Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Jonathan_Storm_(Earth-721)

Four issues apparently, two in '75, two in '95.

goatface fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

goatface posted:

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Jonathan_Storm_(Earth-721)

Four issues apparently, two in '75, two in '95.

What am I supposed to be gleaning here?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That he was in four issues, and he was an alternate Johnny Storm who someone dug up for some reason in the mid 90's.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
If I remember correctly, Blue Shield showed up every so often in Mark Gruenwald comics, where he was the security director of Project PEGASUS, and thus was the first person knocked out whenever something terrible happened. I think I own two comics with him in them and he's tormented by his own inadequacy in both of them.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Wanderer posted:

If I remember correctly, Blue Shield showed up every so often in Mark Gruenwald comics, where he was the security director of Project PEGASUS, and thus was the first person knocked out whenever something terrible happened. I think I own two comics with him in them and he's tormented by his own inadequacy in both of them.

Was he in the... I forget the mini, but it was all the cosmic heavy hitters, The Annihilators? You had Nova, Ronan, a Space Knight and I forget the rest, but that's when Wendell Vaughn came back most recently? It dealt with some stuff at Project PEGASUS and I want to say I remember Blue Shield from there.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Blue Shield is the head of security of a place that exists solely to either A) get experimental poo poo stolen from it to provide plots for other superheroes, or B) have experimental poo poo go haywire and cause massive threats to the world to provide plots for other superheroes.

Basically if he was good at his job there would be fewer comic book plots. The universe has placed Blue Shield in a position where failure is literally his reason for existence.

Honestly, I don't think we need to poo poo on him. His life sucks enough.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Well when he's doing his job well there's no reason to hear about him, and you don't see him very often, so he must not be that bad. :shobon:

TripleU
Jun 25, 2013

Soonmot posted:

Was he in the... I forget the mini, but it was all the cosmic heavy hitters, The Annihilators? You had Nova, Ronan, a Space Knight and I forget the rest, but that's when Wendell Vaughn came back most recently? It dealt with some stuff at Project PEGASUS and I want to say I remember Blue Shield from there.

I think that was the Abnett/Lanning Nova series. I think that's also where they showed Blue Shield had quit doing security for Project: Pegasus and the new head of security was Darkhawk. (I know it's actually P.E.G.A.S.U.S but that just looks weird to me.)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

joehonkie posted:

Yes, long term exposure to high powered stuff probably does cause genetic changes, but probably not "give you the same power" kind of genetic changes.

Oh. drat...

*takes vibrator out of pocket*

HitTheTargets posted:

When I was 14 or whatever and heard about Watchmen for the first time, I thought Dr. Manhattan's powers only worked in Manhattan.

Maybe Ellis thought the same thing as you and used that to create Jack Hawksmoor.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Time for this thread to make a comeback. And what better way to kick it off than with...

Day 71: Oddball

Street juggler and criminal extraordinaire! One of Hawkeye's deadliest (I dunno, maybe?) enemies! Oddball is a poorly conceived and designed character that pretty much just looks like a joke. Once Doc Ock asked Juggler Supreme to join the Masters of Evil, which shows the kind of leadership skills Doc Ock has. He's been dead for over a decade now it seems. I have no doubt there's an Oddball II out there somewhere just waiting in the wings to take up the mantle of a fallen icon.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
His costume and that shading gives him a bit of a ladycrotch

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Holy poo poo, I'm dying at "Death-Throws".

edit: "Other Accessories: Marbles"

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Current occupation:Juggler

Former occupation:Juggler

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

... spent uranium doesn't count as "more exotic contents"?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Kalli posted:

... spent uranium doesn't count as "more exotic contents"?

It's the Marvel Universe, you can probably pick that poo poo up at 7-11

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

VolticSurge posted:

Current occupation:Juggler

Former occupation:Juggler

Former Occupation: Street Juggler

He doesn't need to busk anymore.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oddball isn't the most... competent villain.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

X-O posted:

Well, his balls are color-coded, and given that he's willing to wear that costume I'm expecting some degree of colorblindness, so...

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

X-O posted:

I think I just found my first partner for Shocker in the Shocker series Marvel will totally give me the chance to write.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is spent uranium different to depleted uranium?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Are you telling me there was a group of villains themed around throwing things called THE DEATH-THROWS? And they weren't a one-off joke???

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Begemot posted:

Are you telling me there was a group of villains themed around throwing things called THE DEATH-THROWS? And they weren't a one-off joke???

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Mark Gruenwald was a complicated man.

Also, Crossfire hired the Death-Throws a couple of times, only to get tired of them and replace them with... the Death T.H.R.O.W.S. (Which weren't nearly as cool, but ten points for the callback.)

AND the Death-Throws took on a provisional member named Throwdown... on STILTS.

"Ever since she was a little girl, the woman who would become Throwdown wanted to become a juggling-themed super-villain."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Anyone who doesn't love the Death-Throws is dead to me.

I mean, look at those entries for Oddball and Bombshell. "Professional juggler turned criminal." "Professional criminal turned juggler."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They're all professional juggler turned criminal except for Bombshell. :allears:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Tell me Hawkeye gets out by climbing the telephone pole and none of them know how to deal with this.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That costume is balls, all right.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I love how they cover all the common juggling tropes: rings, balls, bowling pins, explosives, and "items of dissimilar sizes and weights" :allears:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
marvel hire me i have this great original idea for a dude who juggles flaming chainsaws

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

They're all professional juggler turned criminal except for Bombshell. :allears:

Oddball apparently had to teach her how to juggle to get a full lineup for his team. That's some ridiculous commitment to the gimmick which is actively detrimental to the team, as she already had a much more useful power (bomb expertise) that he's now telling her not to apply in any useful way.

Take thread-favourite 8-Ball, for instance. You can fit into his gimmick by just putting on a round helmet. 8-Ball could just give helmets to anyone - random unpowered goons, any of the Death Throws, the Sinister Six, Magneto, Galactus, anyone. But actually taking the time to teach someone to juggle explosives perfectly and saying "no, you learn this or you're off the team" is at best a waste of time.

RandallODim posted:

Tell me Hawkeye gets out by climbing the telephone pole and none of them know how to deal with this.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Oddball apparently had to teach her how to juggle to get a full lineup for his team. That's some ridiculous commitment to the gimmick which is actively detrimental to the team, as she already had a much more useful power (bomb expertise) that he's now telling her not to apply in any useful way.

Take thread-favourite 8-Ball, for instance. You can fit into his gimmick by just putting on a round helmet. 8-Ball could just give helmets to anyone - random unpowered goons, any of the Death Throws, the Sinister Six, Magneto, Galactus, anyone. But actually taking the time to teach someone to juggle explosives perfectly and saying "no, you learn this or you're off the team" is at best a waste of time.

Look, supervillainy is a crowded field. If you want to stand out, you want a memorable gimmick.

I mean, bomb expertise? Pfft, bomb experts are a dime a dozen in the Marvel underworld. But bomb experts who can juggle? Only one of those, my man.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

RandallODim posted:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gee, now i'm dying. thanks a lot.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I just went back and read Captain America 317 on Marvel Unlimited. It's worth it.

They're masters of juggling. And they can do it for 21 minutes without messing up. Impressive.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
The Death-Throws' leader is Ringleader. To me, that's the silliest thing out of all this.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

He just drops an arrow on them. He just does the one thing that couldn't ever be considered throwing. And that defeats them.

Respectable dedication to a gimmick, that's for sure.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

When I become a famous comic writer, the Death Throws will be my Kite Man.

Hell yeah!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Can you imagine being an expert in explosives and getting assigned to the crime team with 4 jugglers. And you have no clue how to juggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Light Gun Man posted:

marvel hire me i have this great original idea for a dude who juggles flaming chainsaws

On dark nights such as this, if you listen real quiet, you can just barely hear Jason Aaron kicking himself for not using this idea in his Ghost Rider run.

• Locked thread