Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

FTL was easily one of my favorite games ever made, I think I bought a copy for everyone on my friends list that didn't already have one. Subset Games have been working on a project since FTL came out. It looks like some sort of combination of FTL and fire emblem, set in a world being invaded by aliens.

You control mechs that can be upgraded, and have multiple pilots, the trailer shows some cool attack abilities and transforming terrain and TIME TRAVEL. I'm so excited about this game holy poo poo.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/590380/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJR1OpHNgzc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
http://i.imgur.com/LVVB0Rt.gifv
Get over here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awHepFu-YBk
Ben Prunty's doing the soundtrack!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

TacMan posted:

It looks like some sort of combination of FTL and fire emblem

:swoon:

FTL was amazing, they were going to get my money on their next game regardless of what it was, but this looks great.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

FTL was extremely good, so i'm excited.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
looks good

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've bounced off of every FE game I've played but I played the gently caress out of FTL so I will probably pick this up. Mechs are cool

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Fuckin FTL guys are making a tactical mech game with a loving alien invasion :swoon:

Holy poo poo it's like they wanted all my money and some genie gave them the power to learn how to most effectively get it.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
FTL was a very solid game, and though a bit RNG-dependent (gently caress legit getting the Crystal ship) well worth the tenbux. Gonna buy Into The Breach day one.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'm really excited for this!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yoooo this looks fuckin great

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Holy poo poo i had no idea they where making this. I loved FTL and still fire it up now and then. Definitely getting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
There's an interesting and surprisingly detailed preview up on Rock Paper Shotgun

One part that stood out to me is how and why things are deterministic:

quote:

Many strategy games conceal information, forcing the player to work with an incomplete picture, and most use an element of randomness when the poo poo hits the fan and the bullets hit their target. Into the Breach ditches dice rolls and deception, relying instead on the abilities of units and terrain features to create emergent tactical situations that create chain reactions and unexpected, though predictable, outcomes.

Ma’s reasoning for this approach is two-fold. First of all, it allows for detailed planning as a response to information rather than a stab in the dark. As in Invisible, Inc., expect to spend minutes figuring out the permutations of moves before committing to them, and trying to figure out where a positive outcome might lie in a seemingly hopeless situation. This is also about AI though.

“In most strategy games you’re trying to play against a fake player. We don’t like making AI and in this system [the Vek] don’t have to be clever. You can make them hit each other, walk into fires, and do other things that seem stupid, but that make sense within the tactical structure of the turns. It’s not reliant on random chance or complex AI.”

• Locked thread