Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

Day 9: Manslaughter

Sorry, I don't have much to add on this one either as I'm not really familiar with him at all. He looks pretty goofy though.

Jesus Christ it's like if you put all the worst X-related designs in a blender and skimmed the scum off the top, that guy'd be the scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kalli posted:

Feel real bad for whichever sidepiece is on wiping duty.

God, just imagine trying to get those boots on him.

When Bucky was briefly Captain America, there was a Razor Fist storyline that showed that he has a weird fetish for having people take care of him, hence why he chopped off his arms like an idiot, and he had child slaves dressing him.

Yay, comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Drawing complicated aliens is a huge pain in the rear end, drawing a purple guy with a mohawk is easy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

The Celestials are the best thing. Giant space gods make any story better.

I wish people would stop killing them and other cosmic gods off.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Isn't that why spider-man was fighting Firelord that one time? Because the robot Air-Walker exploded near him and Firelord got mad? Or am I getting my Firelord fights confused.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The serpent society is such a poo poo idea for a villain group. "Oh, we have a bunch of boring snake themed villains because snake=evil is a really simple concept. They should team up and never ever go away." They don't even have shared goals or anything, they just all had the same uninspired idea for a costume/codename.

It doesn't help that everyone gets them confused with the sons of the serpent, a more interesting yet equally overexposed villain group.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I won't say Gruenwald was a bad writer but it was kinda whiplash reading through the 40 years of Captain America DVD and going from JM Dematteis' high-minded psychodrama with Vermin, Baron Zemo and Red Skull with all the grandiose political statements to stuff like "I, NOMAD, AM BEING A JERK TO D-MAN BECAUSE I AM INSECURE! GRR!" and snake dudes.

And yeah his 90s stuff is genuinely crummy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I like that design tbh. It's a bit shuma-gorath, but it's so much more creepy and interesting than like a green guy with gills or pointy ears.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bonebreaker was in the awesome Punisher beat-em-up game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's very clearly Hal Jordan under there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There was this short story in the Deadly Hands of Kung Fu one-shot from a couple years back (the one with the hilarious Death Race story written by Hickman) where cosmic mute disc Midnight fought against and ultimately reconciled with Shang Chi. :unsmith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

wait, he isn't dead? the inexplicable kree space clone of a guy who died in his first appearance somehow managed to survive all this time?

It was a flashback story, so who knows.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Odonata posted:

Mongoose looks like the lovechild of Wolverine and Sabertooth, and not in a good way.

He's what happens if they do the fusion dance wrong.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That guy loving rules.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Zdarsky loves his Ani-men, I guess.

Edge & Christian posted:

Ahem, that's Frog-Man II, who they EXPLICITLY TELL YOU NOT TO CONFUSE WITH FROG-MAN I. THEY ASKED YOU POLITELY BUT FIRMLY RIGHT IN THE MASTER EDITION.

Frog-man 2 is also pretty obviously biting Leap-Frog's gimmick more than anything to do with the original Frog-man.

And since I brought up Leap-Frog, I can't not bring up how terrifying he used to look.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Frog-Man II is literally Leap-Frog's son who took his costume and tried to make something of himself.

I think you're conflating 2 stories involving frogs that were published the same year.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He looks so happy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Knowing that in the future you're doomed to turn into an evil despot is a pretty interesting gimmick, and Abnett and Lanning used it really well in Guardians of the Galaxy. Adam Warlock stories can get a bit up their own rear end, especially Infinity Crusade and other late-era Starlin stuff, but he was always a very interesting character and central to a lot of Starlin's best work, just like Thanos (although Adam's design isn't quite as timeless as his evil bosom buddy's).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Didn't Warlock

Sort of, you're getting two storylines mixed up, but that's spoilers and I was avoiding getting into specifics because it's a really good run!!!!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Pretty sure those 90s trading cards used a similar asterisk.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think they were also more common when there was a concerted attempt to avoid overpowered characters in the Marvel universe, to avoid the perceived problems at DC. Even heavy hitters like Hulk and Thor were saddled with weaknesses for that specific reason. Kitty Pryde used to have to hold her breath to stay intangible, giving her a time limit on the ability because otherwise it would be really, really overpowered. That sort of idea that no one can be too powerful has faded away in the last 20+ years.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

All three are based on The Heap who debuted in 1942.

That guy is scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOtn9ofWWaI

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hate-Monger is one of the great Marvel villains because yeah, he's basically just Hitler, but the point of him is that Nazi Germany can happen anywhere if we let hate blind us. There's been a bunch of Hate-Mongers, some without the Hitler consciousness, but they're all the same basic metaphor.

A couple years ago, the Black Panther comic had a version of the Hate-Monger who had a bodyguard who remains my favorite on-the-nose political commentary in recent years.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

former partner of blastaar. as in the throwaway ff villain who lives in the negative zone? that's weird as heck even for the mind of hitler in a cloned body.

also, i like how he has a great big h on his shirt.

I might be getting my stories confused, but I'm pretty sure the Hate-Monger who teamed up with Blastaar was secretly the Man-Beast, who's basically the Satan of Counter-Earth. He pretended to be Hate-Monger because he thought it was funny(the actual reason was probably just for the story to have a pointless twist).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

Man-Beast seems to have spent more time being Hate Monger than Hitler did, but none of it with Blastaar. I was thinking maybe they got their wires crossed with Psycho Man who had a robot Hate Monger built, but even he doesn't get any hits. Blastaar's only friend seems to be Annihilus who hates him.

Yeah I checked and I was confused. I read too many issues of old Spider-man in a row and melded the stories in my mind. Hate-Monger/Man-Beast did have allies who blasted things, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Most of the weirdos in this thread are more bad designs than bad characters.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Everything about that guy is the most 90s thing ever. Hitler's too old fashioned, we need Evil David Bowie to be the new Hate-Monger!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Spot was pretty fun in Modok's 11.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Even though some parts of that design are really goofy, I prefer it to the modern interpretations where he just looks like a lord of the rings Balrog.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

I honestly think Punisher 2099 was just too good to last for its time. I have a feeling some people took it on faith that the story was 100% serious.

Considering other comics of the era, it would've been very difficult to identify it as tongue-in-cheek.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

It's such a clusterfuck. The whole comic starts as a dystopian world ruled by the Planeteers in which Looten Plunder is a good guy who swiftly progresses from concerned citizen to garbage avenger to garbage wolverine before being, as mentioned, put on the adamantium space bus.

I briefly forgot what thread this was and thought you were describing an actual Captain Planet comic being written by the Flintstones guy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

It's a comic written by Stan Lee and neither Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko were involved. Of course it's awful.

Somewhere Don Heck is going "Wow, rude"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

I think we need some more orb-headed characters in this thread.

Day 42: Occult

I have no clue who this is. And yes, there is a reason for the "R" on the costume. But it's not a good one.

That dude looks like a late 80s/early 90s indie comic character drawn in an overly realistic style.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I love that someone who did something as major as crippling Prof X is such an obscure forgettable nobody.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

*He was able to walk briefly as a result of being infected by Stryfe with a TO virus which Apocalypse cured. He used his time to rollerblade with Jubilee

Wouldn't we all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember how in early X-Men, Professor X was (like everyone else in the cast possibly including Bobby) secretly in love with Jean Grey and had all this internal angst over, "How could she ever love... a cripple?!" Strange times.

That was like, one thought bubble in one issue.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Machete has a special place in my heart as a D-lister because he's died and come back with zero explanation a bunch of times, and there have been at least 2 or 3 of them, but most writers never bother saying which Machete they're using when he shows up as part of the Batroc Brigade. His history is a confusing loving mess and he's just forgettable enough that no one cares.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lobok posted:

Does Machete actually have extensive knowledge of guerilla tactics or is that just a padded resume way of saying he likes surprise attacks.

If guerilla tactics means throwing knives at people from off-panel and missing, he's the master of that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That really does look like those parodies of 90s superheroes that showed up in Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. All he's missing is a glowing eye and a Gambit headsock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's hard to tell from the bio if this is the same guy, but there was a Power Broker who was involved with the underground super-wrestling league, and he would give his wrestlers, and later random crooks, super-powers, usually generic super strength and toughness. He's the guy who gave D-Man his powers, and a couple of nobody villains owe their origin to him. The bio certainly does seem to imply it's the same guy, and I guess he used the D-man treatment on himself to the nth degree to turn into that slab of meat.

• Locked thread