Tee hee! That's all right. I understand. Everybody has a hard time believing it at first. But don‘t worry. This isn't a dream. Yes, that's right. The person before you now is the real Tsuyako Sawamatsu, the star actress of New World Cinema!

Star actress

Is it your first time seeing such a star up close? I’m sorry. I'm afraid I never shake hands. I could give you my autograph later, though.

New World Cinema

Yes, I'm under exclusive contract right now to New World Cinema. I owe all my fame as an actress to the chairman. That‘s why I signed the contract with New World Cinema, as a kind of thank you to the chairman. Now that the chairman is dead, maybe I‘d better rethink that choice...

Chairman

When I heard the chairman was dead, I thought to myself: ”I had a feeling something like this would happen someday...”

Something like this

Something like this...?

Yes, that the chairman might commit suicide. Ever since the chairman kicked out Hideo and the others and shut himself up in this mansion...I thought this would happen. Even Takako probably thought so.

Hideo and the others

He must've had a reason for suddenly kicking out his own children, but I hear neither Hideo nor any of the others know what that reason is.

Takako

Takako thought so, too...?

Yes, well, she either probably thought so, or...I bet she hoped it would happen...

What?! She hoped it would happen?

Why are you so surprised? Even though Takako become an actress riding on her father's coattails, I bet he was just an obstacle to her in the end...

An actress

I plan on being an actress whose name will go down in history!

Father's coattails

Why should she get to play the leading roles, just because she's Denemon Yoshinodou's daughter?

Obstacle

Her father said he was going to call off the filming of "Dolls," the movie Takako was going to star in. I heard he was against Takako becoming an actress in the first place. And he knew Takako could never handle the leading role of a talkie. He kicked her out of the mansion and was going to ruin her acting career. I bet she wished he would just disappear!

That shiny object in the corner is a heart fragment.

Hachiya looks a little odd.

Hachiya leaves.

Emi shows up again to lead Takashi to the Butler's Pantry this time.

Kikuyo responds to Takashi talking about what is apparently an non-existent person almost the same way as Hachiya; though at least she doesn't go as far as to lock Takashi in a room for it.

What?!

Kazuya...

Somewhat understandably Kikuyo isn't too happy about Takashis' presence.

I swear you looked just like Madam, standing there in a trance! I'm worried about you...

Kazuya

When you arrived at the mansion. I'm afraid I was out on an errand. I apologize for not greeting you at the door.

Vision

Some silly people actually claim they've seen vengeful spirits at the Yoshinodou mansion! Ridiculous! Kazuya, don't you dare tell anyone in the outside world that you've seen things here, have you got that?

In a trance

You‘ve met Madam. I'm sure you saw what she's like for yourself.

Madam

Madam hardly ever comes out of her room. She's in there lost in thought all day. Mr. Yoshinodou never said a word, but she never carried out her duties as Madam of the house. The only thing she ever did for Mr. Yoshinodou was bring him his wine in the study every night.

She

Actually, I don't really like calling Madam Yoshinodou ”Madam.” you know...

Mr. Yoshinodou

Mr. Yoshinodou never said anything, but I knew just how he felt...

You knew how he felt?

Yes, I'm sure Mr. Yoshinodou was thinking...how he wished Madam Yurie were still alive...

He wished Madam Yurie were still alive...?

Yes, Mr. Yoshinodou's second wife, Kanae and Marie’s mother. I'm sure Mr. Yoshinodou regretted marrying Ayako. The only wife Mr. Yoshinodou ever truly loved was Madam Yurie, you see.

Mr. Yoshinodou

Now I think If only I had better understood how Mr. Yoshinodou felt...I could have saved him...

Marrying

All of Mr. Yoshinodou's misfortunes began when he married that woman. I truly believe that.

Back to the Madam topic.

Wine

Whenever Mr. Yoshinodou went abroad, he always brought back a great deal of foreign wine with him.

Many of his favorite wines are kept in the wine cellar. We always keep the door locked for security. Mr. Yoshinodou became interested in fine wine after marrying Madam Yurie. Madam Yurie was a connoisseur of wine, you see.

Yurie

How did Yurie die?

What? Kazuya...What makes you ask about such a thing...?

(It doesn‘t look like she wants to talk about Yurie. Why does she say ”such a thing"? I wonder what happened...?)

Such a thing

Why do you say “such a thing”? What happened?

Madam Yurie... No, never mind.

(What did she mean by ”such a thing”? What happened?)

It was all very long ago. None of it has anything to do with you. Madam Yurie was a wonderful wife, and that's all I have to say about it.

Kazuya, if you really are Mr. Yoshinodou's son, then I ask you to please stop asking questions about him and this mansion.

Takashi leaves.

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 29, 2017

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Takashi of course, can't allow the opportunity to look through a keyhole pass him up.

What are you doing here?

Well! What a thing to say to me! Takako's just using you, you know. You know what she did to land the leading role in “Dolls”, don't you?

Stop talking like that!

Oh, Kazuya. This is the actress Tsuako Sawamatsu. She came when she heard the sad news about the chairman.

Hello.

Tsuyako is pleased to see Takashi; Kiyohiko, not so much.

You and Kazuya have already talked...?

That's right. We were saying all kinds of things about Takako.

All kinds of things

That's right. We said all kinds of things about her...Didn‘t we, Kazuya?

Takako

I let Kazuya here know just exactly what kind of person our dear Takako is.

What did you say?!

Tee hee! Don't worry. I didn't tell him anything that would compromise Takako.

(Compromise Takako...? I wonder what Tsuyako means?)

Right, Kazuya? I didn't say anything that would compromise Takako, now, did I? Tee hee!

Didn't say anything

Oh, Kiyohiko! You worry too much. My lips aren‘t that loose.

Compromise

What do you mean, “anything that would compromise Takako”?

You don't need to know any of that! Do you really want to know?

(What do she mean, “anything that would compromise Takako”?)

Hmph. What could possibly compromise a girl like Takako? Tee hee!

Tsuyako and I are talking about something important. If you want to chat, can we do it later?

Off to the Orchid Room.

The Orchid Room.

The dressing table.

I'm feeling a little better, thank you. I've never felt this way before. I don't know what's wrong with me.

Felt this way

Felt what way...?

Everything I see makes me remember the past. I feel so overwrought...

The past

The past...?

Yes, about Father, and about Mother...

(What does Takako remember about her mother and father?)

...Yes. I start remembering about Father, and about Mother...

Mother

About your mother...?

...Yes, about Mother, too...And here I'd put it out of my mind for so long! Oh, what am I going to do?

Takako, are you all right?

Oh, yes...

Father

...Yes, about Father...It was all such a long time ago. Why am I remembering now? Oh, I've got such a splitting headache!

(What does Takako remember about her father?)

Oh...!

Are you okay?

Kazuya, I just don't understand it! Why did Father...?

Father

Why did Father summon you here? He must've wanted to talk to you about something...

I, I don't know why...

Look at me. What am I blathering on about? You seem to have that effect on me. Whenever I talk to you, I feel more and more anxious for some reason...

Need to go to the Hydrangea Room now.

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 29, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...I find it weird that our protagonist is all "how can I find out when they're thinking" when we have literally read people's minds already.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

I recommend that you watch the videos in this update.

Oh, you. Have you seen Takako?

No.

I haven't seen her for a while. I looked all over the second floor, but I can't find her anywhere. Where could she have gone? I haven't searched the whole first floor yet...I wonder if she could be somewhere around the butler's pantry?

This is the key to the Back Hallway Takashi and Hideya were discussing earlier.

This is the door to the Back Hallway; apart from the Kitchen, the Storeroom, Servant's Washroom and Servant's Dining Room are also found along there.

This is the door to the Kitchen.

Takashi automatically picks this note up as soon as he enters the Kitchen for the first time.

Going straight ahead leads to the entrance to the wine cellar.

The Wine Cellar.

The table.

The wine rack.

The door.

Video: The Food Storeroom.

The Food Storeroom.

The stain on the floor.

The table.

Video: Denemon Yoshinodou.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I was wondering if you could splice together videos when they come right after another? Having to click on multiple links for concurrent events isn't really helping with immersion.
Love the LP otherwise though!

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I have the feeling "I spent the past hour flipping out and hallucinating in the next room over and only just found her" is not going to be a great alibi.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Thesaya posted:

I was wondering if you could splice together videos when they come right after another? Having to click on multiple links for concurrent events isn't really helping with immersion.

Seconding this. I meant to say this the first time it happened.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Thesaya posted:

Son Ryo posted:

Seconding this. I meant to say this the first time it happened.

I had a go at splicing the videos and added them into the previous updates; let me know if you have any comments or suggestions. :)

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Now that chapter one is finished, as promised earlier; the current status of the notebook, and the solution to the Denemon's Notes puzzle.

Denemon's Notes solution:

This one is fairly simple; just need to check the pictures in the Orchid, Poppy and Bellflower Rooms.

Notebook.

Map:

Showing the map more for anyone that might have been curious about what the map looked like; please let me know if you'd like to see the full map.

People:

Evidence:

Documents:

Ayako's diary:

Takako's diary:

Journal:

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Mar 19, 2017

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

HydroSphere posted:

I had a go at splicing the videos and added them into the previous updates; let me know if you have any comments or suggestions. :)

This is so much better, thank you for your effort!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh lord. That's one way to try to end things. Weird how the fire didn't seem to have any origin on the other side of the door given that the oil slick looks like it came from there.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Video: A grim gathering.

Takako apparently drank poisoned wine down in the cell, and died.

She probably killed herself because of the chairman's death. He was her support, you know. I heard she was acting weird after he died. Isn't that right, Kiyohiko?

What the hell are you talking about?

Ayako isn't here! What could she be doing?

Madam doesn't feel well. She's resting in the Rose Room. I tried calling to her, but she won't come out.

Maybe there's a reason why Ayako can't come and face us...

Terrible! First this tragedy befalls Mr. Yoshinodou, and now Takako!

I know we are all shaken from the events since yesterday...but I hope we will all cooperate with Detective Ihara's investigation fully, so that we can bring this situation under control as quickly as possible.

I'm sure you realise this, but none of you can leave the mansion until the investigation is over. Anyone trying to leave will be considered a prime suspect.

I'll be examining the crime scene now. And starting tomorrow morning, I'll be interviewing each one of you. Until then, go back to your rooms and stay there.

Takako Yoshinodou was murdered. But by whom?

Takako's body wasn't there before I got caught in the storeroom....Where was Takako really killed...?

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

It's nothing...Just hurry up and get back to your room.

This is scary!

Emi!

Takashi...What are we going to do? How can we get back now?

Emi walks through the door to the bathroom and disappears.

This door leads to the Washroom; I'm showing it off here because I don't think you ever actually need to go in there during the story.

Not really much to see in here.

This door leads to the Side Hallway.

Video: A lost necklace.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I was not expecting the tub to light up like that when he tucked the lantern underneath the lip.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Video: A nightmare born from bad memories.

Next update will be a bit longer.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Were those all our horrible memories? Or is there a chance some of them might be from the guy who everyone thinks we actually are?

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Video: Marie playing the piano.

Kanae. :stare:

I don't know what's wrong with her!

Piano

It's your piano...?

That's right. This is my piano.

What?

What, you didn't hear, Marie? Father said he'd give it to me.

No way...

Just remember! This piano is going to be mine! So don't go touching it with those filthy hands of yours, you understand?

(“Filthy hands”...? Why would Kanae say that to Marie... ?)

Father promised me, Marie. He said this piano would be my wedding present when Kaidou and I got married. So keep your tainted hands off my piano!

Marie

I’ve hardly soon Marie since we left the mansion, but she's just the same as ever—a nasty little thing!

Kaidou

I'm marrying Kaidou and we're going to be very happy together!

Got married

Father was glad I was getting married. He gave us his blessing.

Father

Father loved our mother more than anyone else. That‘s why he put this piano in the Great Hall, so he could always remember.

Anyone else

That's right. More than Ayako, too.

Back to the Piano topic.

Your tainted hands

”Tainted hands”...? Why do you say that?

Hmmm... Now what could I mean, I wonder...?

Mean

Why don't you ask Marie?

Back to the start of the conversation.

Marie

Marie thinks she's better at playing the piano than I am!

Takako's dead and everybody's upset, but does she care? Here she is, making such a racket at the crack of dawn! Honestly!

Takako

I just can't believe Takako is dead...I can't stand to think about it!

Everybody

Everybody‘s grieving except Ayako.

Honestly

Marie always acts like this! She doesn't care how other people feel.

Racket

What piece was she playing?

Mother's favorite Chopin Etude. Mother always played that piece whenever Father was away from home. And she always wore such a sad expression...

Away from home

Father was often away on business. Sometimes, he wouldn't come home for a long time.

Expression

Mother was a beautiful woman, but she always looked so sad.

Mother

If Mother had lived, Father would never have changed! If only Mother had lived, these horrible things wouldn't be happening right now!

Kanae...

It's your fault Marie! It's your fault about Mother!

Kanae storms off, leaving Takashi free to talk to Marie.

Yes...Kanae is just upset about what happened to my other sister, Takako. All I have to do is wait it out...

Takako

I never saw Takako once after we left this mansion. We hadn't even talked yet...

Mansion

Takako and I didn't talk much, even when we were all living here together.

Back to the first topic.

Kanae

Kanae has hated me for a long time...

Me

Kanae gets mad at me for every single thing I do.

For a long time

For a long time...?

Yeah, ever since Mother died... No, I guess even before that...

Before that

Ever since I was a baby...

Mother

I always loved Mother best when she was playing the piano.

When she was playing the piano?

Mother always had the kindest expression when she was playing the piano. When I heard her play, I could forget everything else.

(Forget everything else? I wonder what she wanted to forget?)

The only thing I remember about Mother now is her sitting at the piano with that kind expression. I forgot everything else...

Mother

I don't remember anything about...when she died...

Expression

Father once told me that I was starting to look like Mother...

Everything else

Marie, what did you mean by “I forgot everything else”?

I meant—No, never mind. Just forget I said it, okay?

(What did Marie mean by “everything else”?)

Just...forget I said it, okay? I don't have anything else to say...about Mother..

Piano

When I touch this piano, I feel like Mother is right here...I wonder how Father felt when he looked at this piano...?

How Father felt

Father never once told me how he felt, about anything...

This piano

If Kanae takes this piano away, I'll never be able to play it again...

Father

Kazuya, Father's really dead, isn't he...?

What...? Why do you ask that, Marie?

Because I...I...saw something...

What did you see?

As soon as Youko approaches, Marie gets up from the piano and leaves.

My, Marie really seems to be opening up to you! What were you talking about?

Marie

She's usually quiet and keeps to herself, but it looks like she can really talk to you.

Opening up

The two of you seem so friendly with each other.

Talking about

You want to know what Marie and I were talking about?

Oh. my. You don't have to look so angry...Goodness, I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to be nosy. I was just curious, that's all. It’s none of my business if you were having a friendly talk with Marie...

Yokou backs away.

What, you want to talk to me...?

Yes, please.

I suppose you want to ask about Marie. Am I right?

Marie

Yes, that's right.

Well, you're certainly direct.

Marie is always by herself. She seems kind of lonely.

That's how you see it? I’m not really sure. Marie is hard for me to understand. Even when we were all living together, Marie never opened up to me at all. The funny thing is, I got along so well with Takako and Kanae...

Never opened up

She was always so withdrawn. She never warmed up to me at all.

Marie

Don't tell me...Was Marie saying something again...? Those crazy stories of hers...?

Those crazy stories

Those crazy stories...?

Yes. I bet she told you some wild story about seeing a ghost, right?

What?

I hate to say this, but Marie... likes to make things up...I suppose she's trying to get people's attention because she's lonely...

Going back to the Marie topic.

Kanae

Kanae wanted to be an actress, too, I hear, just like Takako. But Father was very against it, so she gave up her dreams...

Was very against it

I hear Father said to Kanae flatly, “You'd never make it”.

And back to the Marie topic once again.

Takako

I'm in shock about what happened to Takako. I wonder if she really did commit suicide, like Tsuyako said.

Suicide

Both Father and Takako, committing suicide! I can't believe it...Then again, now that I think about it...

Now that you think about it...?

Actually...and you can't tell anyone I told you this! Actually, Kanae's and Marie's mother, Yurie...

I heard it was when Father was abroad on military business...

Suicide

My husband was a student and away living in a dormitory at the time. He says he doesn't know exactly what was going on with Yurie in those days.

Business

In the recent Great War, Father was producing films in China at the military's request. He lived in China for two years when Marie was little. I hear Yurie died during that time.

Yurie

I don't know very much about Yurie. But the year after Hisako died......Father got remarried right away, to Yurie, a new actress at the time.

It seems like he had a good time. If you feel like it, why don't you come back and play with him again this afternoon?

Youko leaves.

Takashi glances around before picking the mask up.

Video: The second glass jigsaw puzzle piece.

Denemon's mask...One appears whenever I hear that voice out of nowhere...And then it changes into a glass puzzle piece...What is going on...?

Where did that scar on Marie's forehead come from?

And what was that I saw from the piano...?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, haunted dolls filled with the spite of children. That's much better!

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

HydroSphere posted:

[timg]http://lpix.org/2696561/Takashi.png[/IMG ]And what was that I saw from the piano...?[/i]

broken link right at the end there.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

No matter what happens to Takashi I will always see him with his shocked face being attacked by a gardener.

How easy is it to find butterflies to refill mind points?

Is Emi Katagiri just some random person who found Takashi since he wrote an article?

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Glaive17 posted:

broken link right at the end there.

Fixed. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

Hypocrisy posted:

How easy is it to find butterflies to refill mind points?

Butterflies randomly appear (with a sound effect to alert you to a butterflies presence) sometimes when Takashi moves into a new screen. I think the lower Takashi's mind points are, the higher the chance of a butterfly appearing.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Before going into the Bellflower Room, I make a quick detour to pick up one of Denemon's diaries.

I wonder what the story is behind it...

Sound of a door being unlocked.

Ihara

Mr. Ihara was looking for me?

Yes, that's right.

Where is Mr. Ihara now?

One of his men came just a little while ago, and they went out into the south garden together.

One of his men

He came this morning to see Detective Ihara.

The south garden

The south garden? Where's that?

The garden through the Great Hall's terrace door is the south garden, sir. Mr. Yoshinodou often used to take walks there. He said that garden brought back memories of Hisako.

This mansion's gardens are pretty big, aren't they?

The mansion has three separate gardens, sir.

Three gardens?

Yes. The garden off of the terraces has always been known as “the south garden.” The one off the front entrance is “the east garden.” And the one off the rear entrance is called “the north garden”, sir.

Kazuya...

What? You mean walk around the gardens?

Detective Ihara told us not to go wandering about, but...

I'll unlock the doors to the gardens for you later. I really do recommend a stroll around sometime this morning. However...If you do go out into the gardens, please be careful not to do anything suspicious.

Even though there's a door from the Bellflower Room to the garden, we have to go out via the doors in the Main Hall.

Video: Koutarou Katagiri.

This is Koutarou Katagiri. He'll be helping me with the investigation.

What?! Koutarou Katagiri?!

Something the matter?

Uh, nothing...

Katagiri's chatty.

Out for a morning stroll, eh? I don't want you wandering around, you know.

Another body...?

I just think we haven't seen the end of dead bodies around here, that's all.

Is that why you asked this man here?

That's right. This is a man I can depend on. I'm sure Koutarou Katagiri here will really help out with the investigation.

The investigation

Takako's body has already been brought to the station – along with Denemon's. We should get the results of the autopsy by tonight.

Koutarou Katagiri

Koutarou...Katagiri....?

Katagiri is one of my men. What's the matter...? Katagiri got something on his face or something? What are you staring at? You sure are a strange guy...

Let's try talking to Katagiri again.

So you're Kazuya Nanase, huh?

Kazuya Nanase

Mr. Katagiri, I'm...

…..

Uh, okay.

The cat from Marie's room shows up again by this statue.

Takashi's just kind of standing around in a daze after Katagiri's departure.

There's not very much to this garden. Going either left or right leads to the statue. The right set of doors in front of Takashi lead to the Great Hall, the left set to the Dining Room.

Looking at the flowers at the base of the statue.

At this point, I can't remember where you need to go next; luckily, Glass Rose has a hint system.

Head over to the Violet Room.

Help Hideya with another Tangram.

And you'll get a hint as to where you need to go next.

You can get hints (provided you can solve a random Tangram) just about any time Takashi can get into the Violet Room. Hideya does not need to be present; Takashi will get a mental image of where he needs to go if you solve a Tangram when Hideya isn't around. If you get a Tangram you can't solve, you can just choose to quit, then check the Tangrams/talk to Hideya again to get a different puzzle.

Head down from the Entrance Hall.

Into the Vestibule.

Out the door into the east garden.

Where Takashi immediately pounces on Kaidou.

Oh, I'm just looking for something.

Looking for something? What are you looking for?

My fountain pen. It's really important to me...

Your fountain pen?

I think I might've dropped it when I got out of the car. I've looked all around here, but I can't seem to find it.

The pen is under the front tire of the car.

(Hey, the fountain pen's under the car, near the tire!)

Oh, you found it?

Kaidou takes the pen from Takashi.

Thanks...

So that's where it was, huh? When Kanae and I got engaged and I visited this mansion, Denemon gave this fountain pen to me.

Kaidou leaves with a wave. He seems to have changed his tune a bit.

Like the south garden, there are two paths you can take in the east garden, downwards and right, but both lead to the same place. Nothing left to do in the east garden, so we set off to the north garden.

The north garden is accessed via the door at the end of the annex.

The north garden is slightly larger than the south and east gardens.

There's only one path in the north garden from the annex.

The path takes you past a well, past the gardener's room and door leading to the rear vestibule, and ends in a couple of chairs and a statue. Need to go to the gardener's room here.

And look at the rake which Matsunosuke attacked Takashi with.

I-I'm sorry... I didn't know it was yours...

This is my room! Get out!

My room

This is your room, Matsunosuke?

Matsunosuke...? How the hell you know my name?

Detective Ihara told me.

The detective told you, eh? I suppose he was telling lies about me!

No, not at all...!

I don't trust that Ihara fellow – or you, neither! Now get yourself out of my room!

Matsunosuke, I’d like to speak to you a minute, if you wouldn’t mind, sir!

“If you wouldn't mind, sir...”?

Huh? I don't know what...

I knew you were a suspicious one!

A suspicious one

No, there's nothing suspicious about me! Really!

Can't fool me! You‘re as suspicious as they come!

What?!

That's right. I know!

I've seen you any number of times!

Yesterday

Yesterday wasn't the first time?

You heard me.

What? But what do you mean?!

Don't pretend like you don't know. I know all about it! I should've taken care of you yesterday! Then Miss Takako would still be alive. Everything‘s gone to hell since you got here!

Takako

Miss Takako was just like Mr. Yoshinodou. I don't mean the way she looked. Personality, I mean.

Back to the “A suspicious one” topic.

Mansion

I've been working at this mansion since before Miss Marie was born. Seen everything about Mr. Yoshinodou and the family with my own eyes. I know everything that goes on at this mansion!

This mansion

Mr. Yoshinodou called in architects from France to build this mansion! Its style is in the “arnew...” What was it called...? Oh, yeah! The ”arnew vo' style, some fancy imported way of building. Bet you're impressed now, eh?

The family

Mr. Yoshinodou never said too much, but he really cared about his family. I'm sure of that.

Miss Marie

Don't you dare do anything to hurt Miss Marie, you hear me? Miss Marie is a sweet girl. She's so nice, she gets hurt a lot...

Mr. Yoshinodou

Mr. Yoshinodou wanted to live out the rest of his life here in peace. But then you show up, and now look what happened...!

What happened...?

That's right! All those people with their evil plans, gathered together here at the mansion! They're all after the fortune Mr. Yoshinodou built up!

People with evil plans?

You heard me. And you're one of them! Just like those men!

(Those men...? Who does Matsunosuke think has evil plans, I wonder...?)

I'll protect Mr. Yoshinodou's fortune myself! I'm not letting those men get away with nothing!

Those men

Who do you mean by ”those men”?

You figure it out!

(Who are "those men”...?)

Well...Oh...nothing. I shouldn't have said that. It's no business of yours. Just forget about it.

I never expected him to be a police detective, though. I wonder what relationship he and Ihara have to this case?

That marble statue of a woman in the south garden...The red flowers...I wonder what Denemon thought about when he walked through that garden...?

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Matsunosuke

For some reason, Mr. Yoshinodou was kind enough to let that man work at this mansion for a long time...But he's stubborn and very difficult to deal with...

Matsunosuke...didn't say...anything strange to you, did he...?

Matsunosuke

I hear Mr. Yoshinodou hired him just because the two of them are from the same village.

Anything strange

Anything strange...?

Please pay no attention to anything that man says!

Please don't pay any attention.

Kanae

About Kanae...?

No, never mind. If he didn't say anything about Kanae, then that‘s all right.

By the way, Kazuya...Why did you go down into the basement last night? Hachiya told me you went to the basement at Madam Yoshinodou's request...

Hachiya

Since Mr. Yoshinodou died, Hachiya seems to think he runs the entire household. It's just not right...

Basement

Choosing wine from the wine cellar is Madam Yoshinodou's responsibility, so I hardly ever go down into the basement, myself.

Madam Yoshinodou

Madam Yoshinodou is...Just remember what I told you.

Now if you'll excuse me. Please don't forget that Kiyohiko is waiting for you.

Kikuyo leaves.

This is the Rear Vestibule; the door behind Takashi leads to the north garden.

The door ahead leads to a Storage Room. Round the corner from the Storage Room is the Servants Lavatory. The door opposite leads to the Small Dining Room.

Denemon's Notes for chapter two can be found in the Hydrangea Room at this point.

Anyone want to take a guess at the solution? :)

Outside the Orchid Room.

But Hideo said he would do it!

The answer isn't going to change. The production of “Dolls” is off!

I don't understand you, Kiyohiko. You've finally become a real director. There's no need to give that up just because Takako is dead.

I don't care...anymore.

That doesn't sound like you.

Enough already! Just leave me alone.

Tsuyako leaves the Orchid Room.

Did you sleep well last night?

You didn't kill Takako, did you?

Takako

Me? Kill Takako?!

Don't worry. I'm just kidding. I don't really think you did it. Like I said last night, Takako committed suicide.

Last night

Last night, I simply said what everybody else wanted to say, but couldn't.

Suicide

Both the chairman and Takako committed suicide...It would be best for this family if they really were suicides, and not...

What she did

What she did...?

Takako was a very frightening person. Want me to tell you a little secret about Takako that nobody knows?

Frightening person

Seemingly refined ladies like Takako can do the scariest things without even giving it a second thought!

Nobody

I don't think anybody else in this mansion knows...But I saw it with my own eyes.

Secret

A secret about Takako?

Yes. I feel like I can tell you about it...Yes, the secret of what Takako did to get the leading role in “Dolls”...

Takako

I wonder why Takako wanted “Dolls” to be remade so badly?

”Dolls”

I heard the chairman was really against remaking “Dolls.”

What Takako did

What Takako did...?

There was one more person besides Takako vying for the leading role in “Dolls.” That actress already had experience in talking films, and she was fierce competition for Takako...

And I saw her! I saw Takako put something in that girl's glass!

That girl's glass

Yes, in the drink the girl had in the dressing room.

Something

Something in her glass?

Silver nitrate...?

It makes you lose your voice.

Tsuyako leaves.

What am I gonna do now...? Oh, Takako...

Kazuya, how can you be so calm? You‘re the one that found Takako's body, right?

Takako is... dead...There's no way Takako would've committed suicide...

Suicide

We were going to shoot a film together! Why would Takako kill herself?

Takako

So you don't think Takako had any reason to commit suicide, right?

That's right. Takako never would've done that. Except...

Except what...?

Ever since we arrived at this mansion...Ever since Takako came back to the mansion, she's been acting strange...Yes... ever since she saw those red flowers in the garden...

Acting strange

She'd suddenly get depressed, and seem to be thinking about something.

Red flowers

Ever since she saw those red flowers?

Yes... Takako saw some red amaryllises in the garden...And then...Takako looked at the amaryllises and said...”I think I remember... what happened that time...”

Amaryllises

They say Takako’s mother loved those flowers.

What happened

What happened that time...?

I don't know. But Takako said...”I've remembered something about Mother...something terrible...”

Something terrible

Something terrible...?

Yes. Takako told me...”Mother didn't die in any sudden accident."

What did she mean?

Takako said, ”When it happened, somebody was standing near her...”

”Somebody was standing near Mother, holding a knife...“

A knife

A knife...

Takako said... ”There was a knife sticking out of Mother’s chest...”

Somebody

Somebody...?

Takako remembered...When the chairman died and she came back to this mansion, her suppressed memories came back, too.

Memories

Her suppressed memories...?

Takako had partially lost her memory from the shock of seeing her mother die.

So Takako witnessed the very moment of Hisako‘s death...?

Yes, I believe so...And I think it all came back to her when she returned to the mansion.

(I wonder what exactly Takako remembered...?)

Yes... Takako remembered...When she came back to this mansion......I think everything came rushing back to her...

Everything

Mr. Yoshikawa, what do you think that ‘everything' was?

I don't know. I just don't know...But now that Takako's gone...I don't even care what it was anymore...

(What was this 'everything" that came rushing back to Takako...? What does Mr. Yoshikawa think Takako remembered?)

I think Takako came back here, saw the flowers in the garden, and then...saw all the things in the mansion that brought back memories of Hisako...and remembered everything...

And that’s why she left that compact--that compact that was always so important to her--on the dressing table, and wouldn‘t touch it again. I bet Takako saw Hisako...

No! I don't want to know any of it...Now that Takako's gone...I don't want to know, no matter what happened...

Takako was just a means to my success, but now that she's gone, I understand. It was just a cold calculation at first, but somewhere along the way I

I couldn't possibly film “Dolls” with any other actress except Takako...I'd better go tell Tsuyako.

Kiyohiko leaves, leaving Takashi free to check the compact.

(How did Takako feel when she looked at this...?)

Was Hisako murdered...? Or could Hisako's murderer be...? Maybe Takako was killed because she remembered who...?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, this place has some expansive gardens.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
This really needs a new page. It takes ages to load by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Posting for push to new page.

• Locked thread